ADVERTISEMENT

Of the players who have gone into the portal so far...

rgrachek

Athletic Director
Gold Member
Dec 2, 2004
How many actually are transferring because they think we suck and they can play for a better team.

Maybe Haussman, but the rest of them seem to be kids who either will never play here, want to give up football, or got injured and probably will never be the same (i.e. the WR guys who are leaving).

I hope Hausmann's just looking to get paid, and we can get him some NIL. Somebody gotta take Decoldest Crawford's spot on them SOS commercials.

Not sure about the current crew, but seems plenty of kids seem to get homesick. When you’re on the bench for a losing team, I get it. But I’m also going to call some of them soft for thinking they could handle living in another state and finding out they miss their mom too much. Nothing wrong with missing mom, but figure it out before you sign.

The above is specifically referencing the crew of Florida talent, many of whom returned back to their homeland after barely giving themselves a chance here.

Reactions: king_kong_
Not sure about the current crew, but seems plenty of kids seem to get homesick. When you’re on the bench for a losing team, I get it. But I’m also going to call some of them soft for thinking they could handle living in another state and finding out they miss their mom too much. Nothing wrong with missing mom, but figure it out before you sign.

The above is specifically referencing the crew of Florida talent, many of whom returned back to their homeland after barely giving themselves a chance here.
They can’t figure homesickness out before they sign & move away because they have never had to deal with it before and they don’t fully (or even partially) understand what’s about to hit them in the face the first year being away from home. Unfortunately, it has to be experienced and worked through. Not limited to athletes, most freshman just have to get through it……and it’s often not easy. They are still kids…..

They can’t figure homesickness out before they sign & move away because they have never had to deal with it before and they don’t fully (or even partially) understand what’s about to hit them in the face the first year being away from home. Unfortunately, it has to be experienced and worked through. Not limited to athletes, most freshman just have to get through it……and it’s often not easy. They are still kids…..
Yeah, I was partially just being a jerk.
Some of it is on coaches to properly vet kids (e.g. maturity) and make sure they understand what they’re signing up for. Coaches/staff/teammates also need to work hard to make each player feel comfortable in their new home.

After that, I do expect kids to work through some of the difficulties that may come from being away from home. That’s part of the process and of growing up. Kids do need to learn some semblance of commitment (slippery slope I get it).

That being said, it is what it is.
The last piece is to balance recruiting to find and keep as many regional kids in hopes of limiting that type of attrition.

How many actually are transferring because they think we suck and they can play for a better team.

Maybe Haussman, but the rest of them seem to be kids who either will never play here, want to give up football, or got injured and probably will never be the same (i.e. the WR guys who are leaving).
I don’t think that’s the deal with Hausmann.

I have two of my former players that are playing for the Huskers and you sort of nailed it,

One is almost done, loved the perks (partying, girls, working out, connections) and never plays, since h has on year left he is just going to enjoy it and make memories.

The other hates it, knows he will never play, wants to just be a regular college kid with regular college friends and free time, not home sick, just sick of football.

Solid question.

The idea of a kid transferring from Nebraska and hoping to get picked up by Chadron St is a big kick in the nuts of reality.

Absolutely 100% true. My oldest is finishing his 1st semester of college tomorrow and he's run the gauntlet of freshman challenges. I'm just happy he's made the adjustment and seems to be back to being himself and still playing baseball. There's just no way for the average kid to prepare themselves and you don't know until they do it how it will go.

Absolutely 100% true. My oldest is finishing his 1st semester of college tomorrow and he's run the gauntlet of freshman challenges. I'm just happy he's made the adjustment and seems to be back to being himself and still playing baseball. There's just no way for the average kid to prepare themselves and you don't know until they do it how it will go.
Same story here too. Mine’s a freshman baseball player as well. This fall we battled homesickness, panic attacks (medically diagnosed not just embellishing), vomiting, weight loss, depression, regular counseling and lots of tears. First month was a bear. He hung in there, adjusted and is doing great and added a few mph to his fastball. Pulled a 4.0 this semester and on the way home for break……but it felt “touch-n-go” that first month!

Dorm life, bad food, venerial disease, bar fight, car towed, public intoxication, jail...... you gotta run the guantlet.
I dunno about the bad food. When I lived in the dorm in the 70s yes, it was like the cafeteria in Animal House where you went through the line and had two choices like meatloaf or pork cutlet. But I ate at the Cather/Pound cafeteria shortly before they were torn down and yazzer, killer salad bar, Italian bar, Asian bar, awesome deserts....no wonder college has gotten so expensive.

Same story here too. Mine’s a freshman baseball player as well. This fall we battled homesickness, panic attacks (medically diagnosed not just embellishing), vomiting, weight loss, depression, regular counseling and lots of tears. First month was a bear. He hung in there, adjusted and is doing great and added a few mph to his fastball. Pulled a 4.0 this semester and on the way home for break……but it felt “touch-n-go” that first month!
God bless ya, it's hard to watch as a parent! Kudos to your son for sticking with it.

Reactions: cavalot and 93sker
Dorm life, bad food, venerial disease, bar fight, car towed, public intoxication, jail...... you gotta run the guantlet.
You haven't been to college in a while I can tell. Dorms are like palaces now at many universities and dorm food is like a 24 hour a day Golden Coral. Bar fights and public intoxication are some of the best things in college.

Hardest years of parenting were my kids's college years. 2 more to go. Hoping that experience will help me to help them in a better way.

Reactions: mgbreis
Hear that. I have a daughter leaving to play D1 softball. Worried about that. As I said in another post the college years have been the toughest parenting years.

Hear that. I have a daughter leaving to play D1 softball. Worried about that. As I said in another post the college years have been the toughest parenting years.
As a parent, when your college kids are dealing with adult-level issues, it sure puts into perspective the things you worried about when they were little - like which sports team they got on, what position they played, how much they played.

Reactions: cavalot and mgbreis
Damn, wish homesickness worked for us that were in the military. I graduated in May of 1981, five days after graduation I was on my way to basic training and then an assignment in England for two years, you dealt with it and moved on. I had many times of being homesick but you find things to do. A short call back to the states would set you back a pretty penny so you only did that once a month. Today with facetime and all the technology I find it hard to believe its that big of an issue. Maybe I'm just callus to all this coddling.

Damn, wish homesickness worked for us that were in the military. I graduated in May of 1981, five days after graduation I was on my way to basic training and then an assignment in England for two years, you dealt with it and moved on. I had many times of being homesick but you find things to do. A short call back to the states would set you back a pretty penny so you only did that once a month. Today with facetime and all the technology I find it hard to believe its that big of an issue. Maybe I'm just callus to all this coddling.
It might now.

Reactions: wkato
I got off a ship at the Navy pier in Guam after being to sea many days. The USO had a shed at the end of the pier and I paid $10, which was a lot of money at the time to call home for 3 minutes. I had forgotten about that until i read your story.

Reactions: wkato and mgbreis
Really? Why is that?
Each of my older kids had their struggles. Whether it be new found freedom, juggling time, classes, and work. Two of my girls worked full time and went to school to make ends meet which was difficult when many of their friends were partying and living care free lives. But I think the biggest issue was social media and it's effects on self esteem and self image. My girls especially struggled with body changes, anxiety, depression and.. the fear of missing out (fomo) that kids run into when they follow people their age who are traveling the world, and living seemingly perfect lives.

I just know that there were a lot less distractions and stresses when I grew up in the early 90's. Social media is hell.

My son. LOL that was an adventure in itself. Let's just say that he will have some crazy stories to tell his grandchildren.

Each of my older kids had their struggles. Whether it be new found freedom, juggling time, classes, and work. Two of my girls worked full time and went to school to make ends meet which was difficult when many of their friends were partying and living care free lives. But I think the biggest issue was social media and it's effects on self esteem and self image. My girls especially struggled with body changes, anxiety, depression and.. the fear of missing out (fomo) that kids run into when they follow people their age who are traveling the world, and living seemingly perfect lives.

I just know that there were a lot less distractions and stresses when I grew up in the early 90's. Social media is hell.

My son. LOL that was an adventure in itself. Let's just say that he will have some crazy stories to tell his grandchildren.
That's kinda what I thought. I struggle to find anything remotely redeemable about social media. Even this place.

We had some issues with our daughter as well. However, it was much more stressful on my wife than me. It was tough for her to not try to fix things.

I knew my daughter was just gonna have to learn things the hard way when she told me she just wants to make her own mistakes in life.

Reactions: cavalot and mgbreis
I'm sure we all know people that use social media to present the picture that their life is perfect when obviously its not, and they apparently don't recognize the problem they are contributing to with their actions. There are too many teens and young adults (even some grown adults) have a tough time understanding that these social media personas are not real and everyone is dealing with their own challenges and struggles in life. I'm glad I'm old enough to know that you can live your life without social media.

Reactions: cavalot
I dunno about the bad food. When I lived in the dorm in the 70s yes, it was like the cafeteria in Animal House where you went through the line and had two choices like meatloaf or pork cutlet. But I ate at the Cather/Pound cafeteria shortly before they were torn down and yazzer, killer salad bar, Italian bar, Asian bar, awesome deserts....no wonder college has gotten so expensive.
Ditto, the food service at most colleges is really good now, better than a lot of restaurants.

The down side is that for the academic year it's outrageously expensive. At UGA, for the meal plan for 2 semesters, it's almost $4,600!

My first year in college in 1978 cost $3,200. That was for room and board, tuition and fees, books and supplies, parking, and spending money. Now, the annual cost is around $30,000 all in. Just as a comparison, my cost inflated to 2022 is $14,600. College, adjusted for inflation, costs about double what it did when I started college!

Wow, I feel for you guys and what you are having to go through. It’s really nice when your daughter starts dating a boy at 17 and gets engaged to that young man at 20 years of age. My daughter just turned 21 in October and because she’s been with her fiancé since high school, her college years have been very uneventful.

Ditto, the food service at most colleges is really good now, better than a lot of restaurants.

The down side is that for the academic year it's outrageously expensive. At UGA, for the meal plan for 2 semesters, it's almost $4,600!

My first year in college in 1978 cost $3,200. That was for room and board, tuition and fees, books and supplies, parking, and spending money. Now, the annual cost is around $30,000 all in. Just as a comparison, my cost inflated to 2022 is $14,600. College, adjusted for inflation, costs about double what it did when I started college!
College is pretty crazy expense wise, my biggest piece of advice to parents who have kids in high school or soon to be in high school would be to validate that your school has some sort of dual-enrollment or concurrent enrollment program with a local college -- and get to know that program by heart. My kids really weren't aware of the program, almost by dumb luck, they had 23 and 17 college credits respectively when showing up on campus for the first day. All their credits transferred, no issues whatsoever - in today's environment, those credits are easily worth five figures. If I had known about that program and really understood how it worked, my kids would have had their AA degree out of the way prior to their first day on campus.

Wow, I feel for you guys and what you are having to go through. It’s really nice when your daughter starts dating a boy at 17 and gets engaged to that young man at 20 years of age. My daughter just turned 21 in October and because she’s been with her fiancé since high school, her college years have been very uneventful.
Well, I don't mean to make it sound like I need sympathy or anything. My kids are doing ok. Just a lot of unexpected bumps in the road after fairly uneventful HS years.

My wife and I were the same as your daughter. So it was hard for me to rationalize my kids's college years.

That's kinda what I thought. I struggle to find anything remotely redeemable about social media. Even this place.

We had some issues with our daughter as well. However, it was much more stressful on my wife than me. It was tough for her to not try to fix things.

I knew my daughter was just gonna have to learn things the hard way when she told me she just wants to make her own mistakes in life.
As parents its easy to try to take some blame for their mistakes. I look back and can recognize that we could have maybe made a change here or there. But in the end they simply have to learn and move on. Those trials and tribulations have made them stronger. Just hard as a parent to watch them stumble and fall to the extent that they sometimes do.

My biggest mistake with my first two was trusting that they could make big decisions right out of HS and not keeping tabs more closely on them. From grades to student loans. I was much more diligent with the third.

4th and 5th have watched it all so I feel like we are all on better ground right now.

Reactions: JOHNNY N
Don’t know if it helps or if it was a good idea….but I told both my boys they would be homesick before they ever left. Nothing to with missing the house, myself or wife or anything about us.

It’s really about having their entire network disrupted (blown up really). Friends, routines etc are all gone and none of that changes whether they’re 1,000 miles from home or they’re living in in the basement (not a real option at my house fwiw)…..their friends scatter all over the country and wouldn’t be here anyhow.

At least they knew what to expect, are not surprised and can deal with it and move on with a rational thought (which can be scarce when it hits).

My .02

Ummmm. I had a 15 year old rebellious ADD kid whose mom thought it was a good idea to send to Australia for a month on an exchange trip. Came home with liquor and drug paraphernalia souvenirs from his host families. The next 3 years were a nightmare. College was a breeze. He didn’t get homesick and somehow he graduated with an engineering degree. Never saw a single grade but he had to keep his grades up to be able to play hockey for the NU team. They play at the D2 level.

Last edited:
Reactions: cavalot
Certainly interesting to read about these experiences some of you have had with sending your kids off to school. My oldest is graduating in May and will be choosing between Nebraska and Iowa State. She’s a 4.0 student, taken 2 semesters of dual enrollment classes and has a ACT score of 29 with results pending on her final try. 6 months ago I could barely get a response from her about going to Nebraska as she was certain that everything she needed was at ISU. It’s beginning to dawn on her now that she will know almost no one in Ames her 1st semester and even though she will have have numerous family members within an hours drive she will know her closest friends will see each other daily when they start their journey at Nebraska. Stay tuned and wish us luck.

Certainly interesting to read about these experiences some of you have had with sending your kids off to school. My oldest is graduating in May and will be choosing between Nebraska and Iowa State. She’s a 4.0 student, taken 2 semesters of dual enrollment classes and has a ACT score of 29 with results pending on her final try. 6 months ago I could barely get a response from her about going to Nebraska as she was certain that everything she needed was at ISU. It’s beginning to dawn on her now that she will know almost no one in Ames her 1st semester and even though she will have have numerous family members within an hours drive she will know her closest friends will see each other daily when they start their journey at Nebraska. Stay tuned and wish us luck.
My oldest spent 3 days at ISU and then called home sayin “This doesn’t feel right”. He had a Great scholarship at NU and was still registered there so we found him a spot in a frat and told him to pack his bags and come home. They make new friends very quickly.

Last edited:

Hausmann is severely confused! Had it made in Lincoln.

Don’t know if it helps or if it was a good idea….but I told both my boys they would be homesick before they ever left. Nothing to with missing the house, myself or wife or anything about us.

It’s really about having their entire network disrupted (blown up really). Friends, routines etc are all gone and none of that changes whether they’re 1,000 miles from home or they’re living in in the basement (not a real option at my house fwiw)…..their friends scatter all over the country and wouldn’t be here anyhow.

At least they knew what to expect, are not surprised and can deal with it and move on with a rational thought (which can be scarce when it hits).

My .02
I agree. The thing that will be different for this kid compared to my others, is that she will be associated with a team that will have several girls on it that she is currently team mates with in the summer. I think belonging to something is important. My others didn't have that and I think that makes the transition difficult too.

When your only option is the one you have with no backing out, a person adjusts pretty quickly.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT