ADVERTISEMENT

Ohio State coach apologies for late score.

We use to be the one that had to Apologize for scoring at the end so I didn’t think it was necessary it was our job to stop them from scoring..

Reactions: B1G RED RULES
It was a nice cover! And face it, those guys know that all their fans put some cash on the game...A win and a cover...that makes your fan base really happy!

i only saw one spread that had OSU -28 - the vast majority of sports books had OSU -27.5 or less

anyone who bet OSU to cover at -28 is an idiot when there were all kinds of better lines available

Last edited:
i only saw one spread that had OSU -28 - the vast majority of sports books had OSU -27.5 or less

anyone who bet OSU to cover at -28 is an idiot when there were all kinds of better lines available

the late score had nothing to do with the betting line

I don't think I ever saw it at 28. I got it at 26 and 27.

Reactions: jlb321
Who is he trying to convince. He said he would have taken a knee at the end but he had a young QB in the game and didn't think he had the right personnel in the game to take a knee. Do you really need a special group of players in the game to take a knee? Not to mention they were snapping the ball with 15-20 seconds left on the play clock. He said he would call Frost to apologies. That's a call I would not listen to. He did everything he could so they could score again to impress the pollsters.
I never have a problem with a team trying to score at any time during game the object of the game is for offense to try to score and defense to try to stop them. In reality the apology is more insulting than the score

Reactions: B1G RED RULES
I agree, but OSU should have taken the knee at that point.
Is that because it hurt your ego to get beat by one more score. Every kid that takes the field should be allowed to put on the best performance they can do. If the opponent takes offense to that they should do something about it like stop bitching and have your team perform to the final buzzer.

I have no problem with OSU scoring late in the game. There was no need to apologize at all. The only reason I brought it up in the first place was I thought it was a pretty lame excuse the reason the coach says they did was because they didn't have the right personnel in the game to take a knee. I just didn't know they needed a special package in there for that. He could have even used a timeout if he felt that strongly about it and gotten that package in the game. Again, I have no problem with them getting that last score, but like the old saying goes "Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining".

I’m sure Frost has a long memory - in the future if we are on the one yard line against OSU in the waning seconds of the game I bet Frost shoves it down their throat to make the OSU margin of victory just 21 rather than 28

I don’t blame him. If he had the starters in it would be a different story. During most of my playing days I rode the pine. When I did get a chance to play I would have been pissed about not having the opportunity to score.
I also blame the whole culture of style points. With limited games this year a big 10 team needs all the help it can get
And one final thought. For those of you that play and ended up on the wrong side of the score. When you walked off the field we’re you grumbling about the other team running up the score. I know that didn’t and to be honest I would have been embarrassed if I did.

Osborne never had to convince a playoff committee that he should be in the playoffs. I get don’t throw deep, but I have no problem with continue to run plays. Up to our defense to make a stop. If our D-end Or OLB does his job and contains on the qb keeper around there left side a few plays before, they never get inside the 10. We may not be quite as low as Kansas of the Big Eight, but we aren’t much above that if we are reduced to complaining about someone running up the score on us.
Not a playoff committee, correct. However, in 1994 at Oklahoma, he had Berringer throwing late in the game trying to score while nursing a 13-3 lead to try to push it to 20-3. Berringer ended up throwing an interception. A 17-point win looks better in the eyes of the pollsters than a 10-point win over an unranked opponents, even if it is a rivalry game. The reason? To make sure NU stayed ahead of Penn State for the national title since they wouldn't play each other in a bowl game.

Remember, earlier in the 1994 season, Penn State "dropped" in the polls after "struggling" to beat Indiana (35-29) and Illinois (35-31). I put dropped in quotes because they were #2 after Nebraska beat Colorado (despite Penn State beating Ohio State, 63-14), then the Indiana and Illinois games happened and Penn State lost ground in #1 votes. Penn State had a 28-7 fourth-quarter lead on Indiana and pulled its starters, then Indiana came back to make it close on paper. Penn State trailed Illinois 21-0 at one point and didn't take the lead until a minute left in the game.

Penn State not blowing out those teams solidified the #1 votes for Nebraska, and I'm convinced Osborne was concerned over losing votes by not beating Oklahoma by enough.

While not a blowout situation like yesterday, it certainly was an optics game to appeal to a committee-type body (100+ voters) since Nebraska was going to have a tougher bowl opponent than Penn State.

It was the first game of the season, I doubt it will factor at all in opinions for playoff. Winning against PSU, Michigan and a B10 Champ will get the job done. In my opinion there are three elite teams, Clemson-Alabama and tOSU the rest are just vying for the 4th spot. 45-17 and 52-17 are the same score to pollsters in first game-tOSU deserves to be #3 right now #4 at worst.

Reactions: saluno22
Don't care. Ohio State has 8-9 games to make their case to the committee IF games aren't cancelled. 50+ looks good. Maybe one of these days we'll get a chance to hang half a hundred on them.

Completely agree they won't have as many games as Clemson and bama so they need to run up the score on games they do have

With having a smaller sample size this year its about reps.. Klatt saif it right when Frost took the timeout..you want to get as many reps as you can.. dont blame them for it and dont blame Frost either.. lets move on..
@Big Red Rules your just a gas lighter go away troll

Like we think that TD made a difference.

Our players got snaps against good competition.

That's the best thing about this game.

Its literally downhill from here talent wise of our opponents. No one will be that talented.

Last edited:
I have no problem with it, that’s how you get your second line players ready for the future.
We were playing some players beyond 2nd team on both sides of the ball I think late in that game. It was over. It didn't matter after a few minutes in to the 4th quarter.

Not that big of a deal. Never could understand the running up the score complaint as OSU was deep into bench and those kids want to make some plays also. The kid that scored was Miller - a true freshman QB.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Wan’Dale played until the final :30 seconds. Just sayin.
did not see that. That's why I said "I think" though. I wasn't sure. I just heard the names of quite a few young guys late in the game. We had to have gotten in to the 3rd tier at a couple of positions on D "I think". Maybe not. Still it seemed like the backups got quite a few snaps if nothing else in that 4th quarter.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT