ADVERTISEMENT

NU Hoops @ Minnesota: Tip-off at 8:00

Difference on Saturday will be that CU doesn't have the size or aggressiveness of MN last night or TT. So, they aren't going to be able to play that way without getting called for a whole bunch of fouls. If they try, we probably shoot 40 free throws. They don't have the size to match up with Copeland, Roby and Palmer all in the game together. They are always capable of going off from 3, but are as likely to have an off night. And, they are relying on young or new players and will be in their first truly hostile environment as a team. I expect a completely different team, with a double digit lead most of the second half. Really, going to depend on focus and intensity of the guys in the home environment.

Reactions: huskerfan66
Therein lies the problem with the idea of changing coaches for some hot new face. As long as PBA stays full, Miles isn't going anywhere and as long as we keep winning like we do at PBA I don't see attendance falling off anytime soon. It just keeps reminding me of Stevie P's statement about mediocrity. Be careful what you wish for. In hindsight Frank's mediocrity would have looked damned good for the past15 years.

No. We have no idea what Solich would have done, and S.P. didn't have a plan. You have to give someone enough time to accurately determine whether or not they've got the goods [which Miles has been given], but you don't just say "geez, coach hasn't done much, but it could be worse, so maybe let's just keep this meh going?" Moos was looking at the end of last year, and I'm certain he hasn't stopped poking around trying to get a good idea of who is available. Attendance will fall off this year if we keep crapping the bed like last night. Everyone expects, as they should, a tourney invite. We could sellout every home game this year, but if Miles doesn't get to the tourney, he's gone, unless there just isn't any other good alternative out there.

Reactions: TheNewNU
Let me get back with you after the Michigan St game on January 18. That is why I said way too early, Huskers have 3 of 4 road conference games coming back after these next 4 non conference games..

What do you have in mind and how long on the avatar/ sig bet?

Not sure on the length, a week? A month? And waiting until Jan 18th is too far away. Let's make the bet now while emotional are still running high on both sides.

No. We have no idea what Solich would have done, and S.P. didn't have a plan. You have to give someone enough time to accurately determine whether or not they've got the goods [which Miles has been given], but you don't just say "geez, coach hasn't done much, but it could be worse, so maybe let's just keep this meh going?" Moos was looking at the end of last year, and I'm certain he hasn't stopped poking around trying to get a good idea of who is available. Attendance will fall off this year if we keep crapping the bed like last night. Everyone expects, as they should, a tourney invite. We could sellout every home game this year, but if Miles doesn't get to the tourney, he's gone, unless there just isn't any other good alternative out there.
You underestimate the value of money. Full house and a coach's buyout. Money talks and until something happens to interrupt that stream we aren't going to spend the money to buyout Miles. No doubt Moos has a list but he's not going to use it unless he has to. There will be alternatives out there, but are they better than Miles? Be careful what you wish for. As Colin Powell told George Bush before we invaded Iraq, "You break it. You own it.". Stevie P found out what that meant.

I think we beat Creighton, not even sure why. I guess I'm just a believer in the emotional side of sports. Miles has said in the media that he worries this team is too laid back. I read that as, "there's not a killer in the whole bunch". But.. that loss has to sting and maybe they'll be pissed off an ready to play.

I've been amped up to watch all of the games this season, but I'm not sure how much more I can take when Palmer is getting 2-3 charges a game while a thug like Murphy is running guys over like he's Gronk. I honestly don't know how to defend that if you can't get a call.

Reactions: dinglefritz
I think we beat Creighton, not even sure why. I guess I'm just a believer in the emotional side of sports. Miles has said in the media that he worries this team is too laid back. I read that as, "there's not a killer in the whole bunch". But.. that loss has to sting and maybe they'll be pissed off an ready to play.

I've been amped up to watch all of the games this season, but I'm not sure how much more I can take when Palmer is getting 2-3 charges a game while a thug like Murphy is running guys over like he's Gronk. I honestly don't know how to defend that if you can't get a call.
From the rest of the B1G - 'you're new here, ya don't get calls in the Barn'

We have tons of money, best facilities in the country, and in the Top 10 nationally in attendance. We could get a better coach than Tim Miles. I'd look at Nate Oats at Buffalo.
and FB as the polar opposite...nebraskaball has ZERO tradition, and is arguably the least successful P5 CBB program. In college sports, history and tradition mean something.

They're going to likely fight their way to a rare NCAA birth this year, but it's not going to be a smooth path, especially on the B1G road

as long as Tim Miles is the coach of this team...Nebrasketball will continue to be just a catchy word. He is a good interview...but his coaching is suspect at best. No tournament bid until this team can win a game or two away from the comfort and safety of PBA

You underestimate the value of money. Full house and a coach's buyout. Money talks and until something happens to interrupt that stream we aren't going to spend the money to buyout Miles. No doubt Moos has a list but he's not going to use it unless he has to. There will be alternatives out there, but are they better than Miles? Be careful what you wish for. As Colin Powell told George Bush before we invaded Iraq, "You break it. You own it.". Stevie P found out what that meant.

Buyout means nothing if Moos has someone who he thinks will do better. Large majority of the fanbase will be behind a move if Miles doesn't get to the tourney. Again, Moos > S.P. Moos will have a plan.

While Miles has elevated the talent level and athletic ability of this team to a level we haven't seen since Nee was here, he has a couple problems IMO. He has always struggled to recruit pure shooters and true big men. This team is full of slashers and no shooters or rim protectors. Offensively, teams can dare us to shoot and when allowed to bully us, they take away the driving lanes. On defense, we have been pretty bad on ball and allow teams to get to the lane and we have nobody there that will erase or change a shot. Brady may get there some day, but he isn't strong enough yet. Roby plays out of position defensively and gets himself in foul trouble because of it. It is a crying shame that Miles can't recruit post type players and because of that, he has to play Roby out of position.

While Miles has elevated the talent level and athletic ability of this team to a level we haven't seen since Nee was here, he has a couple problems IMO. He has always struggled to recruit pure shooters and true big men. This team is full of slashers and no shooters or rim protectors. Offensively, teams can dare us to shoot and when allowed to bully us, they take away the driving lanes. On defense, we have been pretty bad on ball and allow teams to get to the lane and we have nobody there that will erase or change a shot. Brady may get there some day, but he isn't strong enough yet. Roby plays out of position defensively and gets himself in foul trouble because of it. It is a crying shame that Miles can't recruit post type players and because of that, he has to play Roby out of position.

Good post. We haven’t had a legit outside shooter that demanded respect from the opposing defense since Gallegos.

As I watch Jacobsen playing against Iowa I wish we still had him. Maybe we wouldn’t have got outrebounded by 12 last night?

Miles consistently lacking shooters and post guys just makes coaching here harder.

Buyout means nothing if Moos has someone who he thinks will do better. Large majority of the fanbase will be behind a move if Miles doesn't get to the tourney. Again, Moos > S.P. Moos will have a plan.

I have no doubt Moos has a plan. If he wants to make a change, he will still have to find someone who will say yes. Don’t underestimate how difficult that will be.

I have no doubt Moos has a plan. If he wants to make a change, he will still have to find someone who will say yes. Don’t underestimate how difficult that will be.

Yes, “the plan” includes having that person commited before 86’ing Miles. As I’ve said a few times, he isn’t S.P.

Yes, “the plan” includes having that person commited before 86’ing Miles. As I’ve said a few times, he isn’t S.P.

And that’s why Miles is still here this year. Moos couldn’t get who he wanted for this year.

Moos May have a plan, and may want to get rid of Miles after this year, but the targets of that plan may not be interested. We may have to accept the fact that no one Moos targets wants to take this job. Then what does Moos do?

Lot of you are overreacting to a loss in basketball. There's a reason why they play seven games in the NBA playoffs. Tons of variance in the game. It's not like Minnesota beat us with a bunch of nobodies. They have talent just like we do.

Good post. We haven’t had a legit outside shooter that demanded respect from the opposing defense since Gallegos.

As I watch Jacobsen playing against Iowa I wish we still had him. Maybe we wouldn’t have got outrebounded by 12 last night?

Miles consistently lacking shooters and post guys just makes coaching here harder.
We've had and have guys who can shoot it as well as Gallegos. Gallegos was pretty streaky and could get hot but I think Nana is a better shooter than Ray was. If I remember correctly I don't believe that Ray ever shot much over 30% from 3 if that. The thing that made Ray so valuable is that he could play either the point or the 2. Loved Gallegos as a player. Fun guy to watch. I think Glynn and Allen are about the same threat from 3 as Ray. Jacobsen would have helped us this year. Hell Jordy would have helped us just with his bulk. Don't miss either of their turnovers though. The guy who we really miss for his defense IMO is Evan Taylor.

Lot of you are overreacting to a loss in basketball. There's a reason why they play seven games in the NBA playoffs. Tons of variance in the game. It's not like Minnesota beat us with a bunch of nobodies. They have talent just like we do.

Not like we do. It was a bad loss.

And that’s why Miles is still here this year. Moos couldn’t get who he wanted for this year.

Moos May have a plan, and may want to get rid of Miles after this year, but the targets of that plan may not be interested. We may have to accept the fact that no one Moos targets wants to take this job. Then what does Moos do?

Then we're stuck with him.

Not like we do. It was a bad loss.

Then we're stuck with him.
Sort of my point. You may hate Miles and how he coaches, but until Moos is sure that he could hire somebody better, Miles is safe. Most Husker fans would love to have Bill Self (almost happened before KU offered) but he ain't comin. IF we couldn't lure Dana back to Nebraska about the only option is a young up and comer and I just don't see Moos pulling the plug on Miles for that unless this year turns in to a disaster. Losing to Minnesota on the road doesn't mean that is going to happen. So in the mean time, you're stuck in this negative purgatory of bitching about Timmy making yourself more unhappy. Time to sit back and let the season unfold and the rest will take care of itself.

Most Husker fans would love to have Bill Self (almost happened before KU offered) but he ain't comin.
Before Illinois offered, actually. NU courted Self when he was still at Tulsa. They were never in the running for him after that.

Sort of my point. You may hate Miles and how he coaches, but until Moos is sure that he could hire somebody better, Miles is safe. Most Husker fans would love to have Bill Self (almost happened before KU offered) but he ain't comin. IF we couldn't lure Dana back to Nebraska about the only option is a young up and comer and I just don't see Moos pulling the plug on Miles for that unless this year turns in to a disaster. Losing to Minnesota on the road doesn't mean that is going to happen. So in the mean time, you're stuck in this negative purgatory of bitching about Timmy making yourself more unhappy. Time to sit back and let the season unfold and the rest will take care of itself.

Everyone knows Miles isn’t getting fired for a lesser coach. But if Moos gets a guy he wants (inclusive of up and comer) and Miles doesn’t make the tourney, regardless of the PBA being mostly full to full for every home game, Miles is gone.

Whose unhappy? This is a message board. A coach isn’t doing well, it’s going to be discussed.

Reactions: grayhairedfreak
I get the feeling we beat Creighton too, I think we matchup well with them. We can defend the 3 pt line, not so much the paint. Creighton can get it going sometimes in the paint but I don’t think they have the physicality to beat us too badly down there. Need to stop the slashers though too.

We have tons of money, best facilities in the country, and in the Top 10 nationally in attendance. We could get a better coach than Tim Miles. I'd look at Nate Oats at Buffalo.
Nebraska does not have the "best facilities" in the country for basketball. Not even close to what KU or Kentucky have

Pic’s please.:cool:
KU has built McCarthy Hall specifically to house its basketball players. It's like a 5* hotel, with it's own shooting gym, pool, barbershop, food service and more. Kentucky has the same thing. That doesn't include their training facility, a state-of-the-art locker room that would blow your mind, and Allen Fieldhouse (which is regarded as one of of the top 2-3 places to play). If you've never been to a game there you would not understand. Nebraska has GREAT facilities for basketball, but they are not on par with the bluebloods.

KU has built McCarthy Hall specifically to house its basketball players. It's like a 5* hotel, with it's own shooting gym, pool, barbershop, food service and more. Kentucky has the same thing. That doesn't include their training facility, a state-of-the-art locker room that would blow your mind, and Allen Fieldhouse (which is regarded as one of of the top 2-3 places to play). If you've never been to a game there you would not understand. Nebraska has GREAT facilities for basketball, but they are not on par with the bluebloods.

Seeing is believing!

Check it out two different Nebraska doesn’t have a kitchen and doesn’t have individual rooms with a bed and shower:rolleyes: to stay in other wise they have their own basketball court and locker rooms for men and women’s teams and a players lounge..

Who the hell needs a barber shop that is insignificant..

Last edited:
Before Illinois offered, actually. NU courted Self when he was still at Tulsa. They were never in the running for him after that.
I was told by a "booster of substance" that the NU admin was unhappy with Collier's performance in 2002-3 (11-19 and 12th in the Big12) and were in contact with Self then also. And people wonder why I've been supportive of Miles??? Self supposedly had agreed to take the NU job but when he got the KU job, NU kept Collier. NU should have cut bait on the spot and worried later about who they got.

I was told by a "booster of substance" that the NU admin was unhappy with Collier's performance in 2002-3 (11-19 and 12th in the Big12) and were in contact with Self then also. And people wonder why I've been supportive of Miles??? Self supposedly had agreed to take the NU job but when he got the KU job, NU kept Collier. NU should have cut bait on the spot and worried later about who they got.
I think the key word there is supposedly. Self finished no lower than 2nd in the Big Ten in his three years at Illinois and went to the tournament all three years. But he's going to leave there to come to Nebraska, after declining the job three years earlier when he was at Tulsa?

I'm not one who thinks Nebraska basketball is a terrible coaching job, but that doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

I think the key word there is supposedly. Self finished no lower than 2nd in the Big Ten in his three years at Illinois and went to the tournament all three years. But he's going to leave there to come to Nebraska, after declining the job three years earlier when he was at Tulsa?

I'm not one who thinks Nebraska basketball is a terrible coaching job, but that doesn't make any sense whatsoever.
He was not happy at Illinois and NU was offering a large salary increase. The guy that told me this hangs with the cocktail party crowd from NU administration and has for over 30 years.

He was not happy at Illinois and NU was offering a large salary increase. The guy that told me this hangs with the cocktail party crowd from NU administration and has for over 30 years.
Well my Heavens, why didn't you say so? If he hangs with the NU administration cocktail party crowd, he couldn't possibly be full of BS. Those guys never are.

Well my Heavens, why didn't you say so? If he hangs with the NU administration cocktail party crowd, he couldn't possibly be full of BS. Those guys never are.
Unlike this board, he's not the kind of guy who needs to make stuff up to impress people. Believe what you want.

Unlike this board, he's not the kind of guy who needs to make stuff up to impress people. Believe what you want.
I'm not doubting that someone from the University told him, "Yeah we had Bill Self all wrapped up and on his way to Lincoln, until Kansas swooped in and grabbed him." I'm just wondering why on Earth he or anyone else would believe it.

I'm not doubting that someone from the University told him, "Yeah we had Bill Self all wrapped up and on his way to Lincoln, until Kansas swooped in and grabbed him." I'm just wondering why on Earth he or anyone else would believe it.
They would believe them because it was true. Before KU got involved he was given that information. It was pretty widely known at the time that Self wanted out of Illinois and Collier was in the process of going 11-19 when NU re-initiated contact. I don't remember it it was a problem with their AD or just a family situation. I don't find that hard to believe at all. Remember who the AD and basketball AD were at the time. New AD wanted "his" guy in both football and basketball. Stevie P was pretty open with some of the donors. My friend knew 2-3 weeks before Frank knew that he was gone and he also told me that Wannstedt had agreed in principle to a contract 2-3 weeks before Frank was canned.

ADVERTISEMENT