ADVERTISEMENT

Oklahoma having a "standing invitation" to the B1G?

BYU and Notre Dame of course would be at the top of their wish list, but they are both long shots. Houston would seem to be next in line. Assuming they don't raid another Power 5 conference, there aren't a whole lot of options after that. Maybe Boise St., Tulsa, Colorado St., San Diego St., UNLV or Central Florida?

OU might not bring nothing to the table for Nebraska, but it brings one of the the top brands the history of college football to the conference. Kansas? Great. I hate basketball, so I guess they don't really excite me.
breaking 0u vs ut and bringing back NU vs 0u would be huge. oklahoma is basically a texas team, throw in tcu and baylor, and recruiting texas for NU would open back up more, and leave ut scrambling.

I don't follow bball much, but ku , vs michigan state or indiana seems like it would be decent Cool match-ups

BYU would be another if they no longer want to be a Independent.

byu gets thrown out there a lot, but culturally, i dont think they fit. i think they would prefer the pac12 - if they feel compelled to get to 14. if the b12 stays together, it will only be able to add houston and some hanger on, like tx st or utsa, which is why ou is talking exit strategy.

IF ou has standing offers, boren prefers the b1g, but im guessing boosters prefer the sec.

breaking 0u vs ut and bringing back NU vs 0u would be huge. oklahoma is basically a texas team, throw in tcu and baylor, and recruiting texas for NU would open back up more, and leave ut scrambling.

i would prefer ou to move to the b1g for selfish reasons - i'd see more games, but i think its a push - i think the boosters/fans prefer the sec. and is the sec is just waiting for ou and tx to acknowledge their devaluation and can add them, like the b1g added us, at a discount...? i would think the sec wants nothing to do with the rest of the b12.

i would prefer ou to move to the b1g for selfish reasons - i'd see more games, but i think its a push - i think the boosters/fans prefer the sec. and is the sec is just waiting for ou and tx to acknowledge their devaluation and can add them, like the b1g added us, at a discount...? i would think the sec wants nothing to do with the rest of the b12.
I think 0u would rather be associated with the BIG then sec. as far as the university as a whole.
and ut won't go to the sec, so that leaves them watching late night game vs arizona, sou and texas tech in a desert.
plus tcu and bu are pretty good now and can build on it.
plus tcu and baylor are not insane ego maniacs like ut

the academians at ou would agree, i think fans/boosters fancy the sec. i could see tx viewing themselves as glamourous west coasters, but if there is another landgrab, i think the sec makes the overture to tx.

plus tcu and baylor are not insane ego maniacs like ut
im not sure about this...

My point was to have posters think before putting OU on such a huge pedestal. I realize all schools do this but am always surprised by the huge OU love fest on this site. Nothing they do will ever benefit us in any way.
At the minimum adding OU/KU will increase TV payouts for NU.

Can OU and KU leave without bringing OSU and K St. with them?

20 years ago i would of probably said no. But this a new age when Texas A&M can leave the Horns and never look back. Oklahoma and Kansas WILL be in the B1G without Okie St or K-State. It will happen because it makes way too much sense for everyone involved.

I would love to see OU and KU join the B1G.

It may not be popular with the Texas hate among some of the fan base, but it would actually be a great thing if we could bring in UT and maybe another Texas school (Baylor/TCU/Houston).

Why?

1. It opens up Texas recruiting again. I think moving to the B1G really hurt our recruiting down there in many ways.
  2. Texas isn't going to get control of the conference like before.
  3. The number of eyeballs in the Texas market is huge.
  4. OU and KU each have great brands in their respective sports.
  5. Strengthens the B1G even more so against the SEC.
  6. It creates 2 divisions of 9 teams and would make the B1G West feel a little more like home.
The B1G would be a Super Conference.

I have one major sticking point to lay on the table...
Texas destroys everything it touches.

Reactions: BolderHusker
Kansas to the B1G makes sense. Oklahoma not so much.
My point was to have posters think before putting OU on such a huge pedestal. I realize all schools do this but am always surprised by the huge OU love fest on this site. Nothing they do will ever benefit us in any way.

The B1G needs balance between the two divisions or it'll end up exactly like the old Big 12. Adding Oklahoma to the West balances out the divisions instantly. Plus that move puts us in the middle of recruiting from the East to the South. We would get all the benefits of Texas recruiting without the Horns bringing all their BS into the mix. Kansas just adds a little spice to the mix.

Reactions: Redblood23

The way the East and West Divisions are set up now the East has ALL the huge recruiting areas. Oklahoma would give the divisions balance instantly and that is in our favor in a way that can't be overstate.

Reactions: Redblood23
the academians at ou would agree, i think fans/boosters fancy the sec. i could see tx viewing themselves as glamourous west coasters, but if there is another landgrab, i think the sec makes the overture to tx.

im not sure about this...
I never seen baylor or tcu, trying to take half the big 12 to the pac 12 one day,
then trying to make everyone sign longhorn network " teir 2 and 3" "loyalty" pledges the next day.
that was some serious bs.:eek:

I never seen baylor or tcu, trying to take half the big 12 to the pac 12 one day,
then trying to make everyone sign longhorn network " teir 2 and 3" "loyalty" pledges the next day.

Lol! Texas is a cancer in every sense of the word. Only a fool would introduce this disease to a healthy body when you've seen it assimilate and destroy everything it touches.

Reactions: BolderHusker
Lol! Texas is a cancer in every sense of the word. Only a fool would introduce this disease to a healthy body when you've seen it assimilate and destroy everything it touches.
exactly, and how do you get rid of cancer? cut it out completely. this way you have NU , 0u, baylor and tcu locking up the best talent in texas. (and I suppose a&m will get theirs). and you force texas out to wander in the desert with the southern part of the pac. and 0u and ku dump osu and ksu, and grab the best talent in their state.
then them 500 mile radius diamonds in the rough sign with NU instead of ksu or isu.
and the play off system gets their 4 super conferences.

I think it makes more sense for the 4 super conferences to be the sec, big, pac, and big 12. but since texas has to be constantly retarded, Im ok with ditching the big 12 and letting the acc be the 4th conferance.

Last edited:

no, but they wont have their own network or have the leverage to coerce other teams do what they wish either, but if they did have that stroke theyd probably do the same things. shady dealings and screwing people over seems to be the norm in tx.

no, but they wont have their own network or have the leverage to coerce other teams do what they wish either, but if they did have that stroke theyd probably do the same things. shady dealings and screwing people over seems to be the norm in tx.
well, I can't argue with that, I guess tcu and baylor at least have some standards they claim to hold. thats why I figure they maybe a lesser evil then lets say the horns.

well, I can't argue with that, I guess tcu and baylor at least have some standards they claim to hold. thats why I figure they maybe a lesser evil then lets say the horns.

The only two teams that make any sense going the B1G is Oklahoma and Kansas.
Oklahoma has the Blueblood status. Kansas has Basketball plus it's school fits in as a B1G campus. TCU, Baylor or any other Big 12 school just doesn't make sense. Texas has the Blueblood status but they don't play well with others. And plus in my opinion it would be beyond stupid to offer Texas a spot. Let them go to the Pac where they would fit in better then with the true conference mentality the B1G has.

The only two teams that make any sense going the B1G is Oklahoma and Kansas.
Oklahoma has the Blueblood status. Kansas has Basketball plus it's school fits in as a B1G campus. TCU, Baylor or any other Big 12 school just doesn't make sense. Texas has the Blueblood status but they don't play well with others. And plus in my opinion it would be beyond stupid to offer Texas a spot. Let them go to the Pac where they would fit in better then with the true conference mentality the B1G has.
I guess I suggested tcu and baylor is because:
A. the reason 0u clings so tight to ut is because they say it gives them playing time in texas for recruits. (which is their life blood, a quick look at oklahoma's roster is basically texans) Im thinking just replace ut with baylor and tcu. this could help justify the switch for 0u. I wouldn't want to see 0u enter the big 10 and be flat because they don't get anymore texas recruits. they don't know how to recruit all over like Nebraska. cause they never had to.
B. for the reason above, Nebraska playing tcu and baylor gives us exposer in texas. then you can tell the texas players parents, hey, you can drive to see your son play. at baylor, tcu and oklahoma. sometimes the best players don't have rich parents, so being able to drive to see their kid is a plus.
C. texas cable and the big 10, if baylor and tcu continue to produce they could bring a lot of tv's.

now I could take 0u, ku..and stop there..but some in this thread suggested more.
I would be ok with nd, but they have that texas attitude.
I would be ok with a florida state, or usc..for recruiting and tv markets, but that don't seem to be happening.
plus it would make no geological sence.
so I was just throwing out 2 teams in addition to 0u and ku, who might be worth it.
the tar heels might be a decent team to get, I think they have some tv pull.
west virgina plays decent football, but Im not sure they bring the tv sets.

teams like houston, smu, texas tech, and ut seem to have a shady history.

Last edited:
I guess I suggested tcu and baylor is because:
A. the reason 0u clings so tight to ut is because they say it gives them playing time in texas for recruits. Im thinking just replace ut with baylor and tcu. this could help justify the switch for 0u.
B. for the reason above, Nebraska playing tcu and baylor gives us exposer in texas. then you can tell the texas players parents, hey, you can drive to see your son play. at baylor, tcu and oklahoma. sometimes the best players don't have rich parents, so being able to drive to see their kid is a plus.
C. texas cable and the big 10

now I could take 0u, ku..and stop there..but some in this thread suggested more.
I would be ok with ND, but they have that texas attitude.
I would be ok with a florida state, or usc..for recruiting and tv markets, but that don't seem to be happening.
plus it would make no geological sence.
so I was just throwing out 2 teams in addition to 0u and ku, who might be worth it.

teams like houston, smu, texas tech, and ut seem to have a shady history.

I'm not really disagreeing with you. It's more from what I've judged from other B1G fan responses is that any school other than Texas is not going to happen. They just plain don't want TCU or Baylor. Hell, there are some that don't want Oklahoma for that matter. But that's the minority. Most see Oklahoma as a solid get and the other school that is acceptable is Kansas. Just purely look at their campus...
AerialViewToN_autumn.jpg

It could pass for Indiana, Purdue or Illinois.

I know I sound like I hate ut. but if delany (by some supernatural miracle) could transform them into thinking like a member school and not as the third reich..I could take them (as long as they sign the agreement in blood and it dna tested by the UN)... but that won't happen. so forget that.

I understand big 10 homers not wanting teams..I would still like to be in the big 8..but things change and I got over it.

and delany doesn't seem like a guy who sits around and waits for things to happen to him.
I think it would be cool to have a conferance that goes from texas to ny. and it's all connected by borders.

I put the roof on the spencer research library on the hill over looking ku's field, back in the 80's.
I watched NU beat ku something like 70-0 at that stadium then.

Last edited:
Reactions: red rover 70
Just a few clarifications:

KU does bring significant revenue and a large national audience with their basketball program.
KU and OU can leave little brothers when push comes to shove.
UT does not want a 12 team league.
Fans wants and opinions don't matter.
I spent late 80's avoiding spencer research library due to leaky roof.

But if UT were forced to go to 12:

Cincinnati would most likely be one. The 12th is up in the air. B12 screwed up big by turning down Louisville.
UT does not want Houston. The other schools don't want another texas team. Nope
Notre Dame ain't happening.
They had long talks with BYU already. Unless BYU realizes they are not texas or Notre Dame, this isn't an option.
Boise St was considered, but members were not too interested due to location/academics.
Colorado St- similar to Boise St. The B12 just doesn't want to go west.
Memphis has gained ground as an option. They have upped their commitment to football.
Florida St was talked about one time, but they are now locked tight with the ACC.
UCF and USF have been considered. UCF more likely of the two, but that travel doe.

Reactions: northeastNebraska
Just a few clarifications:

KU does bring significant revenue and a large national audience with their basketball program.
KU and OU can leave little brothers when push comes to shove.

You think KU brings significant revenue to the tune of 40-50 million a year? Anything less and Nebraska will get a smaller cut when the tv contracts are renegotiated. I'll go out on a very sturdy branch and say you may be overestimating the significance of college basketball.

1. bball doesn't drive conferance expansion, not sure how much ku ball makes but it's jr. money compared to NU football.
2. the reason to get ku back is the long history with NU, a border state to connect to okies, a nice travel game. and ku is probably aau. and leave ksu in the dust.
3. ut better worry about winning football games.
4. college football would look real silly with empty stands.
5. we do all of university of kansas modified, single ply, standing seam, and tile work.
(we have them covered)
the longhorn network is about to fold

The B1G can take KU, OU is a team fabricating its stature. No B1G for OU.

Last edited:
I still don't think the Big 12 is going anywhere, and that includes OU. I think they are hoping BYU and a school to be named later join, and get them back to 12. I don't see OU joining the B1G, ever, as in never ever.

I also predicted a Chief's-Seahawks Superbowl this year, soooooo WTF do I know.

People saying basketball doesn't drive expansion. It normally doesn't. But if you have a chance to get a school like Kansas or North Carolina/Duke, you take them. KU is a good school (AAU), good basketball tradition, KC market, and location is close to western schools.

I still don't think the Big 12 is going anywhere, and that includes OU. I think they are hoping BYU and a school to be named later join, and get them back to 12. I don't see OU joining the B1G, ever, as in never ever.

this is probably true, as most moves would make for 16 team conf's and that is probably seen as diminishing returns at this point.

still think byu sees themselves as pac12 material. the pac12 may not want them that badly, but if they don't mark territory their it could cost them. could you count them out from making a deal with the devil and offer tx, again?

this is probably true, as most moves would make for 16 team conf's and that is probably seen as diminishing returns at this point.

still think byu sees themselves as pac12 material. the pac12 may not want them that badly, but if they don't mark territory their it could cost them. could you count them out from making a deal with the devil and offer tx, again?

I don't think the Pac 12 needs them or wants them or cares at all about them to be honest. They already have the state of Utah, and BYU just doesn't bring anything to the table, except a warm body, which the Big 12 needs more than the Pac 12. BYU sucks, as others have already mentioned. They bring nothing except a list of stupid demands, and the Big 12 can't be picky so they might try to make it work, but the Pac 12 would tell them to pound sand, I would think.

If there is anything to this, I am fully confident in Jim Delaneys skills.

Someone said KU brings nothing, well, kinda. That is why you pair them up with an OU or ND type, when you expand. And they would bring ALOT to the BTN and our contracts with ESPN in basketball. I just don't think that compares to football money.

I would love to play OU every year. That would be awesome. And Bob is a BIG 10 guy, so I would think he would be comfortable with the move and on the side of making the move.

How much revenue a program brings in goes more by the "markets" a university brings to the table, not how many fans they have. That's why Maryland and Rutgers are even in the B1G. They bring Baltimore, DC, & NYC. OU and Kansas bring what?...Tulsa, OK City, Kansas City, & Wichita? Hell, Nebraska only really brought Omaha and Lincoln. BUT...we were a nationally recognized brand in football, same as OU. The B1G would dumb as dirt to not want OU. Most OU fans I talk to would rather be in the SEC than the B1G anyways. Kansas? I'd take them because I miss the old Big 8 and playing those teams. Do they bring anything for to the B1G other than a great b-ball program? No.

A couple things. For us to charge the amount of money we do for the BTN, the schools have to be in the state. That eliminates adding the KC market, and anything in Texas. So we would really only be adding OKC. Not bad, but far from a homerun.

OU would help with teir 1 rights. Which could be substantial. KU is not bringing much. Very little in fact. They would just be along for the ride.

I also predicted a Chief's-Seahawks Superbowl this year, soooooo WTF do I know.
Never say never they almost went to the PAC 12 and they are tired of Texas running the show in the big 12.Would not surprise me at all.

.......... they are tired of Texas running the show in the big 12........
I wouldn't be too sure about that. Since the formation of the B12, OU has sided STRONGLY with Texas. In fact OU's party-line support of Bevo is one of several reasons the B12 got so out of whack from Day 1 of that conference's formation.

KU will not get an invite, they are financially dilutive to existing BIG schools. OU can get an invite since they would be financially accretive. Besides it is in NU'S best interest for 500 mile recruiting not to have anymore BIG schools.

I wouldn't be too sure about that. Since the formation of the B12, OU has sided STRONGLY with Texas. In fact OU's party-line support of Bevo is one of several reasons the B12 got so out of whack from Day 1 of that conference's formation.

A couple things. For us to charge the amount of money we do for the BTN, the schools have to be in the state. That eliminates adding the KC market, and anything in Texas. So we would really only be adding OKC. Not bad, but far from a homerun.

OU would help with teir 1 rights. Which could be substantial. KU is not bringing much. Very little in fact. They would just be along for the ride.

Have to? TV executives are in the big business of maximizing revenue, and I am pretty sure they don't make silly little rules for themselves.

Having two conference games against teams we have history against would be great. I hope they're both in play as the B1G looks at 16 teams (which I would wager is going to happen at some point).

I think future economics of college sports "TV" revenue streams is really fascinating. Especially with the trend of cutting the cord. For example, instead of paying $100/mo for cable, will sports fans be willing to pay $10 for netflix, $10 for hulu, $10 for espn, $10 for BTN, $10 for the PAC12 network, and $10 for the ACC? Cutting directv and the cable companies out of the equation may even increase the total amount of revenue to conference networks, and all of a sudden those KU basketball fans that can't miss a Tuesday night game in February turn out to be very, very valuable.

What's a better deal for the conference, a $40mm/year/school deal with ESPN or $10/mo per subscriber of a streaming BTN service which has the rights to all conference games? Either way, the money is crazy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT