ADVERTISEMENT

NU's biggest rival?

A rival is formed. Not named. With that in mind, what actually defines a rivalry? My opinion is there are three things that define a rivalry.

1. Time
2. Mutual respect/hatred
3. Series record not being lopsided one way or the other

We are so new to the Big Ten that we have not really met 1 and 2.

These 3 factors are also a big reason why many of us only consider OU as our rival. They check off all 3 boxes.

I think our rival should be South Dakota State or Wyoming. Obviously geography and the chance to be competitive are keys. Why would we choose a regional neighbor we can't beat like Minnesota, Iowa or CU?

CU or OU. No one in the B1G really. For the younger generation, I am sure that will change.

Northwestern, and it isnt even close with anybody else.

Hey all, first ever post here. Ive been lurking for several years now, and finally decided to create an account due to this thread.

I 100% agree with the above. I dont believe we have any true rival in the B1G yet except NW. There are several reasons we should embrace this if we are indeed to remain in the B1G (of which I am a fan of the idea, even though its a good ol boys club, its not like the Big 12 which was single handedly corrupted by Texas and Texas money...)

-Has naturally formed throughout our time since being in the conference

-They are a fellow West division foe, having played them just about every season so far

-We play each other close every single year, always giving each other a good game regardless of whos good or bad any given year

-Unlike many rivalries that have formed over the decades/centuries, this one seems much more based on a mutual respect of each others programs. Kinda cool imo

-Last but not least, theyre also "NU". Easily a fun battle over who is the "real" NU (us obviously of course, but its adds to the fun of a given rivalry right?)

Anyways, those are my thoughts on the whole rivalry thing. Id like to say Iowa, but I hate to give them that much credit even though theyve had our number the past few years. Theyre still our jealous little brother types who love being so average year in and year out....

Wisconsin...case could be made, but we havent really played them like it yet. We'll see over time though I guess.

Maybe Mich St? We always play up to their level it seems, but we usually win our games against them. They dont occur very often however since theyre in the East.

Id love to see the NU vs NU thing develop even more than it has over the years. I guess we'll see as time plays out!

Iowa would say their biggest rival is Wisconsin. Maybe Minnesota after that... Nebraska is a fish outta water like the previous poster said. It’s going to take years for real rivals to develop.

Are you certain Nebraska could beat SDSU or Wyo? :D

Interesting. I actually watched WY on tv this weekend. You can definetly see the NU influence from HC Craig Bohl. They were playing a terrible team (New Mexico) but play very disciplined football, run heavy with a tough defense. Not sure about a rivalry with them, maybe many years ago when Devaney left WY to come to NU? Also not enough games between them.

You could write a psychiatric thesis on why so many Nebraska fans refuse to acknowledge Iowa as our rival.

It’s Iowa.
If it goes this way for 20 more years, you might have a point. I dunno, I still get pissed off if we lose to CU and would have a melt down losing to KSU :p I mean, to me, I am more pissed that we lost twice to CU than anything that has happened under HCSF :p B1G teams, not so much. Shrug. For younger fans, like my kids, that didn't grow up in that culture and time, I get that they are going to have new rivalries and maybe that is NW, Iowa, Wisc, etc. I just don't hate those teams. In fact, I before we were in the B1G, I pulled for those teams when they played.

My point is that there is no “agreement” as to the rivalry. Would Iowa say today we are their biggest rival? Eventually I see that - but probably not yet.

Michigan - Ohio State
Auburn - Alabama
USC - UCLA
OU - Texas

Reactions: dand84
I think it's Sparty in the sense that we always play well against them. Usually a good game.
Ourselves. We seem to be about 50/50 against them. Get ourselves figured out and we'll be a better team

I actually think the NW vs. NU game is developing into a rivalry, but their fan base probably won't ever make it ugly. The games are always entertaining.
Yah, I've ridden the bus twice now with NW fans before and after our home games. They are a nice bunch. We always play each other close and they are entertaining games much as I dislike many of the results.

Don't sell NU short with NW as a rival, the Cornhuskers deserve better than that. Maybe recent games have been close but historically NW is an embarrassment to the B1G and should be no one's rival. The history of the 2 programs would say NU should never consider NW a rival.

In terms of the west the only two that should be considered are Iowa and Wisconsin. Historically Iowa is probably closest to NU in terms of success, particularly over the last 30 years or so and the border state generates a little more tension to the game. Wisconsin has been the better program since NU joined the B1G but still does not match up historically and the head to head match ups have been fairly one sided.

If (when?) NU gets back to where they should be NW is not who you want as a rival in the B1G.

Reactions: BleedRed78
Don't sell NU short with NW as a rival, the Cornhuskers deserve better than that. Maybe recent games have been close but historically NW is an embarrassment to the B1G and should be no one's rival. The history of the 2 programs would say NU should never consider NW a rival.

In terms of the west the only two that should be considered are Iowa and Wisconsin. Historically Iowa is probably closest to NU in terms of success, particularly over the last 30 years or so and the border state generates a little more tension to the game. Wisconsin has been the better program since NU joined the B1G but still does not match up historically and the head to head match ups have been fairly one sided.

If (when?) NU gets back to where they should be NW is not who you want as a rival in the B1G.

Idk, I guess I dont view things like that. I respect NW and the disciplined style of football they play there. They make due with much lower recruiting classes than most of the B1G, yet compete nearly year in and year out. When they lose, its often by very little to powerhouses.

Plus, the fact that they're one of the very original B1G teams ever, could actually help lend some credence to legitimize NU place in the conference.

I will say though, Iowa is much more the natural rival, being border states and all. We'll see if(when!) we start beating them in order to spawn even more competition between the two. Iowa owning us the past few years makes for very little of a rivalry unfortunately. Even though we're historically the more dominant team and recognized brand, Iowa has been stout most of the years NU's been struggling. Iowa looks to Wisconsin to make a rival, because you set your aims high to beat the top dog to become it. We did just that with Oklahoma, and Colorado did that with us. If we can get good again, put Iowa down a few games in the series, them maybe we can see the juices of a rivalry begin to flow (beyond mere fans talking crap to each other at work and whatnot).

Yo don't chose rivalries, but the realistic candidates are:

Penn St., Iowa, NW, Wisconsin. I lean towards Penn St. as we are pretty similar in a lot of ways. Haven't always been in the Big 10, have a lot of history and no real defined rival currently inside the Big 10.

I think it's Sparty in the sense that we always play well against them. Usually a good game.
I have said there are different definition of rival. We have nobody currently in the BIG that is an Oklahoma type rival. Mainly because we haven't been great to holdup our end. Iowa will never be good enough to come close to Oklahoma rival. Now they are are most definitely CU level of a rival. Wisconsin comes the closest in our division currently. I think all our hopes is that Ohio St will be our Oklahoma level rival.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT