ADVERTISEMENT

NU job = Diamond in the rough

Redmich

Senior
Jun 21, 2022
Trev thinks this job is the equivalent of a 2 star recruit with offers from the MAC

Interesting quote. It could mean that he is indeed having trouble finding positive feedback for the job. But then again, if that were true, I doubt he would admit that in so many words for public consumption. I think all he means is what the words actually mean and there is no hidden message or subtext. I think it is his way of saying that he is confident we are going to land a really good coach who is a good fit for us since the job is still an attractive one if you get beyond the failures of the past 8 years and look at the program in its totality. Great new facilities. Great, great fan base. Big ass stadium sold out every game. In the B1G. Traditional blue blood. A hero's status if you come here and turn it around. Big salary with lots of incentives and perks. And Lincoln is a much cooler city than most realize until they get there.

I think this is a positive message from Trev and not some hidden signal that he is having trouble finding a coach.

Interesting quote. It could mean that he is indeed having trouble finding positive feedback for the job. But then again, if that were true, I doubt he would admit that in so many words for public consumption. I think all he means is what the words actually mean and there is no hidden message or subtext. I think it is his way of saying that he is confident we are going to land a really good coach who is a good fit for us since the job is still an attractive one if you get beyond the failures of the past 8 years and look at the program in its totality. Great new facilities. Great, great fan base. Big ass stadium sold out every game. In the B1G. Traditional blue blood. A hero's status if you come here and turn it around. Big salary with lots of incentives and perks. And Lincoln is a much cooler city than most realize until they get there.

I think this is a positive message from Trev and not some hidden signal that he is having trouble finding a coach.
It’s an odd choice of words.

After a decade+ of recruiting hype the fan base has an extremely intense “Diamond in the rough - eye roll” reflex

Reactions: SuperBigFan
Very few qualified candidates want to work for trev with his track record. He was shut down last year and he will fail this year
tenor.gif

Well, it's honestly a breath of fresh air considering the con artist that Scotty-2-Arrogant was. The truth is that right now, we are lacking everything. We have zero identity, a definite lack of talent, barely any depth, and a common misunderstanding of what Nebraska Football is. Yes, Trev lived it while playing for us back in the 90s. So did Frost. Does Trev have an idea of where he wants to go? I'm sure he would like to think so. Where will that lead? Yet to be determined. But with Frost at the helm, it led to constant lack of adjustments on both sides of the football, especially in the O and D line, and lack of technique and very little coaching of fundamental football all the while him thinking he could just outscore you. Not to mention, tackling, what a good job of that we've done. So what now? It's a crap shoot.

Diamond in the rough? No, it's not. It's the University of Nebraska. I agree with Trev that the U of Nebraska will always be bigger than just one person and it has to stay that way. I believe in this simple saying also: "the game is won in the trenches." Well, we have been getting "railroaded" in the trenches for awhile on both sides of the ball. So give me an actual HC who can put an emphasis on old school technique in the run blocking game and the pass blocking game and recruit some O line players that can move their feet and get off the football quickly while taking ground from a defender. We don't just need 6-8 340 lb stiffs that stand straight up like pencils, can't bend their pins and get blown back in our qb's face because they can't move their feet or get off the football. A lineman having to constantly give ground to stay with a more athletic defensive player spells trouble.

Diamond in the Rough you say? Nah, Nebraska used to always be a place for tough guys that could play. But we haven't had that mentality for a while on either side of the ball. Ever since Bo's departure, the diamond in the rough mentality for Nebraska is more like a bad recipe - one that would make you run to the restroom clinching your cheeks together cuz the stuff you consumed wasn't prepared correctly. Yes, you guessed it, the mentality smells like a porta-john restroom. Yes, many of you will say, oh look, Melvin Gordon or Jonathon Taylor just scored again. Yes, well, that's not Georgia Southern in Lincoln putting north of 600 yards on us winning the game and then losing the next week to a conference opponent is it? Pry not.

Again, Diamond in the Rough? Nah, until the narrative and message changes and the program gets back to caring about winning the battle in the trenches first on both sides of the ball, we are going to be Porta-john restroom dwellers. And as you all guessed, that will stink terrible. SMH

Reactions: TheRealHerky
I think that it means that someone that is worth a crap can come in here and turn it around. The resources are here, the money is here, the fan base is here. I am not sure diamond in the rough is the right term, I would go with sleeping giant. But I don't believe the words he used has any coorelation to who is or isn't interested in the job.

Heard an interesting take on the radio here in KC. It was from a national writer/commentator whose name I did not catch.

Anyway, he said the NU job is absolutely attractive. He cited the Big Ten money. NIL money. Fervent fan base. Great facilities that are getting better. Brand name. Big Ten West is 'winnable' every year.

But then he went on to say that guys like Leipold, and Campbell may not want to take that job because the expectations in Lincoln are higher than they are in Lawrence and Ames. Those guys make a ton of money where they are and may not want the added pressure of higher expectations. He also mentioned Mark Stoops at Kentucky, comparing him to Leipold at Kansas, where the only expectation is to keep fans occupied until football season.

Reactions: TheRealHerky
I’ve heard this a lot:

Coach X is not interested because our expectations are too high. Meanwhile, Coach X is exceeding those expectations somewhere else.

How high are our expectations, really?

We kept the worst coach in football for longer than anybody else would. We will have a losing record and no bowl game for 6 straight years. For every candidate that is mentioned, half the fan base says he wouldn’t even consider us. Many fans have bought into the recruiting base despair.

Yet, random talking head in the media: Nebraska fans’ wild expectations are the main problem.

Heard an interesting take on the radio here in KC. It was from a national writer/commentator whose name I did not catch.

Anyway, he said the NU job is absolutely attractive. He cited the Big Ten money. NIL money. Fervent fan base. Great facilities that are getting better. Brand name. Big Ten West is 'winnable' every year.

But then he went on to say that guys like Leipold, and Campbell may not want to take that job because the expectations in Lincoln are higher than they are in Lawrence and Ames. Those guys make a ton of money where they are and may not want the added pressure of higher expectations. He also mentioned Mark Stoops at Kentucky, comparing him to Leipold at Kansas, where the only expectation is to keep fans occupied until football season.
I think our expectations have been significantly lowered in the last 10 years. Win at least 75% of your games and have breakout seasons here and there. Anybody under 30 doesn't really remember Nebraska being great.

big boosters and athletic department need to start doing some frickin work. stay sober long enough to actually research coaches and their assistants and come up with a short list of young energetic possibles and list and defend their choices at least among each other. the last 25 years looks like we just went down the path of least resistence and ended up with a group that nobody in p5 would even consider today.

I think our expectations have been significantly lowered in the last 10 years. Win at least 75% of your games and have breakout seasons here and there. Anybody under 30 doesn't really remember Nebraska being great.
I am 28. I vaguely remember Eric Crouch as a kid. First season I really remember is '03 With Jamaal Lord where Frank got fired and Bo won the Alamo bowl as interim.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT