ADVERTISEMENT

OK.....push comes to shove....

spartanhusker

College Football Hall of Fame
May 29, 2001
...two questions for serious answers....many of you often state that SEC teams pay their players...so:
-how many are so confident in that assertion that you would risk enormous money on it?(not going to happen, but WOULD you?)
-do we do it?

Good morning!

...two questions for serious answers....many of you often state that SEC teams pay their players...so:
-how many are so confident in that assertion that you would risk enormous money on it?(not going to happen, but WOULD you?)
-do we do it?

Good morning!

Yes, no doubt

-do we do it?

Good morning!

Every school pays their players with the greatest gift of all KNOWLEDGE through a free education.

The most rampant cheaters in College Football reside in Norman, OK. All you have to do is look at their past. Its been occurring under the tenure of every past OU coach.

Hell, its fairly obvious Lincoln Riley has even elevated the level of impropriety. The dude is 35 years-old and his only previous coaching experience included the Offensive Coordinator at East Carolina.

And this kid was just "handpicked" to take over the Oklahoma Freakin Sooners? And then as soon as he takes over the head job they are now recruiting and signing more 5 Star superstars than ever before?

Its clear the money folks knew they could facilitate the Car laundering and cash payouts with Riley at the helm.

-do we do it?

Good morning!
It happens 100% there have been people who have done interviews on the topic. They are called "bag men" They are the guys who are behind the scenes putting up the money or cars or whatever. Im sure it just isn't the SEC "paying" their players. I would bet at some point yes even Nebraska did/does it. Sounds like it is very common around the country.

It happens 100% there have been people who have done interviews on the topic. They are called "bag men" They are the guys who are behind the scenes putting up the money or cars or whatever. Im sure it just isn't the SEC "paying" their players. I would bet at some point yes even Nebraska did/does it. Sounds like it is very common around the country.

this. Yes to both.

Reactions: husker2612
Whether or not some teams wind up finding creative ways to pay players, I think the players should be paid, should be able to form a union/organize representation, and should be able to profit from the advertising that is allllllll around them.

Why? Football is insanely dangerous, your window to succeed in it is small, many players (maybe even over 50%) leave without a degree (in general, I'm not talking about Nebraska in particular), and they don't even really care about the school part sometimes, so why make them pretend to?

I would even support, also, the idea that if a player leaves for a pro league early, that the university still honor their scholarship if they want to come back and finish their degree when their pro career is over.

Basically, I think the NCAA is an evil cartel that barely enforces its own rules and profits tremendously from the labor and risk many athletes put themselves through. This was not always the case, but it certainly is now.

Reactions: Top_Gun_
Athletes bitching about people making money on their name just need to stop. It's life. Move on. Lot's of occupations are dangerous, and people get hurt and they don't have anything to fall back on. Also, talented people in a lot of organizations make the top a lot of money and don't receive the amounts of what they should. If they are the best, they eventually get paid like the best for their company or they find something else.

Also, a lot of these guys are getting paid, even at Nebraska, and this isn't taking into account all of the free shit the University provides (Room and board, free education, etc.).

Sometimes it is maddening the amount bitching athletes do when they have essentially get a free ride through a lot of things where most people are going to leave with loads of debt and jobs that they probably aren't going to be 100% happy with, but guess what... I's life...

Athletes bitching about people making money on their name just need to stop. It's life. Move on. Lot's of occupations are dangerous, and people get hurt and they don't have anything to fall back on. Also, talented people in a lot of organizations make the top a lot of money and don't receive the amounts of what they should. If they are the best, they eventually get paid like the best for their company or they find something else.

Also, a lot of these guys are getting paid, even at Nebraska, and this isn't taking into account all of the free shit the University provides (Room and board, free education, etc.).

Sometimes it is maddening the amount bitching athletes do when they have essentially get a free ride through a lot of things where most people are going to leave with loads of debt and jobs that they probably aren't going to be 100% happy with, but guess what... I's life...

+1

I wonder if the the athletes would like to be paid, then charged tuition, room and board, a premium for the training table, pay for their own nutritionist, pay for the personal trainer etc etc.

In order for them to unionize they need to be called employees. That ain't happening.

-do we do it?

Good morning!

1. I would literally bet my entire fortune on it. House included. I think I would be have maybe a 0.00000001% chance of being homeless.

2. Yes, almost certainly we do it. Just not to the degree the $EC does it.

Exactly they are getting paid. At Nebraska I saw a figure between the free education, free food, clothes, traveling, trainers, tutors, nutritionist, ect. It amounts to about $100,000. That is more than some make in 4 years of working. The paid argument needs to stop. Bottom line nobody is forcing these kids to play football. If they feel they are being unfairly taken advantage of then quit and pay for school like everyone else.
Now that being said I have no problem with players charging for autographs or outside interviews or selling their stuff on ebay or whatever other way they want to make their own money. But the university and NCAA should never pay a player.

-do we do it?

Good morning!
Who cares.

If they want to pay the players then they need to also stipulate that a player cannot transfer. No school should have to pay a player and then worry that they could get more money from another school and transfer.

-do we do it?

Good morning!

I would bet all my money and then some...Ole Miss was just caught a few years ago...Auburn and Mississippi State were involved in a pay scandal recently...players have admitted multiple times to being paid by nearly every school in the conference but investigations are required and nobody is going to risk their career to investigate Alabama while they are top...I guarantee they have wins rescinded though by the year 2030...the real transgression is spending millions a year on the sport, hundreds of millions of facilities, and not cheating. The sport is already corrupt to the core...while education and middle class crumbles we continue to build bigger and bigger monoliths to an amateur sport...you better cheat or get off the pot.

You forgot to include trim.

If they want to pay the players then they need to also stipulate that a player cannot transfer. No school should have to pay a player and then worry that they could get more money from another school and transfer.
Good point. Food for thought. I used to say IF they bolted early for the pros they should pay something back to the school because the investment was breached. Like terminating or cashing out a CD before the maturity date. I said that 20 years ago. At that time I never dreamed that there would be transfers willy nilly

I would be all my life savings the SEC pays players. I'm sure it happens to a degree at every college.

Laremy Tunsil admitted to taking money in his interviews after being drafted. As Solana Beach mentioned, there are other examples out there.

When a topic keeps coming up over and over it usually means it is a topic of importance and a topic than many seem to be interested.
The only thing (IMO) interesting is that nothing of substance happens. Slaps on the wrists is about it. Personally I just want to focus on our programs and their progress. I’m not sticking my head in the sand just this topic is very old.

Reactions: husker2612
Oh mommy the other teams are cheating.

Loozer mindset. Kill or be killed. Ethics in big time college FB and BB has been gone for decades and it’s not coming back.

Big time players receive illegal benefits and I’m glad they do. They are a focal point of a billion dollar business.

The only thing (IMO) interesting is that nothing of substance happens. Slaps on the wrists is about it. Personally I just want to focus on our programs and their progress. I’m not sticking my head in the sand just this topic is very old.
I can understand that side of it.

Reactions: TravisWalker

'It's life. Move on.'

What a bitter, ignorant post. These kids aren't gifted anything. They earn their way, and their collective product, including literal photograph/name/merchandise, is directly responsible for 200,000x what they're compensated.

Like, what other profession can you say that for?

That people can take themselves seriously defending such an archaic system with no better argument than 'that's how it is' really does amaze me.

Wake up, man.

Last edited:
'It's life. Move on.'

What a bitter, ignorant post. These kids aren't gifted anything. They earn their way, and their collective product, including literal photograph/name/merchandise, is directly responsible for 200,000x what they're compensated.

Like, what other profession can you say that for?

That people can take themselves seriously defending such an archaic system with no better argument than 'that's how it is' really does amaze me.

Wake up, man.

You have your opinion and I have mine. I don't need to wake up. Most of these athletes need to stop whining. It has nothing to do with bitter or ignorance. I have a family member who is a pro athlete and we have these conversations all of the time, but carry on.

These terms are often misused.

Source of the $8B? Where did you get it?

Gross receipts?

Expenses?

A business can bring in a lot money but also have lots of expenses.

Best I can tell the gross revenue for FY 2017 was $1.045B. Then after expenses they had $103 M. Yes, they are tax exempt. I could agree that the NCAA increased revenue in FY2018 but not 8 times more than 2017.

Reactions: Top_Gun_
Best I can tell the gross revenue for FY 2017 was $1.045B. Then after expenses they had $103 M. Yes, they are tax exempt. I could agree that the NCAA increased revenue in FY2018 but not 8 times more than 2017.

My mistake, appreciate the correction. Point stands: tax exempt on $1B+ and don’t compensate those directly responsible for the revenue. Seems odd to me, that’s all. No other business can say the same.

ADVERTISEMENT