ADVERTISEMENT

OC Hire…

cdriftt24

Redshirt Freshman
Dec 29, 2012
I’ve read a lot of names and not having announced anything yet makes me really wonder if we 1. Honestly don’t have any idea yet who it is? Or 2. They are coaching this weekend and we could hear next week?

If they have zeroed in on any of these guys I believe they would have already been announced.
Willy Korn from Coastal, they aren’t playing for a conference title. Chad Morris, guy is coaching a HS in Texas, why wait if that’s the guy? Herman was a pipe dream that isn’t going to happen.

If we really want an OC/QB coach and the QB to come along what about the Western Kentucky duo? Is the Zappe kid a senior and out of eligibility? They just played last night? Army OC plays today, and is also their OL coach, but he wouldn’t be bringing a QB with him.
Just fun to speculate to pass time… thoughts on who it will be?

I’ve read a lot of names and not having announced anything yet makes me really wonder if we 1. Honestly don’t have any idea yet who it is? Or 2. They are coaching this weekend and we could hear next week?

If they have zeroed in on any of these guys I believe they would have already been announced.
Willy Korn from Coastal, they aren’t playing for a conference title. Chad Morris, guy is coaching a HS in Texas, why wait if that’s the guy? Herman was a pipe dream that isn’t going to happen.

If we really want an OC/QB coach and the QB to come along what about the Western Kentucky duo? Is the Zappe kid a senior and out of eligibility? They just played last night? Army OC plays today, and is also their OL coach, but he wouldn’t be bringing a QB with him.
Army plays Navy next Saturday.

Ha ha – he had me confused when you said they are coaching”. Then I figured out, you mean the OC candidates, not our gang of coaches.

I wouldn't mind if it was Davis....I also will be surprised if it is any 'big' name. Frost isn't giving up full duties in a do or die season. Just need to work on red zone/clock management.

Reactions: JOHNNY N
I wouldn't mind if it was Davis....I also will be surprised if it is any 'big' name. Frost isn't giving up full duties in a do or die season. Just need to work on red zone/clock management.
Nebraska has to bring in Davis because it has forgotten how to run the option. You can't make this stuff up.

Frosty: "What was that thing we used to do in the past that was pretty successful, any of you guys remember?"

It makes sense. None of the other teams in the Big ten West can put together a great passing offense. All of their quarterbacks are pretty mediocre. What makes us think we can win big with the pass game? Passing compliments running, but running is the engine. Be great at it.

Nebraska has to bring in Davis because it has forgotten how to run the option. You can't make this stuff up.

Frosty: "What was that thing we used to do in the past that was pretty successful, any of you guys remember?"

IF it would be Davis we wouldn't run the army offense...again, it would be help on blocking schemes, red zone calls etc. just fine tuning Frost. He isn't turning the keys over

We just offered a 6-5 pro-style QB, our incoming freshman is not really a true dual threat guy nor is Haarberg. I seriously doubt we're going to be running an old school option offense. I call bs on Davis. It would make no sense unless his past history before his current gig was as a spread coach. The most logical hire would be Morris who would bring his QB son from TCU. Morris is coaching in a high school championship game this weekend which is a bigger deal in Texas than most on this board understand.

We just offered a 6-5 pro-style QB, our incoming freshman is not really a true dual threat guy nor is Haarberg. I seriously doubt we're going to be running an old school option offense. I call bs on Davis. It would make no sense unless his past history before his current gig was as a spread coach. The most logical hire would be Morris who would bring his QB son from TCU. Morris is coaching in a high school championship game this weekend which is a bigger deal in Texas than most on this board understand.
Agree, it’s odd Ruud would spill the beans..

Unless Flores and his family want to know you would think it wouldn’t get let out..

Completely agree. Davis would be an odd choice. I also wouldn’t put it past Scott to do it though.
I just like to post the random predictions I see on Twitter.
Chad Morris would be my top choice. I also like Warren Ruggerio.
In the end I just want to start winning games.

Warren Ruggiero gets mentioned a lot. Would be super awesome!

I agree - my guess is Morris. Nebraska would allow him and his son to reunite and have a big stage (likelihood of starting) that he wasn't getting at TCU (where Duggan was starting). They might be waiting to announce until after the TX HS game because that's what Morris requested.

Based on the rumor mill I think it’s the Army OC. And here’s what you’re not gonna like… they don’t play today. They play next weekend. So you’re gonna have to wait a while if it’s him… though I expect reports will come out before their game.

The fact that Mickey was given the title of Passing Game Coordinator further convinces me this is the case. The offense needs a run identity but it also can’t be the true triple option Army runs. They’d be co-coordinators in a sense.

He is coaching defense too?
good question, I would say yes...
if we reflect on NU having a strong run game, we see the black shirt practicing against such..
we remember a lp, and we remember a c. peter
we remember a dubois, an we remember a noonan
we remember a rozier, and we remember a munford..
for every action there's a reaction

I think the leadership is looking for the offense to have a lil more action...
and this will only produce a better reaction by the blackshirts.

I think the west point training will bring a lil more discipline to the offense,
bit less, penalties, turnovers, special team bloopers, etc...

Last edited:
Who is Brent Davis?

Brent Davis is in his eighth season with the Army West Point football team serving as the offensive coordinator. Davis' offense propelled the Black Knights to a 9-3 record in 2020 behind the nation's fourth-ranked rushing offense.
https://goarmywestpoint.com › roster

Brent Davis - Offensive Coordinator - Football Coaches - Go Army West Point

I could see hiring him as offensive line coach, but offensive coordinator? He's been a triple option guy his whole career, and now he's suddenly going to call plays for a different kind of offense?

Reactions: Boiler_B
I could see hiring him as offensive line coach, but offensive coordinator? He's been a triple option guy his whole career, and now he's suddenly going to call plays for a different kind of offense?
And if he is going to be Oline coach as well, is someone gonna teach him how to teach pass blocking????

You guys have heard of system qbs? Well service academy coaches are "system coaches"..FWIW

Last edited:
Not even OL coach in my book, the cut block a vast majority of the time. Unless you’re going to recruit a bunch of 6’2” 280 pound guys to roll around the knees of defensive linemen, I don’t know what he brings to the table there either.

Based on the rumor mill I think it’s the Army OC. And here’s what you’re not gonna like… they don’t play today. They play next weekend. So you’re gonna have to wait a while if it’s him… though I expect reports will come out before their game.

The fact that Mickey was given the title of Passing Game Coordinator further convinces me this is the case. The offense needs a run identity but it also can’t be the true triple option Army runs. They’d be co-coordinators in a sense.
Was Joseph named passing game coordinator? I didn't see that.

If so, totally agree it would make sense for Davis.

Was hoping Joseph would be recruiting coordinator.

It’s a title for Joseph to entice him to come to Lincoln instead of going somewhere else. Greg Austin was the run game coordinator, but his duties didn’t change, just a way to justify his salary increase.

An if he is going to be Oline coach as well is someone gonna teach him how to teach pass blocking????

You guys have heard of systrn qbs? Well service academy coaches are "system coaches"..FWIW

Yeah, there are plenty of other guys Frost could hire if he wanted to run the shotgun RPO. Andrew Sowder from Kent State comes to mind. Hiring a service academy guy makes no sense, unless Frost wants to switch to a flexbone triple option, which would be a complete disaster with the current players we have.

Was Joseph named passing game coordinator? I didn't see that.

If so, totally agree it would make sense for Davis.

Was hoping Joseph would be recruiting coordinator.

Yes, but these extra titles are more for $$$ than anything.

Would absolutely love to have Warren Ruggiero as our OC and QB coach.
I suspect his name is only being floated around so he can get a pay increase AT WF.

If u think logically, there is simply no reason why he would leave WF at this point in time considering he is pretty much attached at the hip of the HC. Unless it would be for a much better situation than the one offered currently at NU.

Basically a one yr trial by fire, amd no guarantee to be retained even if u do well as an OC.

Last edited:
I suspect his name is only being floated around so he can get a pay increase AT WF.

If u think logically, there is simply no reason why he would leave WF at this point in time considering he is pretty much attackhed at the hip of the HC. Unless it would be for a much better situation than the one offered currently at NU.
Basically a one yr trial by fire, amd no grantee to be retained even if u do well as an OC.
We'll see, but sometimes people are really motivated by money, prestige and a change of scenery i.e. better conference to get your name out there to get your own gig.

Yeah, there are plenty of other guys Frost could hire if he wanted to run the shotgun RPO. Andrew Sowder from Kent State comes to mind. Hiring a service academy guy makes no sense, unless Frost wants to switch to a flexbone triple option, which would be a complete disaster with the current players we have.

I’m a big fan of Swoder. But haven’t heard his name associated with our search at all.

Reactions: BleedRed78
frost tried to contact both transferring ohio state qb's, frost tried to contact rileys new qb recruit..
no return calls from the top pass happy qb's..

then it dawned on frost, Nebraska runs the ball...thats has been their only successful identity
from kinney, to davis, to end zone jones, to a mr. green...

reality seems to be afoot in lincoln

for the youngsters on the board...Nebraska and I believe air force were the top rushing teams forever

frost tried to contact both transferring ohio state qb's, frost tried to contact rileys new qb recruit..
no return calls from the top pass happy qb's..

then it dawned on frost, Nebraska runs the ball...thats has been their only successful identity
from kinney, to davis, to end zone jones, to a mr. green...

reality seems to be afoot in lincoln

for the youngsters on the board...Nebraska and I believe air force were the top rushing teams forever
Did it dawn on SF that 6 of the top 27 Rush defenses reside in the B10 though? Uuuuuummm? And 3 of them are on our side of the conference and all ranked in the top 14 in the nation?
???

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT