ADVERTISEMENT

Officiating

huskerdude88

Redshirt Freshman
Jan 8, 2005
Dallas, PA
Mods feel free to take this down if this topic has been beaten to death. I just wrote it so I wanted to post it.

We can all admit that officiating was controversial in the Nebraska game and even with fair officiating Nebraska didn't deserve to win that game. To be fair to the officials, we don't know the entire conversation that went on between Miles and the referees and I would generally give the refs the benefit of the doubt since it is tough to be a ref in college basketball.

However, to say that the good old boy system does not exist in officiating, just like it exists in most back office sports leagues and politics, is preposterous.

My issue with the officiating is that this wasn't a one time offense. Everybody makes mistakes. If this group of officials had a track record of calling good clean games and they made this mistake then I'd be fine with it. The entire problem I have with it is that King Karl has done this before, i.e acting in an unprofessional manner and inserting himself in parts of the game he shouldn't. The dude still has a job. That's what annoys the heck out of me. The dude would have been fired at any other job. This guy has a history of screwing up and he still has a job. I can't accept that he's just better than everyone else. The good old boy club is the only logical reason why he still works as a collegiate referee.

Notorious King Karl Hess

yeah, I agree. Hess might not even be the worst. I think every conference has that one crew or ref that they all think is the worst. And I do think officiating is nowhere near as good as it once was. To me, a large part of it is a lack of accountability. It is extremely rare for referees to be disciplined at this level. And if a ref screws a team over in the last few seconds and costs them the game, the coach can't say a thing or he gets fined/suspended. Refereeing a game isn't easy and mistakes are bound to be made, but when there is no accountability, these guys heads can get too big and their egos way out of control.

ADVERTISEMENT