ADVERTISEMENT

Offensive Line

Holding is hardly ever called if the defender doesn’t go to the ground.
And it absolutely bothers the hell out of me when the defender goes to the ground and the offensive lineman automatically gets called for holding.... Just because the O lineman falls on top the the defender it shouldn't be holding, imo, but it often time elicits a yellow hanky!

How long have you been watching Nebraska football? There is a standard here. Do you remember that they used to track pancake blocks? That's when you drive your opponent into the ground. To not take an opportunity to drive your opponent into the ground is almost blasphemous.

You keep bringing up holding, but I do not see where the holding would happen there. Benhart just needs to drive his feet and run right through that other guy and he's on the ground. And he probably knocks another Buckeye down if he does that. Maybe you don't think that matters, but that adds up over the course of a game. And I guarantee you his opponents will be feeling a lot different about going up against him every single play.
Pancake blocking is a good motivational tool, but it's generally not actually useful in a game situation. Taking your guy out of the play, and then moving on to the next guy quickly is going go be far more effective.

Best o-line since Bo Pelinis nephew started at center for us. This O-line is not a worry at all. They did more than hold their own against supposed nfl talent. We will win with these guys

? What was I wrong about? I am content with the way Benhart played Saturday. My #1 criticism of him still persists though. Why?

This clip shows precisely why (and shows the exact same thing that he showed in the high school bowl game). Look what happens at the end of the play. Jurgens pancakes his guy with authority and sends him to the nether realm. Benhart completely takes his foot off the gas at precisely the point that he should be flooring it. That's a little too soft for my liking (and I guarantee you the staff feels the same way). There is a mentality that is still not there with Benhart and hopefully it comes along.

But like I said, happy with the "doing your job" part of his game right now.

I see what you are saying on this clip. My guess is on this play he is to pick the first color to the inside. That would normally be either an ILB or an OLB that flowed over.

What he did on the block has been my criticism for the past three years. There is an initial strike but not much else. If the assignment was correct, a guess would be a small step with the right foot to angle the block showing more of his number to the hole and then drive.

In that block the Defender is sitting there with his eyes in the backfield and generally doesn't see the lineman coming up the A gap from behind the line. He will learn to use body position and power straight through the guy.

Last edited:
I'd like to see Piper in for Farniok. He had two costly mistakes Saturday and our "captain" can't be doing that

Agree. You move Farniok to his "natural" spot and he is the lineman that still probably graded out the worst, or at least he did in pass pro. Outside of him or line looked good. Jurgens still needs to work on snaps, but he had some pancakes and looked decent when blocking.

This was the highlight of the day imo. Everyone on the line got much better. I was most impressed with Jurgens and Benhart and I think they both got a couple pancake blocks.

There was actually one play where the NU offensive line had 2 pancakes. I think there were games last year where we didn't have 2 pancake blocks.

Reactions: BleedRed78
In Farniok’s defense he was competing against their best DT (read this in a thread by Sean I believe).

Agree. You move Farniok to his "natural" spot and he is the lineman that still probably graded out the worst, or at least he did in pass pro. Outside of him or line looked good. Jurgens still needs to work on snaps, but he had some pancakes and looked decent when blocking.
I wonder what will suddenly become Farniok's natural spot when he gets leapfrogged by one of the reserve guards?

Reactions: leodisflowers
The same PFF that told me Lamar Jackson was a good corner? Aight

I believe they know a whole lot more about the game than you or I. Plus they consider every single snap, not just a few great plays, or a few terrible plays.

Are you referring to the same Lamar Jackson who was 2nd team all B1G and who is currently playing in the NFL? If so, he must be a decent player.

Last edited:
I believe they know a whole lot more about the game than you or I. Plus they consider every single snap, not just a few great plays, or a few terrible plays.

Are you referring to the same Lamar Jackson who was 2nd team all B1G and who is currently playing in the NFL? If so, he must be a decent player.

I'm all for him having a good career but he was not good. He went undrafted for a reason

He was injured toward the end of the first half, but came back in the second half. He is a beast and there is a huge drop off when he’s out.
I watched first half and listened to second half on radio. Sounds like the high snaps returned in the second half. True??

I'm all for him having a good career but he was not good. He went undrafted for a reason

And then made an NFL roster and has started 2 games. He’s starting in the NFL for a reason. How many bad players do you know that start NFL games?

Odds of being drafted by NFL for college seniors is like 2%. Add in underclassmen declaring and it drops further.

He is basically one of the top .1 % of the players in the world, but you can still say he wasn’t a good player.

And then made an NFL roster and has started 2 games. He’s starting in the NFL for a reason. How many bad players do you know that start NFL games?

Odds of being drafted by NFL for college seniors is like 2%. Add in underclassmen declaring and it drops further.

He is basically one of the top .1 % of the players in the world, but you can still say he wasn’t a good player.

LMAO I love the argument comparing him to the "world" - you'd have to at least break it down into males between the ages of 17-22. His coverage improved a little but he did NOT like tackling. I saw so many times he would shy away or act like he's running with a WR.

I actually broke it down in a couple ways

here are the facts

High school seniors who go on to play NCAA football (not just D1, nor NAIA) is 5.8%

NCAA seniors drafted is 2%

High School seniors who played football who end up getting drafted is about 9 in 10,000 or .09%

I have no idea how to break it down into the “world comparison so that was my error. If I did he would probably be in the top .000009% (ok, that’s just a wild guess).

You might not have liked him as a player, and you obviously didn’t think he was good. But the NFL does and he is one of the .09% that played football at some level and made it to the NFL.

Last edited:
Another link I found stated there are approximately 16,380 football players eligible to be drafted. Only 254 are. Roughly 1.6%.

Not sure how many D1 players there are, nor how many are available in his position. That would be another way to break it down.

I watched first half and listened to second half on radio. Sounds like the high snaps returned in the second half. True??
To a degree. None that got away or to where the QB had to jump, but enough that they could have thrown off timing some.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT