ADVERTISEMENT

Offseason Training & Conditioning

If nothing else.....I think I'd put Frost in that hybrid role on D and let him go to town.

Just as long as they are doing back squats.

Lift weights, lift weights, lift weights. Did I get that right?

Reactions: SoFL Husker
giphy.gif

I'm wondering how prevalent Vitamin S or HGH is now.
Hard to say. If they are using it's probably just to get their testosterone levels into the high normal range. They could also be using SARMs it's kind of a grey area as to whether or not they are legal in the US and they are a little harder to trace than traditional steroid cycles, Will Grier put on 43lbs in a year using SARMS at UF. But, I doubt they are giving guys superphysiological amounts of gear nowadays. Too many health risks that leave them open to getting sued down the road. I talked to one former Husker who played in the 70s who said they used to pop dianabol like candy.

Believe it or not there are 129 other teams doing the exact same thing. Its not 1971 anymore.
You’re correct, but there’s one thing that is overlooked and under valued. Obviously going to use the 90s as an example because what kind of Husker fan would I be if I didn’t....lol.....yes teams lift weights. Yes teams do squats, yes they bench press, all that good stuff. But what separated us from the other teams was not only being bigger and stronger, but being able to do that exact thing over a full 60 minutes and then some if we needed it....conditioning. Yeah teams will obviously be big and strong, but as long as we’re better conditioned for the entire game, and can execute at a high level for 60 minutes while being big and strong again, then we have the advantage back. Knowing what I know about Husker Power behind the scenes and the science behind it, that will happen again

Mike gets a lot of flack for that but the blame should lie on Eichorst. I don't know if any coach would have been succesful with the way SE was running things from the top.
Eichorst should shoulder the blame provisionally, that was until Billy D showed up and destroyed everything all the way until he got the proverbial kick in the ass on the way out the door.

Reactions: dckchusker
You’re correct, but there’s one thing that is overlooked and under valued. Obviously going to use the 90s as an example because what kind of Husker fan would I be if I didn’t....lol.....yes teams lift weights. Yes teams do squats, yes they bench press, all that good stuff. But what separated us from the other teams was not only being bigger and stronger, but being able to do that exact thing over a full 60 minutes and then some if we needed it....conditioning. Yeah teams will obviously be big and strong, but as long as we’re better conditioned for the entire game, and can execute at a high level for 60 minutes while being big and strong again, then we have the advantage back. Knowing what I know about Husker Power behind the scenes and the science behind it, that will happen again

So...our conditioning wasn't better than other teams in years 1 or 2, but somehow it is going to be better in year 3? You're living in a dream world.

So...our conditioning wasn't better than other teams in years 1 or 2, but somehow it is going to be better in year 3? You're living in a dream world.
Think what you want. But when it happens, just remember my words now.

How will we know when "when it happens" happens?
Ya know, I guess a little tough to put into words. I think it's very much a visual thing and I think a lot of people on here are old enough to have lived through the 90s and know exactly what I'm talking about. I guess in modern day, beating Wisconsin handily would be that visual, at least in my opinion. And then obviously there are steps after that. I saw shades of it in last year's game against Wisconsin.

A new XC coach took over my son's sophomore year. Did he have a team of all-stars by season's end? No. But two years later the kids were regional champions.

Believe it or not there are 129 other teams doing the exact same thing. Its not 1971 anymore.
Or even 1997. It has all got much more even the last 20 years. Every teams is pretty well on the same page and doing the same stuff as all others.

Reactions: TheNewNU
Or even 1997. It has all got much more even the last 20 years. Every teams is pretty well on the same page and doing the same stuff as all others.
I don't mean to be a smart, really this is an honest question. How well do you actually know that? Or do you just assume that? No wrong answer, I'm just curious.

I don't mean to be a smart, really this is an honest question. How well do you actually know that? Or do you just assume that? No wrong answer, I'm just curious.
Simple, access to internet has made recruiting, marketing, advertising, knowledge much easier and quicker. Every program knows exactly what the others are doing and can easily copy their system. They can easily reach recruits. Most games and teams are also on TV now. Again that helps get their name and brand out there. Back then it was only the top few teams. Now yes money still plays a factor. Obvious a team like Nebraska who has access to better funds can do a bit more than a place like South Dakota St. The advantages they had in the 90s are much much smaller now.
This is also why I think we are seeing more and more "upsets" compared to the 70s- 90s. Why we are seeing more G5 type teams breaking into the top 25 even top 10.

Last edited:
Think what you want. But when it happens, just remember my words now.

I think what you may be missing here is that conditioning can be brought up to the needed levels much more quickly than adding muscle mass by lifting. I would bet our conditioning is already pretty close to where they want it, sans compensating for added weight (muscle).

I would hope that we are also getting closer to having all of those players in the strength program at the levels of muscle mass they are looking for. Sort of reaching a point of equilibrium. Probably 6-12 more months will get us to that point.

Reactions: dinglefritz
I think what you may be missing here is that conditioning can be brought up to the needed levels much more quickly than adding muscle mass by lifting. I would bet our conditioning is already pretty close to where they want it, sans compensating for added weight (muscle).

I would hope that we are also getting closer to having all of those players in the strength program at the levels of muscle mass they are looking for. Sort of reaching a point of equilibrium. Probably 6-12 more months will get us to that point.
And then you have to keep on doing that with every new kid that shows up on campus. It was pretty obvious that we were behind the 8 ball physically when Frost took over. Even though "everybody" lifts and has S&C programs, there can be a big difference in how aggressively a team takes part in those things. Attitude in the weight room and on the field is a big deal. It appears pretty likely that we had been half assing it in the weight room probably since the day we fired Frank. Not all the players, but enough to lower our ability to compete.

Reactions: husker2612
Knowing what I know about Husker Power behind the scenes and the science behind it, that will happen again

So based on this, it seems you have access to some specific non-public knowledge about the S/C program at Nebraska. Do you also have similar knowledge about the top programs around the country to be able to say with confidence that Nebraska is gaining ground and will surpass those programs in this area?

I hope you are correct and have this info, but if you do, you have an unprecedented amount of highly sought after knowledge.

Honestly, I think the 2019 Freshmen class will be the best chance to see significant strides in competitiveness. They were the first class that this coaching group was able to redshirt, for the most part, en masse. They will have the most developmental time in the program and, if more talented, and better developed, have the potential for the biggest impact. 2021 is probably the time to see the fruition, or not, of what is being built.

Reactions: dinglefritz
So based on this, it seems you have access to some specific non-public knowledge about the S/C program at Nebraska. Do you also have similar knowledge about the top programs around the country to be able to say with confidence that Nebraska is gaining ground and will surpass those programs in this area?

I hope you are correct and have this info, but if you do, you have an unprecedented amount of highly sought after knowledge.

Honestly, I think the 2019 Freshmen class will be the best chance to see significant strides in competitiveness. They were the first class that this coaching group was able to redshirt, for the most part, en masse. They will have the most developmental time in the program and, if more talented, and better developed, have the potential for the biggest impact. 2021 is probably the time to see the fruition, or not, of what is being built.
I could type out a really long response to this but let me first say this, I'm a nobody. To the world of Husker football and Husker athletics, I'm not important. What I do have that I think very few people on this board have is a unique experience, I explained this to I think only one other poster, is that I've not only been an athlete in Husker Power about 5ish years ago now, but I also coached it for 2 years. I learned A LOT, and there is just so much to it that is almost too much for a message board, but it is a great conversation. Sure, I'm somewhat biased. But yeah I also know it works. I think this new 2020 class will be the ones to benefit the most from it because I'd assume the strength staff isn't holding anything back anymore like it was noted that they have been because the team just wasn't in good enough shape yet to handle it. It's hell

Thank you Mr Obvious

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT