ADVERTISEMENT

Oh hey now.......Colin throwing it down

He contradicts himself a lot. He gets views by taking a hard stance in stuff. Some of what he says is true, or partially true.

But he is saying because we haven't been great this century, we will never be, because we have some recruiting disadvantages?

At least he says Frost is a great coach.

I think this is the year commissioners take fire more than the coaches.

In any case, I'm not worried about Frost's seat during an exhibition year so I generally don't care.

Not listening to that blowhard. Year 5 is when it gets real for Frost, although he will have at least 4 years left on his contract at that time

Dennis Dodd has Frost at a 5 ("Win or be fired") on his 2020 Hot Seat Rankings. This after having him ranked 0 ("Untouchable") in 2019. Boy, that escalated quickly.

Even if NU played a full season (i.e., no Covid), there's almost no set of on-field outcomes that could lead to his ouster. I realize Dodd and Cowherd are going for ratings with these hot takes, but I don't believe either of them actually believe he's in any real danger.

If they do, they're seriously out of touch with the commitment NU and Moos have made to Frost.

Time well tell if Frost is a great coach, and I certainly hope he is. But the idea that Nebraska fans have been impatient with him is nonsense. I'll go out on a limb and say he's gotten more fan love/win than any HC in the country.
He’s been a disappointment so far, but I don’t think many fans will be calling for him to be fired if we have another losing season. Most fans will be willing to give him another year or two after that.

Reactions: Chuck003
I am not concerned one bit what this guy has to say about any topic. He is the epitome of sensationalism/click bait in the sports media.

He knows that he can push the buttons of Nebraska fans and get instant reactions. That is how he makes his living...illicit responses from fans. I won’t buy into his antics by listening to him. Winking

COLINSCREEN0525_000001.jpg

Last edited:
I listen to him occasionally but he's at the bottom of my list. Let's be honest. Most, if not all of the national radio guys don't care for this area of the country and have no clue about NU football. Frost was fine before all this nonsense and he'll get an even bigger pass now.

If Frost were an outsider, Cowherd would probably be right. But Frost will get multiple more years and probably rightfully so. With that said, I doubt anybody envisioned we would be talking about this going in to year 3. To say the first two years were a disappointment would be an understatement.

He’s been a disappointment so far, but I don’t think many fans will be calling for him to be fired if we have another losing season. Most fans will be willing to give him another year or two after that.
I agree. Under normal circumstances I don't think Frost's seat was even going to get warm until 2021. With this year being a cluster all the way around, the honeymoon may be even longer.

I'm not in any way suggesting Frost will fail, and I certainly don't want him to. I just think calling out fans for being disappointed by his record so far is nonsense. I didn't have big expectations last year, but I sure thought he'd get more than one win (at Illinois) over a team with a pulse.

Like all media their job is to generate attention not necessarily tell the truth. So I doubt he honestly believes that Neb is now, and forever destine to be a 7 win team. I am curious why he thinks Wisconsin has more advantage and can be a 10 or 11 win team but Nebraska can't? Nebraska out recruits Wisc every single year even though they have had their best 20 year period and we have had our worst. Even though their population is almost 4 times ours. Even though we have had 4 out of 5 losing seasons.
Nebraska is still a blue blood, name recognized, top destination program. The thing that has made Wisc successful and Nebraska not these last 10-20 years is not because they can recruit more talent. Its not that they have this amazing coach. Its not that they are located in a recruiting hotspot. Its not that they have more to do for recruits. Its not that they have a better history. It comes down to one thing, stability and consistency. They have had an AD in there that brought with him a system. He has not deviated from that system for 30 years. Any coach he hires continues to follow that system to a T and it works. Mind you a system he brought from Nebraska. Nebraska needs to get back to being Nebraska. We need to keep a coach for more than 3-5 years. Look what Bo managed to accomplish here with a little consistency. He was an average coach at best, who lacked motivation, hated us the fans, the university and the AD, was lazy,horrible recruiter and still managed to get to 9 wins every year.
Frost IMO is a good coach and will develop into a great, NC level coach with time. We finally have the right coach in place who will do anything and everything in his power to bring Neb back. We finally have an AD who fully supports the coach and the program and will do anything to bring Neb back. We as fans finally have the patience to give a coach time to get all the pieces in place. All the pieces are in place to get this machine back rolling. So yes Cowherd may be right we may only be a 7 win team currently, but there is nothing to suggest that is where we are doomed to stay. Stability is key.

I said from the very beginning we must give Frost time. That we can' t expect Championships year 1 or 2. That we had to give him time to get his guys in. Now I honestly did not envision a 9- 15 record year 2. So I do think the heat is hotter than anyone thought it would be at this point. I dont think he is safe no matter what till the end of his contract. I do think Frost is one of the safest coaches in the country no matter what his record is this year. Also with this Covid stuff I think people will be even more understanding if the season goes down hill. IMO I think Frost is safe no matter what this year even if he doesn't win a game. Year 4 I think he must get to 8 win. Im not sure he survives a 7-5 record year 4.

Reactions: Chuck003
I said from the very beginning we must give Frost time. That we can' t expect Championships year 1 or 2. That we had to give him time to get his guys in. Now I honestly did not envision a 9- 15 record year 2. So I do think the heat is hotter than anyone thought it would be at this point. I dont think he is safe no matter what till the end of his contract. I do think Frost is one of the safest coaches in the country no matter what his record is this year. Also with this Covid stuff I think people will be even more understanding if the season goes down hill. IMO I think Frost is safe no matter what this year even if he doesn't win a game. Year 4 I think he must get to 8 win. Im not sure he survives a 7-5 record year 4.
He definitely would survive a 7-5 record in year 4. In fact, he probably would get another contract extension. He probably would survive a 6-6 record too.

Last edited:
He definitely would survive a 7-5 record in year 4. In fact, he probably would get another contract extension. He probably would survive a 6-6 record too.
Well if that is indeed true then we might as well be ready for mediocre football as long as he is here. Stability is key to success. However there is zero reason a coach shouldn't be able to get more than 6 wins by year 4.

Reactions: LonghornInOmaha
Cowherd is awesome and he is very aware of our past glory and has spoke glowingly many times about our past teams and T.O. He didn't get to be arguably the best talk show host in America and making mega bank by being dumb. Fascinating life to, love the stories he shares about the minor league team in Vegas he got his start at.

Cowherd is awesome and he is very aware of our past glory and has spoke glowingly many times about our past teams and T.O. He didn't get to be arguably the best talk show host in America and making mega bank by being dumb. Fascinating life to, love the stories he shares about the minor league team in Vegas he got his start at.
I agree, I’ve enjoyed listening occasionally ever since he correctly called Iowa the fake Id of college football early in 2015...I can take the good with the bad about Nebraska football...

Reactions: litespeedhuskerfan
Really don't understand why anybody ever wastes their time listening to this stuff. It's not just him-it's pretty much all sports-talk radio, although he seems to be one of the worst. You couldn't pay me to listen to one of his shows.

Really don't understand why anybody ever wastes their time listening to this stuff. It's not just him-it's pretty much all sports-talk radio, although he seems to be one of the worst. You couldn't pay me to listen to one of his shows.
I’m with you. I don’t really have a problem with his Nebraska take, I’m not interested in what he has to say about anything. Guys like him are about getting attention, not knowledge, insight or intelligent takes

Reactions: Truehuskerfan
It’s impossible to talk to college and pros, across all sports, and have truly insightful views. Guys like this are topical at best just due to reality of depth capability.

He was pretty spot on with the Riley hire. He said something like he was a nice guy with not a very impressive record. He also said that college football isn't for nice guys and that it wasn't a good hire.

Reactions: litespeedhuskerfan
Thing is, unless it was Meyer, Saban, or Dabo, there's probably not another coach in the country NU fans would want to replace Frost with.

We aren't putting the TO tree out to pasture for Kyle Whittingham or Matt Campbell.

I spend hours in the car and I've already heard every song on the radio hundreds of times. Its entertainment.

Thing is, unless it was Meyer, Saban, or Dabo, there's probably not another coach in the country NU fans would want to replace Frost with.

We aren't putting the TO tree out to pasture for Kyle Whittingham or Matt Campbell.
Only if there's no progress after five years. If that should happen, and I don't think it will, I would have Luke Fickell near the top of my list.

He was pretty spot on with the Riley hire. He said something like he was a nice guy with not a very impressive record. He also said that college football isn't for nice guys and that it wasn't a good hire.

Yes, pretty insightful and original take. Nobody thought that when Riley was hired.

Like all media their job is to generate attention not necessarily tell the truth. So I doubt he honestly believes that Neb is now, and forever destine to be a 7 win team. I am curious why he thinks Wisconsin has more advantage and can be a 10 or 11 win team but Nebraska can't? Nebraska out recruits Wisc every single year even though they have had their best 20 year period and we have had our worst. Even though their population is almost 4 times ours. Even though we have had 4 out of 5 losing seasons.
Nebraska is still a blue blood, name recognized, top destination program. The thing that has made Wisc successful and Nebraska not these last 10-20 years is not because they can recruit more talent. Its not that they have this amazing coach. Its not that they are located in a recruiting hotspot. Its not that they have more to do for recruits. Its not that they have a better history. It comes down to one thing, stability and consistency. They have had an AD in there that brought with him a system. He has not deviated from that system for 30 years. Any coach he hires continues to follow that system to a T and it works. Mind you a system he brought from Nebraska. Nebraska needs to get back to being Nebraska. We need to keep a coach for more than 3-5 years. Look what Bo managed to accomplish here with a little consistency. He was an average coach at best, who lacked motivation, hated us the fans, the university and the AD, was lazy,horrible recruiter and still managed to get to 9 wins every year.
Frost IMO is a good coach and will develop into a great, NC level coach with time. We finally have the right coach in place who will do anything and everything in his power to bring Neb back. We finally have an AD who fully supports the coach and the program and will do anything to bring Neb back. We as fans finally have the patience to give a coach time to get all the pieces in place. All the pieces are in place to get this machine back rolling. So yes Cowherd may be right we may only be a 7 win team currently, but there is nothing to suggest that is where we are doomed to stay. Stability is key.

I guess. I can only stand being told the key to the upcoming big game is turnovers and impact player injuries so many times. :)
My two favorites are Dan Patrick and Dan Lebatard. Lebatard is only really half sports but that's why I probably like it. Not a big fan of golic or most of the espn show's other than Lebatard.

Not saying Frost will need them or use them, but the die-hards will have no shortage of excuses/rationalizations if we have another couple of stinker years -- COVID-19 affected the schedule, and then affected recruiting -- no film to review, can't get them on campus for the game atmosphere, etc.

ADVERTISEMENT