Official ACB nomination thread. Post all reeees in here please

EriktheRed

Offensive Coordinator
Gold Member
Jul 1, 2001
Here's a Catholic -- a Jesuit priest no less -- saying that questioning Mrs. Barrett's views on the role her faith plays in deciding constitutional issues is not anti-Catholic:

But it's not reasonable according to the Constitution. It's not supposed to be legal in ANY way.

Mike Matya

Nebraska Legend
Staff
May 29, 2001
Bellevue, Nebraska [formerly Omaha]
You don't need a "deep understanding" of Catholicism to know the difference between normal Catholics and fringe, extremist Catholics, but nice try, bucko.

OK, I give you this chance to please explain it to me. What is the difference between "normal Catholics" and " extremist Catholics". You have carte blanche to explain it to this Catholic Christian.

Mike Matya

Nebraska Legend
Staff
May 29, 2001
Here's a Catholic -- a Jesuit priest no less -- saying that questioning Mrs. Barrett's views on the role her faith plays in deciding constitutional issues is not anti-Catholic:

Oh yes, Leftists like to always quote and trot out quasi-Marxist James Martin as their go-to "Catholic" authority.

It just so happens, though, I agree with him this time. That line of questioning is legitimate and she will answer all of it with aplomb. Just as Scalia and Alito and Kavanaugh have.

That's different from the religious test Dianne Feinstein tried to impose with her "the dogma lives loudly within you" disgusting comment.

It's astonishing to me the party that nominated and elected the first Catholic president now has the position believing Catholics are disqualified from holding office or sitting on the Supreme Court by virtue of holding the same faith and beliefs as John F. Kennedy.

scopeandtime

Nebraska Football Hall of Fame
Gold Member
Jul 3, 2016
Oh yes, Leftists like to always quote and trot out quasi-Marxist James Martin as their go-to "Catholic" authority.

It just so happens, though, I agree with him this time. That line of questioning is legitimate and she will answer all of it with aplomb. Just as Scalia and Alito and Kavanaugh have.

That's different from the religious test Dianne Feinstein tried to impose with her "the dogma lives loudly within you" disgusting comment.

It's astonishing to me the party that nominated and elected the first Catholic president now has the position believing Catholics are disqualified from holding office or sitting on the Supreme Court by virtue of holding the same faith and beliefs as John F. Kennedy.
Ha, there we go. Makes sense now. It's not about faith with you, it's simply a Political position. Sad!

Mike Matya

Nebraska Legend
Staff
May 29, 2001
Ha, there we go. Makes sense now. It's not about faith with you, it's simply a Political position. Sad!

I have no idea what you just wrote means.

Once again, I give you this opportunity to explain to me what the difference is between "normal Catholics" and " extremist Catholics".

Don't duck this. This is your opportunity to enlighten me.

Last edited:

scopeandtime

Gold Member
Jul 3, 2016
I had no idea what you just wrote means.

Once again, I give you this opportunity to explain to me what the difference is between "normal Catholics" and " extremist Catholics".

Don't duck this. This is your opportunity to enlighten me.
Clearly. Not worth my time. Agree to disagree, bud.

Mike Matya

Nebraska Legend
Staff
May 29, 2001
Clearly. Not worth my time. Agree to disagree, bud.

Yep, I thought so. You just threw that out there unable to back it up.

That's what we're going to see a lot of over these next few weeks before ACB is - God willing - confirmed to be the new and ninth Justice. A lot of ad hominem attacks on her and her faith by people who know absolutely nothing of which they speak.

scopeandtime

Gold Member
Jul 3, 2016
Yep, I thought so. You just threw that out there unable to back it up.

That's what we're going to see a lot of over these next few weeks before ACB is - God willing - confirmed to be the new and ninth Justice. A lot of ad hominem attacks on her and her faith by people who know absolutely nothing of which they speak.
I just don't waste my time with folks who open up a post calling a Jesuit Priests they disagree with a "Marxist". It shows you don't have the necessary demeanor or understanding to have a meaningful debate. It's a lost cause. Thanks for trying, Pope Pius.

tampa husker

Defensive Coordinator
Gold Member
Nov 5, 2001

It will be marred as the democrats are an embarrassment to the country. They won’t be respectful, and she’s already been asked that question at previous confirmation hearing, your welcome Father Dumb$hit.

Mike Matya

Nebraska Legend
Staff
May 29, 2001
I just don't waste my time with folks who open up a post calling a Jesuit Priests they disagree with a "Marxist". It shows you don't have the necessary demeanor or understanding to have a meaningful debate. It's a lost cause. Thanks for trying, Pope Pius.

If you are unaware that there were scores of Jesuit priests who were "liberation theology" type Marxists in the latter half of the 20th century, and into the 21st, such as James Martin, then you are very uninformed and naïve.

John Paul II actually publicly scolded one of them who was a member of the communist Sandinista government when he visited Nicaragua in the 80s. There are several well known Marxists honeycombed throughout the current Catholic hierarchy in the American UCCB as well as the Vatican.

Open your eyes to reality my friend.

scopeandtime

Gold Member
Jul 3, 2016
If you are unaware that there were scores of Jesuit priests who were "liberation theology" type Marxists in the latter half of the 20th century, and into the 21st, such as James Martin, then you are very uninformed and naïve.

John Paul II actually publicly scolded one of them who was a member of the communist Sandinista government when he visited Nicaragua in the 80s. There are several well known Marxists honeycombed throughout the current Catholic hierarchy in the American UCCB as well as the Vatican.

Open your eyes to reality my friend.
Soon you'll be posting about the imminent dangers of Bolshevism. True to form. Really worked well for the Catholic Church in the mid-20th century. I can see why you got so insecure about the "extremist" rhetoric...

Again, you're not someone I'm willing to have an honest, open debate with...I don't think you're up for it, hoss.

Mike Matya

Nebraska Legend
Staff
May 29, 2001
Soon you'll be posting about the imminent dangers of Bolshevism. True to form. Really worked well for the Catholic Church in the mid-20th century. I can see why you got so insecure about the "extremist" rhetoric...

Again, you're not someone I'm willing to have an honest, open debate with...I don't think you're up for it, hoss.

Once again, you are posting gibberish. I cannot decipher what point you are trying to make. So, as you said, let's just agree to disagree and stop wasting each other's time.

scopeandtime

Gold Member
Jul 3, 2016
Once again, you are posting gibberish. I cannot decipher what point you are trying to make. So, as you said, let's just agree to disagree and stop wasting each other's time.
"Gibberish", lol... ok. Yes, as I said...we will agree to disagree lol

Mike Matya

Nebraska Legend
Staff
May 29, 2001

I guess I'm a glutton for punishment, so one last question for you: you do not see any "dangers" to the different iterations of godless leftism throughout history be it Jacobinism, Bolshevism, Maoism, etc.? You believe these are benign, or even admirable, ideologies?

scopeandtime

Gold Member
Jul 3, 2016
I guess I'm a glutton for punishment, so one last question for you: you do not see any "dangers" to the different iterations of godless leftism throughout history be it Jacobinism, Bolshevism, Maoism, etc.? You believe these are benign, or even admirable, ideologies?
tenor.gif

Dear Lord, thanks for proving my point that you're not up for the debate. "Godless leftists", jeez. "Admirable ideologies"...lol, wow.

cavalot

Head Coach
Gold Member
Oct 3, 2003
Mike. And I’m not picking sides but are you inferring that there isnt an extreme version of Catholicism out there. Wouldn’t that be like saying there is no such thing as extremism in any religion? I mean unless you believe that it only exist in every other religion but yours.

scopeandtime

Gold Member
Jul 3, 2016
Just as I thought. You have no clue of what you're talking about. And with that, this waste of a time conversation is through.
Seems like that's the only response you have..."it's gibberish" or "you don't know what you're talking about". Seems like you can't formulate an actual response so you break down.

You asked me if I thought Maoism/Bolshevism was an admirable ideology and babbled on about "Godless Leftists"...which reinforces my opinion that you're not someone able to have a serious, mature debate about the topic. So yet again, agree to disagree, bud.

EriktheRed

Offensive Coordinator
Gold Member
Jul 1, 2001
Mike. And I’m not picking sides but are you inferring that there isnt an extreme version of Catholicism out there. Wouldn’t that be like saying there is no such thing as extremism in any religion? I mean unless you believe that it only exist in every other religion but yours.

There are, but Amy Coney is not whipping herself like the dude on the Da Vinci Code. She is not an extremist. You realize there are many Catholics out there that say they are Catholics, but literally never attend church and don't practice what they say they believe in. Biden would totally be in that camp.

Mike Matya

Nebraska Legend
Staff
May 29, 2001

I'm not inferring anything at all. He's the one who unequivocally and confidently stated he knew the difference between "normal Catholics" and "extremist Catholics", and I just wanted him to explain to me the difference in his eyes.

Maybe you can help me out since he refuses to discuss the distinction. What is the difference between the former and the latter in your eyes? And does ACB full under the category of normal or extreme? Honest question.

scopeandtime

Gold Member
Jul 3, 2016
Put simply, normal Catholics render unto Caeser... extremist Catholics use legal means to build the Kingdom of God!

scopeandtime

Gold Member
Jul 3, 2016
Can you give me some examples of "using legal means to build the Kingdom of God"?
I posted that as clarification to the other poster. I've already told you that I don't think you're a good faith debater able to have a serious, open debate. Inevitably, you'll simply say that I'm posting "gibberish" or that I "don't know what I'm talking about" instead of participating in intelligent conversation(see the numerous examples above). No thanks, hoss.

tb233

Graduate Assistant
Gold Member
Dec 13, 2017
I'm not inferring anything at all. He's the one who unequivocally and confidently stated he knew the difference between "normal Catholics" and "extremist Catholics", and I just wanted him to explain to me the difference in his eyes.

Maybe you can help me out since he refuses to discuss the distinction. What is the difference between the former and the latter in your eyes? And does ACB full under the category of normal or extreme? Honest question.

I'll throw my hat in the ring. Born and raised Catholic here. No longer practicing, that's a discussion for another day. An example of the 'extreme' that comes to mind is one my own mom often makes. She believes only baptized Catholics will be welcomed into Heaven. All others will burn in hell. She speaks this way about her grandchildren. If that isn't extreme, I don't know what is. I went to Catholic school K-12 in Omaha which meant going to mass at least twice a week and in depth scripture study. I don't ever remember that being taught or even implied by any teacher or clergyman. I think a 'normal Catholic' can reasonably determine that not every non baptized Catholic will be burning in hell for all of eternity.

Reactions: cavalot

Mike Matya

Nebraska Legend
Staff
May 29, 2001
I'll throw my hat in the ring. Born and raised Catholic here. No longer practicing, that's a discussion for another day. An example of the 'extreme' that comes to mind is one my own mom often makes. She believes only baptized Catholics will be welcomed into Heaven. All others will burn in hell. She speaks this way about her grandchildren. If that isn't extreme, I don't know what is. I went to Catholic school K-12 in Omaha which meant going to mass at least twice a week and in depth scripture study. I don't ever remember that being taught or even implied by any teacher or clergyman. I think a 'normal Catholic' can reasonably determine that not every non baptized Catholic will be burning in hell for all of eternity.

Thanks for answering. You make a good point.

coffeeman4482

Walk On
Gold Member
Dec 3, 2017
You don't need a "deep understanding" of Catholicism to know the difference between normal Catholics and fringe, extremist Catholics, but nice try, bucko.
So you are implying that the Pope is an extremist catholic since he appointed a member of People of Praise as an Auxiliary Bishop in Portland? You obviously have a minimal understanding of Catholicism so understandable your confusion on this subject.

huskersdewclaw

Senior
Gold Member
Dec 12, 2003

yea yea yea, just don't take much Time questioning. On to confirmation vote already.

Reactions: coffeeman4482

Frostradamus

Sophomore
Gold Member
Dec 2, 2014
She's gonna tear down protections for LGBTQIA+, dismantle Pro-Choice legislation, and infringe on Rights and Liberties, Matt. She is going to so this because she is guided by an extremist version of her Religion(Not anything to do with normal Catholics!). Have you even heard of People Of Praise?! Handmaiden's Tail was literally inspired by People of Praise! Get your head out of the sand!
Bruh, the author of Handmaiden's Tale says PoP had nothing to do with her writing the story.

EriktheRed

Offensive Coordinator
Gold Member
Jul 1, 2001
Bruh, the author of Handmaiden's Tale says PoP had nothing to do with her writing the story.

The guy doesn’t know the difference between facts and opinions so it’s not worth the time. He also thinks an interview with the author is an opinion piece. My second grade nephew knows more of a difference.

Reactions: Bobfather

huskersdewclaw

Senior
Gold Member
Dec 12, 2003
Anyone who has spent even 1 semester at a Jesuit institution of higher education AND had the misfortune of having a Jesuit as a professor knows how they are. Flaming liberals with a Capital F. Even to the detriment of fellow Catholics. To say that Jesuits are in general extremists is an understatement. You could answer a question with what you had been taught your whole life and they would filet you. Mostly because they could.

Reactions: RedHour

FuzzyFreddy

Athletic Director
Gold Member
May 28, 2012
You're nothing but a fraud.

Reactions: Bobfather