ADVERTISEMENT

Oklahoma/Nebraska game

Concessions and and paraphenalia sales are way more than the gate and the dollar impact to the city of Lincoln and the state DWARFs both gate and concessions for a home game.
I've been reading you logic throughout, and I get it. I guess I would argue that some things are more important than money. I don't mean to say that money is unimportant, but money isn't everything. This feels like one of those things. No amount of money can repair the damage this would do to the NU image, and I don't mean in the eyes of the broader public, but in the eyes of Husker fans. People need something to believe in, especially when all else is lost. Nebraska is a miserably bad football team. We haven't been relevant for the better part of two decades. An entire generation of kids have only the foggiest notion of what this program once was, and what it meant to the state. If seasoned fans bring anything to the present, it is that Nebraska football stood for excellence, and an uncompromising devotion to action on the field. Little by little we've seen the vestiges of our former glory slip away, stripped to the bone. Now it would seem the deed we exalt is no longer the game, but rather the glory of a big payday.

Reactions: HuskerDana
given his track record, he'd either bend over & take it or call someone else to handle his business.
You need to look up the definition of what a idiot is. Maybe that will slow you down when it comes to posting. It may help you think before you post.
I'm not kidding and on top of that, what do you get out of coming to a teams sports forum where most here are Nebraska fans and saying the stupid nonsense you post?
Do you have a job? Do you have better things you could be doing?

Reactions: GILL T
we need to drop this game if we haven't replaced mills yet, and blocking for whoever runs...
martinez throwing interceptions ain't gonna get er done against the okies.

apparently covid has transformed people into pass happy fans who want to see NU football get skull dragged every saturday, and we should cancel all games till this epidemic has passed...

Good on ya. But you know this looks really bad for y’all right? Runnin away ain’t a good look.

Go right ahead and trash Iowa and ISU.

Iowa has owned you for the last 6 years. And that’s just in football.

ISU goes bowling now. Nebraska doesn’t.

And ISU doesn’t hide from OU. Even beat em last year.
In a week or 2, nobody will even remember this.
I'll have what he's having.

Harvard doesn't have majors. They have areas of emphasis. Her's is Russian History and Language.

Russian History and Language? Well.. you kept her off the stripper pole so you did you job, but what kind of joke “area of emphasis” is that?

I'm a fan. I would love to have another home game I could go to instead of watching OU thrash us on national TV while we have to listen to that crappy Boomer Sooner anthem.

I'm sorry, I just don't understand this. I simply can't agree and I think most of the fan base feels the same way.

You need to look up the definition of what a idiot is. Maybe that will slow you down when it comes to posting. It may help you think before you post.
I'm not kidding and on top of that, what do you get out of coming to a teams sports forum where most here are Nebraska fans and saying the stupid nonsense you post?
Do you have a job? Do you have better things you could be doing?
Apparently you have looked up the definition of idiot and you are still posting here.

The stimulus checks are being sent out as we speak, you should be able to pay for that premium package again.

I'm sorry, I just don't understand this. I simply can't agree and I think most of the fan base feels the same way.
You're confusing the vocal minority on message boards and social media with "most of the fan base". Social media and message board posters do NOT represent the majority of Husker fans. They represent a relatively small segment of the most rabid fans. They're people who are pissed and choose to vent publicly. Most Husker fans really don't care that much about playing OU again. That rivalry died over 30 years ago. I lived and died by those OU games. I was in the stadium when Osborne finally beat them and got swept on to the field by the crush of fans pushing from behind. I was there when they carried pieces of the goal posts down the street. NOW, I don't give a damn about OU. They've screwed NU over in HUGE ways multiple times in the years since then. To hell with OU. They killed the Big 8.

Russian History and Language? Well.. you kept her off the stripper pole so you did you job, but what kind of joke “area of emphasis” is that?
Well she is in to dance. As a sophomore she already had a 100K plus job offer. She did a fellowship with the McCain Institute this semester and I believe has an internship lined up for this summer. She'll be fine. I'm not sure if she'll take that job after undergrad. She's talking about applying to law school and if she gets in to one of the top law schools she might do that. Others in her area of study usually have multiple job offers in excess of 100K at graduation. The upside for kids graduating from Harvard is unlimited.

Believe me when she told me what she wanted to study I was concerned. 70K a year for a what started out as "History and Government"? She knows what she's doing. I did well in college but I came from a very small town and was worried more about putting food on the table when I graduated. She thinks bigger than that and will succeed.

dingle, how did OU kill the Big 8...I realize they cheated every time they got the chance but the SWC was dying and the Big 8 rescued them...

Majority of the fan base wanted no part of cancelling the OU game and playing a Old Dominion..

Ever hear the saying: It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubts?
I said almost the same thing when I heard what she was going to study. She was in to debate and a national qualifier in that and has had a specific plan in mind since she was a junior in high school. It doesn't make sense to a small town dad who just wanted to be sure he could provide for his family.

dingle, how did OU kill the Big 8...I realize they cheated every time they got the chance but the SWC was dying and the Big 8 rescued them...

Majority of the fan base wanted no part of cancelling the OU game and playing a Old Dominion..
OU led the charge to add the Texas schools to the conference. Without OU pushing it would have never happened. The OU/Texas rivalry was WAY bigger to them than the NU/OU rivalry. They messed with us at every chance they got. Screw em. Nostalgia over what the Big 8 was and those big games is fine. That's history though. Time to move on with life and forget about the old girl friend. It does nothing for our football program. Absolutely nothing other than to massage the egos of some of the players who played in that game and rekindle memories of older fans.

We have a young team that needs to experience winning. Sure IF by some miracle we pull off an upset that would be great. That's like putting your retirement funds on a 1:100 long shot at the track though. At this point given where we are at (which wasn't expected when the game was scheduled) we need a patsie on the schedule instead of OU. We've got enough tough games. IF Frost only wins 5 games this year with a loss to OU and misses a bowl game, is that Moos's and Green's fault for caving to pressure from social media and the fans? You bet it is. We need to build this program up to help recruiting and build confidence in the players. Using the escape clause in the contract would have been the smart thing to do. Instead we're going to cave to emotion instead of using common sense. 5 million for a home game win versus a million dollar buyout to get us out of getting trashed on national TV. Easy business decision.

I haven't talked to a single Husker fan other than the people on this board who think playing OU right now is a good idea. Not one.

Reactions: WHCSC
I haven't talked to a single Husker fan other than the people on this board who think playing OU right now is a good idea. Not one.
That's because it is not. It is like willingly adding another tOSU to the schedule. Am I happy about that fact. No. Does Frost stand to take some of the blame? Yes. I have no idea when the game was scheduled, but I'm sure Frost intended the team to be competitive in what was to be a likely loss, but a good learning experience.
We should attempt to swap the OU game out for a different opponent and take the PR heat that comes with it.

dinglefritz, I’ve talked to a half dozen of my Husker friends and no one wanted no part of playing some other team for a win and ducking the OU game that was scheduled in 2012..

One friend said you fight to WIN you don’t run AWAY from a fight..

Reactions: John_J_Rambo

Nobody is arguing if it's a good idea or not (but for the record it's not) . We're saying we promised to do it, signed a contract, and they are on the schedule and we look like monkeys screwing a bunch of footballs trying to back out now. Nobody would give a rats ass if we said "No" to scheduling the game to start with, but we said yes.

....and show me all this national support we have in our attempt to back out last week, because I ain't seen it.

Nobody is arguing if it's a good idea or not (but for the record it's not) . We're saying we promised to do it, signed a contract, and they are on the schedule and we look like monkeys screwing a bunch of footballs trying to back out now. Nobody would give a rats ass if we said "No" to scheduling the game to start with, but we said yes.

....and show me all this national support we have in our attempt to back out last week, because I ain't seen it.
And there is an opt out clause in the contract that we signed. I would say that the athletic department drop in income of 50 million dollars from last year is MORE than enough reason to invoke the opt out clause in the contract. Unfortunately for our university the delusional nostalgic segment of our fan base threw a hissy fit.

• Haha
And there is an opt out clause in the contract that we signed. I would say that the athletic department drop in income of 50 million dollars from last year is MORE than enough reason to invoke the opt out clause in the contract. Unfortunately for our university the delusional nostalgic segment of our fan base threw a hissy fit.
unfortunately? pathetic.

getting our dicks kicked in by OU is one of the only times we'll be nationally relevant in 2021.

we've fallen so far that fans are cheering harder for the university to make money they'll never sniff over playing the best teams we can.

Terrible take. Keep waiving that white flag.

You are coo coo for coco puffs on this issue.

I am a visitor to your board, but just dropped by to say how EXCITED that I am for this year's upcoming OU/NU game.....and hopes for a renewal of that rivalry. Though I love college football, the loss of the OU/NU rivalry is something that I lament greatly. I grew up with that rivalry and cherished those games like none other. I have made four trips to Lincoln for those games (1983, 1987, 2005, 2009) and can recount the plays and players that impacted each. The games in 1983 and 1987 that I attended as a teen will always be etched in my mind.

Even though OU & NU are scheduled to play four times this decade, it won't be enough. If you put truth serum in me, my wish is that these four games can be a catalyst to bring Nebraska back to the Big XII where it rightfully belongs. The old issues that resulted in the parting of ways have been somewhat resolved. My perception is that Tom Osborne's distaste for Texas' outsized influence was the driving force for the departure. But in the past decade, Texas has been humbled, the Longhorn Network likely won't be renewed by ESPN, and there is new leadership in Austin. -- Along with OU, Nebraska needs to be playing the likes of Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, and OSU.....who they have geographic and cultural alignment with in lieu of the likes of Maryland, Rutgers, Northwestern, Illinois, etc. in which they don't. Yes, there might be more money available to NU with the Big 10, but there would be a restoration of a former Nebraska recruiting base (texas), a perceived happier fan base, less travel.....and a chance to reclaim a conference heritage it helped create. If this past fall events have proven anything, it is that the Big 10 takes Nebraska for granted and is not treated on the same footing as the other powers. If Nebraska came back to the Big XII (and partnered with perhaps a BYU in an north division), it would be a win-win for all.

In the meantime, let's all start getting excited about what OU and NU attain this season....which is a chance to battle it out again on the gridiron. Honoring the 50th anniversary of the 1971 Game of the Century is something we all have looked forward to. Too many of those great players are dying off each year. Honoring them is only part of it.....but honoring the greatest that was the OU/NU rivalry is even more important. I believe these four games this decade will give us all a taste of something we want more.

Boomer!
The game in 1983 was in Norman. Do you mean 1982?

You're confusing the vocal minority on message boards and social media with "most of the fan base". Social media and message board posters do NOT represent the majority of Husker fans. They represent a relatively small segment of the most rabid fans. They're people who are pissed and choose to vent publicly. Most Husker fans really don't care that much about playing OU again. That rivalry died over 30 years ago. I lived and died by those OU games. I was in the stadium when Osborne finally beat them and got swept on to the field by the crush of fans pushing from behind. I was there when they carried pieces of the goal posts down the street. NOW, I don't give a damn about OU. They've screwed NU over in HUGE ways multiple times in the years since then. To hell with OU. They killed the Big 8.
Cry me a river

This is one issue dinglefritz is off his rocker...
Says the nostalgic old fart. Where's a winking emojii when you need one. They've added a bunch of formatting options and totally got rid of the things people use on almost every post. Stupid.

Terrible take. Keep waiving that white flag.
I'm a business man. Turning down a net return north of 8 million for a home game so that we can say we played OU is just plain foolish. People lost their freaking minds over a 4 million dollar coach buyout. 8 million reasons. ZERO reasons other than nostalgia to play OU.

• Haha
I'm a business man. Turning down a net return north of 8 million for a home game so that we can say we played OU is just plain foolish. People lost their freaking minds over a 4 million dollar coach buyout. 8 million reasons. ZERO reasons other than nostalgia to play OU.
yes, mr. business man. it's exactly that black/white, and there are zero other factors.

you know, just like in business.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT