ADVERTISEMENT

NU's fumbled the bag on NIL

salsa red

Junior
Dec 25, 2019
Didn't know NU was so bad on NIL, I thought we were supposed to be leaders with the fan support. Seems like the higher up administration at the university can't tie their own shoes without falling over.

First, this article is all over the place. First Nebraska doesn't have NIL money. Then Nebraska should do better with NIL money. Then Nebraska is in the bottom half while ignoring limited recruits others got. Our day yesterday is probably somewhere in between totally amazing and doomsday.

What it does point out is this. It's going to be tough telling how well teams are doing. Some will kill it on signing day with frosh. Others will have the strategy like Fickel of taking a limited number of frosh but heavily rely on the portal. No longer will signing day be the tell-tale sign of how a team is recruiting. It will be one point of many.

I really hated Davison’s comments about doing that building project first so all the donors couldn’t just chose NIL. The AD is flush with cash and football is the money maker, they should take on projects like this to free up donors to donate to NIL.

I don’t know where the line is , but we should try to push donating to NIL by the fans as much as possible. Free admission to the Spring Game with a free will donation to 1890. Waive some season ticket fees, with donation to 1890, etc.

I'd be curious exactly how deep TAMU donors pockets really are. Say they really spend 35M on a recruiting class. Can they realistically do this every year? Its such ridiculous amounts of money that I honestly don't know.
What I need to find out is how to make such large sums of money that I can also start buying recruits.

Wasn’t there another site that had us in the Top 5?
If only we had a NILbagAnalyst_National to give us her thoughts
I think that site’s ranking was based on last year’s situation. Things changed dramatically this past year when coaches openly talked about the millions they needed to compete.

I really hated Davison’s comments about doing that building project first so all the donors couldn’t just chose NIL. The AD is flush with cash and football is the money maker, they should take on projects like this to free up donors to donate to NIL.

I don’t know where the line is , but we should try to push donating to NIL by the fans as much as possible. Free admission to the Spring Game with a free will donation to 1890. Waive some season ticket fees, with donation to 1890, etc.
We really needed to upgrade the Football facilities, I get that things needed to be upgraded tremendously..

But of all people how did Matt Davidson become the President for 1890? especially the things I’ve been hearing some of his involvement with SF….Go figure..

Long before this NIL the best fund raiser Nebraska had was Paul Meyers who Eichorst let go the year he fired Pelin… But that’s another story that made no sense what so ever..

We really needed to upgrade the Football facilities, I get that things needed to be upgraded tremendously..

But of all people how did Matt Davidson become the President for 1890? especially the things I’ve been hearing some of his involvement with SF….Go figure..

Long before this NIL the best fund raiser Nebraska had was Paul Meyers who Eichorst let go the year he fired Pelin… But that’s another story that made no sense what so ever..

The facilities project had to happen. I just wish the AD had financed it, and put the $150M+ in donations towards NIL.

I'd be curious exactly how deep TAMU donors pockets really are. Say they really spend 35M on a recruiting class. Can they realistically do this every year? Its such ridiculous amounts of money that I honestly don't know.
What I need to find out is how to make such large sums of money that I can also start buying recruits.
Unsustainable indeed. Especially if a team like A&M keeps losing even though they have every reason not to be winning.

Is 35 million really that big of a figure? 1400 people at an average of 25k per year. Doesn't seem all that difficult for a school like A&M.

I have surmised all along, just based on common sense, it would be difficult to compete nationally with NIL money. I don't know why it was automatically assumed the Huskers would be a top program in that area - based on what?

Reactions: dinglefritz

Yep, engage the fans, make them feel part of this. We'll buy in, literally.

The catch 😂

Didn't know NU was so bad on NIL, I thought we were supposed to be leaders with the fan support. Seems like the higher up administration at the university can't tie their own shoes without falling over.

Wait, I thought we were told Trey Palmer refused NIL deals.

“According to On3 sports, Nebraska only had one player on the top 100 for NIL dollars, and that was Trey Palmer.”

Davison is tight with the Peeds...who were also tight/supporters of our previous coach.

Yes. Yes they did.

Plus, A&M and UT are funded by oil money (from land grants, iirc). They are the only 2 universities in Texas who benefit from this. Add to that extremely wealthy alumni bases, and a deep passion for all things football, and viola...money flows like water at those 2 schools.

Reactions: BleedRed78

LOTS of room for creativity here. Nebraska will never compete with the top dogs on NIL alone, however, they do have the ability to assemble a "NIL plus" approach. Shore up NIL by optimizing it beyond where it is today...AND create value beyond NIL (non-qualifier assistance, academic assistance, housing, mental health focus, superb post graduation support, other alumni services, etc., etc.).

I think Nebraska will do above average nil wise, because NU football is the only legit sport in the state.
where other states are alot more deluded with sports.
if I'm in kansas I'd go see a cheifs game long before a mild cat game..
and if I'm in texas I'd rather go see a tcu game before a horns or dallas game...

I think rhule should run the nil stuff on the weekends, cause I don't want davison messing it up.

• Haha
Reactions: LonghornInOmaha
I think Nebraska will do above average nil wise, because NU football is the only legit sport in the state.
and if I'm in texas I'd rather go see a tcu game before a horns or dallas game...

I think rhule should run the nil stuff on the weekends, cause I don't want davison messing it up.
What's wrong with the Cowboys? At least they're going to the playoffs this year. Plus I'd rather watch Baylor than TCU. Didn't the frogs just recently get added to the big 12?

What's wrong with the Cowboys?
what isn't wrong with them? neon deon, mikey irving, bury switzer, jimmy johnson....etc...
landry, stauback and aikmen were ok, I guess...
Huskers = America's team...

Last edited:

Rhule ready has enough on his plate, he doesn't need to run NIL.

Rhule ready has enough on his plate, he doesn't need to run NIL.
I don't know, rhule seems to fuction pretty fast..
frost spent alot of time whineing, and bo spent alot of time being phsyco....where rhule just seems to be all bout time management...and getten er done...

it's like me out working 10 folks at work..it's not a big deal..for some
some people only do about 15 minutes of acctuall work each week, and need to be properly challenged.

Last edited:
LOTS of room for creativity here. Nebraska will never compete with the top dogs on NIL alone, however, they do have the ability to assemble a "NIL plus" approach. Shore up NIL by optimizing it beyond where it is today...AND create value beyond NIL (non-qualifier assistance, academic assistance, housing, mental health focus, superb post graduation support, other alumni services, etc., etc.).
It all sounds good to an adult, but what about an 18 year old kid. Since I don't know, I will have to guess that nearly every major college will have this same package to some degree or another. It boils down to money, the tangible thing, not the intangibles they may never need.

I’m sure nut-hanger Davison will greatly improve things…… hahaha. What a complete turd

ABM was run by Frost's high school buddy. The organization was dead the second Frost was gone. And should probably have been done regardless. But the donor pool of local businesses pledging resources was the bedrock of the organization and I believe they have all pretty much just transitioned those resources to a better and more stable organization in BRC. BRC is run by Bill Gerber the former CEO of TD Ameritrade and his team. I think they also merged with AIM as well, AIM is/was the collective run by Ralph Castner the CFO of Cabella's that handled most of the Husker hoops NIL stuff.

Basically just merging three of the biggest Husker collectives Into one big one with a really good group of buisness people running it rather than a bunch of independent ones, one of which being a $4.5 million dollar pool of money managed by highschool friends of the former football coach with no ties to the program.

Reactions: king_kong_
Again, I think context is important when discussing attempts to accurately quantify a program’s NIL proclivities

Due to the nature of NIL and the fact any single private citizen with access to a business owner (front) can now legally cut a check directly to a player, there will always be massive & and unpredictable swings annually

I understand trying to quantify the collectives, which probably have to keep some semblance of books, but basing rankings off that alone is a fool’s errand

@headcard Really good ideas and I agree with them all, but not sure the U can actively participate like that (free spring game, etc)

Reactions: headcard
If Buffet gave the same proportion of his net worth as you or I, we could fund a massive NIL in perpuity just from the earnings.

And with the transfer rules, it's a bad strategy to focus NIL on all but a few high school players. The portal is squeezing those opportunities and money is better spent on keeping your top performers and getting other transfers that are more of a proven commodity.

ABM was run by Frost's high school buddy. The organization was dead the second Frost was gone. And should probably have been done regardless. But the donor pool of local businesses pledging resources was the bedrock of the organization and I believe they have all pretty much just transitioned those resources to a better and more stable organization in BRC. BRC is run by Bill Gerber the former CEO of TD Ameritrade and his team. I think they also merged with AIM as well, AIM is/was the collective run by Ralph Castner the CFO of Cabella's that handled most of the Husker hoops NIL stuff.

Basically just merging three of the biggest Husker collectives Into one big one with a really good group of buisness people running it rather than a bunch of independent ones, one of which being a $4.5 million dollar pool of money managed by highschool friends of the former football coach with no ties to the program.
Excellent post, didn’t know most of that

people erroneously assume that huge conference payouts/Athletic dept revenue translate into NIL money

NIL and athletic department money are mutually exclusive

NIL comes from wealthy boosters, fans and local/state businesses - of which Nebraska being a small ag state without a bunch of professional programs that pump out multimillionaires may be limited

I would say Nebraska's fan base probably cares more than many about football results and therefore may be more willing to donate their money rather than saving it for a rainy day

Creighton may be better suited with NIL in that they can focus all their money on a few basketball players and not have to dilute it in a football program

If Buffet gave the same proportion of his net worth as you or I, we could fund a massive NIL in perpuity just from the earnings.

And with the transfer rules, it's a bad strategy to focus NIL on all but a few high school players. The portal is squeezing those opportunities and money is better spent on keeping your top performers and getting other transfers that are more of a proven commodity.
buffet is busy spending money on planned parenthood, alphabet agenda, biden fentenal flow, etc...to reduce the population...he doesn't care about nil...

It all sounds good to an adult, but what about an 18 year old kid. Since I don't know, I will have to guess that nearly every major college will have this same package to some degree or another. It boils down to money, the tangible thing, not the intangibles they may never need.
You're forgetting the kids parents who this just also appeal to...

• Love
Reactions: king_kong_
people erroneously assume that huge conference payouts/Athletic dept revenue translate into NIL money

NIL and athletic department money are mutually exclusive

NIL comes from wealthy boosters, fans and local/state businesses - of which Nebraska being a small ag state without a bunch of professional programs that pump out multimillionaires may be limited

I would say Nebraska's fan base probably cares more than many about football results and therefore may be more willing to donate their money rather than saving it for a rainy day

Creighton may be better suited with NIL in that they can focus all their money on a few basketball players and not have to dilute it in a football program
hit the nail on the head again, Redmich

Reactions: Redmich
You're forgetting the kids parents who this just also appeal to...
this point and this point alone (in my opinion) is a legitimate concern with regards to NIL

kids who earn money based on their hard work deserve it & can do with it what they'd like. most are infinitely more mature and responsible than the adults who clutch their pearls over it

parents who essentially see a talented kid as a retirement plan are scumbags and can royally F up a ton of stuff both with their kid and programs who get too enamored with them

we see this all the time in the entertainment industry and it's horrible

Buffet loves Husker football but won’t spend a dime on it. However, people in charge need to think creatively. Who does business with Hathaway? Basically everyone. Get them so spend money on local commercials with football Husker players to catch his attention. You dam well know Buffet has all of the cable news and market channels going all day in his office. Putting a Husker kid in local commercials on these channels might get him to look up from his desk and pay attention. Advertising is for a target market. Sometime that target can be a lot of people or a select group. The outside sources that want Buffers attention and use for Husker players to help catch that attention is endless and much cheaper then most people are willing to spend

Reactions: BleedRed78
ADVERTISEMENT