ADVERTISEMENT

Offensive Line

HominidHusker

First Team All-Big Ten
Jun 25, 2018
Sure it’s been mentioned, but just feel the big guys up front deserved their own thread.
To me, the fellas up front were the highlight of the day.
Kudos to Greg Austin for his recruiting and development.
It’s a big reason for optimism. I saw a few great things out there.
Our DL held their own against NFL caliber OL, but we should be able to move the ball a bit with the OL leading the way and hopefully score more points than our overall porous defense allows.

The last drive of the second half Farniok played. Sam Mckewon said on Twitter that Jurgens was on a cart.
I think that was at the end of the first half, but Jurgens came back out and played the second half:

Check out Jurgens pancacke one this one, in addition to Benhart.

You know, I thought Benhart had a pretty good first start from a "do your job" standpoint. But I still have criticism about how he finishes plays. Compare how he finishes his block to how Jurgens does. Benhart needs to start burying some of these guys when he gets the chance. He does look pretty good pulling there at his size, now let's take it to the next level.

Reactions: BleedRed78
Sure it’s been mentioned, but just feel the big guys up front deserved their own thread.
To me, the fellas up front were the highlight of the day.
Kudos to Greg Austin for his recruiting and development.
It’s a big reason for optimism. I saw a few great things out there.
Our DL held their own against NFL caliber OL, but we should be able to move the ball a bit with the OL leading the way and hopefully score more points than our overall porous defense allows.
This was the highlight of the day imo. Everyone on the line got much better. I was most impressed with Jurgens and Benhart and I think they both got a couple pancake blocks.

Yeah I thought the OL play was decent. You don't love the holding calls but they don't surprise me against that kind of DL.
I thought the holding calls we got were pretty weak. Ohio State was holding much worse at times and never got called.

Reactions: huntered
West started at LG but Piper rotated in as a regular and I was really impressed with Piper's quickness when pulling. He's going to be a good one for us. I thought Benhart did a great job for his first start. The OL room is in good shape for next year. Wouldn't mind if they subbed some for Farniok too.

As far as holding, OSU liked grabbing the collar.

I thought the OL played pretty well. Benhart, and Piper held their own in their first action against some seriously talented players.

agreed!!! But I remember a little awhile back, we heard how Bryce Benhart was soft and I believe I even heard OSU was going to have a field day against him. Boy was that wrong, Benhart more then held his own against one of the most talented Dlines and LBs we will face this season. I called it before we started playing and I’ll say again, this Oline will be solid to good this year and we won’t see our Oline a weakness again while Austin and Frost is here. GBR

agreed!!! But I remember a little awhile back, we heard how Bryce Benhart was soft and I believe I even heard OSU was going to have a field day against him. Boy was that wrong, Benhart more then held his own against one of the most talented Dlines and LBs we will face this season. I called it before we started playing and I’ll say again, this Oline will be solid to good this year and we won’t see our Oline a weakness again while Austin and Frost is here. GBR

Benhart looked good. He has really quick feet for a guy that tall. I don’t think he’s yet mauling and manhandling B1G competition, but it won’t be long.

he’s definitely not “SOFT”...;)
OL will be strength of team for next several years. A lot of experience there right now. Depth is really good too. So good i wouldn't be surprised if there are a couple transfers within the next 2 years. there are just too many really good young OLs on the roster for all of them to become starters. there are already a couple names from 2 years ago that dont show up on the depth chart that if they are paying attention can see their road to playing time in the next 4 years will prove difficult if not impossible

OL will be strength of team for next several years. A lot of experience there right now. Depth is really good too. So good i wouldn't be surprised if there are a couple transfers within the next 2 years. there are just too many really good young OLs on the roster for all of them to become starters. there are already a couple names from 2 years ago that dont show up on the depth chart that if they are paying attention can see their road to playing time in the next 4 years will prove difficult if not impossible

Piper and Turner Corcoran both got snaps and both did well when they got in. That’s very telling for both but even more so for Turner Corcoran considering he is a true freshman and that was our game1 of the season.

Last edited:
You know, I thought Benhart had a pretty good first start from a "do your job" standpoint. But I still have criticism about how he finishes plays. Compare how he finishes his block to how Jurgens does. Benhart needs to start burying some of these guys when he gets the chance. He does look pretty good pulling there at his size, now let's take it to the next level.

you are unreal. His first ever start and it happens to be against OSU and that talent. He did great considering they had no spring ball or practices and even less reps dues to the COVID-19 virus. Even Jaimes struggled his freshman year and Benhart more then held his own. Just own up and admit you was wrong about Bryce Benhart. I know I would. He is definitely NOT SOFT. You was beyond wrong there.

Last edited:
Reactions: bshirt73
you are unreal. His first ever start and it happens to be against OSU and that talent. He did great considering they had no spring ball or practices and even less reps dues to the COVID-19 virus. Even Jaimes struggled his freshman year and Benhart more then held his own. Just own up and admit you was wrong about Bryce Benhart. I know I would.

? What was I wrong about? I am content with the way Benhart played Saturday. My #1 criticism of him still persists though. Why?

This clip shows precisely why (and shows the exact same thing that he showed in the high school bowl game). Look what happens at the end of the play. Jurgens pancakes his guy with authority and sends him to the nether realm. Benhart completely takes his foot off the gas at precisely the point that he should be flooring it. That's a little too soft for my liking (and I guarantee you the staff feels the same way). There is a mentality that is still not there with Benhart and hopefully it comes along.

But like I said, happy with the "doing your job" part of his game right now.

? What was I wrong about? I am content with the way Benhart played Saturday. My #1 criticism of him still persists though. Why?

This clip shows precisely why (and shows the exact same thing that he showed in the high school bowl game). Look what happens at the end of the play. Jurgens pancakes his guy with authority and sends him to the nether realm. Benhart completely takes his foot off the gas at precisely the point that he should be flooring it. That's a little too soft for my liking (and I guarantee you the staff feels the same way). There is a mentality that is still not there with Benhart and hopefully it comes along.

But like I said, happy with the "doing your job" part of his game right now.

maybe I have you mixed up with someone else. If so, my bad. But wasn’t it you that called Benhart soft before the season started? Again, I could be thinking of someone else.

Benhart had the highest run blocking grade on the entire line and he had the second highest grade of all the starters yesterday per PFF. Pretty good for a freshman making his first ever start vs OSU.

And I’m sure, dude made his first ever start as a RS freshman. He’s still learning and that mean streak will come over time. I for one didn’t expect perfection during his first EVER start, that happens to be against the OSU Buckeyes.

Last edited:
Reactions: BleedRed78
maybe I have you mixed up with someone else. If so, my bad. But wasn’t it you that called Benhart soft before the season started? Again, I could be thinking of someone else. Benhart had the highest run blocking grade on the entire line and he had the second highest grade of all the starters yesterday per PFF. Pretty good for a freshman making his first ever start vs OSU.

Were you also saying Lamar wasn't soft last season because PFF said he was doing his job in coverage? Like I said, I *guarantee* you the staff and Benhart's fellow OL want him to be more physical and finish his blocks with authority. Doesn't mean he isn't doing his job or holding his weight, it just means he is playing a little too nice right now.

Were you also saying Lamar wasn't soft last season because PFF said he was doing his job in coverage? Like I said, I *guarantee* you the staff and Benhart's fellow OL want him to be more physical and finish his blocks with authority. Doesn't mean he isn't doing his job or holding his weight, it just means he is playing a little too nice right now.

what? I never said Lamar Jackson wasnt soft. All I ever did was point out he had decent grades vs pass coverage. We all know Jackson was soft vs the run. Always has been. It was Bootle I backed more then anyone and man, so far i was wrong there. You notice that, I owned up. I WAS WRONG!!! I wonder if others can do the same?

Playing to nice because he didn’t HOLD his defender in that clip? No offense, I’d call that smart, not exactly nice.

West started at LG but Piper rotated in as a regular and I was really impressed with Piper's quickness when pulling. He's going to be a good one for us. I thought Benhart did a great job for his first start. The OL room is in good shape for next year. Wouldn't mind if they subbed some for Farniok too.

As far as holding, OSU liked grabbing the collar.
This completely - commented on that a couple times watching the game. Nice to be able to feel good about the lines after a game

Reactions: bshirt73
what? I never said Lamar Jackson wasnt soft. All I ever did was point out he had decent grades vs pass coverage. We all know Jackson was soft vs the run. Always has been. It was Bootle I backed more then anyone and man, so far i was wrong there. You notice that, I owned up. I WAS WRONG!!! I wonder if others can do the same?

Playing to nice because he didn’t HOLD his defender in that clip? No offense, I’d call that smart, not exactly nice.

You are missing my point. You deflect from my criticism of Benhart by pointing out his PFF grades. That's not my criticism of his game. Just as my criticism of Lamar's play was not his coverage/PFF grades.

Benhart had the opportunity to dominate his opponent and did not take it. It is a recurring theme in his film. One that I hope is rectified ASAP. Greatness awaits him at that point.

More athletic and cohesive group for sure..... Their arms need to get better with the hooking and outside reach as to avoid holding calls, but overall much improved!
Holding is hardly ever called if the defender doesn’t go to the ground.

You are missing my point. You deflect from my criticism of Benhart by pointing out his PFF grades. That's not my criticism of his game. Just as my criticism of Lamar's play was not his coverage/PFF grades.

Benhart had the opportunity to dominate his opponent and did not take it. It is a recurring theme in his film. One that I hope is rectified ASAP. Greatness awaits him at that point.

You and I definitely have two different views. Sorry but I’m glad he doesn’t hold his guys and releases over getting holding calls. Sorry but Benhart did a good job and so far, you are the only person I seen knocking him. Everyone else I have seen on Twitter, Instagram and on these messages boards have said how well he did and how much better he was then most expected considering the opponent we played.

You and I definitely have two different views. Sorry but I’m glad he doesn’t hold his guys and releases over getting holding calls. Sorry but Benhart did a good job and so far, you are the only person I seen knocking him. Everyone else I have seen on Twitter, Instagram and on these messages boards have said how well he did and how much better he was then most expected considering the opponent we played.

How long have you been watching Nebraska football? There is a standard here. Do you remember that they used to track pancake blocks? That's when you drive your opponent into the ground. To not take an opportunity to drive your opponent into the ground is almost blasphemous.

You keep bringing up holding, but I do not see where the holding would happen there. Benhart just needs to drive his feet and run right through that other guy and he's on the ground. And he probably knocks another Buckeye down if he does that. Maybe you don't think that matters, but that adds up over the course of a game. And I guarantee you his opponents will be feeling a lot different about going up against him every single play.

How long have you been watching Nebraska football? There is a standard here. Do you remember that they used to track pancake blocks? That's when you drive your opponent into the ground. To not take an opportunity to drive your opponent into the ground is almost blasphemous.

You keep bringing up holding, but I do not see where the holding would happen there. Benhart just needs to drive his feet and run right through that other guy and he's on the ground. And he probably knocks another Buckeye down if he does that. Maybe you don't think that matters, but that adds up over the course of a game. And I guarantee you his opponents will be feeling a lot different about going up against him every single play.

a standard here? I’m 39 years old. Yes I’d love to see evey single Oline of our throw defenders onto their butts and backs. But unfortunately it doesn’t happen, even more so these days. It’s funny some of you guys expect our teams to play like they did in the 1990s. Unfortunately we aren’t in those years anymore and the times have changed. Most of those plays would be flagged if it happened now.

If Bryce Benhart ingages and makes his blocks and getting the defense away from QB or ball carrier and that’s it. I’m fine with that. He’s making said block and he is disrupting the defenses. Awesome, better then we seen for several years on the Oline. Like I said, dudes a dam RS freshman starting his first game ever. That mean streak will come over time with confidence. Myself, I’m giving him credit for doing a good job because he wasn’t beat left and right and OSU did NOT have a field day against him. To me, that’s a win for him and our team.

Last edited:
was concerned preseason about big ben being/having the footwork necessary against big opponents. not anymore. as far as pancakes those will come. just getting to point of being in the way and making a block is fantastic for his first game. he will just get better. might as well get the bacon and eggs ready!

was concerned preseason about big ben being/having the footwork necessary against big opponents. not anymore. as far as pancakes those will come. just getting to point of being in the way and making a block is fantastic for his first game. he will just get better. might as well get the bacon and eggs ready!
Exactly. One step at a time. I’m just glad he held his own and wasn’t beat left and right. As a matter of fact, he didn’t give a single QB hit or sack and had the highest run blocking grade.

ADVERTISEMENT