ADVERTISEMENT

Ohio - SDSU on ESPN tonight

Ohio looks well-coached. No penalties midway through 3rd. Solid tackling, functional special teams, crisp O-Line blocking, good 2-minute drill, one turnover, etc. It always kills me teams like this seem to have basic football skills, but NU the last few years and the first half of this season sometimes looks like a disorganized jr high team.

Frank is the winningest Coach in Ohio U history and has a 58.3 winning pct at Ohio U and 63.4 all-time and has 163 all time wins..

Kirk Ferentz is 163-122 with a 57.1 all time winning pct and 59.9 at Iowa..

They both have 163 all time wins..

Reactions: TheBeav815
27-0, another 9 win year. Pretty good at 74! Can he make it to 80?
IF Frank had hired a DC like he has now instead of the Pelini brothers, Frank might still be at NU. Burrow does a heck of a job for him as his DC and Ohio coaches and parents want their kids to play for him.

Reactions: WHCSC
IF Frank had hired a DC like he has now instead of the Pelini brothers, Frank might still be at NU. Burrow does a heck of a job for him as his DC and Ohio coaches and parents want their kids to play for him.

No Pederson hated his guts...Peddy had a agenda to make a name for himself by hiring the can’t lose Head Coach and everyone would admire him for such a great hire...

Instead, well we all know how it unfolded..

No Pederson hated his guts...Peddy had a agenda to make a name for himself by hiring the can’t lose Head Coach and everyone would admire him for such a great hire...

Instead, well we all know how it unfolded..
There is no question that there was friction between SP and Frank. Some of Pederson's problem with Frank related to Carl's and Bo's actions. Carl sleeping with a player's wife among other things was not taken well. Bo chasing down Snyder among other outbursts were not taken well. Bo got named interim coach in part because SP knew there was no way in hell he was going to hire him permanently and figured it would cause less stir than naming Barney when he didn't get the job. IF Frank had hired a guy who recruited his ass off, improved the D, AND was a PR asset, Frank would have been in much better shape to keep his job. Recruiting was SP's first love and Bo refused to do it AND his brother cost us a high profile recruit with his actions. SP's comments about "gravitating to mediocrity" was all about our recruiting those last 2 years. It was "Iowa like".

There is much more to the Frank story here at NU. It is true that Pederson felt that Solich was not the answer for NU and nothing Frank has accomplished at Ohio says Pederson was wrong. Solich however did more to hurt his own cause personnally here in Lincoln or he might still be here! Pederson however was not able to fill Franks shoes with who he wanted or needed to be the winner Neb fans want. Callahan was far from his first choice and several happenings led us to Callahan. Let's now hope that Moos's choice in Frost brings us back to what is expected!

Reactions: dinglefritz
There is much more to the Frank story here at NU. It is true that Pederson felt that Solich was not the answer for NU and nothing Frank has accomplished at Ohio says Pederson was wrong. Solich however did more to hurt his own cause personnally here in Lincoln or he might still be here! Pederson however was not able to fill Franks shoes with who he wanted or needed to be the winner Neb fans want. Callahan was far from his first choice and several happenings led us to Callahan. Let's now hope that Moos's choice in Frost brings us back to what is expected!

Only thing Here Wannstedt was Peterson’s first choice no and’s if’s or but’s about that...

Reactions: dinglefritz
Boy imagine if we could have had that! Maybe some mediocre recruiting to go with it...
Would have been better than what we've endured for the past 15 years. BUT if that's what it took to get us to Frost, so be it.

There is no question that there was friction between SP and Frank. Some of Pederson's problem with Frank related to Carl's and Bo's actions. Carl sleeping with a player's wife among other things was not taken well. Bo chasing down Snyder among other outbursts were not taken well. Bo got named interim coach in part because SP knew there was no way in hell he was going to hire him permanently and figured it would cause less stir than naming Barney when he didn't get the job. IF Frank had hired a guy who recruited his ass off, improved the D, AND was a PR asset, Frank would have been in much better shape to keep his job. Recruiting was SP's first love and Bo refused to do it AND his brother cost us a high profile recruit with his actions. SP's comments about "gravitating to mediocrity" was all about our recruiting those last 2 years. It was "Iowa like".
I thought it was a player's girlfriend, not wife. I have no clue, but I always suspected there was more to it besides some indiscretions by Frank and a couple of his staff. It seemed to me FADSP showed up hating Frank from Day 1, which is why I think it went back to the days FS and SP were on TO's staff. Like maybe Frank gave SP a Melvin in a room full of people, everyone mocked SP, and he swore revenge.

I thought it was a player's girlfriend, not wife. I have no clue, but I always suspected there was more to it besides some indiscretions by Frank and a couple of his staff. It seemed to me FADSP showed up hating Frank from Day 1, which is why I think it went back to the days FS and SP were on TO's staff. Like maybe Frank gave SP a Melvin in a room full of people, everyone mocked SP, and he swore revenge.
I believe tom mentioned that he didn't realize till after he was ad that Stevie had a problem with frank going back to when Stevie was recruiting coordinator

Frank is a decent coach. NOT who you hire say after a Saban retires at present day Alabama, which is close to what we were.

IMO, a big part of Frank's recruiting issues stemmed from not being a good speaker. His often stumbling, stammering statements and answers to questions were often hard to listen to. I can't imagine that played very well in living rooms. He didn't exactly inspire great confidence in his vision, what he was doing, why he was doing, and where he was going with the program. Go back and listen to Frank's old press conferences. Compare that to TO and HSCF. Not the only reason, as you still have to have great football instincts, but ability to speak plainly, logically and confidently is an attribute of most top coaches.

Reactions: Baxter48
Naw frank struggled recruiting, that was his biggest downfall
Three top ten classes by Frank.

incredulous.gif

ADVERTISEMENT