ADVERTISEMENT

Offensive Line analysis - film review

We abandoned the run at the start of the 2nd quarter when we still had the lead. I think Lubick looked at what the D was willing to give us and thought we should try to take advantage of that. The problem was that IMO Illinois had us scouted and were well prepared. With the TV views you really can't see the field very well but it appeared to me that for much of the game it was taking too long for our guys to get open and AMart is not a QB who can throw a guy open. He waits until they have a step and then throws it which given his inaccuracy probably isn't a bad thing.

IF we could protect a second longer maybe he could get comfortable but he's not a guy who takes hits and responds well to it. He's not Zac Taylor. He needs to be in a run first offense. I am NOT against a pass first offense but damn when you're struggling to protect your QB and you're struggling to complete passes you HAVE to run the ball. I don't care if RB carries are only getting you 3 yards per attempt.
Your definition of abandoned is different than mine - at least at the start of 2Q. Here’s the play calls in the quarter:

Run, Run (TD Stepp), Pass (Martin deep ball), Run, Run, Run, Pass (overthrow Liewer), Run, Pass (overthrow Allen). At this point, there’s 9:18 left in the Qtr. Next possession we get the ball with 2:51 left. Run, Pass, Pass, Pass, Pass, Pass, Pass, Pass, Run, Pass. End of half. Looks to me like he abandoned the run late in the Qtr. Probably should have stuck with the run a little more late but they stayed with the run for much of the half. The score & time got away in the 2nd half. I don’t see a pass first offense. Perception is different than reality.

Yeah, one of bigger problems I’ve witnessed the last couple years is how few of our passing completions are 1. quick throws and 2. hitting moving targets in stride.
A couple of our better plays against IL were those rare circumstances of quick, decisive throws hitting a WR in stride.
While it’s part of the game, we too often are only hitting stationary targets or improvising on broken down plays.
I want some kfc extra crispy, cus we’re hungry!

We’ll be toast this year if we can’t get the running game off the ground.
Adrian appears to me to be afraid to throw the ball in to tight coverage. I think the Interception issue from last year has been drilled in to his head so deep that he's just afraid to pull the trigger and then when he does sometimes he gets the yips and short arms it. IMO, his problems are all mental and I think he's ruined. IMO, it's time to sit him and start somebody else. If it doesn't happen in these next 2 games it will after OU. He's going to get abused against the Sooners.

Reactions: HominidHusker
Your definition of abandoned is different than mine - at least at the start of 2Q. Here’s the play calls in the quarter:

Run, Run (TD Stepp), Pass (Martin deep ball), Run, Run, Run, Pass (overthrow Liewer), Run, Pass (overthrow Allen). At this point, there’s 9:18 left in the Qtr. Next possession we get the ball with 2:51 left. Run, Pass, Pass, Pass, Pass, Pass, Pass, Pass, Run, Pass. End of half. Looks to me like he abandoned the run late in the Qtr. Probably should have stuck with the run a little more late but they stayed with the run for much of the half. The score & time got away in the 2nd half. I don’t see a pass first offense. Perception is different than reality.
Who ran the ball on those plays? I haven't checked the game recap but multiple writers and commentators have said "we didn't have a RB run from after a few minutes in to the second quarter until nearly the end of the 3rd quarter". Multiple "run plays" are actually QB scrambles or sacks.

Reactions: HominidHusker
X's and O's, it is not about. Jimmy's and Joe's, it is. O line, D line, most important it is, as in the past, I have said. Agree with you I do. Lines, frost must fix, or fired, in his future, I forsee.

Who ran the ball on those plays? I haven't checked the game recap but multiple writers and commentators have said "we didn't have a RB run from after a few minutes in to the second quarter until nearly the end of the 3rd quarter". Multiple "run plays" are actually QB scrambles or sacks.
Read my post. I underlined the word calls. Thus, they were designed runs, not scrambles. Don’t believe me? Go watch the game again - which is what I did to put together the list. The last running play before AM overthrew Allen was an option play pitch to Toure. Maybe they didn’t count him as a running back but several plays prior, we had RBs toting the ball. When there was under 3 min left in the half, the only running play we had appeared to be a Zone Read where AM kept the ball and gained about 6 yards. Does that not count as a running play?

You claimed they abandoned the run early in the 2nd Qtr. An option pitch right before the field goal and a zone read at 2:51 left would say otherwise. “No RB run” isn’t the same as “abandoning the run”. Heck, Ervin ran the ball on the next to last play of the 1st half. I agree they didn’t have an RB carry the ball until nearly the end of the 3rd Qtr - but they only had 4 offensive plays as well. Again, I mentioned IL ran 8 minutes off the clock & scored coming out in the 3rd Qtr, we got 3 plays, and then IL scored again. The next time we get the ball, there’s not much time left in the 3rd and we’re down by 21. Then Adrian takes off on a scramble & scores. Time became important.

Last edited:
Read my post. I underlined the word calls. Thus, they were designed runs, not scrambles. Don’t believe me? Go watch the game again - which is what I did to put together the list. The last running play before AM overthrew Allen was an option play pitch to Toure. Maybe they didn’t count him as a running back but several plays prior, we had RBs toting the ball. When there was under 3 min left in the half, the only running play we had appeared to be a Zone Read where AM kept the ball and gained about 6 yards. Does that not count as a running play?

You claimed they abandoned the run early in the 2nd Qtr. An option pitch right before the field goal and a zone read at 2:51 left would say otherwise. “No RB run” isn’t the same as “abandoning the run”. Heck, Ervin ran the ball on the next to last play of the 1st half. I agree they didn’t have an RB carry the ball until nearly the end of the 3rd Qtr - but they only had 4 offensive plays as well. Again, I mentioned IL ran 8 minutes off the clock & scored coming out in the 3rd Qtr, we got 3 plays, and then IL scored again. The next time we get the ball, there’s not much time left in the 3rd and we’re down by 21. Then Adrian takes off on a scramble & scores. Time became important.
I said no RUNNING BACK runs for almost 2 quarters. That is what multiple outlets reported. I don't see the play chart anywhere on Huskers.com so I don't know where your getting your information from.

I said no RUNNING BACK runs for almost 2 quarters. That is what multiple outlets reported. I don't see the play chart anywhere on Huskers.com so I don't know where your getting your information from.
SMH. Keep changing your narrative. 2 sources for my information: 1. Rewatching the game, 2. Play-by-play transcript of the game on ESPN’s website.

SMH. Keep changing your narrative. 2 sources for my information: 1. Rewatching the game, 2. Play-by-play transcript of the game on ESPN’s website.
Didn't change anything. We called drop back after drop back for Adrian in that second quarter one of which ended in him giving up a scoop and score. We gave up on the run. The numbers of called RB runs versus the number of attempts to pass the ball (including scrambles and sacks) was stupid.

If we're not running the ball 65-70% of the time with this QB we're in trouble.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT