ADVERTISEMENT

OC Hire…

Big 10 west offenses really sucked. Could they run they ball? Sure. Iowa and wisconsin could run the ball. Who else in the west? Nebraska? Ok. Who else?
Minnesota (31st) , Michigan, Mich St, Tosu, Neb all had top 50 rush offenses..hell Illimois was 56th 7 out of 14 teams in conference had top 56 rush offenses, that's half the conference with top end Rush offenses...

And until this season 95% of the population had never heard of the dude. Makes you wonder what hanging with Clawson has gotten him after all this time.
Well it's gotten him good paychecks and a good amount of stability which u have to admit, is kind of rare in the coaching profession.these days..

I would think he would either be next In line if Clawson leaves for a better gig to ej HC, or go with him for a pay bump at another gig. But heck if ur Clawson, why would u even want to leave? He's a King at at Wake. Low expectations, a good paycheck, no one expects u to beat the top end teams in the ACC.. that's a damn good gig if u can get it for a lot of coaches..

You are kind of random. Chip Kelly is coming out of left field a bit but ok. Or at least irrelevant to my post that you replayed to. His games been figured out very much like Chad Morris.

And yes many types of option football. And yeah, TO and Solich differed some but had some very much basic concepts.

but we can hope for that guy that’s been shit canned his last two P5 jobs to be OC. Sure 3rd times the charm
Not so random.
Solich’s offense was basically a handoff to Dietrich or Crouch run while Crouch was the QB and deteriorated to a glorified wildcat formation for Lord.

the Oregon and Chip Kelly comments are more relevant to those who believe the offense Frost wants to run is some sort of pansy soft, finesse pass first offense. It just isn’t. Perhaps it is lazy recruiting, recruiting misses, poor development, whatever the case. The design of the offense is to be somewhat physical. The option was a good part of it as well. So getting the Army OC to come in here and teach option is pointless. I am sure Frost or whoever is named OC can put in some game video of Army and take what they need to improve the offense without hiring the guy as OC and wasting a spring and a summer getting the guy up to speed on what Frost wants to run, because Frost isn’t going to commit to running a triple option O that throws the ball 4 times per game.

Minnesota (31st) , Michigan, Mich St, Tosu, Neb all had top 50 rush offenses..hell Illimois was 56th 7 out of 14 teams in conference had top 56 rush offenses, that's half the conference with top end Rush offenses...
I guess I was talking about the west, since you were touting 6 of the west teams had great run defenses. I left out minnesota, good catch there, but when you are going up against northwestern, Purdue, Illinois (even at 56th), there are some weak rushing offenses that teams can pad their stats against. Not saying it’s exclusively because the west sucks, but it certainly contributes to good defensive statistics.

You may be right, the rush defenses in the west are just that good. But there are some crappy offenses in the B1G west…

Well it's gotten him good paychecks and a good amount of stability which u have to admit, is kind of rare in the coaching profession.these days..

I would think he would either be next In line if Clawson leaves for a better gig to ej HC, or go with him for a pay bump at another gig. But heck if ur Clawson, why would u even want to leave? He's a King at at Wake. Low expectations, a good paycheck, no one expects u to beat the top end teams in the ACC.. that's a damn good gig if u can get it for a lot of coaches..

Clawson just signed a long-term extension at Wake, I don't think he's going anywhere.

Ruggiero is 55 years old, and he's been with Clawson for the last 12 years. It seems like he's content. I can't see him wanting to leave and start all over somewhere at his age...especially somewhere where there's a decent chance he could be fired after one year.

I guess I was talking about the west, since you were touting 6 of the west teams had great run defenses. I left out minnesota, good catch there, but when you are going up against northwestern, Purdue, Illinois (even at 56th), there are some weak rushing offenses that teams can pad their stats against. Not saying it’s exclusively because the west sucks, but it certainly contributes to good defensive statistics.

You may be right, the rush defenses in the west are just that good. But there are some crappy offenses in the B1G west…

Clawson just signed a long-term extension at Wake, I don't think he's going anywhere.

Ruggiero is 55 years old, and he's been with Clawson for the last 12 years. It seems like he's content. I can't see him wanting to leave and start all over somewhere at his age...especially somewhere where there's a decent chance he could be fired after one year.
Yeah kind of what I was thinking..re Ruggs.

There are much better opportunities for him to leave if he wanted to venture out on his own then what NU has on the table right now.

• Sad
Reactions: BleedRed78
Not so random.
Solich’s offense was basically a handoff to Dietrich or Crouch run while Crouch was the QB and deteriorated to a glorified wildcat formation for Lord.

the Oregon and Chip Kelly comments are more relevant to those who believe the offense Frost wants to run is some sort of pansy soft, finesse pass first offense. It just isn’t. Perhaps it is lazy recruiting, recruiting misses, poor development, whatever the case. The design of the offense is to be somewhat physical. The option was a good part of it as well. So getting the Army OC to come in here and teach option is pointless. I am sure Frost or whoever is named OC can put in some game video of Army and take what they need to improve the offense without hiring the guy as OC and wasting a spring and a summer getting the guy up to speed on what Frost wants to run, because Frost isn’t going to commit to running a triple option O that throws the ball 4 times per game.
Ok man. Keep spinning those wheels. Maybe we can tie knute rockne and bill wash into the covo too

Your entire state is an LOL.
I agree with him. This is a VERY underwhelming candidate. Isn’t army the team that has gone complete games without throwing a pass? If so, why the hell did we hire joseph. Just have the OL coach have “wr” te and ol

I don't care what offense we run, just win baby! And once you pick an style, can we stick with it for more than a game or two?

Reactions: headcard
Harrell also wouldn't make sense if we already named Mickey the "Passing Game Coordinator". Harrell learned the Air Raid under Mike Leach, I don't think he'd need or want a Passing Game Coordinator.

If they weren’t aggressive and are giving up 4 plus yards per carry, I would think that number would go up with more aggressive play.
The risk is giving up big plays in the passing game. Instead we laid back and let teams like MIinnesota complete 8 yard passes repeatedly. That killed me to watch that. IF our DBs can't cover one on one find some that can and get your ass after the QB instead of letting him pick you apart. Just my woefully underqualified hot take. I'm spoiled after watching Tom's defenses attack college offenses. Sigh.

Harrell also wouldn't make sense if we already named Mickey the "Passing Game Coordinator". Harrell learned the Air Raid under Mike Leach, I don't think he'd need or want a Passing Game Coordinator.
Again. That title was simply a way of justifying giving Mickey more money. It's like when we gave Austin the "run game coordinator" title (God knows why). There was no way he had anything to do with it other than coaching the blocking. I don't think Harrell would give a rat's ass about having his WR coach have that title as long he got paid.

IF it would be Davis we wouldn't run the army offense...again, it would be help on blocking schemes, red zone calls etc. just fine tuning Frost. He isn't turning the keys over
agree, frost isn't letting go of anything.. he hires 2 guys and gives each a part of the puzzle, so neither can be fully in charge and frost gets his do over.. that's fine, he's not fooling anyone that matters. With AM moving on thankfully, it will give everyone another shot to get it right.

Reactions: BleedRed78
Think Co-OC's.

According to one supposedly in the know, a former player who I don't know but apparently is somewhat in the loop. It may be a combination of coaches. RB/Co-OC & a QB/Co-OC.

The thought being, a power run game with triple option aspects and big pass play capabilities. IF that's the case then the Army OC would be the most likely candidate. No clue who the other might be.

Supposedly the OL coach will be a solid hire too.

Just relaying what I've read/heard so take it with a grain of salt as I have zero inside knowledge.

Think Co-OC's.

According to one supposedly in the know, a former player who I don't know but apparently is somewhat in the loop. It may be a combination of coaches. RB/Co-OC & a QB/Co-OC.

The thought being, a power run game with triple option aspects and big pass play capabilities. IF that's the case then the Army OC would be the most likely candidate. No clue who the other might be.

Supposedly the OL coach will be a solid hire too.

Just relaying what I've read/heard so take it with a grain of salt as I have zero inside knowledge.
Sounds like a recipe for a clusterf### to me. I wouldn't be critical of an off the radar younger OC who has shown proficiency with an offense similar to Frost's. Cobbling up a hybrid staff like that of guys who have never worked together sounds ridiculous.

Last edited:
Again. That title was simply a way of justifying giving Mickey more money. It's like when we gave Austin the "run game coordinator" title (God knows why). There was no way he had anything to do with it other than coaching the blocking. I don't think Harrell would give a rat's ass about having his WR coach have that title as long he got paid.

We already gave Mickey the "Assistant Head Coach" title. That would seem like a big enough title to justify paying him more. So not sure why we'd need to give him another title. Or why not giving him "Recruiting Coordinator" title?

To me it seems like giving him the Passing Game Coordinator means we will be hiring an O.C. who doesn't pass a lot, but we'll be able to tell recruits that Mickey is going to help incorporate elements of the passing game that Joe Brady implemented at LSU.

We already gave Mickey the "Assistant Head Coach" title. That would seem like a big enough title to justify paying him more. So not sure why we'd need to give him another title. Or why not giving him "Recruiting Coordinator" title?

To me it seems like giving him the Passing Game Coordinator means we will be hiring an O.C. who doesn't pass a lot, but we'll be able to tell recruits that Mickey is going to help incorporate some of the things Joe Brady implemented at LSU.
All I know is IF the LJS is all of the sudden tweeting out that we shouldn't forget about Graham Harrell, he's probably in the mix. The LJS has traditionally been the venue of choice to leak information that the AD's office wants floated.

Reactions: NikkiSixx
He already had the title of assistant head coach at LSU. The title of passing game coordinator is a new title that he hasn’t had before

All I know is IF the LJS is all of the sudden tweeting out that we shouldn't forget about Graham Harrell, he's probably in the mix. The LJS has traditionally been the venue of choice to leak information that the AD's office wants floated.
Sam is. He is there to go to release information. From the whole Scott is back to the WR hire, etc.

Sam is. He is there to go to release information. From the whole Scott is back to the WR hire, etc.

You mean Sip right? Sam is OWH and is definitely not a mouth piece for the University. He’s much more of the Dirk “here’s a thousand words on an observation I made and some quotes from a random football person you probably forgot about.”

Based on the rumor mill I think it’s the Army OC. And here’s what you’re not gonna like… they don’t play today. They play next weekend. So you’re gonna have to wait a while if it’s him… though I expect reports will come out before their game.

The fact that Mickey was given the title of Passing Game Coordinator further convinces me this is the case. The offense needs a run identity but it also can’t be the true triple option Army runs. They’d be co-coordinators in a sense.
They had to give Joseph several titles just to justify the big salary it takes to get him to come to Nebraska. That's all I'd read into it.

Reactions: dinglefritz
word is, he is a brilliant play caller.. we could use that skill

After watching this game tonight, with WF scoring fast with 21 pts and then following that up with zero pts for the rest of the game, 4 ints, extremely slow developing plays, playing from the shotgun on 2nd and 3rd and 1 and ending up having to punt, this guy is a perfect fit for Nebraska and I can see why Frost wants him.

After watching this game tonight, with WF scoring fast with 21 pts and then following that up with zero pts for the rest of the game, 4 ints, extremely slow developing plays, playing from the shotgun on 2nd and 3rd and 1 and ending up having to punt, this guy is a perfect fit for Nebraska and I can see why Frost wants him.

Yeah, that Gimmicky slow mesh offense would be a disaster for us in the Big Ten.

Man, USC's offense is a sh*tshow tonight. A fumble returned for a TD, dropped passes, delay of game penalties. If Frost is pinning his hopes on Graham Harrell....well, he's definitely going to be unemployed a year from now.

They had to give Joseph several titles just to justify the big salary it takes to get him to come to Nebraska. That's all I'd read into it.
Why does he need more titles to justify more salary? Genuinely curious. Can’t we pay him whatever we want for whatever position we want?

Why does he need more titles to justify more salary? Genuinely curious. Can’t we pay him whatever we want for whatever position we want?
Sure but, hypothetically, if you pay your new WR coach $500k and are looking to also add a RB coach and OL coach, those 2 coaches are also going to ask for the same $500k. But if you give the WR coach a couple of titles and added responsibilities, perceived or otherwise, the other jobs can be slotted with a lower salary.

it’s a pointless game, I agree, but when you are negotiating with agents it is sort of a necessary evil.

Man, USC's offense is a sh*tshow tonight. A fumble returned for a TD, dropped passes, delay of game penalties. If Frost is pinning his hopes on Graham Harrell....well, he's definitely going to be unemployed a year from now.
Their QB carousel and injuries haven't helped them. They're a rudderless ship with a lame duck coaching staff. Players quit.

Reactions: headcard
Please dear God let that be true and scrap the idea of splitting the OC duties between "run game and passing game coordinators" Actually, it could be my brother in law's KingAir.

You know those titles don’t mean anything. Either an OC will run it or Frost will. Those titles are just a way to justify pay raises.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT