ADVERTISEMENT

ok, so much for Riley recruits always qualify

Nice. Point out where I criticized Bo about missing on top 50 talent. Or even 4 star talent. You won't find what isn't there.

You can be mad that I am a Riley apologist but I don't ever recall bagging on bo for recruits that never made it. I have pointed out that his best class had only 12 or so on campus 3 years later, but that is different than Watts and Blades never making it to campus.
How is that different?
Whatever, continue.

I never heard anybody say that. People did criticize him for signing as the only QB in a class a guy that everybody knew was going to play pro baseball and thus leaving us thin at the position. Riley hasn't done that.
Only criticism? Ok.
And no Riley has not done that.

How is that different?
Whatever, continue.
Timnsun at one point did literally discuss, "the inflated nature of Pelini's classes when you factor in the attrition."

Now some people say that the players leaving last year's class puts us at #42. Maybe it's OK to talk about, "the inflated nature of Riley's classes when you factor in the attrition."

Last edited:
Technically we're at 42. If a few programs right ahead missed missed on 15 percent of their then we might climb to 38th. With that said, (5) 4 stars in the class. OUCH!!! Unless you're one of the "4 or 5 star with heart"
Reranking classes is stupid unless you look at every single other team and whether their recruits made it to campus. What about a player who transfers and never plays for the school they signed with? Somebody who gets injured and never sees the field? Those could be taken off too. And what about somebody who just makes minimal impact? How do you rank them? Does a 4 or 5 star player who only plays as a backup and on special teams really worthy of that ranking? Do they get bumped down? How about a 2 star player who becomes a major starter and gets drafted? Do they get bumped up? Reranking classes is a nearly impossible endeavor from that standpoint.

Last edited:
Reranking classes is stupid unless you look at every single other team and whether their recruits made it to campus. What about a player who transfers and never plays for the school they signed with? Somebody who gets injured and never sees the field? Those could be taken off too. And what about somebody who just makes minimal impact? How do you rank them? Does a 4 or 5 star player who only plays as a backup and on special teams really worthy of that ranking? Do they get bumped down? How about a 2 star player who becomes a major starter and gets drafted? Do they get bumped up? Reranking classes is a nearly impossible endeavor from that standpoint.
Wouldn't a lot of those arguments apply to the initial class rankings as well? I think that is why a lot of average joes take a wait and see what they do on the field approach to evaluating recruiting.

Yes, pretty crazy. The much better approach is to take current starting players, some that will get drafted into the pro's, assign them the lowest possible rating and "prove" why Purdue and Illinois are beating you.

Can you list some .. I would be interested to see if they went elsewhere and were high level contributors. I suspect some had they shown high level promise would have remained on the team. I wish more recruits who, if after 2 years, hadn't shown any promise would move on and open up scholarships. I think there is a difference between getting a kid on campus and in pads and never getting them to the first official practice
Not taking sides, just curious myself so lets see:
Of the top rated guys:
Lucky: Didn't live up to the hype, but played a lot, and was good in Cally's O.
Suh: You know that story. I'll venture to say he panned out...
Dillard: Drafted. Panned out.
Bowman: Was a JUCO. 2 years and drafted. Panned out.
Picou: Came in, redshirted as a fresh, then academically ineligible the next offseason. Transferred to a DII school and fell off the radar.
Brooks: Didn't have much for stats, but played in a decent amount of games, mostly special teams I believe.
Beck: Lost the back-up spot to Ganz, transferred to NC State, where he was outshined by Russell Wilson, and decided to graduate and quit football early.
Potter: A couple of all-B12 honorable mentions, I'd say he panned out.

And that pretty much covers the 4 star or higher guys. One reason this class was rated so highly, and is forgotten too often I think, is that it was a massive class of 31 guys.

Yes, pretty crazy. The much better approach is to take current starting players, some that will get drafted into the pro's, assign them the lowest possible rating and "prove" why Purdue and Illinois are beating you.
Ha! Oh man, this is funny!

Can you list some .. I would be interested to see if they went elsewhere and were high level contributors. I suspect some had they shown high level promise would have remained on the team. I wish more recruits who, if after 2 years, hadn't shown any promise would move on and open up scholarships. I think there is a difference between getting a kid on campus and in pads and never getting them to the first official practice

Take that Rivals rating for example: Nebraska was fifth in total points, but only twelfth in terms of the average stars per prospect. One of the reasons the Huskers were rated so highly is the size of the class. Nebraska signed 30; most other schools signed 20 to 25. Still, a top fifteen class is still pretty good, correct?

Several other players left Nebraska prematurely: four-star running back Leon Jackson, four-star offensive lineman Rodney Picou, four-star defensive end/tight end Justin Tomerlin among them. All told, 15 players from that class had disappeared two years after signing day.

So which is it? A good class or an overrated class? Probably both, as it never lived up to the 2005 hype. That doesn't make it a failure; plenty of good players to go along side a legendary player. It's not their fault that so many people expected so much more from this group.

https://www.cornnation.com/2010/1/29/1273491/revisiting-the-2005-nebraska

I view this as a purely facetious post, and that's fine. It was a problem when Pelini was here, it's still a problem. You can sugarcoat a turd, but underneath, it's still a turd.

I'm entirely serious.

We should absolutely take risks on talents like Blades. That being said, we have to do everything we can to make sure we are not on a self-imposed probation WRT scholarships.

Reactions: Hoosker Du
Timnsun at one point did literally discuss, "the inflated nature of Pelini's classes when you factor in the attrition."

Now some people say that the players leaving last year's class puts us at #42. Maybe it's OK to talk about, "the inflated nature of Riley's classes when you factor in the attrition."
I'm fine with comparing overall attrition of star recruits. Riley has had more than a few. Are they comparable? I don't know. If you want to do the research go ahead.

So the OP has nearly 4000 posts and joined in 2002, about the same time as yours truly. How is it I don't ever recall seeing any of his/her 4000 posts here until the last day or so? Moderators must be messing with my failing memory.

Seriously. It's time to stop talking about Bo. What is your infatuation with the guy? You sound obsessed. Let it go already! It is time to just let it go!

Strangely enough while a select few are panicking about the team falling apart because we lost two freshman...in general I haven't been this comfortable with the overall talent level on the team in awhile.

It'll be cool to see how the development is going in about a month or so.

Until they actually get on campus, are going to class and practicing, getting too amped up about recruits is not my bag. But I do agree with those that are worried about HCMR and the staff holding back on offering all available schollies. I do understand holding a few for walkons who've earned them, but offer them up if there are players are worthy of one.

Ha, good luck, Tulsa still beating the Solich drum and its been 14 years. :rolleyes:
You missed last week when the lying, dirt burglar preacher got her panties in a bunch because someone brought up Blo.

Not taking sides, just curious myself so lets see:
Of the top rated guys:
Lucky: Didn't live up to the hype, but played a lot, and was good in Cally's O.
Suh: You know that story. I'll venture to say he panned out...
Dillard: Drafted. Panned out.
Bowman: Was a JUCO. 2 years and drafted. Panned out.
Picou: Came in, redshirted as a fresh, then academically ineligible the next offseason. Transferred to a DII school and fell off the radar.
Brooks: Didn't have much for stats, but played in a decent amount of games, mostly special teams I believe.
Beck: Lost the back-up spot to Ganz, transferred to NC State, where he was outshined by Russell Wilson, and decided to graduate and quit football early.
Potter: A couple of all-B12 honorable mentions, I'd say he panned out.

And that pretty much covers the 4 star or higher guys. One reason this class was rated so highly, and is forgotten too often I think, is that it was a massive class of 31 guys.
that 2005 class was very large and I believe when it was all said and done a very very good class

Players that made a difference

Slauson, Turner,Hardy,Suh, Dagunduro,Octavien,Taylor,Lucky,Congdon,Dillard,Cryer,Glenn,Potter,Bowman

Reactions: jlb321
that 2005 class was very large and I believe when it was all said and done a very very good class

Players that made a difference

Slauson, Turner,Hardy,Suh, Dagunduro,Octavien,Taylor,Lucky,Congdon,Dillard,Cryer,Glenn,Potter,Bowman

Indeed it was a pretty good class, in hindsight. Of the highly rated guys, there was really only really one bust, and that's a dang good rate if you ask me.

Still, that high rank should always be taken with a grain of salt. It was a HUGE class.

Reactions: jlb321
Indeed it was a pretty good class, in hindsight. Of the highly rated guys, there was really only really one bust, and that's a dang good rate if you ask me.

Still, that high rank should always be taken with a grain of salt. It was a HUGE class.
I think taking large classes is a valid way to build a roster of conference rules allow for it. From a logical standpoint you know a certain amount of players will be busts. The lower the recruit ranking the higher the bust percent. So if you recruit high numbers the chances you end up with players who perform well is also higher

Reactions: DukeOfSorrow
What's hilarious to me, though, is that in a lot of places I've seen people saying things like "I think" or "I hope" continuing with "they get this class to 20". That's looking more and more likely, but people want to press the panic button because of how it's happening. It's like, how did you think that would happen? What do you think attrition is?

I'm fine with schollies moving to '18, because it appears we have pretty good momentum, which would have been unfortunate if we only had like 15 slots to fill. Only on fan forums will you see people think taking 5 highly rated DBs in a class is a bad thing.

It should be done by cutting dead weight that hasnt panned out, not having 2 of your top 5 players absent from the start of fall camp.

It should be done by cutting dead weight that hasnt panned out, not having 2 of your top 5 players absent from the start of fall camp.
Oh I agree. Riley must be off his rocker to plan things out this way, huh. I can't believe they intentionally did this when there were so many better ways to get some extra roster space. Lets fire the whole staff!

:rolleyes:

Oh I agree. Riley must be off his rocker to plan things out this way, huh. I can't believe they intentionally did this when there were so many better ways to get some extra roster space. Lets fire the whole staff!

:rolleyes:

Step back from the ledge buddy, I never said he did it intentionally.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT