ADVERTISEMENT

Offense Frost will run?

he'll run the plays that work and not run the plays that don't.

He’s going to run the same offense that was used at UCF which is similar to the offense used at Oregon under Chip Kelly..

I believe that Frost will continue to employ an Oregon based offense and this offense will evolve to ensure greater probability of success against B1G defenses.

Last edited:
Reactions: zrob
He secretly plans to have Langsdorf come in for Spring practice and teach him how to run that Riley-style offense. Winking

Reactions: bigredhunter
I hear the pro set, it has been very popular lately. :(

Come on brotha...he has to run an offense that fits our talent, it will probably take Martinez a couple years to get the proper S&C and be ready to roll. Plus side is we will have had Gebbia and OBrein with 2 plus solid years of college S&C. They will have some adjustments to make to what Frost wants out of them but I know Frost will taylor his offense around which ever QB wins the battle this summer. My guess is like the other poster, it will be Gebbia and that’s not a bad QB to have running our offense. The young man has already shown he will be a film room junkie and will work his but off the be the best. But we will see Frosts baby (offense system) in full bore once Martinez is rolling after Gebbia is done. Just my opinion and guess.

Reactions: saluno22
Word on O street is they have been doing research on the Veer.. take this info with a grain of salt

Come on brotha...he has to run an offense that fits our talent, it will probably take Martinez a couple years to get the proper S&C and be ready to roll. Plus side is we will have had Gebbia and OBrein with 2 plus solid years of college S&C. They will have some adjustments to make to what Frost wants out of them but I know Frost will taylor his offense around which ever QB wins the battle this summer. My guess is like the other poster, it will be Gebbia and that’s not a bad QB to have running our offense. The young man has already shown he will be a film room junkie and will work his but off the be the best. But we will see Frosts baby (offense system) in full bore once Martinez is rolling after Gebbia is done. Just my opinion and guess.

There has been a lot of tongue-in-cheek in this thread. Are you serious?

There has been a lot of tongue-in-cheek in this thread. Are you serious?

Nope I was completely joking. And talking out my butt ;)

But unlike some on here I’m NOT giving up on A QB like Gebbia. We don’t have to have a lighting bolt at QB. We needs a QB with brains, can read defenses and make the throws and adjustments. And what I went off of is what I read in reports on gebbia. So no matter what YOU WANT to believe, I wasn’t just blowing smoke.

Reactions: TwinsRRUs
And Adrian Martinez isn’t exactly 200 plus pounds either. One has been in high school and the other has been in college D1 S&C for a solid year now.

http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=100&ATCLID=211690427

That link says otherwise... It has Martinez listed at 205..

http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=100&ATCLID=211447094

Gebbia is listed at 185 in his bio..

I'm not arguing a case for any particular QB here. I just don't see Gebbia as some ready to roll type QB who is D1 conditioned that others see him as. He'll be just as green as the rest of the pack. The good news is that whoever comes out on top will likely offer us a 3-4 year started at QB.

Reactions: huskerssalts
2 solid years of S&C? Duval has not been here that long.

IMO what he's gonna run is based on an interview he did with JS a few weeks back when he said about what the team look like. Frost said "it will look very familiar to Husker Nation if we can get it we can get it done." I believe what will be run as far as the offense goes is, Frost will utilize Osborne's ground game as he still know's it like the back of his hand with his spread attack on top of it and who better to marry the 2 together as to say than Frost. The offense will look a bit different than the one people saw at UCF. Hell even Osborne said a year after he retired that had he not retired, he was going to switch to a spread option game. Frost did implement a little of Osborne's running and option at UCF. I however believe we will see the whole ball of wax here and If this come to fruition, this offense will truly be unstoppable. This will take awhile to implement, it won't happen overnight. Something I heard the other day, is they are once again gonna keep track of and record Pancake Blocks.

Last edited:
Spread, Speed, RPO, Running backs in space, RB heavy if you can read into both Frost and Held's inteviews/pressers yesterday.

Nope I was completely joking. And talking out my butt ;)

But unlike some on here I’m NOT giving up on A QB like Gebbia. We don’t have to have a lighting bolt at QB. We needs a QB with brains, can read defenses and make the throws and adjustments. And what I went off of is what I read in reports on gebbia. So no matter what YOU WANT to believe, I wasn’t just blowing smoke.

What college coach doesn't want a player with brains, reads defenses, and make throws and adjustments?

It doesn't matter what "I" want, it is what Scott wants. Everything points to him running primarily the same spread look as he did at UCF. Have your heard him or Walters say anything differently? When he commented on the players he just signed he commented on their ability to fit within spread system.

I happen to really like Gebbia. Show me where I said otherwise.

Also show me where Tom said he was going to the spread. He retired in 97, the spread started to become popular in the mid 80's.

And referring to your original post, it seems that you think Frost has to change is O to adapt to the current players. Why can't players adapt to his O?

Reactions: huskerssalts
Also show me where Tom said he was going to the spread. He retired in 97, the spread started to become popular in the mid 80's.

I think you are right about this
However I did watch an interview with TO- when asked about the type of offense he would run now (this was 5-6 years ago) he stated a "spread option"

Note that in his last couple of seasons he ran a lot more one back sets. Still lots of 2 back sets- but more 1 back sets than he had in years past.
Plus he did some additional designed QB runs that he didnt have in his playbook previously that last 97 season. TO would have figured out a way to win.

I forget where I read or saw this, but he has developed an offensive philosophy that uses the TO "one play from several formations" but in the spread system under Kelly. He will use pulling lineman from multiple sets for the screen and sweep plays. All lineman will be required to pull. For all you O-Line junkies out there, you will have fun watching the game. I watched several videos on this. The SF sytem is unique to him, but is a devilish combination of TO and Kelly. It is not unusual to have over 40 players participate in a game with no one RB getting more than 30% of the carries. No one in FBS runs his style of offense.

Reactions: davecisar
A word on the Frost offense:

After reading up about it, it definitely has its base in Chip Kelly's theories of attack, but there are other things about it that remind one of Osborne and other strategies.

From what I gathered, what made Osborne's offenses so good is a combination of the following:

1.) Great athletes.
2.) The Option attack was, for a very long time, hard to defend effectively.
3.) Osborne would also "test" defenses by doing screens and long bomb passes every couple of downs just to completely keep a D on its heels. (This was what they did to Miami and Florida in the NC games very, very effectively). Only a very, very fast defense that could react to change quickly could stop it.

Similarly, Frost takes Kelly's idea of basically always having the QB in the shotgun, and then "testing" the D by attacking in a variety of ways until a weakness is spotted, and then exploited. To wit:

"His offense at UCF is made up of mostly the same concepts (as Kelly's): zone read, pin and pull sweeps and power. However, Frost has evolved it by making it tougher for defenses to key on what they’re doing with pre-snap movements, run/pass options and key-breaking concepts that don’t allow the defense to get mentally settled."

So, it takes Kelly's speed and simplicity idea and further enriches it with a variety of methods of attack.

Basically, unless you have tons of talent, speed, intelligence, and a very, very good defensive staff, this offense is very hard to slow down. You don't really attack it, it attacks you where you suck most.

Anybody out there know what kind of offense Frost plans to run at Nebraska? I hope he brings back the power option attack.
I am guessing he will start out the same he ran at UCF. I am guessing he will have to adapt a bit. Maybe more of a run first mentality.

A word on the Frost offense:

After reading up about it, it definitely has its base in Chip Kelly's theories of attack, but there are other things about it that remind one of Osborne and other strategies.

From what I gathered, what made Osborne's offenses so good is a combination of the following:

1.) Great athletes.
2.) The Option attack was, for a very long time, hard to defend effectively.
3.) Osborne would also "test" defenses by doing screens and long bomb passes every couple of downs just to completely keep a D on its heels. (This was what they did to Miami and Florida in the NC games very, very effectively). Only a very, very fast defense that could react to change quickly could stop it.

Similarly, Frost takes Kelly's idea of basically always having the QB in the shotgun, and then "testing" the D by attacking in a variety of ways until a weakness is spotted, and then exploited. To wit:

"His offense at UCF is made up of mostly the same concepts (as Kelly's): zone read, pin and pull sweeps and power. However, Frost has evolved it by making it tougher for defenses to key on what they’re doing with pre-snap movements, run/pass options and key-breaking concepts that don’t allow the defense to get mentally settled."

So, it takes Kelly's speed and simplicity idea and further enriches it with a variety of methods of attack.

Basically, unless you have tons of talent, speed, intelligence, and a very, very good defensive staff, this offense is very hard to slow down. You don't really attack it, it attacks you where you suck most.
The QB is not gonna be in the shotgun 100% of the time. It will be a combination of Osborne's Option attack coupled with a furious passing attack period. In this conference, it has to be that way, however we will still be attacking defense's weakness's relentlessly. Frost has eliminated the deficiencies and weaknesses of Kelly's Offense.

The QB is not gonna be in the shotgun 100% of the time. It will be a combination of Osborne's Option attack coupled with a furious passing attack period. In this conference, it has to be that way, however we will still be attacking defense's weakness's relentlessly. Frost has eliminated the deficiencies and weaknesses of Kelly's Offense.

I said basically always, which leaves room for variation, because it's at base a zone-read offense, isn't it?

You’re dreaming if you think they wont be in a the shotgun 100% of the time or close to..

I said basically always, which leaves room for variation, because it's at base a zone-read offense, isn't it?

In this conference it has to be that way he says...

Maybe Ohio State who runs nothing but shotgun formations should be enlightened..

In this conference it has to be that way he says...

Maybe Ohio State who runs nothing but shotgun formations should be enlightened..
JT Barrett lined up under center as well as in the shotgun. Go watch some of his games and most definately wasn't in the shotgun the whole time in the bowl game or against Wisconsin.

JT Barrett lined up under center as well as in the shotgun. Go watch some of his games and most definately wasn't in the shotgun the whole time in the bowl game or against Wisconsin.

There was a tweet back in jan. from Matt Miller saying it’s wierd seeing Barrett under center. Used or not stuff like that is a rarity in a spread offense.

Can you share with us how you know all of this? Have you been in meetings with Coaches Frost and Walters? How do you couple a full blown option game and a "furious" passing attack together? Now if you are talking the occasional option like UCF ran this year, OK but I don't really call that an option attack, more like a change up to what they are doing with the spread.

The QB must be able to run for the offense to be efficient. So just being a good passer does not help this offense be at its optimal level.

Per Scott Frost.

Reactions: davecisar
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT