ADVERTISEMENT

O-line

If you want to put the size of those dudes into future perspective, consider these nuggets:

At the start of the 2017 season, which really included most of Mike Riley's players up front, Nebraska's offensive line was the 3rd smallest group in the Big Ten averaging:
6'3 7/8 .... 298.

The 2020 unit will now be the biggest group in the Big Ten averaging:
6'5 1/2 .... 312 lbs

Coincidentally, when Nebraska first shifted to the 3-4 in 2017, they grossly undersized to play that defense in the Big Ten. Across the board, that unit averaged 6'3 293. The two deep overall, was even worse at 6'2 3/4.... 288.

In 2020, Nebraska's two deep along the DL will average 6'5 1/4... 312 lbs.

When Frost arrived, he self scouted his team quickly and realized they had to dramatically overhaul their size and physicality along the line of scrimmage and in the defensive backfield. They've accomplished both those goals in three seasons.

If they want to make a full transition into a perennial division contender, they need to continue the overhaul at LB. Mike Riley set that position group back to 1960.

If you want to put the size of those dudes into future perspective, consider these nuggets:

At the start of the 2017 season, which really included most of Mike Riley's players up front, Nebraska's offensive line was the 3rd smallest group in the Big Ten averaging:
6'3 7/8 .... 298.

6'5 1/2 .... 312 lbs

Coincidentally, when Nebraska first shifted to the 3-4 in 2017, they grossly undersized to play that defense in the Big Ten. Across the board, that unit averaged 6'3 293. The two deep overall, was even worse at 6'2 3/4.... 288.

When Frost arrived, he self scouted his team quickly and realized they had to dramatically overhaul their size and physicality along the line of scrimmage and in the defensive backfield. They've accomplished both those goals in three seasons.

If they want to make a full transition into a perennial division contender, they need to continue the overhaul at LB. Mike Riley set that position group back to 1960.

I’m anxious to see what a couple years under Duval yields for the entire team in terms of physicality.
We need guys to stay healthy also.

He may be off to the NFL after 3 years. But he could be the starting RT this year, plus 4 more.
there s a bunch of offensive tackle type bodies on the roster who are going to be disappointed to learn they are not going to be playing the next 3-4 years. One OT spot is locked up for a long time. Assuming Corcoran is the LT next year that means both starting OT will have several years of eligibility leaving all the others to spend their careers on the bench. Wonder if there will be OL transfers next year when they start to figure this out

there s a bunch of offensive tackle type bodies on the roster who are going to be disappointed to learn they are not going to be playing the next 3-4 years. One OT spot is locked up for a long time. Assuming Corcoran is the LT next year that means both starting OT will have several years of eligibility leaving all the others to spend their careers on the bench. Wonder if there will be OL transfers next year when they start to figure this out

We have a lot more talent and depth at OG than at OT, at the moment.

Uhhh what are you talking about? Other than Benhardt and Banks, who on the roster are clearly tackles and wouldnt be suitable at guard?

Love your optimism, but if NU suddenly finds itself with coveted offensive linemen who can't get on the field because of the large stable of talent, this will be a truly astonishing development.

wouldn’t doubt it. I said Benhart last year was just hitting 300 or bit over. I knew he added more this offseason and sounds like the man is locked and loaded to be our full time RT for the next 3 years straight. GBR

Yes. I posted this because last I heard, Benhart was only about 290. I know Duval is a great weight room guy,
but Benhart's increase wasn't publicized .. that I saw. 6'9, 330. I can't wait to see what he looks like this Saturday.

Maybe Gus Johnson will Scream "Bryce fricking Benhart ... 6'9, 330!"

Yes. I posted this because last I heard, Benhart was only about 290. I know Duval is a great weight room guy,
but Benhart's increase wasn't publicized .. that I saw. 6'9, 330. I can't wait to see what he looks like this Saturday.

Maybe Gus Johnson will Scream "Bryce fricking Benhart ... 6'9, 330!"
Huskers.com has Matt Anderson at 6-6, 255. Yikes.

Reactions: Cornicator

6'3 7/8 .... 298.

6'5 1/2 .... 312 lbs

Mike freaking Riley... worst hire ever.

I think they want to play the best 5 guys if possible. I think that's why they do alot of cross training along the OL. If they have an OT who is the 4th best OL they will play him @OG over a guy who may be the 6th best OL regardless of position.

Holla

Corcoran give flexibility to the OL with his ability to play guard as well as tackle. I assume Banks will push for a starting spot in the OL in the coming years, and others could also shift Corcoran to OG. That's assuming Corcoran lives up to his potential and is one of the top 5 next year.

Late 1980s Center Jake Young started some games at 260 pounds. I want to see some nasty and dominance upfront. We’ve had plenty of big guys on the OL in the past decade but not much of the former.
I would be curious to see the size of lines overall 30 years ago. I think anyone over 300 was an outlier. Lots of guys 280 to 295 though.

Corcoran give flexibility to the OL with his ability to play guard as well as tackle. I assume Banks will push for a starting spot in the OL in the coming years, and others could also shift Corcoran to OG. That's assuming Corcoran lives up to his potential and is one of the top 5 next year.
Turner played Guard at the Army All American game last year, so he can definitely play it. I think Banks is strictly a Tackle

Turner played Guard at the Army All American game last year, so he can definitely play it. I think Banks is strictly a Tackle

I wouldn’t be surprised at all to see our Oline look like this next season....

B Banks LT, T Corcoran LG, C Jurgens OC, N Nouili RG, B Benhart RT.
(My prediction ^^^)

or

E Miller LT, T Corcoran LG, C Jurgens OC, E Piper RG, B Benhart RT

or

T Corcoran LT, E Piper LG, C Jurgens OC, N Nouili RG, B Benhart RT

Or a combination of those guys. Man it’s nice to finally have quality depth again on the Oline.

I don't get too wrapped up in roster heights&weights. Weights can vary 10 lbs during a week and who knows how accurate these are as they are just a snapshot on 1 particular day....

I have been thinking about the travel roster and I think they could bring anywhere from 10-13 OL. I am leaning 13. Here's my list

Jaimes,West,Jurgens,MFarniok,Benhart
Banks,Bando,WFarniok,Piper,Gaylord

Then an xtra 3 in case of injury...
Hixon who can play center or Guard and knows the offense. He will definitely travel I think.

Corcoran who is in the mix for next year and needs to get some travel under his belt. Gives us an extra tackle.

Finally I think Sichterman would be the 3rd guy and gives you an extra guard. (I would take Nouli but I am not sure how well he knows the offense yet given no spring training.)

Sorry if I missed it, but not sure anyone’s mentioned we’re adding Rivals Top100 6’9” Teddy Prochazka (Benhart 2.0) for next year to the mix, plus two 5.7 three stars in 6’6” Henry Lutovsky and 6’8” Branson Yager. Banks, Fritzche and Lynn all listed at 6’7”.

The frames they’ve been recruiting for OL are a far cry from what we saw before Frost where we were struggling to find guys who cleared 6’4” to play OT.

Last edited:
We'll find out soon enough if they can play at that weight. I watch the Bears trot out 5 very heavy guys each Sunday and a lot of the time they can't block anyone...and they get paid to do it.

We're expecting a LOT from Benhart in his first real year of live bullets. He'll have an absolute baptism by fire on Saturday, OSU will be about 3 deep with 5* pass rushers.

My expectation for the OL this year is that they be able to consistently block inside and outside zone. That's a low bar and it would be an advancement for them. We're still a year or two away from the age and depth we want across the board in OL and RB for the run game.

Reactions: 9and4 and bshirt73
We'll find out soon enough if they can play at that weight. I watch the Bears trot out 5 very heavy guys each Sunday and a lot of the time they can't block anyone...and they get paid to do it.

We're expecting a LOT from Benhart in his first real year of live bullets. He'll have an absolute baptism by fire on Saturday, OSU will be about 3 deep with 5* pass rushers.

My expectation for the OL this year is that they be able to consistently block inside and outside zone. That's a low bar and it would be an advancement for them. We're still a year or two away from the age and depth we want across the board in OL and RB for the run game.

Yes sir, I fully agree. I'm thinking our OLine this year will be way better than what we've had for years. Not Devaney-TO animal line-men yet but we should see some substantial improvement. If so, our qb, rbs & wrs will be happy campers. Heh, if we can run the damn ball everything else gets easier.

GBR!!

Reactions: dinglefritz

Hey, hey, DA Bears never did noting to youuuz..
😬

Sounds like Nouili made the travel roster. Good for him!
Wouldn't be surprised to see him in punt shield & special teams role as Coach Austin says they have 4 OL in ST roles. Nouili is athletic. Piper would be another good one. Can run.

Last edited:
Nouli says he likes football becuase it gives him the opportunity to hit someone. Piper is a former DL so he's plenty fiesty.

Reactions: Sinomatic
260 was still small in 1990. Probably most in 275 - 290 range

Matthew Andersen has surprisingly put on little weight this offseason. At 6-6 255 he’s smaller than our TEs. Some people struggle to add weight and he appears to be one. As a redshirt frosh, he still has plenty of time but the influx of more s talent with size will make it tougher.

ADVERTISEMENT