ADVERTISEMENT

Odds the season isn't cancelled

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good for you.

I’m not selfish but I also don’t like the government dictating what I can and cannot due and when I want to. It my freaking choice!!!!

saying “it (sic) my freaking choice” is what’s selfish. Wearing a mask isn’t about you. The government shouldn’t have to tell you what to do. You should be willing to do it for other people - people who could die from covid. That’s what’s selfish.
THIS.

Texas governor bans elective surgeries in multiple counties due to hospital bed crisis

why is the governor dictating how hospitals can conduct business? This is a huge restriction on hospital fiscal operations.
It's called regulation. Governments regulate all the time. The Governor has authority during a health crisis.

Reactions: VandallHuskerJulie
The arrogance and selfishness of the general American population is going to drag this out far longer than it needs to. It's not about your "rights", it's about doing the right thing. Wear a mask around others, avoid crowds especially in doors. Not that hard.

Can you show me the death stats as well please? Listen, it is much easier to get a test right now. No more than a few weeks ago you couldn't get a test. We had 3 people in our office get sick and we called to try and get a test... Crickets.... Fast forward to last week, I've had to get 2. 1 because of my daughter and potential exposure at daycare and another work related. I don't discount we are having some flare ups, but it is also a hell of a lot easier to get tested right now and so you are probably going to have some spikes. With that said, the last time I looked at the death numbers they were at the lowest levels they've been.

Can you show me the death stats as well please? Listen, it is much easier to get a test right now. No more than a few weeks ago you couldn't get a test. We had 3 people in our office get sick and we called to try and get a test... Crickets.... Fast forward to last week, I've had to get 2. 1 because of my daughter and potential exposure at daycare and another work related. I don't discount we are having some flare ups, but it is also a hell of a lot easier to get tested right now and so you are probably going to have some spikes. With that said, the last time I looked at the death numbers they were at the lowest levels they've been.

LOL. The Daily Show's twitter is the source of your information....

Death stats and numbers of tests. On top of that what is the population immunity. In the areas of Italy where they've done whole community testing they've shown a population immunity of up to 70%. We're nowhere close to that.

The number of tests we're doing now is through the roof. In addition IMO giving bars the green light on full occupancy (shoulder to shoulder) was not a good move. It's just the nature of what happens in particular with young people when they get a couple of drinks in them. Yes positive tests are up but the case fatality rate continues to fall. Opening up more is NOT going to make this drag out more. IF anything it should make the path to population immunity shorter. This is NOT going away just because we stayed home for a few more weeks.

Last edited:

Death stats and numbers of tests. On top of that what is the population immunity. In the areas of Italy where they've done whole community testing they've shown a population immunity of up to 70%. We're nowhere close to that.

The number of tests we're doing now is through the roof. In addition IMO giving bars the green light on full occupancy (shoulder to shoulder) was not a good move. It's just the nature of what happens in particular with young people when they get a couple of drinks in them. Yes positive tests are up but the case fatality rate continues to fall. Opening up more is NOT going to make this drag out more. IF anything it should make the path to population immunity shorter. This is NOT going away just because we stayed home for a few more weeks.
I understand that testing is going up therefore conformed cases will go up, wasnt really my point. Guess I shouldn't have added the tweet. I believe businesses should be open but not to the degree i see in a lot of places. Was just trying to say only in America are we so divided on something as simple as wearing a damn mask and doing their part for the greater good.

How do you know the number of tests we're doing is now through the roof? I don't see or hear of any mandatory testing centers, but I could be wrong. Where is this big push to test coming from?

It also sounds as if you are advocating for everyone to go get the virus, to achieve population immunity.. sadly no mention of those that would fail to become immune in that scenario.

There is a reason why the United States has this worse than any other country, and it is precisely because it places personal rights/freedoms/importance above that of the group. The rest of the world is not wired backwards like this.

Anyway, case fatality rates are going to go back up in a couple of weeks due to the long incubation period.

Reactions: SkerInCo
There is a reason why the United States has this worse than any other country, and it is precisely because it places personal rights/freedoms/importance above that of the group. The rest of the world is not wired backwards like this.

Clemson also has more +s than the entire euro soccer league

people say they want football/sports etc but it is all talk

Last edited:

this can't be right? plans to restart finalized? in FL? dated today?

the NBA: all talk

Last edited:
Reactions: OzzyLvr
....because sports will only be played when there are zero positives?

not my decision - the question is what is that rate of + tests that is compatible with having sports
Europe has started back up as they have controlled the first wave and things are under control
The US hasn’t - we are still in the first wave

Reactions: CameronKrazie86
yes ... I was being sarcastic because many were holding up Texas, Florida etc as examples of how if you keep things open it will be fine
Thing is, things are still ok. There is little problem with having more young people with COVID. No one predicted that cases wouldn't go up when things opened up, just that the increase could be managed. We couldn't stay closed forever.

Protect the elderly and sick. The rest go on with life. Herd immunity eventually.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
So now they're saying helping to spread this by not wearing masks indoors and in close quarter outdoor situations is = Drunk Driving.

Hopefully the chance is high as the fatality rate of Covid. .026%

That's a wild guess, the seropositive tests have big error rates. The only data that good says 5.2%. In addition, if you don't die you have permanent organ damage from the sickness. If Ezekiel Elliot had a bad shortness of breath symptom he may have permanent lung damage and may never play again.

It almost sounds like your cheering for everything to stay shut down

Nope - I’m in favor of opening things up as long as people can act responsibly

But apparently keeping some degree of social distancing and wearing a mask in public is too much

The 2 states that led the charge of aggressive openings with very little restrictions were Texas and Florida - they were the model of being wide open

I find it somewhat interesting wisconsin, whose supreme court struck down their gov's shutdown effort and opened bars/restaurants full throttle very early, seems to be doing fine

same with CO, which opened right alongside the now-infamous red states. no issues here despite at-best catch as catch can public masking

But apparently keeping some degree of social distancing and wearing a mask in public is too much

The 2 states that led the charge of aggressive openings with very little restrictions were Texas and Florida - they were the model of being wide open
Why is Cali so bad now?

Look I don’t mind the social distancing actually I prefer it especially shopping, as to wearing a mask how do you go out and eat or go to a bar and drink? We were told outside in the summer time heat and sunshine is the best, the virus dies out. One time they cdc said wear a mask didn’t do any good. I would like to hear the truth without it being political from either side. Just shoot straight up. But hell no everything has to be politicized. Even Fauci has flipped flopped. Can you understand why so people are apprehensive and wearing a mask? Look at the small business that will never come back, there bankrupt. But big business like Walmart Costco Amazon are making out like fat hogs. I guess the small business person doesn’t contribute the money to politicians like big corporations do.

Reactions: nwualum
I find it somewhat interesting wisconsin, whose supreme court struck down their gov's shutdown effort and opened bars/restaurants full throttle very early, seems to be doing fine

same with CO, which opened right alongside the now-infamous red states. no issues here despite at-best catch as catch can public masking
Just look at the New York curve and that will tell you everything. They got it bad early but now cases are a tiny fraction of their highs. The south and west were able to hold off for awhile, but now they are getting hit. Cases will hit their peak in those states and then fall off a cliff.

Just look at the New York curve and that will tell you everything. They got it bad early but now cases are a tiny fraction of their highs. The south and west were able to hold off for awhile, but now they are getting hit. Cases will hit their peak in those states and then fall off a cliff.

Italy, Spain, China, Europe as a whole etc all had their epicenter disaster/wake up calls and then they got things under control

we had New York - but apparently we are resigned to have multiple New York moments all across the country

Last edited:
frankly, I'm stunned to look up and still see a sky overhead

Reactions: nwualum
with positive cases on the rise and panties bunching uncontrollably, college football is focusing on the real issues (while nearly every team has reported for duty and are preparing for mini-camp):

It almost sounds like your cheering for everything to stay shut down

health care professionals are going to point out the more open things are (including large gatherings in stadiums - football etc) the more deaths will occur -- I'm not sure anyone will debate that

now the largest proportion of deaths will be the elderly and those with underlying health conditions - there are a lot of 65-70 yo with HTN and diabetes that otherwise live pretty normal lives - enjoy there kids and grandchildren, etc who are at risk

the politicians - school presidents - NCAA etc will need to decide to what degree things can open up and the subsequent death rate of the more vulnerable population that ensues they are willing to accept

herd immunity isn't going to happen unless there is an effective vaccine and people are willing to get injection

Last edited:
D2 school has cancelled their season, PGA tour has a small amount of players and caddies dropping out.

I think chances are pretty low of anything resembling a normal season happening at this point. I still think travel restrictions will be the real nail in the coffin, sending 100+ players/coaches/support staff to cities week after week for games just seems highly unlikely.

If they worked on a central location like the other US sports it could be possible, but unlikely. Football will be the hardest just because of the sheer volume of participants.

health care professionals are going to point out the more open things are (including large gathering in stadiums - football etc) the more deaths will occur -- I'm not sure anyone will debate that

now the largest proportion of deaths will be the elderly and those with underlying health conditions - there are a lot of 65-70 yo with HTN and diabetes that otherwise live pretty normal lives - enjoy there kids and grandchildren, etc who are at risk

the politicians - school presidents - NCAA etc will need to decide to what degree things can open up and the subsequent death rate of the more vulnerable population that ensues they are willing to accept

herd immunity isn't going yo happen unless there is an effective vaccine
https://www.vox.com/2019/3/27/18174368/football-concussion-brain-injury-cte-youth-football

https://www.advisory.com/daily-briefing/2017/09/14/football-ortho

healthcare professionals already largely agree football is too dangerous and shouldn't be played by anyone in the first place

https://www.vox.com/2019/3/27/18174368/football-concussion-brain-injury-cte-youth-football

https://www.advisory.com/daily-briefing/2017/09/14/football-ortho

healthcare professionals already largely agree football is too dangerous and shouldn't be played by anyone in the first place

that is fine, health care professionals won't be deciding whether there is football or not - you can ultimately direct your praise or anger at those who will make that decision

Last edited:
Reactions: huskerssalts
Well, it’s a matter of time before this thread is locked. I don’t get it, don’t get it at all. We got sports related threads and they get ignored or barely any responses and then we get a thread like this and it gets nothing but back and forth crap.

Reactions: schuele
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT