ADVERTISEMENT

OK, I'll say it, this thread could get interesting...

HBK4life

Nebraska Legend
Jan 24, 2004
North of Lincoln South of Heaven
Anyone else find it strange that Banker had to find out from reporters that his D line boys were leaving? Who leaves as a SENIOR STARTER?? It has been mentioned that this is a good thing. That basically the last of the Bo-Kaz poisoned well guys are now gone. Anyone else get that sense or am I being paranoid??

Reactions: KFDVM
Anyone else find it strange that Banker had to find out from reporters that his D line boys were leaving? Who leaves as a SENIOR STARTER?? It has been mentioned that this is a good thing. That basically the last of the Bo-Kaz poisoned well guys are now gone. Anyone else get that sense or am I being paranoid??
Very strange indeed. Won't be shocked if McMullen ends up at KY. Oh well, this program is on the right track and the future looks bright. GBR!

I think it was said that McMullen plans on staying in Lincoln for grad school. That said, I do wonder where Morrow and Kentucky are going to get their recruits now that there is nothing left in the Nebraska pipeline.

I quess what we think is strange is he lost his initiative to play the game his senior year.

The defensive line management has been a total cluster f**k for the last year. Losing Malik is understandable. But it's almost unfathomable that McMullen, Williams, and Valentine are now gone. It doesn't seem to be just a Hughes issue either, cuz he's gone. Is it Banker? I can accept that Williams would want to move on, seemed to be a Bo guy and has had rotten luck with injuries. But McMullen can't help but reflect poorly on the staff as currently constituted. I'm not blaming Parella necessarily, but you would have thought he would have had more pull. The interior D-Line is now a big concern heading into next year, every bit as much as linebacker was last year. I do not want and will not be making excuses for subpar defensive performance due to our D-Line situation next year.

It does raise a flag that the team knew and the DC was left out of the loop. Perhaps there is nothing but it does beg questions about his relationship with players. Time will tell.

So our interior line consist of Kevin Maurice,Mick Stoltenberg, Peyton Newell and Carlos and Khalil Davis.

Don't think I'm missing anyone else, so this is as thin of an interior line as I think I have ever seen in Lincoln.

For an Osborne disciple, Parrella not off to a good start. Or any start for that matter.

yep this isn't northern michigan university and the BIG isn't the Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

He's being sarcastic. I'm not putting any of this on JP. Our bungling of DT recruiting goes back to Bo's regime and carried over to Hughes. JP is going to clean up their mess.
Is he? He has had enough time. Does he own a house yet? I want proof of that, otherwise he is just here for a pay day

Is he? He has had enough time. Does he own a house yet? I want proof of that, otherwise he is just here for a pay day
funny-sarcasm-definition-quote.jpg

Reactions: canesFAN_4_life
I am going to wait and see how things go before I say we have depth issues. It was not to long ago that we had to play Merideth ar DT in the conference championship game. I would say even with the departures we have more depth than that year and remember last year Williams, Valentine and Maurice missed a lot of time. Based on what I saw today I think the Davisl boys will have a better year than Williams and Valentine. It would also not surprise me if McMullen comes back down the road.

Reactions: HuskerO
Turning over tables in a village inn. Hitting his wife.
I know he had at least one violent argument with his wife and people close to them rumored more, and I know he had an angry outburst at the VI including swearing (not sure about overturning tables) and yes, the guy does not seem to be a nice person. But what I am asking about is has the guy actually been tweeting, texting, or whatever in the last year in hopes of turning his former players against the new staff? If so, it is a shame that the former coaches didn't have clauses in their contracts to not pay them after they were let go if they did stuff like that.

Reactions: jedimasterjed
He's being sarcastic. I'm not putting any of this on JP. Our bungling of DT recruiting goes back to Bo's regime and carried over to Hughes. JP is going to clean up their mess.

i realize he is being sarcastic but regardless, at the first sign of any doubt with mcmullen JPs biggest recruiting job became keeping and motivating a returning starter on an already razor thin def line

i realize he is being sarcastic but regardless, at the first sign of any doubt with mcmullen JPs biggest recruiting job became keeping and motivating a returning starter on an already razor thin def line
If someone doesn't wanna be here for whatever reason or they still have a hard on for the former staff then its time to get off the Husker wagon. Thanks for your time and move along. Not running a daycare here.

Unless JP doesn't need to live or die by McMullen and is pretty sure he can bring in a replacement like Isaiah Johnson.

I know he had at least one violent argument with his wife and people close to them rumored more, and I know he had an angry outburst at the VI including swearing (not sure about overturning tables) and yes, the guy does not seem to be a nice person. But what I am asking about is has the guy actually been tweeting, texting, or whatever in the last year in hopes of turning his former players against the new staff? If so, it is a shame that the former coaches didn't have clauses in their contracts to not pay them after they were let go if they did stuff like that.
did that thing go to trial?

It's fine they decided to leave. For whatever reason, they didn't want to be here. If any of them had stayed, were they really going to be all-in contributors? Doubt it. Anyone who has been on an athletic team has been around the pouter who's looking for excuses. Or thinks the grass is greener somewhere else. Not a lot of success surrounds those types. Moving on.

"Who leaves as a SENIOR STARTER??"

This happens a lot. I know it's difficult for a lot of people to think about walking away but it's not too uncommon. Just look at the NFL. Chris Borland retired after one year, leaving millions on the table as a starting LB for the 49ers. Calvin Johnson just retired at 30. And keep in mind these are guys choosing to walk away from millions at the highest level in the NFL - not just a starter on a college team. McMullen doesn't project to have an NFL career, and if focusing on grad school will benefit him long-term, then it's the right decision. Back about 6-7 years ago Myron Rolle from Florida State delayed entering the draft because he was awarded a Rhodes Scholarship. Even though he was drafted afterwards, most feel taking that year off football may have hurt his chances or either being drafted higher or sticking in the NFL. The point is that at every level of football, it's not shocking that players in their prime decide that things other than football are more important and decide to give up football. I don't have any extra insight or know McMullen at all, and have no idea if it has anything to do with coaches or purely an academic decision, but I know this sort of stuff happens in this day and age of football. More and more players are conscious of the effects, their future, etc and if someone doesn't have a future in the NFL, it's not hard to see them giving up their last year of football to focus on something they feel may be their future.

Oh thank God, I thought he did.

Well, since you mentioned the crutches with an LOL, I thought maybe you might have been a bit confused about the timeline for his need to be healthy enough to be on the field.

It does raise a flag that the team knew and the DC was left out of the loop. Perhaps there is nothing but it does beg questions about his relationship with players. Time will tell.

These are all Bo's players, I'll worry when we start seeing the players that were recruited by this staff leaving. You are going to see players from the former regime leave with a new coaching staff. It happens all the time and not just in the first year. Some stick it out the first year and decide it's not working out.

Last edited:
Reactions: Redblood23
Well, since you mentioned the crutches with an LOL, I thought maybe you might have been a bit confused about the timeline for his need to be healthy enough to be on the field.

Your handle is "baseball31ne", this is a football board...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT