ADVERTISEMENT

NW Holding

Husker Hambone

Sophomore
Sep 15, 2013
I intend to watch those SOB zebras this Saturday and how many times they miss or flat out DO NOT throw a flag when NW Holds the $#%+ outta our LBs and DL! The past few years have been an absolute joke. F the BIG ten zebras and their stuck up agenda!

latest

The pre-emptive “we got screwed!” Well done
It’s blatantly unfair and it happens with regularity each and every year when BIG ten play starts. I’m F’ing fed up with it! I hope Frosty gives ‘em an earful on Saturday. Honestly some of the most absurd and bizarre penalties, plays, and turnovers have happened to this team over the past 5-10 years! The BIG ten zebra aggression will not stand man!

Two certainties when we play NW.

#1). They will get away with blatant holding all day long.

#2). They will have some little white guy at slot receiver, with a name like Flynn or Austin, that we can’t cover.

It’s the talent gap. Can’t blame it on anything other than talent. It’ll take 4 or 5 years to bring in the right guys to be able to deal with it.

Reactions: Lyndon
The pre-emptive “we got screwed!” Well done
Yep...getting ready for that excuse should they lose.....

But, let's look at last season.
Nebraska's penalties in their first 5 games before Northwestern:
Colorado- 11 for 95
Troy- 10 for 77
Michigan- 10 for 79
Purdue- 11 for 136
Wisconsin- 10 for 100
Average- 10.4 penalties per game for 97.4 yards

Northwestern's penalties through first 5 games before Nebraska:
Purdue- 6 for 56
Duke- 2 for 20
Akron- 3 for 35
Michigan- 2 for 25
Michigan St.- 3 for 35
Average- 3.2 penalties per game for 35 yards

Nebraska vs Northwestern 2018:
Nebraska- 9 for 89
Northwestern- 1 for 5

Seems to me that both teams hit their low in penalties for the season (up to that point, anyways) during that game......but the heck with logic, right?

I'm sure it was just an anti-Husker conspiracy involving several teams with several officiating crews over several weeks.

Of course, there's also......ACT averages:
Nebraska: 25
Northwestern: 33

Last edited:
Not sure where old Jim found these officiating crews but they are the worst in college football, especially Mike Cannon and his band of clowns.
ehhhhh I dunno. There's some really bad ones in the Pac 12 and Big 12

It’s written in the big ten football rule book only time you can call holding on a Nebraska opponent is last play before halftime so it’s basically meaningless

I made that same point on Saturday. Always can get a call when it's absolutely meaningless.

Yep...getting ready for that excuse should they lose.....

But, let's look at last season.
Nebraska's penalties in their first 5 games before Northwestern:
Colorado- 11 for 95
Troy- 10 for 77
Michigan- 10 for 79
Purdue- 11 for 136
Wisconsin- 10 for 100
Average- 10.4 penalties per game for 97.4 yards

Northwestern's penalties through first 5 games before Nebraska:
Purdue- 6 for 56
Duke- 2 for 20
Akron- 3 for 35
Michigan- 2 for 25
Michigan St.- 3 for 35
Average- 3.2 penalties per game for 35 yards

Nebraska vs Northwestern 2018:
Nebraska- 9 for 89
Northwestern- 1 for 5

Seems to me that both teams hit their low in penalties for the season (up to that point, anyways) during that game......but the heck with logic, right?

I'm sure it was just an anti-Husker conspiracy involving several teams with several officiating crews over several weeks.

Of course, there's also......ACT averages:
Nebraska: 25
Northwestern: 33

Yeah, I'm sure the NW football team avg a 33.

The worst part is it’s true. When the Huskers have gone almost two full years (actually it might have been OVER 2 full years I believe Matt Davison said on the radio) before a holding call was called against a Husker opponent. Something is just wrong or off. You can literally find holding on almost every down in college football and when it goes two full years without one holding call against a Husker opponent, that’s says a lot. Some group of refs aren’t even trying in that case.

You didn't like the Big 12 because you were getting screwed and now you think the Big Ten is screwing you. Where do you go from here the Big Sky.

of course a NON Husker fan would say that. Why would a Hawkeye fan want the refs to call a fair game for the Huskers, right? Then Iowa wouldn’t get the extra help when they played the Huskers...eh? Yep, I Thought so. Anyone with F_cking eyes can see the missed or blown calls. You have to be beyond bias not (or in this case “refuse”) to see it.

I have to ask, why do Iowa fans keep coming to the Husker boards, honestly? I can got months or even a year without going to Iowa’s board. There is really no point at all, NONE. So why is there so many of you Suckeye fans that come to our Husker board dam near daily? It’s quite sad and pathetic to be honest....being so obsessed with another team that you live on their board as much as you go to your own board. Hell you guys do the same on Twitter, you guys flock to Husker posts and constantly troll them...again...WHY?!?! It’s beyond pathetic when you’re THAT OBSESSED with another team you’re not a fan off. Just my 2 cents....

Last edited:
I don’t think the refs are dirty, I just think they are bad. I also have come to the realization that Pat Fitz and Paul Chryst have embraced this and make it part of their teaching.

And it’s not only Nebraska fans that notice this. Michigan fans have been screaming this too. The few times I’ve seen these teams get popped early for holding, they gotten beaten badly. They live and die by this. So if your the Husker coaching staff you do something about it. You know NW and Wisconsin are going to play dirty and you know the B1G refs are awful, so do something about it

Yeah, I'm sure the NW football team avg a 33.
Yeah, I'm sure the Nebraska football team averages 25....

I too doubt that Northwestern's FB teams averages 33. That was a school average....but I would bet good money that the average ACT of Northwestern's FB team is higher than Nebraska's....which still illustrates the point.

Go look up the average number of penalties per game by school over the last few seasons. Teams you will find repeatedly in the top 25% for fewest penalties....Rice, Georgia Tech, Army, Navy, Air Force, Duke, Northwestern, etc.

Now....care to comment on anything else I posted, besides the ACT score? Still think the Huskers were getting screwed, despite evidence to the contrary?

Last edited:
The worst part is it’s true. When the Huskers have gone almost two full years (actually it might have been OVER 2 full years I believe Matt Davison said on the radio) before a holding call was called against a Husker opponent. Something is just wrong or off. You can literally find holding on almost every down in college football and when it goes two full years without one holding call against a Husker opponent, that’s says a lot. Some group of refs aren’t even trying in that case.

of course a NON Husker fan would say that. Why would a Hawkeye fan want the refs to call a fair game for the Huskers, right? Then Iowa wouldn’t get the extra help when they played the Huskers...eh? Yep, I Thought so. Anyone with F_cking eyes can see the missed or blown calls. You have to be beyond bias not (or in this case “refuse”) to see it.

I have to ask, why do Iowa fans keep coming to the Husker boards, honestly? I can got months or even a year without going to Iowa’s board. There is really no point at all, NONE. So why is there so many of you Suckeye fans that come to our Husker board dam near daily? It’s quite sad and pathetic to be honest....being so obsessed with another team that you live on their board as much as you go to your own board. Hell you guys do the same on Twitter, you guys flock to Husker posts and constantly troll them...again...WHY?!?! It’s beyond pathetic when you’re THAT OBSESSED with another team you’re not a fan off. Just my 2 cents....

So basically you're saying that a Husker fan has to believe that they're always getting screwed by officials.

Sorry, but I have a hard time believing that Nebraska went 2 seasons without an opponent being called for holding. Throwing the BS flag on Matt Davison.

Are you one of those fans that think the Huskers would be 22x defending national champions if it weren't for the officials?

Yeah....Huskers fans complained about Big 8 officiating, Big 12 officiating, and now B1G officiating.

Tell us...why would officials be biased against a team that hasn't done anything in over 20 years?

I don’t think the refs are dirty, I just think they are bad. I also have come to the realization that Pat Fitz and Paul Chryst have embraced this and make it part of their teaching.

And it’s not only Nebraska fans that notice this. Michigan fans have been screaming this too. The few times I’ve seen these teams get popped early for holding, they gotten beaten badly. They live and die by this. So if your the Husker coaching staff you do something about it. You know NW and Wisconsin are going to play dirty and you know the B1G refs are awful, so do something about it
I think when you say you don't think the refs are dirty you are forgetting who is paying them and how much money is at stake for the conference if a team makes the playoff or a bigtime bowl game. I don't think there's any question that a team in contention for either of those things gets more calls. I see it every year. When Riley was having his one good year I thought we got some calls we normally didn't when playing a downtrodden conference foe as well. Follow the money. The B1G has a vested interest in doing everything they can to make sure their upper tier teams win. It's pure economics.

So basically you're saying that a Husker fan has to believe that they're always getting screwed by officials.

Sorry, but I have a hard time believing that Nebraska went 2 seasons without an opponent being called for holding. Throwing the BS flag on Matt Davison.

Are you one of those fans that think the Huskers would be 22x defending national champions if it weren't for the officials?

Yeah....Huskers fans complained about Big 8 officiating, Big 12 officiating, and now B1G officiating.

Tell us...why would officials be biased against a team that hasn't done anything in over 20 years?
So the statistic showed on a national broadcast was false? It was on TV during the Minnesota game last year. Yet, you are choosing to ignore it because you want to run your mouth and it doesn’t fit your asinine narrative. No one said we would win all the time or whatever other idiotic claim you are making. But you are right it’s probably the ACT scores of the linemen of all other B1G teams. Piss off.

As headcard already mentioned, it’s easily verifiable. YouTube nebraska’s Game with Minnesota last year and you will see the stat.

Yeah, I'm sure the Nebraska football team averages 25....

I too doubt that Northwestern's FB teams averages 33. That was a school average....but I would bet good money that the average ACT of Northwestern's FB team is higher than Nebraska's....which still illustrates the point.

Go look up the average number of penalties per game by school over the last few seasons. Teams you will find repeatedly in the top 25% for fewest penalties....Rice, Georgia Tech, Army, Navy, Air Force, Duke, Northwestern, etc.

Now....care to comment on anything else I posted, besides the ACT score? Still think the Huskers were getting screwed, despite evidence to the contrary?

Yes, I do. The evidence would be game tape, not ACT scores.

Reactions: headcard
Yes, I do. The evidence would be game tape, not ACT scores.
Tell you what.....I'll concede your point about the lack of holding penalties against Husker opponents, as I have too many other things to spend my time on besides watching a Nebraska-Minnesota game from whenever.

However, I challenge you to look up the average number of penalties per game by school. The ones you will constantly see in the top 25% for fewest penalties are schools like Duke, Vanderbilt, Army, Navy, Air Force, Northwestern, Rice, etc. That was my point regarding ACT scores--smart players tend to make fewer dumb penalties. Yes....I'm sure NW's football team doesn't have an average of 33 on their ACT. I'd also bet that Nebraska's average isn't 25.

I also clearly illustrated how Nebraska was averaging 10 penalties a game heading into last year's game against Northwestern (who was averaging 3 per game), and how both teams were flagged for their season low up to that point (9 for Nebraska, 1 for Northwestern)....ergo debunking the silly "bias" argument.

So the statistic showed on a national broadcast was false? It was on TV during the Minnesota game last year. Yet, you are choosing to ignore it because you want to run your mouth and it doesn’t fit your asinine narrative. No one said we would win all the time or whatever other idiotic claim you are making. But you are right it’s probably the ACT scores of the linemen of all other B1G teams. Piss off.
Let's see here....

I'll concede the point about holding penalties by opponents. I have better things to do that watch a Nebraska-Minnesota game from whenever.

However, other points I have made:

1) Husker fans complaining about officiating bias, regardless of conference. I don't know how old you are, but Husker fans during the Big 8 era also complained.

2) I have asked for reasons as to why officials would be biased against a team that has done nothing in the last 20 years in favor of teams that have done even less. No response from anyone.

3) I have shown how both Nebraska and Northwestern were flagged last season below what had been their season average up to that point.

4) Invited people to research penalties per game by team, in which one would see that the least penalized teams tend to be teams like Army, Navy, Air Force, Vanderbilt, Rice, and Northwestern...hence the comment about ACT scores.

Your well-thought out, thoroughly researched reply was.....piss off.

Thank you for letting us know that you have no intelligent argument or counter-point to the above. Much appreciated.

Reactions: Farleyhawk
Let's see here....

I'll concede the point about holding penalties by opponents. I have better things to do that watch a Nebraska-Minnesota game from whenever.

1) Husker fans complaining about officiating bias, regardless of conference. I don't know how old you are, but Husker fans during the Big 8 era also complained.

2) I have asked for reasons as to why officials would be biased against a team that has done nothing in the last 20 years in favor of teams that have done even less. No response from anyone.

3) I have shown how both Nebraska and Northwestern were flagged last season below what had been their season average up to that point.

4) Invited people to research penalties per game by team, in which one would see that the least penalized teams tend to be teams like Army, Navy, Air Force, Vanderbilt, Rice, and Northwestern...hence the comment about ACT scores.

Thank you for letting us know that you have no intelligent argument or counter-point to the above. Much appreciated.

Dude, you are a dork.

I am going to help you out...all fans bitch about flags on their team...all fans also think their team doesn't do anything wrong.

No one is going to research stuff, this is a message board.

Let's see here....

Get a life dude.

Tell you what.....I'll concede your point about the lack of holding penalties against Husker opponents, as I have too many other things to spend my time on besides watching a Nebraska-Minnesota game from whenever.

However, I challenge you to look up the average number of penalties per game by school. The ones you will constantly see in the top 25% for fewest penalties are schools like Duke, Vanderbilt, Army, Navy, Air Force, Northwestern, Rice, etc. That was my point regarding ACT scores--smart players tend to make fewer dumb penalties. Yes....I'm sure NW's football team doesn't have an average of 33 on their ACT. I'd also bet that Nebraska's average isn't 25.

I also clearly illustrated how Nebraska was averaging 10 penalties a game heading into last year's game against Northwestern (who was averaging 3 per game), and how both teams were flagged for their season low up to that point (9 for Nebraska, 1 for Northwestern)....ergo debunking the silly "bias" argument.
How is throwing the flag against Nebraska 9 times instead of the season average of 10 debunking anything?

seriously, I’m missing your point here. I get that smarter players make fewer penalties. Fine. I get that. But what did the northwestern game debunk again?

Dude, you are a dork.

I am going to help you out...all fans bitch about flags on their team...all fans also think their team doesn't do anything wrong.

No one is going to research stuff, this is a message board.
You must have missed it when I was told to watch an old Husker game for one graphic that appeared during a 3+ hour long broadcast. Apparently I was supposed to research something.

Reactions: TarheelHuskerFan
You must have missed it when I was told to watch an old Husker game for one graphic that appeared during a 3+ hour long broadcast. Apparently I was supposed to research something.
Don’t be an idiot. You refused to accept a verifiable fact, hence, were told to look it up. No one told you to watch the game until you stupidly pretended it didn’t happen.

How is throwing the flag against Nebraska 9 times instead of the season average of 10 debunking anything?

seriously, I’m missing your point here. I get that smarter players make fewer penalties. Fine. I get that. But what did the northwestern game debunk again?
The point is that there wasn't any bias against Nebraska last year in the Northwestern game.

Reactions: cmhawks99
The point is that there wasn't any bias against Nebraska last year in the Northwestern game.
How does 9 flags instead of 10 prove that? What a weak argument. I could easily say they threw 8 more flags on Nebraska as proof, but it doesn’t prove anything. We could easily be more disciplined and reduce the yellow hankies.

But to claim the northwestern game as evidence that the refs don’t have it in for Nebraska is stupid.
You may be right, but you have failed to show evidence of this in the weak argument you made. “Nebraska was only flagged 9 times, which is below their average, therefore there is no bias against Nebraska.”

What?

ADVERTISEMENT