ADVERTISEMENT

Oklahoma/Nebraska game

Mar 17, 2005
I am a visitor to your board, but just dropped by to say how EXCITED that I am for this year's upcoming OU/NU game.....and hopes for a renewal of that rivalry. Though I love college football, the loss of the OU/NU rivalry is something that I lament greatly. I grew up with that rivalry and cherished those games like none other. I have made four trips to Lincoln for those games (1983, 1987, 2005, 2009) and can recount the plays and players that impacted each. The games in 1983 and 1987 that I attended as a teen will always be etched in my mind.

Even though OU & NU are scheduled to play four times this decade, it won't be enough. If you put truth serum in me, my wish is that these four games can be a catalyst to bring Nebraska back to the Big XII where it rightfully belongs. The old issues that resulted in the parting of ways have been somewhat resolved. My perception is that Tom Osborne's distaste for Texas' outsized influence was the driving force for the departure. But in the past decade, Texas has been humbled, the Longhorn Network likely won't be renewed by ESPN, and there is new leadership in Austin. -- Along with OU, Nebraska needs to be playing the likes of Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, and OSU.....who they have geographic and cultural alignment with in lieu of the likes of Maryland, Rutgers, Northwestern, Illinois, etc. in which they don't. Yes, there might be more money available to NU with the Big 10, but there would be a restoration of a former Nebraska recruiting base (texas), a perceived happier fan base, less travel.....and a chance to reclaim a conference heritage it helped create. If this past fall events have proven anything, it is that the Big 10 takes Nebraska for granted and is not treated on the same footing as the other powers. If Nebraska came back to the Big XII (and partnered with perhaps a BYU in an north division), it would be a win-win for all.

In the meantime, let's all start getting excited about what OU and NU attain this season....which is a chance to battle it out again on the gridiron. Honoring the 50th anniversary of the 1971 Game of the Century is something we all have looked forward to. Too many of those great players are dying off each year. Honoring them is only part of it.....but honoring the greatest that was the OU/NU rivalry is even more important. I believe these four games this decade will give us all a taste of something we want more.

Boomer!

I am a visitor to your board, but just dropped by to say how EXCITED that I am for this year's upcoming OU/NU game.....and hopes for a renewal of that rivalry. Though I love college football, the loss of the OU/NU rivalry is something that I lament greatly. I grew up with that rivalry and cherished those games like none other. I have made four trips to Lincoln for those games (1983, 1987, 2005, 2009) and can recount the plays and players that impacted each. The games in 1983 and 1987 that I attended as a teen will always be etched in my mind.

Even though OU & NU are scheduled to play four times this decade, it won't be enough. If you put truth serum in me, my wish is that these four games can be a catalyst to bring Nebraska back to the Big XII where it rightfully belongs. The old issues that resulted in the parting of ways have been somewhat resolved. My perception is that Tom Osborne's distaste for Texas' outsized influence was the driving force for the departure. But in the past decade, Texas has been humbled, the Longhorn Network likely won't be renewed by ESPN, and there is new leadership in Austin. -- Along with OU, Nebraska needs to be playing the likes of Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, and OSU.....who they have geographic and cultural alignment with in lieu of the likes of Maryland, Rutgers, Northwestern, Illinois, etc. in which they don't. Yes, there might be more money available to NU with the Big 10, but there would be a restoration of a former Nebraska recruiting base (texas), a perceived happier fan base, less travel.....and a chance to reclaim a conference heritage it helped create. If this past fall events have proven anything, it is that the Big 10 takes Nebraska for granted and is not treated on the same footing as the other powers. If Nebraska came back to the Big XII (and partnered with perhaps a BYU in an north division), it would be a win-win for all.

In the meantime, let's all start getting excited about what OU and NU attain this season....which is a chance to battle it out again on the gridiron. Honoring the 50th anniversary of the 1971 Game of the Century is something we all have looked forward to. Too many of those great players are dying off each year. Honoring them is only part of it.....but honoring the greatest that was the OU/NU rivalry is even more important. I believe these four games this decade will give us all a taste of something we want more.

Boomer!
Good post and I'm with you on missing the good ol sooner vs huskers every year.
I would think the big 12 would have to bring Missouri, Colorado and Nebraska back and get rid of Texas for it to work.
Not happening!

Great Post 1893..
The biggest player that has passed away that I was very saddened hearing was the great Jack Mildren..

I’ve always said that the 1971 OU team was the greatest team to NOT win the national championship even more so than our scoring explosion 1983 team....

Just booked my room in Norman for the weekend of the game. Will be showing up with a crew of husker fans ready to represent! Can’t wait!

Love it!

Been a bit Gun shy going to away games lately because of always finding away to lose them...

Good post and I'm with you on missing the good ol sooner vs huskers every year.
I would think the big 12 would have to bring Missouri, Colorado and Nebraska back and get rid of Texas for it to work.
Not happening!

Exactly. I would still bet Texass probably still runs the BigXII in all ways which is something Nebraska, Missouri, Colorado & Texas AM will never, ever want to deal with again.

Boomer!
Nicely said. I believe the game in the fall will be a lot closer than you probably think it will be. Take care.

It is sad that we will get our sh$t kicked in by a fraud coach (Lincoln Reilly) and a prima Donna in Spencer “Netflix” rattler

DISREGARD POST. ITS IRRELEVENT NOW. LOL

Oklahoma only played 3 games in 2020 vs. teams that play any semblance of defense:

Iowa State twice
Baylor

In those 3 games, the Sooners averaged 27.7 points and 364 yards per game.

Nebraska will be better defensively in 2021 than both those squads. I don't think Spencer Rattler is going to do anything spectacular. But the challenge for Nebraska is you know.... not to give up 13 points on special teams and turn the ball over 5 times.

I'm not drinking in any crazy Husker fan Kool - Aid when I suggest Nebraska's defensive front is going to give Oklahoma a ton of fits.

It will be rather fascinating going into that game. OU is going to play Tulane and Western Carolina. They will go into the Nebraska game averaging 65 points and 650 yards per game.

Nebraska is going to play two bad offenses and will likely be carrying some gaudy defensive numbers.

Last edited:
frost trying to save his job

getting beat 1000-0 by an actual program doesn't help

this is the year, though! even he doesn't believe the bullsh*t he's shoveling, it appears

At this point, I cant believe that is the reason. If I hear a lame excuse, then I may believe that is the reason. I actually dont mind our chances of making it a game.

If this is true, I don't think I can give the benefit of the doubt to anything related to this program going forward.... all the way from the ball boy up to the AD and everyone in between. I got why some players wanted last season to end, no problem, but I still held out hope Frost might get it done here, but if this is true, this program is being run and coached by a bunch of freaking pussies.

Please tell me this isn't actually just the AD trying to schedule a cupcake game because we're scared to play Oklahoma. I really wanna hear the explanation for this.
Might be nothing more than a revenue grab. IF we can buy out OU, there might be millions to made by scheduling a home game IF the B1G lets us fill the stadium. People under-estimate how much money a home game brings in to Lincoln and NU. Millions. The athletic department is scrambling to find money right now. The lost revenue has had to kill PBA, the city of Lincoln and the athletic department.

Reactions: bshirt73 and WHCSC
Might be nothing more than a revenue grab. IF we can buy out OU, there might be millions to made by scheduling a home game IF the B1G lets us fill the stadium. People under-estimate how much money a home game brings in to Lincoln and NU. Millions. The athletic department is scrambling to find money right now. The lost revenue has had to kill PBA, the city of Lincoln and the athletic department.
if this is indeed the reason, I hope there are zero NU fans in the seats on Sept 18th.

everyone in Husker Nation deserves better!

Please tell me this isn't actually just the AD trying to schedule a cupcake game because we're scared to play Oklahoma. I really wanna hear the explanation for this.
if this is indeed the reason, I hope there are zero NU fans in the seats on Sept 18th.

everyone in Husker Nation deserves better!

Nebraska plays one home game in September - Its the 11th. This comes on the heals of having no revenue in 2020. That has been devastating to the local economy and the Athletic Department.

The next scheduled home game for Nebraska is October 2nd.

Since Nebraska plays in Week 0, they may be looking to schedule a home game on September 4th, and then that would allow them a bye on September 18th.

Its a bad look.. I understand the angst, but Nebraska is trying to earn revenue. The team only has 7 home games scheduled in 2020.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT