ADVERTISEMENT

NU Hoops @ Minnesota: Tip-off at 8:00

They would believe them because it was true. Before KU got involved he was given that information. It was pretty widely known at the time that Self wanted out of Illinois and Collier was in the process of going 11-19 when NU re-initiated contact. I don't remember it it was a problem with their AD or just a family situation. I don't find that hard to believe at all. Remember who the AD and basketball AD were at the time. New AD wanted "his" guy in both football and basketball. Stevie P was pretty open with some of the donors. My friend knew 2-3 weeks before Frank knew that he was gone and he also told me that Wannstedt had agreed in principle to a contract 2-3 weeks before Frank was canned.
Yeah see I have no problem believing the part about Pederson wanting to can Barry Collier and hire Bill Self, or that Bill Self didn't consider Illinois his dream job. But none of that adds up to Self coming to Nebraska, if only that darned KU job hadn't opened up. Self was the hottest coaching commodity in college basketball when he left Tulsa and his time at Illinois did nothing to change that. Sorry if it takes more than cocktail party chatter to make me believe that Self was going to leave Illinois to come to Nebraska.

As for the advance notice of Frank getting canned - I don't think that was limited to a handful of insiders. When Pedey went through the skyboxes at the Texas game telling boosters there would be major changes coming, I think the cat had officially left the bag.

Yeah see I have no problem believing the part about Pederson wanting to can Barry Collier and hire Bill Self, or that Bill Self didn't consider Illinois his dream job. But none of that adds up to Self coming to Nebraska, if only that darned KU job hadn't opened up. Self was the hottest coaching commodity in college basketball when he left Tulsa and his time at Illinois did nothing to change that. Sorry if it takes more than cocktail party chatter to make me believe that Self was going to leave Illinois to come to Nebraska.

As for the advance notice of Frank getting canned - I don't think that was limited to a handful of insiders. When Pedey went through the skyboxes at the Texas game telling boosters there would be major changes coming, I think the cat had officially left the bag.
Self wanted more money than Illinois was willing to pay and SP was willing to write the check. When the KU job opened up that was a no brainer.

ADVERTISEMENT