ADVERTISEMENT

Obi Toppin named AP NPOY

Toppin is a great player, and the thing I like most about him: Dayton got better after Crybaby Archie Miller left.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
They're probably going to have to amputate Marcus Zegarowski's leg and Creighton is doomed to go 0-33 next season.
Seriously who starts at PG next year? Minz was a 3 year starter before he was injured this year but Zegi looked elite

I’m going to get bashed but Garza should of won. Dislike Iowa but Garza was the freaking soul of that team and he carried that squad.
I like Garza, but how does this vault him over Toppin? He carried Dayton to a #3 ranking and they haven't lost a game since before Christmas.

Now of course I don't think Dayton goes undefeated in the Big Ten. But despite the annual mantra about the BIG being the best conference in the country, the Flyers would have finished pretty high in the standings.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
Seriously who starts at PG next year? Minz was a 3 year starter before he was injured this year but Zegi looked elite
You'll have to ask Dr. Sooner or Later, who diagnosed Zegarowski as having an ACL tear while sitting on his couch. He's like a human MRI machine.

Reactions: spinner4
I like Garza, but how does this vault him over Toppin? He carried Dayton to a #3 ranking and they haven't lost a game since before Christmas.

Now of course I don't think Dayton goes undefeated in the Big Ten. But despite the annual mantra about the BIG being the best conference in the country, the Flyers would have finished pretty high in the standings.
Agreed, not to mention a probable 1-seed in the tourney.

Last edited:
As a FWIW, I watch a lot of basketball and while it would not have been crazy to award Garza POY, Toppin is simply an overall better player. And he meant more to Dayton than Garza did to Iowa, at least based on the games I saw.

Dayton’s team didn’t have injures like Iowa did. Iowa lost one of the best shooters in the conference, a good young freshman in Patrick McCaffery, and that Jack Nunge guy who looked pretty good. Dayton didn’t lose any of their guys so that’s just what I’m thinking

Last edited:

Iowa beat 7 top 25 teams
Dayton beat 0 top 25 teams

Garza averaged 24 a game in the BIG10 with 5 or 6 of the top 25 centers in CBB
Toppin was a fancy dunker which is why he won

Reactions: FrankBurns00
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT