ADVERTISEMENT

NU takes 3 of 4 from Purdue to open the Baseball season.

easily could have been a sweep. Man we left a lot of guys on base Friday.

Yes sir, we had what, 15 hits on Friday. We left a lot of guys stranded on base. Maybe first game jitters? At least we picked up since Friday. We beat Purdue 21 to 2 (and shutting them out in back to back games) during those 3 games. It was a good come back. Bring on OSU and Iowa....GBR

Last edited:
I wonder if Big Ten baseball coaches like how things are now compared to before the Big Ten Network came around.

I know they make tons more money but Big Ten baseball coaches basically had a dream job for years. There was no pressure, did any of those guys ever get canned?

I just checked, Purdue had 3 coaches that basically stayed 40 years and were right at 500.

I wonder if Big Ten baseball coaches like how things are now compared to before the Big Ten Network came around.

I know they make tons more money but Big Ten baseball coaches basically had a dream job for years. There was no pressure, did any of those guys ever get canned?

I just checked, Purdue had 3 coaches that basically stayed 40 years and were right at 500.

why should there be any pressure on any big ten baseball coach to have a nationally relevant program

the big ten is not a major conference for baseball - it is a midmajor

the big has not had a baseball national champion since 1966
there have only been ~ 3 teams make the college world series in the last 34-35 years
Michigan made the finals in 2019- perhaps things are changing but this is likely an anomaly - like Loyola making the finals in the basketball tourney

the average conference RPI is 8.9 over the last 10 years - this would slot as the sunbelt or conf USA in football

using the NCAA basketball tournament as a metric - how would you describe a conference that has only had 3 teams qualify for the elite 8 in the past 34-35 years?

Neb made a conscious decision to devalue baseball by joining the big

it is mid level college baseball -

Last edited:
why should there be any pressure on any big ten baseball coach to have a nationally relevant program

the big has not had a baseball national champion since 1966
there have only been ~ 3 teams make the college world series in the last 34-35 years
Michigan made the finals in 2018 - perhaps things are changing but this is likely an anomaly - like Loyola making the finals in the basketball tourney

the average conference RPI is 8.9 over the last 10 years - this would slot as the sunbelt or conf USA in football

using the NCAA basketball tournament as a metric - how would you describe a conference that has only had 3 teams qualify for the elite 8 in the past 34-35 years?

Neb made a conscious decision to devalue baseball by joining the big

it is mid level college baseball -

Trust me, I agree with all of that. Which is why I feel like they hate it now because theses coaches actually get canned.

Jlb321, you know damn well the biggest obstacle is weather, always was always will be...There is no denying the Big10 isn’t as powerful as the Big12,ACC, SEC and PAC 12 but since Nebraska has joined the conference baseball has been taken more seriously than before...

One other thing that is holding the conference back is the leadership in the conference not wanting to play non conference games during the week is ridiculous but this conference is no longer mid level college baseball...

Reactions: dinglefritz
Jlb321, you know damn well the biggest obstacle is weather, always was always will be...There is no denying the Big10 isn’t as powerful as the Big12,ACC, SEC and PAC 12 but since Nebraska has joined the conference baseball has been taken more seriously than before...

One other thing that is holding the conference back is the leadership in the conference not wanting to play non conference games during the week is ridiculous but this conference is no longer mid level college baseball...

of course its the weather .... that doesn't change what I posted -- the big is a mid major baseball conference

they can prove otherwise with consistent representation in the CWS - making to the final 4 - winning national titles -etc ... until then the facts support my premise

few serious baseball prospects are going to be interested in playing collegiate baseball any where other than in climates that are conducive to year round play

I was just asking if they like it better now (more money for their salary) or before, less cash for them but they never had to worry about getting canned.

of course its the weather .... that doesn't change what I posted -- the big is a mid major baseball conference

they can prove otherwise with consistent representation in the CWS - making to the final 4 - winning national titles -etc ... until then the facts support my premise

few serious baseball prospects are going to be interested in playing collegiate baseball any where other than in climates that are conducive to year round play

First off, you have to host a regional that usually is the first big step then after winning that you must win 2 of 3 in a super reg which Michigan accomplished thank you very much..

NCAA hasn’t given Big 10 teams any regionals since I can remember since 2012..

Ex Nebraska Jake Meyers I believe is on the triple AAA Houston Astro’s roster.. I might add..

First off, you have to host a regional that usually is the first big step then after winning that you must win 2 of 3 in a super reg which Michigan accomplished thank you very much..

Ex Nebraska Jake Meyers I believe is on the triple AAA Houston Astro’s roster.. I might add..

as is common you are citing exceptions to the rule or outliers rather than the facts

what Michigan accomplished has only happened 3 times in the last 30+ years - time will tell if it is an outlier or a new trend - but at present given the historic data it can only be described as an outlier

linked is a list of top 20 1st round MLB draft choices by school since 1967

the SEC, PAC12, B12, ACC are all listed
so are the American, mountain west, big west, and c-usa conferences

no big ten

where is the big ten???????

Minnesota hosted and won a regional in 2018, beat UCLA in finals. Of course then they had the pleasure of playing #1 seed Oregon State in supers and lost. Your point is still valid.

Besides the weather, it would help the B1G coaches immensely if they didn't have to abide by the no more than 3 oversigns for recruiting in baseball. That's putting a restriction on them that other conferences don't have. So stupid.

Besides the weather, it would help the B1G coaches immensely if they didn't have to abide by the no more than 3 oversigns for recruiting in baseball. That's putting a restriction on them that other conferences don't have. So stupid.

Another good point.. This conferce certainly doesn’t help itself out competing with the other conference by the same rules not mention having to play in worse conditions ..

I was just asking if they like it better now (more money for their salary) or before, less cash for them but they never had to worry about getting canned.
Coaches would probably rather worry about getting canned than about their program being eliminated completely, which is a very real concern in conferences with lower revenues.

Reactions: dinglefritz
as is common you are citing exceptions to the rule or outliers rather than the facts

what Michigan accomplished has only happened 3 times in the last 30+ years - time will tell if it is an outlier or a new trend - but at present given the historic data it can only be described as an outlier

linked is a list of top 20 1st round MLB draft choices by school since 1967

the SEC, PAC12, B12, ACC are all listed
so are the American, mountain west, big west, and c-usa conferences

no big ten

where is the big ten???????
What's your point? No one is arguing with you. No one asked the question that you are answering again and again and again. I know its your MO to just shit on everything Nebraska (or really, anything tangentially related to Nebraska) but it gets weird when you seem to be talking to yourself. Again, just for the record, no one is debating with you whether the BIG is a great baseball conference.

Reactions: scarletred
Coaches would probably rather worry about getting canned than about their program being eliminated completely, which is a very real concern in conferences with lower revenues.
Yeah, that is a good point. That probably doesn't matter a ton in the Big Ten but if an AD in the conference were looking to save some cash, cutting baseball would probably be one place they look.

What's your point? No one is arguing with you. No one asked the question that you are answering again and again and again. I know its your MO to just shit on everything Nebraska (or really, anything tangentially related to Nebraska) but it gets weird when you seem to be talking to yourself. Again, just for the record, no one is debating with you whether the BIG is a great baseball conference.

the above exchange would suggest that some level of disagreement exists as to the status of big as a baseball conference

Last edited:
Scarlet specifically said, "There is no denying the Big10 isn’t as powerful as the Big12,ACC, SEC and PAC 12 but since Nebraska has joined the conference baseball has been taken more seriously than before..." He didn't say it's a great baseball conference, just better than it used to be.

Here's a question for you since you love doing research and quoting stuff, why don't you review your posting history and figure out the last time you said anything remotely positive about Nebraska, or anything about Nebraska sports that excites you at all. How about out of your last 100 posts, how many were positive in nature at all? How does it feel to be the most hated poster on this board? That's pretty high status considering how many trolls we have.

Scarlet specifically said, "There is no denying the Big10 isn’t as powerful as the Big12,ACC, SEC and PAC 12 but since Nebraska has joined the conference baseball has been taken more seriously than before..." He didn't say it's a great baseball conference, just better than it used to be.

Here's a question for you since you love doing research and quoting stuff, why don't you review your posting history and figure out the last time you said anything remotely positive about Nebraska, or anything about Nebraska sports that excites you at all. How about out of your last 100 posts, how many were positive in nature at all? How does it feel to be the most hated poster on this board? That's pretty high status considering how many trolls we have.

and I specifically stated that the big was a mid major baseball conference
to which the poster in question specifically replied the conference is no longer mid level

there appears to be some disagreement -- thus the discussion - do you have anything of substance to contribute that might lend itself to the dialogue regarding the status of the big as a baseball conference?

Last edited:

Don’t even bother with this request... jlb will never do it. His goal is to make Nebraska look bad, not himself.

The irony is that with every post he makes he makes himself look bad. A little self-reflection could actually help him. But he’s content in his role as resident troll.

and I specifically stated that the big was a mid major baseball conference
to which the poster in question specifically replied the conference is no longer mid level

there appears to be some disagreement -- thus the discussion - do you have anything of substance to contribute that might lend itself to the dialogue regarding the status of the big as a baseball conference?
So you couldn't find any history of you actually posting anything positive, could you? By all means, please continue your miserable existence on this board. For the record, I think you're the dweeb that looks for any tiny reason to pounce on anything someone says around here and relishes picking other's posts apart. Regardless of what Scarlet said about mid level he said he knows we're not among the top baseball conferences that he listed. And you know he knows it. Why is this so important to you to beat him over the head with it? Have you ever just let anything go in your life? Ever?

According to him he would say that even if a Big 10 team makes the CWS..

Before Covid besides Arkansas and a very few Big 12 teams, nobody from the SEC or ACC wants to come up North in March and April to play Big 10 schools... The conference is hand cuffed not that it’s conceived to be a 🙄mid major baseball conference

So you couldn't find any history of you actually posting anything positive, could you? By all means, please continue your miserable existence on this board. For the record, I think you're the dweeb that looks for any tiny reason to pounce on anything someone says around here and relishes picking other's posts apart. Regardless of what Scarlet said about mid level he said he knows we're not among the top baseball conferences that he listed. And you know he knows it. Why is this so important to you to beat him over the head with it? Have you ever just let anything go in your life? Ever?

ad hominem attacks and name-calling are the lowest forms of discourse
it is what one resorts to when they are unable to effectively refute a premise they find uncomfortable

Last edited:
it is what one resorts to when they are unable to effectively refute a premise they find uncomfortable
I know, it's the same thing you've said before whenever anyone tries to engage you on why you do what you do here. You're not able to refute the premise that you never post anything positive about Nebraska, and if anyone else does you delight in cutting them down. Nothing I've said is untrue.

I would counter by saying it is a form of cowardice to never answer questions posed to you that are too challenging…

ADVERTISEMENT