ADVERTISEMENT

NU Hoops @ Minnesota: Tip-off at 8:00

Not a good weakness to have against our next opponent. Not a good loss mentally before the next opponent.
The problem is Texas Tech exposed NU’s weakness and the smart coaches now have the directions for a game plan to beat us. Miles HAS to have an answer to an aggressive style of play or it’s going to be a very long year.

Reactions: dinglefritz
I don’t blame you. You must be fairly young. I’m just numb to it any more.

I’m the same way. Huskers have always been garbage, but I’m not a big fan of college b-ball anyway. It’s way to dependent on which way the refs decide to call it.

Unfortunately, Hoiberg hates recruiting, so I don't think he'll be returning to the college game.

Nate Oats at Buffalo is the guy Moos should go after.

I like Oates. I worked their game and sat behind their bench when they came to play Creighton a couple years ago, and spoke to him briefly. He could potentially be a really good coach. Not sure he’d take the job.

Honest question, what PROVEN coach could Nebraska get if they let Miles go in a year or two? I don't follow college BB all that much, other than the Huskers and some of the heavyweights (KU, UNC, Kentucky) when they play.

I just don't see Nebraska as a school that could attract a guy who could recruit very well and get the team in March Madness year after year. At least that's what history is telling me.

And Miles has no recruits over 6'6"/195 pounds coming in next year. Hasn't he realized yet that it helps to have some big, strong guys in the Big Ten?

Honest question, what PROVEN coach could Nebraska get if they let Miles go in a year or two? I don't follow college BB all that much, other than the Huskers and some of the heavyweights (KU, UNC, Kentucky) when they play.

I just don't see Nebraska as a school that could attract a guy who could recruit very well and get the team in March Madness year after year. At least that's what history is telling me.

We have tons of money, best facilities in the country, and in the Top 10 nationally in attendance. We could get a better coach than Tim Miles. I'd look at Nate Oats at Buffalo.

Reactions: ZJSARENOTFREE

I think the only guy you could get would be a young up and comer from a smaller school that couldn't match what we might pay. That said, even if a guy wins for a couple of years at say oh Buffalo, there is no guarantee that he would win in the B1G at NU. That's a whole different game. Thankfully, I don't think Moos is going to can a coach who has won as much as Miles without having a better option committed to NU.

Define “proven.”

Could we get a proven coach from another P5 school? Doubt it. Could we steal someone from the Big East or A10? Doubt it.

IF the job comes open, I have a strong opinion on what direction to try to go.

You lost me at “Miles has to have an answer.”
You answer aggressive style of play from your opponent by being aggressive right back. For some reason I didn’t really see that tonight—at least not consistently. That’s 90% coaching.

Unfortunately I don’t see Nebraska basketball attracting anyone that is up and coming, Nebraska basketball is where coaching careers go to die, no one seems to make it out of there... miles was a hit name had success every where he went, then came to Nebraska one could hope that we pull a rabbit out our hind end and bring lue back home but I don’t think you could pay him enough

Frankly, not many. Moos tried to woo Dana away from UO with a king's ransom last year and he didn't bite. Ty Lue is an NBA guy and from what I hear doesn't really give a damn about Nebraska,( we ignored him for 25 years until he won a title). We get passed over by a lot of mid major guys every coaching search for better jobs. However, we aren't an awful job. We have fan support, we are in a great basketball conference, we have top 25 basketball facilities. However, we're a football school. Basketball will always come 2nd, sometimes 3rd if Volleyball keeps humming. But Miles was a lukewarm hire to begin with, Tom hired him because he had like 4 or 5 starters that were from Nebraska and he had a track record of being a program builder. The problem with that is that college basketball isn't about building programs anymore. It's about bringing in recruits or transfers yesterday that can win you games right away. We're the Kansas football of college basketball. I'd like to take a swing at a has been that can bring in some recruits so we can at least get a tourney win.

We lost the chess match folks. There is nothing more to this. I honestly haven’t watched a ton of NU basketball, but unless Miles figures out how to handle an aggressive opponent, you’ll see more of the same that you saw tonight. Yeah, you’ll get bad calls and missed shots that can affect the outcomes, but that’s not what lost this game tonight.
We were drawing fouls on the inside and getting put back shots from a guy off the bench. We abandoned that and started throwing up shots from anywhere but the paint. The defense was a shitshow. Not going to win many on the road playing like that.

Reactions: Lincoln100
Unfortunately I don’t see Nebraska basketball attracting anyone that is up and coming, Nebraska basketball is where coaching careers go to die, no one seems to make it out of there... miles was a hit name had success every where he went, then came to Nebraska one could hope that we pull a rabbit out our hind end and bring lue back home but I don’t think you could pay him enough
Miles wasn't even Tom's first choice. He offered Groce from Ohio who spurned us for Illinois.

You answer aggressive style of play from your opponent by being aggressive right back. For some reason I didn’t really see that tonight—at least not consistently. That’s 90% coaching.
The zebras contributed to how we played in that 2nd half. Minnesota is a much stronger team than us and the refs let them bang us around. We couldn't buy a call in that 2nd half and if that's the way game is going to be played it will be a long season for us. To top that off, when we did get to the line in the 2nd half we missed some free throws. We're long but not strong and we have trouble playing a physical style.

What makes a school like K-State such that they get the coach they have? It's not like they're Kansas, not even close. Nebraska held their own against K-State in the 90's and beyond, but K-State certainly is better and has a much, much better coach.

Personally, I don't ever see Nebraska being any more in BB than they are now, and it would take a huge stroke of luck to get a coach that gets K-State to where they are or Creighton the way they are.

Frankly, not many. Moos tried to woo Dana away from UO with a king's ransom last year and he didn't bite. Ty Lue is an NBA guy and from what I hear doesn't really give a damn about Nebraska,( we ignored him for 25 years until he won a title). We get passed over by a lot of mid major guys every coaching search for better jobs. However, we aren't an awful job. We have fan support, we are in a great basketball conference, we have top 25 basketball facilities. However, we're a football school. Basketball will always come 2nd, sometimes 3rd if Volleyball keeps humming. But Miles was a lukewarm hire to begin with, Tom hired him because he had like 4 or 5 starters that were from Nebraska and he had a track record of being a program builder. The problem with that is that college basketball isn't about building programs anymore. It's about bringing in recruits or transfers yesterday that can win you games right away. We're the Kansas football of college basketball. I'd like to take a swing at a has been that can bring in some recruits so we can at least get a tourney win.

I’m trying to stay very healthy, but pretty sure my life is at least half over. I’m getting nervous about ever seeing that tourney win.

I’m trying to stay very healthy, but pretty sure my life is at least half over. I’m getting nervous about ever seeing that tourney win.
"You've got to live a little bit faster, cause you've got a little less time to go.";)

Reactions: newAD
We really truly do not need to relitigate this every game. It's exhausting. He's not getting fired in season unless it is a complete dumpster fire. Ride it out, enjoy the season and if it sucks he'll be gone. If you want him gone, fine. But dont let that ruin this season for you, which still has a chance to be a really fun season. If you want him here, cool. Enjoy it and dont gloat after every win. This team legit has a decent chance to be the most successful team in our program's history, a super low bar for sure, but let's try and enjoy it and maybe they'll make history.

Reactions: dinglefritz
That will keep him from being drafted.
What is sad is that it's obvious that we have the most talent at NU that we've had in a long while and yet, it really isn't what it needs to be to win consistently in the B1G. They're all too inconsistent offensively and Watson and Copeland aren't physical enough. Roby? I'm not sure what the heck is going on in his head right now.

Reactions: scarletred
We really truly do not need to relitigate this every game. It's exhausting. He's not getting fired in season unless it is a complete dumpster fire. Ride it out, enjoy the season and if it sucks he'll be gone. If you want him gone, fine. But dont let that ruin this season for you, which still has a chance to be a really fun season. If you want him here, cool. Enjoy it and dont gloat after every win. This team legit has a decent chance to be the most successful team in our program's history, a super low bar for sure, but let's try and enjoy it and maybe they'll make history.

I know what you are saying, but it is therapeutic to let off steam when a game is pissed away thanks to horrible coaching. This isn't year 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 for Miles. He has earned the criticism and the frustration meter is going to be at max all season if these outcomes continue. There's no way this team loses to a below average Creighton this weekend so I may be in the minority when I say the next win will not make up for tonight. My focus is the Big Ten and right now the Huskers are 1-1 against arguably two of the worst teams in the conference. It needs to get better.

Minnesota scored 20 points in the last 5 minutes.
That and our “all big ten” player goes 3-14

Can’t throw away games like that

Nebraksa needs to take a chance on a young dynamite recruiter and roll from there. Get a guy in and let him roll some talent in. If he cant coach at least the foundation will be there for a better x and o guy.

We didn't have the best player on the floor tonight. They did and by a long shot. Offensively and defensively Coffey took the game over in the 2nd half.
Plus they've got one on the bench that wasn't playing

32-6-6. He is the reason they won.
THAT is the one thing about that game that befuddles me. That kid was playing out of his mind BUT I didn't really see us do anything defensively specifically to try to shut him down. We kept getting somebody, mostly Palmer, isolated on him one on one on the top and we couldn't stop him that way. He either drained a long 3 or drove around his guy to the hoop. Too quick and he made Palmer look like a plodder.

I remember I really wanted Groce bad, but now look where he is at.
Therein lies the problem with the idea of changing coaches for some hot new face. As long as PBA stays full, Miles isn't going anywhere and as long as we keep winning like we do at PBA I don't see attendance falling off anytime soon. It just keeps reminding me of Stevie P's statement about mediocrity. Be careful what you wish for. In hindsight Frank's mediocrity would have looked damned good for the past15 years.

At the 10:21 mark, Akenton hit a 3 to put NU up by 11. Nebraska made one more basket from the floor over the next 9 minutes. Meanwhile, Minnesota scored on 9 of the next 13 possessions, while NU was missing shots from the floor AND free throws. By the time Watson made NU’s second basket from the floor since Akenton’s 3, NU trailed by 4. NU made one more FG after that. A total of 3 made baskets the last 10 minutes of the game. From a veteran team.

Would you like to do an avatar/signature bet on whether or not NU makes the tournament?

Let me get back with you after the Michigan St game on January 18. That is why I said way too early, Huskers have 3 of 4 road conference games coming back after these next 4 non conference games..

What do you have in mind and how long on the avatar/ sig bet?

At the 10:21 mark, Akenton hit a 3 to put NU up by 11. Nebraska made one more basket from the floor over the next 9 minutes. Meanwhile, Minnesota scored on 9 of the next 13 possessions, while NU was missing shots from the floor AND free throws. By the time Watson made NU’s second basket from the floor since Akenton’s 3, NU trailed by 4. NU made one more FG after that. A total of 3 made baskets the last 10 minutes of the game. From a veteran team.

4 of whom have all-conference talent.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT