ADVERTISEMENT

Odds and ends: Lubick comments and Fidone

HominidHusker

First Team All-Big Ten
Jun 25, 2018
Lubick comments:
Wandale and Warner are leaders. He really likes Warner. A. Brown may be fastest of all breaking off some big runs back in the spring.
Nance and Houston are fast, have the right mindset now, but just need reps.
Hickman been playing Duck R for blocking schemes and mismatches (makes sense being closer to line with TE and speaks to versatility of the position). Praised Hickman’s toughness as a blocker and likes his big frame.
He’s been impressed with walkons overall saying he’s never seen group of walkons that are often indistinguishable from scholly guys.
Can’t comment much on Manning/Betts/Fleming since he hasn’t really worked with them but knows they need playmakers.

Fidone was looking good at Warren Academy, looking lean, weighing in at 225 with room to add a lot, clocked at 4.6 in the 40, running smooth routes while making nice catches, including a top play one hander. Despite the one hander my fave was actually a quick adjustment to a ball thrown behind his head, snagging it securely, tuck and run.
He got interviewed and confirmed his Sept visit to LSU and wanting to take visits to Notre Dame and Michigan as he already knows Nebraska and Iowa well. Communicating most with Nebraska and LSU- daily facetime with LSU.
Greg Peterson seemed to have to really press him/lead him just to get any comments about Nebraska. Maybe Fidone was coy on purpose, but he seemed to glow the most about LSU despite his good relationship with Nebraska coaches. Peterson put in a future cast for Nebraska, but could just be trying to move the needle for us.
As a side note:
James Carnie TE out of Norris has a similar frame to Fidone also running 4.6 40 and had a 4.3 pro agility time (vert was 32 vs Fidone 37). He’s added a lot of weight over the off season and is dreaming of a Husker offer while recognizing he also wants Nebraska to take Fidone.
He could be next man up if Fidone and Gunner Helm go elsewhere. He’s currently committed to Miami-Ohio, gaining attention from P5 midwest schools.
AJ Rollins obviously is in the mix but we need 2 TE’s.

I take all 3 local te's and move one if necessary to defense, or even tackle. We've missed on too many kids with similar builds over the years.

I
I take all 3 local te's and move one if necessary to defense, or even tackle. We've missed on too many kids with similar builds over the years.
Considering we’re short on DL, may not be a bad option. But could be tough playing the numbers right with a smaller class size.

ADVERTISEMENT