ADVERTISEMENT

Official Apology to Teddy Buckets

He reminds me of Carmelo Anthony or Glenn 'Big Dog' Robinson back in the day.

Just knows how to score. Looks like his passing is pretty good too.

Just needs to let the art of letting the game come to him, as when he's forcing shots, it gets a little ugly at times.

He had a great game yesterday, looks like that recent benching helped.....

Don’t think that was performance related

When teddy is off the entire team struggles. When he is on, only the rest of the team struggles.
Yeah, the scoop I got from my "source" in Lincoln was not exactly the type of thing you want your players to be involved in. Man I wonder if he'll ever wake up. Great offensive player but he clearly was hit or miss on defense last night. Had to be gassed.

Oh boy I said we should bench him....
He needed to be benched. You were right. Next up is Trey McGowens. Damn that kid has talent but he made some really bone headed plays last night. When you add them up, IF he hadn't made those stupid moves we would have won going away. Every game it seems like its a different guy making unforced errors that kill us.

He needed to be benched. You were right. Next up is Trey McGowens. Damn that kid has talent but he made some really bone headed plays last night. When you add them up, IF he hadn't made those stupid moves we would have won going away. Every game it seems like its a different guy making unforced errors that kill us.

McGowens has the potential to be a pretty good player for the Huskers. Unfortunately, he tries to force things too much, which results in those boneheaded plays. Some of that is probably because he is the one player that needs to score (Teddy is clearly the #1 option) for us to have a chance at winning. We don't really have that #2 scoring option on a consistent basis. The rest of the team are OK at being supplemental scorers and are fairly interchangeable depending on who is hot for that particular game. I also wonder if there is some "sibling rivalry" in that he is the big brother and is trying to live up to the hype that Bryce is getting as a 5* recruit, which means he is forcing things as well.

I actually thought NU was primed to get their second win last night. I’m such an overly optimistic idiot.

Man, this team is a disaster. I wonder if Fred is looking for an escape hatch...

I actually thought NU was primed to get their second win last night. I’m such an overly optimistic idiot.

Man, this team is a disaster. I wonder if Fred is looking for an escape hatch...
Iowa State is doing even worse than we are. He could jet if Prohm is fired. But I doubt Prohm is fired after one down year.

Iowa State is doing even worse than we are. He could jet if Prohm is fired. But I doubt Prohm is fired after one down year.
Iowa State fans have been unhappy with Prohm for several years. I think he's gone but it'll be interesting.

Question:

So Hoiberg has clearly not shown much success in his first two seasons as the head man. If there was a way out with no cost to the athletic department for a buy-out, would you want to try someone new?

Is your answer the same when it comes to Frost in football?

McGowens has the potential to be a pretty good player for the Huskers. Unfortunately, he tries to force things too much, which results in those boneheaded plays. Some of that is probably because he is the one player that needs to score (Teddy is clearly the #1 option) for us to have a chance at winning. We don't really have that #2 scoring option on a consistent basis. The rest of the team are OK at being supplemental scorers and are fairly interchangeable depending on who is hot for that particular game. I also wonder if there is some "sibling rivalry" in that he is the big brother and is trying to live up to the hype that Bryce is getting as a 5* recruit, which means he is forcing things as well.
his offensive issues are indeed from forcing shots. I like his dribble drives but not when it's in to 3 defenders and ends with throwing up a prayer. Needs to play smarter. Great talent. Damn he got a look at a 3 that last shot of the game. All you can ask in that situation.

his offensive issues are indeed from forcing shots. I like his dribble drives but not when it's in to 3 defenders and ends with throwing up a prayer. Needs to play smarter. Great talent. Damn he got a look at a 3 that last shot of the game. All you can ask in that situation.

Agreed. I am trying to think of the difference between McGowens and Teddy, when both go to the hoop. The last several games, Teddy has made several nice dishes to players for an easy bucket when the opponent converges on him. That never seems to be the case with McGowens and he ends up forcing a shot over 3 opponents - or having to kick it out to 3-point range. Not sure if that is part of the offensive set when Teddy has the ball or they instinctively know to cut to the hoop? Maybe Teddy just has a better idea of where to go on his drives to create such a situation?

Reactions: frankluv
Oh boy I said we should bench him....
And we still lost to one of the worst teams in the conference. But hey, kudos to Teddy Allen for getting some good tape out there for his next stop wherever and whenever that is.

Agreed. I am trying to think of the difference between McGowens and Teddy, when both go to the hoop. The last several games, Teddy has made several nice dishes to players for an easy bucket when the opponent converges on him. That never seems to be the case with McGowens and he ends up forcing a shot over 3 opponents - or having to kick it out to 3-point range. Not sure if that is part of the offensive set when Teddy has the ball or they instinctively know to cut to the hoop? Maybe Teddy just has a better idea of where to go on his drives to create such a situation?

What I saw from Teddy last night is what I have been wanting all year from Banton and McGowens. There were maybe a couple of plays where Teddy pressed it down low when he should have kicked it out, but he was on a heater and his teammates weren't really trying too hard to bail him out.

Out of the three guards, Teddy has shown he is easily the most effective passer when he wants to be. Watching him go from full-on scoring mode in the first half to breaking the defense down and getting his teammates easy shots in the second half was beautiful. Banton and McGowens need to see that and work on it. Guys like Thor and Lat Mayen would benefit hugely if our guards would just be more willing to set up the wide open 3 off dribble penetration like other teams routinely do to our defense. Instead Banton/McGowens seem to drive with only one thing set in their mind: to get off a shot no matter what.

All the 1v2, 1v3, 1v4 driving and throwing up a fallaway prayer is terrible, pick-up game BS. Only Teddy seems to have the touch to get away with it on occasion.

Focused Teddy without the theatrics/antics is a fun thing to watch.

Question:

So Hoiberg has clearly not shown much success in his first two seasons as the head man. If there was a way out with no cost to the athletic department for a buy-out, would you want to try someone new?

Absolutely not would I want Hoiberg to leave. Who would we get? Maybe Craig Smith from Utah State? Ill take Hoiberg for the next 5 years no questions asked over the field.

Ive been out on Frost for 2 years but We all know he'll be around for at least the next 3 to 5 years regardless of how far he drives us into the ground.

Question:

Not sure if serious.....this is essentially year 1 for Hoiberg after having to construct a whole new roster, in metrics wise the best league in decades, during a pandemic.

Not to mention he has a 5 star coming in next year. Who would we get with his track record?

Let’s see where he is at this time next year. If we are still at the bottom of the BigTen then something is wrong.

As for Frost, I’d cut him loose after his fourth losing season

Reactions: mgbreis
Not sure if serious.....this is essentially year 1 for Hoiberg after having to construct a whole new roster, in metrics wise the best league in decades, during a pandemic.

Not to mention he has a 5 star coming in next year. Who would we get with his track record?

Let’s see where he is at this time next year. If we are still at the bottom of the BigTen then something is wrong.

As for Frost, I’d cut him loose after his fourth losing season
It was a serious question because it’s hard to argue that there’s much a difference between Frost and Hoiberg so far. Both inherited pretty shitty teams. Both underperform in first two seasons. Let’s say Hoiberg puts up a similar record next year. How are they different? One gets a pass the other is “running the program in the ground”.

For the record, I want to give both guys 5 years to implement. It was mainly a question to understand why so many call for Frost to be removed but not Hoiberg.

Question:

The offense and defense has shown a lot of progress, we are simply missing the play makers to capitalize on the open shots.

It was a serious question because it’s hard to argue that there’s much a difference between Frost and Hoiberg so far. Both inherited pretty shitty teams. Both underperform in first two seasons. Let’s say Hoiberg puts up a similar record next year. How are they different? One gets a pass the other is “running the program in the ground”.

For the record, I want to give both guys 5 years to implement. It was mainly a question to understand why so many call for Frost to be removed but not Hoiberg.
To be fair, very few people were hard on Frost after year 2 either. Either way, they both suck and I think we'd be better off without either one of them.

The offense and defense has shown a lot of progress, we are simply missing the play makers to capitalize on the open shots.
Open shots? I must be missing something. Virtually every shot we take is contested. We're not getting guys nearly as open as teams with a legitimate inside threat do. We can't drive against teams with rim protectors like CocKburn and we can't make contested 3s. Bad combination...and oh yeah we can't shoot free throws worth a damn either.

Last edited:
Open shots? I must be missing something. Virtually every shot we take is contested. We're not getting guys nearly as open as teams with a legitimate inside threat does. We can drive against teams with rim protectors like CocKburn and we can't make contested 3s. Bad combination...and oh yeah we can't shoot free throws worth a damn either.
We have smoked countless layups. If Eduardo Andre becomes the player that he can be, that alone opens up the offense so much more. Plus then Walker wouldn't play center.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
We have smoked countless layups. If Eduardo Andre becomes the player that he can be, that alone opens up the offense so much more. Plus then Walker wouldn't play center.

It has been seemingly forever since NU hoops had any kind of depth at the 4-5 positions. I remember the '91 Nee team had 5 players that were 6'8"+ that could ball - Rich King, Bruce Chubick, Carl Hayes, Dapreis Owens and Tony Farmer.

Actually Fred said he had re injured his wrist on his shooting hand (right) during the second half of the Penn St game.

When he injured his wrist in the PSU game he could barely shoot two free throws.

ADVERTISEMENT