ADVERTISEMENT

Offensive Line analysis - film review

HominidHusker

First Team All-Big Ten
Jun 25, 2018
So much focus on Adrian, OL needs spotlight. I made video clips for some friends I can’t post here, but will try to capture the accompanying notes.
For starters/context, IL had new coaches and in 2020 were last in B1G in rush yards allowed, last in total yards allowed, 13th in points allowed and 8th in passing allowed (as passing apparently wasnt needed to get W’s).

Here’s the rundown of some sample plays in order:
1. 5 OL vs 3 DL run:
Jurgens leaves the NT to Piper who whiffs royally- NT blows up backfield instantly.
I don’t see the point of Jurgens leaving that man for Piper on that play when Piper is 3 yds away. Needs to at least chip him to set up Piper (5 v 3)
2. Run: Piper not paying attention as he pulls and pushes Jurgens in back instead of picking up the defender blowing right by him.
3. Run: Piper gets easily beat with a simple horizontal step and defender blows up backfield again.
4. 3rd and 5 pass near goal line: Both OT’s get easily pushed back 4-5 yds to collapse the pocket quickly (a theme that I did not capture every example of).
5. zone read run: Adrian seems to make wrong decision (as he should default to RB on 50/50 reads) missing out on what looked like a nice crease with numbers advantage for RB on the left and chooses to keep right where Sichterman is blocking DL from the inside and Adrian now is outside in no man’s land getting chased by 3 unblocked defenders. (QB error made this list, but not sure Sichterman was in position).
6. Pass: Piper asleep at the wheel following Jurgens, missing the defender blowing right by him for a sack.
7. Pass 5 OL vs 3 man rush: Corcoran stops his feet and gets instantly beat by a standard spin move sending AM running. Meanwhile the other 4 linemen crowd together keeping a second DL in check and Benhart lets the third DL slip around the far edge to chase down a scrambling AM.
8. Pass: Sichterman has his guy engaged but can’t sustain it for a full 2 seconds which quickly produces contact on AM while he tries to hit the wide open Hickman.
9. Pass: Corcoran gets instantly bull rushed straight into AM. Sichterman can’t handle a switch on his side and Adrian fumbles because protecting the ball in traffic is not valued.
10. Pass: Allen can’t block his guy for 2 seconds putting pressure on a rolling out AM who fails in short skipping his Mahomes throw.
11. Pass: Banks gets torched and takes holding penalty (Benhart didnt hold his side that great, and scrambling senior AM stopped short of line to gain on 3rd down)
12. Pass: Not sure how blame goes, but left side of line misses a stunt crossover and 3 vs 3 lets DL loose on AM. That’s a more advanced play, but also standard.
13. This is where we get an update that on the 4 drives before AM’s 75 yd TD run, we ran 13 plays for -8 (minus 8) yds. yowzers.
14. Pass: Corcoran completely whiffs on a JV swim move = pocket gone
15. Pass: Piper comes off the guy he engages with in front of him to help Jurgens, giving his guy a free run straight at AM for a sack. WTF was that?… oh and Corcoran got blown up again also.

16. Somewhere in the mix would be Jurgens bear hug of the guy he has right in front of him, as well as the bad snap.

IL (the 2020 bottom feeders of defense) barely blitzed and barely needed any trickery to pull off this domination.
They can talk odd/even all day, but this was just getting manhandled and “out-brained.”
I’ve never played OL, but can recognize some basic fundamentals like inability to maintain leverage against a bull rush.

This is where we’re at in Year 4.

Last edited:
So much focus on Adrian, OL needs spotlight. I made video clips for some friends I can’t post here, but will try to capture the accompanying notes.
For starters/context, IL had new coaches and in 2020 were last in B1G in rush yards allowed, last in total yards allowed, 13th in points allowed and 8th in passing allowed (as passing apparently wasnt needed to get W’s).

1. 5 OL vs 3 DL run:
Jurgens leaves the NT to Piper who whiffs royally- NT blows up backfield instantly.
I don’t see the point of Jurgens leaving that man for Piper on that play when Piper is 3 yds away. Needs to at least chip him to set up Piper (5 v 3)
2. Run: Piper not paying attention as he pulls and pushes Jurgens in back instead of picking up the defender blowing right by him.
3. Run: Piper gets easily beat with a simple horizontal step and defender blows up backfield again.
4. 3rd and 5 pass near goal line: Both OT’s get easily pushed back 4-5 yds to collapse the pocket quickly (a theme that I did not capture every example of).
5. zone read run: Adrian seems to make wrong decision (as he should default to RB on 50/50 reads) missing out on what looked like a nice crease with numbers advantage for RB on the left and chooses to keep right where Sichterman is blocking DL from the inside and Adrian now is outside in no man’s land getting chased by 3 unblocked defenders. (QB error made this list, but not sure Sichterman was in position).
6. Pass: Piper asleep at the wheel following Jurgens, missing the defender blowing right by him for a sack.
7. Pass 5 OL vs 3 man rush: Corcoran stops his feet and gets instantly beat by a standard spin move sending AM running. Meanwhile the other 4 linemen crowd together keeping a second DL in check and Benhart lets the third DL slip around the far edge to chase down a scrambling AM.
8. Pass: Sichterman has his guy engaged but can’t sustain it for a full 2 seconds which quickly produces contact on AM while he tries to hit the wide open Hickman.
9. Pass: Corcoran gets instantly bull rushed straight into AM. Sichterman can’t handle a switch on his side and Adrian fumbles because protecting the ball in traffic is not valued.
10. Pass: Allen can’t block his guy for 2 seconds putting pressure on a rolling out AM who fails in short skipping his Mahomes throw.
11. Pass: Banks gets torched and takes holding penalty (Benhart didnt hold his side that great, and scrambling senior AM stopped short of line to gain on 3rd down)
12. Pass: Not sure how blame goes, but left side of line misses a stunt crossover and 3 vs 3 lets DL loose on AM. That’s a more advanced play, but also standard.
13. This is where we get an update that on the 4 drives before AM’s 75 yd TD run, we ran 13 plays for -8 (minus 8) yds. yowzers.
15. Pass: Piper comes off the guy he engages with in front of him to help Jurgens, giving his guy a free run straight at AM for a sack. WTF was that?… oh and Corcoran got blown up again also.

16. Somewhere in the mix would be Jurgens bear hug of the guy he has right in front of him, as well as the bad snap.

IL (the 2020 bottom feeders of defense) barely blitzed and barely needed any trickery to pull off this domination.
They can talk odd/even all day, but this was just getting manhandled and “out-brained.”
I’ve never played OL, but can recognize some basic fundamentals like inability to maintain leverage against a bull rush.

None of this is really new or surprising. This is what a Greg Austin coached offensive line looks like, and I wasn't expecting anything different.

None of this is really new or surprising. This is what a Greg Austin coached offensive line looks like, and I wasn't expecting anything different.
It seems like he’s demonstrated some improvement during the season with his unit, which should be expected, but then every year it feels like we’re extremely slow out the gate and simply not ready.
Despite being a HS All-American, playing a RS frosh at LT is never ideal, and he also missed most of fall camp it sounds like, but Banks wasn’t ready either.

… and despite the sub-par showing on OL, the game was also lost on the inexcusable safety, the inexcusable taunting penalty, the inexcusable Martinez fumble, missing 2 PAT’s and inability to punt the ball properly multiple times.
3 of 5 listed issues were special teams, the reported “emphasis” all off-season.
2 of 5 listed issues were inexplicable errors from veteran captains.
… but this thread was still about OL performance. sigh.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Austin as an O-line coach is JV High School Level trying to play in a big boy league.

As far as the players that were ‘supposed to be improved’ this year…all this talk about run the damn ball was just that…talk! Same stuff different year with this group. Same boneheaded mistakes continually happening because the position coach obviously does not stress the details and allow the crap to happen.

For a moment I questioned, “and why didn’t we run some RB screen passes with DL living in the backfield?”
Then I remembered those are for blitzes and IL didn’t have to blitz for pressure so the LBs just sat there and waited. An easy day for them really.

Reactions: NikkiSixx
It seems like he’s demonstrated some improvement during the season with his unit, which should be expected, but then every year it feels like we’re extremely slow out the gate and simply not ready.
Despite being a HS All-American, playing a RS frosh at LT is never ideal, and he also missed most of fall camp it sounds like, but Banks wasn’t ready either.
I think the OL improves throughout the year in spite of Austin, not because of him. Because even the last few years I think we've had some talent at that position, it's just that Austin doesn't get anything out of it.

I didn't get to watch the game Saturday so ran the reply back and forth all night tonight.

Good grief, this team is terrible. @oldjar if you think this O line is going to automatically improve, you are more hopeless than I thought. Playing an inferior opponent will make them look better.

I could not count the total number of whiffs on blocks. The same thing has plagued this team with Austin, poor footwork, give up too much ground and can't maintain contact. I seriously do not know how this guy has a job.

But, I have been saying this for over two years, the first year is free.

Does anyone wonder why Illinois kept running to their left and our right all day? I should have charted how many plays went left versus right. We are woeful on the perimeter with our linebackers. People get all ga-ga over a play made on a blitz only to watch a LB get sealed off and the RB go around him.

Until we get much and I mean a LOT better coaching, this team is going no where. This is just brutal to watch.

1. 5 OL vs 3 DL run:

This, right here, is why I spend time on this board. Actual, insightful information.

Good grief, this team is terrible. @oldjar if you think this O line is going to automatically improve, you are more hopeless than I thought. Playing an inferior opponent will make them look better.

I could not count the total number of whiffs on blocks. The same thing has plagued this team with Austin, poor footwork, give up too much ground and can't maintain contact. I seriously do not know how this guy has a job.

Does anyone wonder why Illinois kept running to their left and our right all day? I should have charted how many plays went left versus right. We are woeful on the perimeter with our linebackers. People get all ga-ga over a play made on a blitz only to watch a LB get sealed off and the RB go around him.

Until we get much and I mean a LOT better coaching, this team is going no where. This is just brutal to watch.

Yeah I noticed that a little. I think they were targeting Nelson and seeing if his edge integrity was still iffy and it was on at least one critical play. The other thing was I believe that's Newsome's side. He was not a very physical CB in run support last year, so they were probably testing him to see if he's Lamar Jackson 2.0 or not. I think he came up and made a few hits though.

Reactions: NikkiSixx
I didn't get to watch the game Saturday so ran the reply back and forth all night tonight.

Exactly. Once I started noticing Illinois running to the left I knew it was because 44 was on that side

You completely misunderstood my comment. The OL has in fact tended to improve throughout the season each of the last 3 seasons. The problem is the starting point is so low, it doesn't really mean much if there's improvement. Austin has done an absolutely miserable job of getting his unit prepared to start each season. I believe the OL does have talent, so they'll continue to improve throughout the season just based on that. But if it takes halfway through the season for your unit to start performing at their base level of potential, that's a serious problem. Btw I saw this pattern all in year 1 and wanted Austin gone then.

1. 5 OL vs 3 DL run:

Great info and insight.. explains a lot why nothing was working.

Reactions: HominidHusker

1. 5 OL vs 3 DL run:

Wow, what this is like watching a bunch of "Drunken Keystone Cops" running around not sure what to do.

Just from watching on the TV you could see that Illinois was a much more physical football team. Must have carried over from Lovie. Their OL looked way bigger and stronger than ours. Maybe because they were all 30 years old.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
HOL 3-2-1 article today:

The updated grades on PFF had the line with 23 allowed pressures (sacks, hits, hurries) on 44 dropbacks. In all, Adrian Martinez was pressured on 26 of 44 total dropbacks on Saturday. Guard Ethan Piper gave up three sacks, one hit and one hurry, as those are numbers you don't typically see from an interior lineman. NU's other guard Sichterman gave up one sack, one hurry and one QB hit. So eight of the 23 pressures allowed came from the Huskers two starting guards.

Tackles Bryce Benhart (four hurries), Turner Corcoran (six hurries, one QB hit) and Brant Banks (two hurries, one QB hit) also struggled.

The only lineman that graded out fair in the final numbers on PFF in pass pro was center Cameron Jurgens, who didn't allow a pressure on 47 pass plays and earned a grade of 84.7 in pass protection.

The bottom line is, yes Martinez missed some guys on Saturday, but the numbers do not lie. He was under pressure on 26 of his 44 dropbacks. In comparison, Illinois's quarterbacks were only under pressure 5-of-23 dropbacks.”

HOL 3-2-1 article today:

The updated grades on PFF had the line with 23 allowed pressures (sacks, hits, hurries) on 44 dropbacks. In all, Adrian Martinez was pressured on 26 of 44 total dropbacks on Saturday. Guard Ethan Piper gave up three sacks, one hit and one hurry, as those are numbers you don't typically see from an interior lineman. NU's other guard Sichterman gave up one sack, one hurry and one QB hit. So eight of the 23 pressures allowed came from the Huskers two starting guards.

Tackles Bryce Benhart (four hurries), Turner Corcoran (six hurries, one QB hit) and Brant Banks (two hurries, one QB hit) also struggled.

The only lineman that graded out fair in the final numbers on PFF in pass pro was center Cameron Jurgens, who didn't allow a pressure on 47 pass plays and earned a grade of 84.7 in pass protection.

The bottom line is, yes Martinez missed some guys on Saturday, but the numbers do not lie. He was under pressure on 26 of his 44 dropbacks. In comparison, Illinois's quarterbacks were only under pressure 5-of-23 dropbacks.”
Those numbers don't seem correct on the Illinois side. We got a lot of pressure early including three sacks. I'd have to go back and watch the tape, but there were numerous times we about got home outside of the sacks.

HOL 3-2-1 article today:

does PFF compute time iin seconds in the pocket before a pass, sack, or decision to run? AM is the slowest minded QB i've seen in a while that can't make a decision. Harry Potter working wonders and magic with our QBs.

THANK YOU. Pretty much sums up my observations too. I thought I was in the minority cause I got called out by someone on here asking if I watched the game!!

HOL 3-2-1 article today:

The real question is why we're having Martinez drop back 44 times? Stupid. Run the damned ball until your QB can prove he can complete a 10 yard pass to a WIDE open receiver.

Last edited:
Yep. We have to start taking more shots and connecting. AM isn't that guy. Our offense needs the passing attach so it can take pressure off the line and the RB's. Right now, no one fears the pass game.
Run blocking is the easiest thing for a young lineman to do. IMO, we HAVE to commit to running the ball before "taking shots" is going to work. I don't care if it's 3 yards and a cloud of dust. Then you've got a shot with a 3rd and 4. Our QB can NOT deliver an accurate pass and opposing defenses know that. We HAVE to run the ball first. Our run pass ration should be more like 20-25 pass and 50 runs. Instead I think we only had 29 RB carries in that game. Most of Martinez's runs were scrambles due to pressure and sacks. That has to change.

Run blocking is the easiest thing for a young lineman to do. IMO, we HAVE to commit to running the ball before "taking shots" is going to work. I don't care if it's 3 yards and a cloud of dust. Then you've got a shot with a 3rd and 4. Our QB can NOT deliver an accurate pass and opposing defenses know that. We HAVE to run the ball first. Our run pass ration should be more like 20-25 pass and 50 runs. Instead I think we only had 29 RB carries in that game. Most of Martinez's runs were scrambles due to pressure and sacks. That has to change.
So do you think the score and clock had anything to do with the run-pass ratio? It wasn't long into the 3rd Qtr & we were down 21 points. Looking at the Play-by-Play, we had the ball for 3 plays in between their two 3rd Qtr touchdown drives. At that point, there was 4 minutes left in the 3rd Qtr and Adrian takes it 75 on a scramble. The next drive, we had 10 plays, 4 of them running plays, 5 passing plays, a sack & 2 penalties. 4 of the 5 passing plays were completions for 18, 24, 28, & 10 yards. The penalties killed that drive. Passing wasn't really the problem there, nor was the run. At this point there's 13 minutes left in the game & we're still down 14 points. We force IL to punt & get the ball back at our 9. We put together a 19 play drive. 11 running plays, 7 passes and who knows what the bad snap was going to be. 6 of the 7 passing plays were completions for 9, 7, 16, 9, 5 & 4 yards (TD). So on those 2 drives, we ran the ball 15 of 29 plays and completed 10 of 12 passes (83%) for 130 yards. The 19 plays was entirely too long as there's now 2:41 left in the game. Where should we have run the damned ball instead of passing?

The running game needs to set up the pass. Everyone knows that, especially the coaches. It needs to happen in the 1st half, get a lead & then we can pound it the 2nd half. It didn't happen in the 1st half & AM's fumble, along with the roughing penalty, changed the course of the game. I really don't see where we could have done things differently in the 2nd half. If we don't have the holding call & offensive pass interference, along with the bad snap - you might be right. But as it turned out, I think we did what should have been done. Running the damned ball in that situation doesn't get us closer to a victory.

… and despite the sub-par showing on OL, the game was also lost on the inexcusable safety, the inexcusable taunting penalty, the inexcusable Martinez fumble, missing 2 PAT’s and inability to punt the ball properly multiple times.
3 of 5 listed issues were special teams, the reported “emphasis” all off-season.
2 of 5 listed issues were inexplicable errors from veteran captains.
… but this thread was still about OL performance. sigh.
team sport

Reactions: HominidHusker
So do you think the score and clock had anything to do with the run-pass ratio? It wasn't long into the 3rd Qtr & we were down 21 points. Looking at the Play-by-Play, we had the ball for 3 plays in between their two 3rd Qtr touchdown drives. At that point, there was 4 minutes left in the 3rd Qtr and Adrian takes it 75 on a scramble. The next drive, we had 10 plays, 4 of them running plays, 5 passing plays, a sack & 2 penalties. 4 of the 5 passing plays were completions for 18, 24, 28, & 10 yards. The penalties killed that drive. Passing wasn't really the problem there, nor was the run. At this point there's 13 minutes left in the game & we're still down 14 points. We force IL to punt & get the ball back at our 9. We put together a 19 play drive. 11 running plays, 7 passes and who knows what the bad snap was going to be. 6 of the 7 passing plays were completions for 9, 7, 16, 9, 5 & 4 yards (TD). So on those 2 drives, we ran the ball 15 of 29 plays and completed 10 of 12 passes (83%) for 130 yards. The 19 plays was entirely too long as there's now 2:41 left in the game. Where should we have run the damned ball instead of passing?

The running game needs to set up the pass. Everyone knows that, especially the coaches. It needs to happen in the 1st half, get a lead & then we can pound it the 2nd half. It didn't happen in the 1st half & AM's fumble, along with the roughing penalty, changed the course of the game. I really don't see where we could have done things differently in the 2nd half. If we don't have the holding call & offensive pass interference, along with the bad snap - you might be right. But as it turned out, I think we did what should have been done. Running the damned ball in that situation doesn't get us closer to a victory.
We abandoned the run at the start of the 2nd quarter when we still had the lead. I think Lubick looked at what the D was willing to give us and thought we should try to take advantage of that. The problem was that IMO Illinois had us scouted and were well prepared. With the TV views you really can't see the field very well but it appeared to me that for much of the game it was taking too long for our guys to get open and AMart is not a QB who can throw a guy open. He waits until they have a step and then throws it which given his inaccuracy probably isn't a bad thing.

IF we could protect a second longer maybe he could get comfortable but he's not a guy who takes hits and responds well to it. He's not Zac Taylor. He needs to be in a run first offense. I am NOT against a pass first offense but damn when you're struggling to protect your QB and you're struggling to complete passes you HAVE to run the ball. I don't care if RB carries are only getting you 3 yards per attempt.

So who do you blame the OL on? This again is lack of player development. Here are your starters. How many Power 5 programs start that much youth in the OL? How do you not have a couple seniors or even juniors that are ready to go in year 4? This is by far the worst offensive coaching staff in Power 5 football. I dont want to hear the bullshit culture problems. Frost is the culture problem.

Frehsman
RS Freshman
RS Sophomote
RS Jr
RS Freshman

the ol look like the keystone cops. any wrinkle thrown at them and they just fall to pieces. reminds me of that old song by patsy cline

So who do you blame the OL on? This again is lack of player development. Here are your starters. How many Power 5 programs start that much youth in the OL? How do you not have a couple seniors or even juniors that are ready to go in year 4? This is by far the worst offensive coaching staff in Power 5 football. I dont want to hear the bullshit culture problems. Frost is the culture problem.

Frehsman
RS Freshman
RS Sophomote
RS Jr
RS Freshman
Let's see where these guys are at when we play OU. I'm not very optimistic about that but I've heard several NFL linemen that it takes a couple of games for an Oline to gel. Bielema had all summer to prepare for NU and he knew exactly what we were going to try to do and his DC abused our O line and QB. Then we just gave them the game with stupid individual mistakes. Our O line didn't make Adrian hang that ball out there to get knocked loose. Our O line didn't cause the "offensive interference" call on that long play. Our O line didn't cause Tannor to drive that QB in to the turf on the interception. That was a 14 point swing. Yeah they could have been better and they sure didn't look well prepared but we still win easily without some of the inexplicably dumb plays.

Let's see where these guys are at when we play OU. I'm not very optimistic about that but I've heard several NFL linemen that it takes a couple of games for an Oline to gel. Bielema had all summer to prepare for NU and he knew exactly what we were going to try to do and his DC abused our O line and QB. Then we just gave them the game with stupid individual mistakes. Our O line didn't make Adrian hang that ball out there to get knocked loose. Our O line didn't cause the "offensive interference" call on that long play. Our O line didn't cause Tannor to drive that QB in to the turf on the interception. That was a 14 point swing. Yeah they could have been better and they sure didn't look well prepared but we still win easily without some of the inexplicably dumb plays.
AM was running from the very beginning. 26 out of 44 times he was pressured. Thats on nobody but the OLine. Again Im not baghing the players. OLine is probably the hardest position to play as a younger player. But our pathetic coaching staff hasn't gotten anybody prepared. Didn't go out and find a couple jucos or portal players to benefit the OLine position but hey lets have 12 per year transfer out of our program.

AM was running from the very beginning. 26 out of 44 times he was pressured. Thats on nobody but the OLine. Again Im not baghing the players. OLine is probably the hardest position to play as a younger player. But our pathetic coaching staff hasn't gotten anybody prepared. Didn't go out and find a couple jucos or portal players to benefit the OLine position but hey lets have 12 per year transfer out of our program.
I agree that our O line appeared poorly prepared but damn it you can't drop Adrian back 30-40 times and expect anything different. They dared us to throw the ball. They wanted him to have to try to win the game with his arm.

I guarantee you that if they thought there was a portal O linemen out there that could help they would have been on him like stink on dog shtuff. Not many B1G starter caliber O linemen are transferring to a team with 4 losing seasons in a row.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
The real question is why we're having Martinez drop back 44 times? Stupid. Run the damned ball until your QB can prove he can complete a 10 yard pass to a WIDE open receiver.
Yeah, one of bigger problems I’ve witnessed the last couple years is how few of our passing completions are 1. quick throws and 2. hitting moving targets in stride.
A couple of our better plays against IL were those rare circumstances of quick, decisive throws hitting a WR in stride.
While it’s part of the game, we too often are only hitting stationary targets or improvising on broken down plays.
I want some kfc extra crispy, cus we’re hungry!

We’ll be toast this year if we can’t get the running game off the ground.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT