ADVERTISEMENT

Offensive Game Plan - is this normal?

JabroniBlvd

Sophomore
Nov 5, 2005
I always found it interesting that Frost has always mentioned he basically draws up the whole game plan during the week of practice on who they are playing. I get maybe you come up with an opening play or drive, but the whole game basically? I wonder how many other OC do this...I feel this is a major flaw and why we see we don't make adjustments during the game and when sh*t hits the fan it looks 5x worse. You run plays on what your team is comfortable with and you run plays based off of what the defense is doing to you.

Not to mention we play kids at random times where it just doesn't make sense - and we have done this the past 3 years. Why is Betts not playing? And Liewer is...dumb. Why do we randomly throw in Johnson at RB in the 4th quarter? Why?!!?

Reactions: BleedRed78
I always found it interesting that Frost has always mentioned he basically draws up the whole game plan during the week of practice on who they are playing. I get maybe you come up with an opening play or drive, but the whole game basically? I wonder how many other OC do this...I feel this is a major flaw and why we see we don't make adjustments during the game and when sh*t hits the fan it looks 5x worse. You run plays on what your team is comfortable with and you run plays based off of what the defense is doing to you.

Not to mention we play kids at random times where it just doesn't make sense - and we have done this the past 3 years. Why is Betts not playing? And Liewer is...dumb. Why do we randomly throw in Johnson at RB in the 4th quarter? Why?!!?
I think you misunderstand what a game plan means

Take what the defense gives you. Hard to do that when the games scripted. It's bs like that that'd make me take Briles in a heartbeat, moral issues aside

I think you misunderstand what a game plan means

Diff between game plan and having your whole offensive play set basically drawn up going into the game. That's what I was getting at. Makes no sense and explains a lot over the past 3 years when coming to adjustments.

Not defending Frost but really guys, have you ever seen a football game plan? I admit to not seeing a D1 game plan but I have seen others. Every HS coach has a "game plan" of who you want to attack, how, where on the field, down and distance plays based on what the other team does, it goes on and on.

I know most probably don't read these things but this link is pretty good. There is a film study of Joe Morrehead when he was at Penn State and what they did with Barkley. It really shows how you set a team up and use your best players to get mismatches. I especially like the comment in the article that says roughly men think they can do two things, grill and game plan for football. https://www.stateoftheu.com/2018/7/...epare-their-game-plan-thomas-brown-mark-richt

Not defending Frost but really guys, have you ever seen a football game plan? I admit to not seeing a D1 game plan but I have seen others. Every HS coach has a "game plan" of who you want to attack, how, where on the field, down and distance plays based on what the other team does, it goes on and on.

I know most probably don't read these things but this link is pretty good. There is a film study of Joe Morrehead when he was at Penn State and what they did with Barkley. It really shows how you set a team up and use your best players to get mismatches. I especially like the comment in the article that says roughly men think they can do two things, grill and game plan for football. https://www.stateoftheu.com/2018/7/...epare-their-game-plan-thomas-brown-mark-richt

Man, the idiocy is thick in this thread! You are exactly right Tru, EVERY coaching staff has a game plan for the entire game. People are either intentionally ignorant or have an agenda to bitch about everything. The “blue hairs” that people complain about are more knowledgeable about the game than most people posting on this board. I understand being frustrated with how things are going but do yourselves a favor and learn about the game before posting.

Reactions: WHCSC
the problem is frost's game plans amount to toilet paper
especially when they have martinez's arm on them

Probably they went with Johnson because he is the fastest RB. At least among the top 5.

I EXPECT the head coach to come up with"the game plan". In TOs case he was also the OC. IF you're the HC and not the OC, you tell the OC here's my game plan and you come up with the plays that fit the plan. HC usually has veto power on gameday. After all he's getting the big bucks.

Exactly. We actually did get receivers in mismatches and got them open. The problem is our QB missed them. Our lack of carries for our running backs was inexcusable. You don't give up using your backs 2 minutes in to the 2nd quarter. My expectation was that Frost's "game plan" didn't call for zero RB runs for almost 2 straight quarters. Either or he or Lubick needs to answer why that happened then they should be docked 1/12th of their salaries for the year.

Exactly. We actually did get receivers in mismatches and got them open. The problem is our QB missed them. Our lack of carries for our running backs was inexcusable. You don't give up using your backs 2 minutes in to the 2nd quarter. My expectation was that Frost's "game plan" didn't call for zero RB runs for almost 2 straight quarters. Either or he or Lubick needs to answer why that happened then they should be docked 1/12th of their salaries for the year.
This is thought provoking. Frost's philosophy is to play fast on offense and score quickly, which would drive his play calling decisions. He's basically impatient. With that, he rarely develops a rhythm within a drive. The offense makes a positive play of seven or eight yards on first down, and then we fall apart and find ourselves in 3rd and long. Because he is focused on passing with a quarterback who is bad at it, the run game is an afterthought. Man how I would love to develop an offensive line that attacked a defense. Make a living on smash mouth. Pass blocking for an inaccurate quarterback with a poor feel for the game is a disaster waiting to happen. They can't hold up long enough and he holds the ball too long when they do. How many times will we repeat this insanity?

ADVERTISEMENT