ADVERTISEMENT

OC Hire…

So if Davis is going to be the running coordinator and Joseph will be the passing coordinator who will be calling the plays?

Did it dawn on SF that 6 of the top 27 Rush defenses reside in the B10 though? Uuuuuummm? And 3 of them are on our side of the conference and all ranked in the top 14 in the nation?
???
yes, and this is why pass happy is getting dropped....time to own the 4th quarter again

Reactions: drubendall
yes, and this is why pass happy is getting dropped....time to own the 4th quarter again
How we gonna own the 4th q when 6 of the top rush DEFENSES reside in the B10? Since we are going to run an offense that caters to the b10 conferences STRENGTHS ON defense ???!!!!

• Haha
Reactions: king_kong_
Everything is connected..running the ball helps the defense out. Pair a Wisconsin or Iowa defense with a spread attack offense and their “top” defenses would take a major hit
Running the ball shortens the game and keeps teams that can’t score in the game longer. The defense benefits from the limited possessions.

Now if you want to tell me that Chinander’s defense is going to better than 59th in the country in rushing yards per game and 72nd in yards per carry than fine.

I don’t know anything about this OC search. But the names being thrown around on the various boards and Twitter by those claiming to know are:

Warren Ruggiero OC WF
Robert Anae OC Virginia
Brent Davis OC Army
Willy Kirk OC Costal Carolina
Chad Morris former OC Clemson

How we gonna own the 4th q when 6 of the top rush DEFENSES reside in the B10? Since we are going to run an offense that caters to the b10 conferences STRENGTHS ON defense ???!!!!

4 of the top 25 in pass D, 6 in run D, but 8 in the top 50 is pass D vs 6 on run D. Running the ball and controlling the clock are huge in the B1G

Reactions: huskerfan1000
they have them top rated defenses because we are pass happy, you get a I-back like LP, a qb like frazier, a pipeline....and they would fold like a wet paper bag.....
sure they look good against a turnover machine qb, a 1/8th assed run game. and receivers who faint because they might break a nail, blocking...

why do I have to explain these basic things? WHY????

Did it dawn on SF that 6 of the top 27 Rush defenses reside in the B10 though? Uuuuuummm? And 3 of them are on our side of the conference and all ranked in the top 14 in the nation?
???
Does it dawn on you how bad the offenses are on our side of the conference, allowing for defenses to excel?

Could that be a possibility for the “top” rush defenses being on our side of the conference?

Reactions: jmliehr
Nebraska has to bring in Davis because it has forgotten how to run the option. You can't make this stuff up.

Frosty: "What was that thing we used to do in the past that was pretty successful, any of you guys remember?"

It makes sense. None of the other teams in the Big ten West can put together a great passing offense. All of their quarterbacks are pretty mediocre. What makes us think we can win big with the pass game? Passing compliments running, but running is the engine. Be great at it.
As I have asked before with no response, name a team that runs that type of O and who has won anything.

Of course, you can always think Nebraska can do it better than anyone else, and we did with the once in a lifetime man running the show. You don't have that anymore.

I guess we will Wisconsin and Iowa now?

It has to be Morris. Great offensive mind and can being along his son as a major bonus.

Based on the rumor mill I think it’s the Army OC. And here’s what you’re not gonna like… they don’t play today. They play next weekend. So you’re gonna have to wait a while if it’s him… though I expect reports will come out before their game.

The fact that Mickey was given the title of Passing Game Coordinator further convinces me this is the case. The offense needs a run identity but it also can’t be the true triple option Army runs. They’d be co-coordinators in a sense.
I actually love this hire and idea if true. it could really work well and bring a ton of fresh new innovation to the offense.

Imagine an offense with an option attack base but with a legit passing game. What better personal then Frost, Davis, and Joesph to establish such a system. Mickey is key in this development. He obviously isn’t coming to NU to just teach his guys how to block. He also is a key to be able to transition a triple option attack (an offense he ran @ NU) into A legit passing game.

and then your getting 3 different minds in a room to really work on new ideas. Which is what frost said he wants, new ideas. And just because all Davis knows or taught was option football doesn’t mean he can’t grow. And maybe he has ideas how to develop/ modernize the option

We see phases of such offense when we watch the Ravens or a few other NFL teams on Sunday.

Again; this system could really work if true. BUT the issue is it would take time. the kid of time I just don’t believe Frost has at this point

Does it dawn on you how bad the offenses are on our side of the conference, allowing for defenses to excel?

Could that be a possibility for the “top” rush defenses being on our side of the conference?
So is that why a lot of SEC teams have good rush defenses then...cuz their offenses are terrible? NO they have good rush defenses cuz they have good rush defenses...same with B10 teams. Running the ball for B10 teams is a strength even if they have mediocre offenses it is the better part of their O than the passing game. B10 defenses have good rush defenses cuz they have good rush defenses..

Reactions: oldjar07
I don’t know anything about this OC search. But the names being thrown around on the various boards and Twitter by those claiming to know are:

Warren Ruggiero OC WF
Robert Anae OC Virginia
Brent Davis OC Army
Willy Kirk OC Costal Carolina
Chad Morris former OC Clemson

Ruggiero would be a home-run hire. But not sure why he'd leave, and if he did, he could probably have his pick of any coordinator job.

Reactions: BleedRed78
Ruggiero would be a home-run hire. But not sure why he'd leave, and if he did, he could probably have his pick of any coordinator job.

While true. Nebraska is a much bigger job and success here could raise his profile a lot. Some guys want the big job and big check.

He seems like the biggest long-shot, but would probably be my first choice.

The option was not the secret to our success. A hall of fame head coach was the difference.
Well and finally figuring out we needed more speed on D...to get us over the hump...

Realistically TO should have done it after the early 1980s Miami game where they score 35 on us. It was apparant then we needed more, especially on D...but oh well at least he finally figured it out eventually..lol

So we've got some rumors saying we're hiring a triple-option coordinator, and other rumors saying we're hiring an Air Raid coordinator.

Both seem like terrible ideas to me.
I don't think GH was running an Air Raid at USC the last few years, but having said that, his O wasn't exactly scaring anyone either..

Reactions: headcard
So we've got some rumors saying we're hiring a triple-option coordinator, and other rumors saying we're hiring an Air Raid coordinator.

Both seem like terrible ideas to me.

Harrell want really running an air raid. They haves 150 a game on the ground. But it sure wouldn’t be a commitment to a dominating run game, that’s for sure.

Also, pretty’s sure he was a HC somewhere. Maybe he didn’t get it?

Last edited:
This, it went downhill quickly without TO
Definitely 🤥

what did we do with it after TO? Noting, other than

win the Big-12 in 1999
Have a QB who ran it win a Heisman in 2001
played for a Natty in 2001
Went 10-3 with a top 20 finish the last year with it

if the worst thing you can say about post TO option is we had a first .500 season in a very long time in which we lost a bowl game to a 2 time Super Bowl MVP QB and soon to be HOF, then If thats the worst season we had running option after TO, that’s a dam good improvement from the state of the current program.

Don’t understand why people are so afraid of trying to go back to something that has proven to work here? Or at least some hybrid version of it. What’s the worse that can happen? 3-9 seasons are already occurring

the program started to fail back then because of recruiting. I’m sorry but most people will tell you that to be true. And not just recruiting an option QB. Everywhere recruiting. Was it Cedric Benson that most point too?

Last edited:
I suspect his name is only being floated around so he can get a pay increase AT WF.

If u think logically, there is simply no reason why he would leave WF at this point in time considering he is pretty much attached at the hip of the HC. Unless it would be for a much better situation than the one offered currently at NU.

Basically a one yr trial by fire, amd no guarantee to be retained even if u do well as an OC.
And until this season 95% of the population had never heard of the dude. Makes you wonder what hanging with Clawson has gotten him after all this time.

Was Joseph named passing game coordinator? I didn't see that.

If so, totally agree it would make sense for Davis.

Was hoping Joseph would be recruiting coordinator.
It's just a title to give him the money he needed to come to Nebraska. All it was. That title means virtually nothing.

Reactions: BrighteRed24
Frost has already said hes not going to wholesale change the offense. Personally I don't expect a huge ground and pound type of game even if it's Davis.

Since next year is sort of a put up or shut up year I don't really expect radical changes to scheme. We might run a few different personnel groups or change things situationally but I don't think our fundamental offense is being re worked.

If Frost were commited to a ground and pound game I think he'd at least be a bit more vocal about it. He'd get nothing but kudos from the die hards who most want him gone. Also only one of the rumored OCs is a ground and pound type of guy, everyone else is not. I'd expect the rumor mill to look a bit different if we were changing scheme.

Definitely 🤥

win the Big-12 in 1999

if the worst thing you can say about post TO option is we had a first .500 season in a very long time in which we lost a bowl game to a 2 time Super Bowl MVP QB and soon to be HOF, then If thats the worst season we had running option after TO, that’s a dam good improvement from the state of the current program.

Don’t understand why people are so afraid of trying to go back to something that has proven to work here? Or at least some hybrid version of it. What’s the worse that can happen? 3-9 seasons are already occurring

the program started to fail back then because of recruiting. I’m sorry but most people will tell you that to be true. And not just recruiting an option QB. Everywhere recruiting. Was it Cedric Benson that most point too?
Who was going to take over the football program and run it as TO did? Solich obviously wasn't the answer and we were well beyond the 70's so the pool of coaches running that sort of offense was limited.

Oklahoma, Alabama, etc. won with the option too, wonder why they don't feel the need keep using it..

Definitely 🤥

win the Big-12 in 1999

Two things, Solich’s offense was nothing like Osborne’s except formations. If you wanna talk about a quarterback centric offense, that was it.

Too many people I think that what Chip Kelly ran at Oregon was finesse, but the truth is his interior lines were pretty damn physical. He just had so much speed on the field that it made the offense look finesse.

Who was going to take over the football program and run it as TO did? Solich obviously wasn't the answer and we were well beyond the 70's so the pool of coaches running that sort of offense was limited.

Oklahoma, Alabama, etc. won with the option too, wonder why they don't feel the need keep using it..
The past is the past. So not sure how to answer a question that has no answer to it.

But who can run it now? Frost, Davis, and Joseph seem very qualified to come up with a very good modernization of option football.

will they run it as TO did? Hell no. If you keep putting the bar for NU @ TO’s level, I’m afraid that’s too high. We need an identity and we need to start winning games and our season shouldn’t be done after thanksgiving ever. That’s all I have hopes for at this point

Last edited:
Reactions: headcard
Running the ball shortens the game and keeps teams that can’t score in the game longer. The defense benefits from the limited possessions.

Now if you want to tell me that Chinander’s defense is going to better than 59th in the country in rushing yards per game and 72nd in yards per carry than fine.
Chin has gotten a lot of love for his defense this year but I would say it wasn't as great as some think. They did some things well and they were put in some bad spots by our offense and special teams, but I really would like to see more aggressive schemes and play from them.

Two things, Solich’s offense was nothing like Osborne’s except formations. If you wanna talk about a quarterback centric offense, that was it.

Too many people I think that what Chip Kelly ran at Oregon was finesse, but the truth is his interior lines were pretty damn physical. He just had so much speed on the field that it made the offense look finesse.
You are kind of random. Chip Kelly is coming out of left field a bit but ok. Or at least irrelevant to my post that you replayed to. His games been figured out very much like Chad Morris.

And yes many types of option football. And yeah, TO and Solich differed some but had some very much basic concepts.

but we can hope for that guy that’s been shit canned his last two P5 jobs to be OC. Sure 3rd times the charm

Last edited:
So is that why a lot of SEC teams have good rush defenses then...cuz their offenses are terrible? NO they have good rush defenses cuz they have good rush defenses...same with B10 teams. Running the ball for B10 teams is a strength even if they have mediocre offenses it is the better part of their O than the passing game. B10 defenses have good rush defenses cuz they have good rush defenses..
Big 10 west offenses really sucked. Could they run they ball? Sure. Iowa and wisconsin could run the ball. Who else in the west? Nebraska? Ok. Who else?

Chin has gotten a lot of love for his defense this year but I would say it wasn't as great as some think. They did some things well and they were put in some bad spots by our offense and special teams, but I really would like to see more aggressive schemes and play from them.
If they weren’t aggressive and are giving up 4 plus yards per carry, I would think that number would go up with more aggressive play.

The past is the past. So not sure how to answer a question that has no answer to it.

But who can run it now? Frost, Davis, and Joseph seem very qualified to come up with a very good modernization of option football.

will they run it as TO did? Hell no. If you keep putting the bat for NU @ TO’s level, I’m afraid that’s too high. We need an identity and we need to start winning games and our season shouldn’t be done after thanksgiving ever. That’s all I have hopes for at this point
Option football has been modernized with the spread option offense. Sure we may not see the qb under center with a fullback in the backfield but the rpo, zone read, speed option game is the modern option offense.

I don't disagree that we need to start winning, we all want that. I think the idea that we need to change the offense to be successful is silly. We need a good offensive line to run any offense. We can gain some yards with an unreliable offensive line, imagine if they were operating behind a bad ass offensive line. I know one thing, we wouldnt be here complaining about needing to run the ball 80% of the time.

Option football has been modernized with the spread option offense. Sure we may not see the qb under center with a fullback in the backfield but the rpo, zone read, speed option game is the modern option offense.

I don't disagree that we need to start winning, we all want that. I think the idea that we need to change the offense to be successful is silly. We need a good offensive line to run any offense. We can gain some yards with an unreliable offensive line, imagine if they were operating behind a bad ass offensive line. I know one thing, we wouldnt be here complaining about needing to run the ball 80% of the time.
We all want the same thing. If what Scott does is totally different then what I think would work , and it works for the program great. I just really like the idea of Frost, Davis, and Joseph coming up with something innovative

ADVERTISEMENT