ADVERTISEMENT

Official Visits, Offers, Decisions, Decisions

nebcountry

Junior
Oct 29, 2013
I waffle back and forth, we're doing good in recruiting, no we're not, etc. I still don't know what to think. This years class could end in boom or bust fashion. So, let's look at where we are sitting. We've got players already scheduled for visits (not counting recruits already committed). We've got players that could schedule visits ("could" means I don't want to argue about something uncertain). And then we have players still mulling their options.

As a side note, no links here, they don't add to the discussion imo.

Players with visits scheduled. Not homeruns if you're star gazing. But not a scholarship spending spree either. How many LB's do we need to sign?

DB Kentrell Love 3 stars 5.6
LB
Pernell Jefferson 3 stars 5.5
LB
Ja'Quain Blakely 3 stars 5.6
LB
Nehemiah Augustus 3 stars 5.5
DB
Chanse Sylvie 3 stars 5.5
ATH
Steven Smothers 4 stars 5.8

Incomplete list of Players that could schedule visits. Dr. Route has been busy, three top 250 WR's.

OL Michael Eletise 4 stars 5.8
WR
Clyde Leflore-Chriss 4 stars 5.9 (118/250)
ATH
Khaleke Hudson 3 stars 5.7
WR
Tino Ellis 4 stars 5.8 (163/250)
WR
Steffon McKnight 4 stars 5.8 (174/250)
DB
Devron Davis 3 stars 5.7 (CC)
DB
Jarett Cole 3 stars 5.5
LB
Mique Juarez 5 stars 6.1 (8/250)
RB Kingston Davis 3 stars 5.7

Players still mulling their options. Still more questions than answers when it comes to quite a few recruits. How about Amani Bledsoe, Carlo Kemp? Maybe Garrett Rand??? For these guys and a lot of others, it's not over until it's over. Garrett Rand is one player that I wonder about, will he come back for a visit with the new staff. Curiously missing from any type of visit list are DT's. Are some DT's looking like Huskers, but just aren't saying?

Reactions: GretnaShawn
If you have been around you can tell a night and day difference in the recruiting effort. If you're a numbers guy "for this time of the year" you are seeing a difference. If you're a stars guy you aren't seeing much difference. The only difference I want to see is on the field.

Thanks for the information gathering effort!!!!!

All the players that are scheduled to visit have at least one nice P5 offer outside on Nebraska. Most of them have several or many. That means more to me than ratings. So I feel good about all of those players.

Of the players that could visit, you are missing Matt Farniok, who could be the gem of the class. All but one of these players is highly ranked and have great offer lists. The one that doesn't still has multiple P5 offers, so nothing to dismiss.

Being in the discussion for Mique Juarez is more than the last staff did with any elite talent. It does not look like it has been posted on the rivals page, but I thought he was set up for a visit for the BYU game?

Thanks for putting the info together.

Reactions: Bill_Callahan2.0
I'm not going to pump up this thread much. It's not difficult to see who is visiting and who puts NU as a more "favorite" choice. As far as Farniok, Anchrum, and others, I haven't seen signs of progress in terms of their school selection. Should Mykelle McDaniel be on the list, well after he narrows his list. I did goof up in omitting Noah Fant as we are in his top 5. I'd guess Fant isn't the only one I left off.

There's still a lot of time and players left before you can even think of calling anything final though. I'd say we've been recruiting in the 20 to 30 range, roughly. That's not good enough if we want to compete at a higher level. We might "put stars" on a few guys, but we're not putting stars on all of them.

...The only difference I want to see is on the field....

I chose to follow recruiting more closely this year, probably too closely in terms of my time. And, I want to see a difference on the field, but I think we need better recruiting results to be successful.

@nebcountry,

Something happened with Garrett Rand, and it was Coach Riley's choice. Nebraska backed off.

Carlo Kemp seems to be a Notre Dame lock.

I think Amani Bledsoe loves his hometown Jayhawks so much that he stays in Lawrence.

And while I understand your post there are some guys with some puzzling evaluations from Rivals.

Quayshon Alexander, who runs like a gazelle, and accumulated 19.5 sacks last season, is basically a top 250 National recruit on every other site and a 5.6 three star at rivals. That's odd.

JoJo Domann might be the best pure football player Nebraska has recruited since Rex Burkhead.

I don't believe anyone who tells me Carlo Kemp is a better football player in the State of Colorado.

Reactions: HuskerLLM
We are flat out doing great; we wouldn't throw any of these fish back- no matter what internet couched statistics. So a 3rd ranked center is criticized as a a 65th ranked guard recruit on another site; would seem very familiar to T O, I would guess. HCMR has said multiple times he wants these hidden gems; but he is aiming for the top ten ranked classes for long term success; they are building the foundation and the offers are out. The real key, is limiting how many misses you have among the top ranked kids ( 40% don't make significant contributions ) . Oh, and speed and we are going after it: just as T O decided in the very early 90's. Our D C has been blunt about speed and hips on D, oversized corners that can play safety and safeties that can fly contributing at LB - map it on out.
We have assistants that have reps for getting guys into the NFL; this is already helping and will grow as we pop more in from N; being very encouraged here; with the AD and other staffs backing - what more can we do.

Something happened with Garrett Rand, and it was Coach Riley's choice. Nebraska backed off...

And while I understand your post there are some guys with some puzzling evaluations from Rivals...

I didn't know that about Garrett Rand. Seems like he visited in the past and has Nebraska connections. Well, there's other guys out there to get.

Bledsoe and Kemp, even if these guys are heavy leans or made up their mind, I still would like to see them take an official visit with us. I don't see NU being able to land good classes year-in and year-out without a regional foundation. More exposure, and heck, maybe we "wow" some of the players.

I didn't intend for my posts to be negative or critical. When I say I'm not going to pump up the thread, it's not difficult to see...I meant it didn't take much work to put the lists together/anyone can run a few searches on the recruiting page.

As far as recruiting evaluations, I don't take them as gospel, but I don't sweep them under the rug either. I see them as having a margin of error. Loosely speaking, I would guess a couple players from this class will go on to be really good, they may not even be the players people point out.

So, let's see where this class ends up.

I'm not going to pump up this thread much. It's not difficult to see who is visiting and who puts NU as a more "favorite" choice. As far as Farniok, Anchrum, and others, I haven't seen signs of progress in terms of their school selection. Should Mykelle McDaniel be on the list, well after he narrows his list. I did goof up in omitting Noah Fant as we are in his top 5. I'd guess Fant isn't the only one I left off.

There's still a lot of time and players left before you can even think of calling anything final though. I'd say we've been recruiting in the 20 to 30 range, roughly. That's not good enough if we want to compete at a higher level. We might "put stars" on a few guys, but we're not putting stars on all of them.

I chose to follow recruiting more closely this year, probably too closely in terms of my time. And, I want to see a difference on the field, but I think we need better recruiting results to be successful.
I think maybe next recruiting cycle may be more telling about the future success of our recruiting. I think players seeing more what Nebraska football will be about under Riley is going to be beneficial. I agree recruiting needs to be better as well overall if we are going to be successful. We do have an advantage we didn't have before in that his staff will develop players much better.

@nebcountry,

Something happened with Garrett Rand, and it was Coach Riley's choice. Nebraska backed off.

I think Amani Bledsoe loves his hometown Jayhawks so much that he stays in Lawrence.

And while I understand your post there are some guys with some puzzling evaluations from Rivals.

Quayshon Alexander, who runs like a gazelle, and accumulated 19.5 sacks last season, is basically a top 250 National recruit on every other site and a 5.6 three star at rivals. That's odd.

JoJo Domann might be the best pure football player Nebraska has recruited since Rex Burkhead.

I don't believe anyone who tells me Carlo Kemp is a better football player in the State of Colorado.

I like what you've been posting lately Cornicator. (not that it matters lol) I love Alexander and agree he is a 4 star stud and no reason why Rivals doesn't have him rated higher. The only thing going against him in terms of Rivals ranking, imo, is he's a bit of a tweener. I love his size for the OLB but some think he's a DE. My personal opinion is he's all OLB and a 5.9 4 star.

@nebcountry,

The evaluation I believe is the one after they've been on campus for a season or two. Kids that age change a ton in a year or two in a programs and unless you get a kid that is extremely mature early, its tough to predict their ceiling. Domann sounds like the real deal though and I love what I'm hearing from national analysts about the kids we're getting.

The evaluation I believe is the one after they've been on campus for a season or two. Kids that age change a ton in a year or two in a programs and unless you get a kid that is extremely mature early, its tough to predict their ceiling. Domann sounds like the real deal though and I love what I'm hearing from national analysts about the kids we're getting.

Yeha, Domann is a 4 star for sure. I think Brokop is as well. O'Brien is probably good where he is but I like his upside under Langsdorf. Terry Wilson is extremely underrated. There is only one commit which seems like a previous staff commit, imo and that is Bootle. Hopefully, some film will show up better than what is out there to make me feel better about the commit. Aphonso Thomas is a 4 star as well from what I've seen. I like the way the class has started out. I think you would have to be crazy not to.

Great thread. Those lower 3 stars listed above that are visiting have some real nice offers. Would we take 6 LBs this class? One would be a JUCO so 5 HS LBs? I think we should

All but just a few of our commits are 4* on a major recruiting site...Thomas, Bootle (worked out by staff), Wilson (rated at the #3 center by Scout), and Stille (worked out by staff) are the only commits---off the top of my head---that don't own a four star ranking.

I learned a long time ago to not judge based on one site.

Any #3 rated center, by any credible source ( also well rated as a guard); is a 4* imo. Others missing the boat, who don't realize he projects and is rated as a center. Another case of N being on the Ball

ADVERTISEMENT