ADVERTISEMENT

NU has the second best talent pool of its opponents

You can't ignore the massive attrition of Riley's classes. Our Junior and Senior classes are REALLY weak. We are fortunate to get the grad transfers as those have filled some positions but we are pretty sketchy on the oline and at MLB...and we might have a tough time on d next year because we lose a lot of meat. It really sucks that Frost will be judged when he has had to build on such a shiite foundation.

You can't ignore the massive attrition of Riley's classes. Our Junior and Senior classes are REALLY weak. We are fortunate to get the grad transfers as those have filled some positions but we are pretty sketchy on the oline and at MLB...and we might have a tough time on d next year because we lose a lot of meat. It really sucks that Frost will be judged when he has had to build on such a shiite foundation.
Pelini has to be included also as a failure.

I think you're being a bit over dramatic about "next season."

They're going to have a Defensive line rotation this season where they feel comfortable playing 8 to 9 scholarship players. They will lose three of them for 2020 but come back with a ton of snaps. it will mimic a "plug and play" for the first time in years.

The secondary will bring back 3 starters and include a legit 3 deep of scholarship players.

Plus it will be year three of a system with likely the same coaches. That side of the football wasn't left with much, but there are plenty of reasons to be effusive about the future.

OLB and pass rusher will still be a concern though.

NEBRASKA-CORNHUSKERS-1967-1968-Vintage-Riddell-RK-Suspension-Football.jpg

Are there other universities out there who’s official name is The University of X but prefer to be referred to as XU?

Last edited:
Attrition was ongoing under pelini, not ever made up by MR, and not good for our culture for those who left under SF.
I don't see us worse off now, not in numbers,including the latest guys leaving, but actually better, much better.
The staff caught up alot last year, and is regarded as one of, if not the best class this century. The signs of discontent, or the staff losing players because they recruited the wrong guys isnt happening, unless you count their first year, which was extremely rushed,where they did what was the norm under previous staffs, got filler players who didnt fit the culture, from the 2018 class.
Not the way the staff wants to recruit, but took some chances with a few guys, but it wont be the norm.

Another thing is, as fans,we've been led to believe four stars are more of a crapshoot than they really are, as our previous staffs struggled to develope them, and most the team for that matter.
Too much focus on starters,not enough on the rest,and often top guys starting early in their career because of needs that were never corrected, where another year of good developement and possible redshirt would have really helped those players and the team.

I think you're being a bit over dramatic about "next season."

They're going to have a Defensive line rotation this season where they feel comfortable playing 8 to 9 scholarship players. They will lose three of them for 2020 but come back with a ton of snaps. it will mimic a "plug and play" for the first time in years.

The secondary will bring back 3 starters and include a legit 3 deep of scholarship players.

Plus it will be year three of a system with likely the same coaches. That side of the football wasn't left with much, but there are plenty of reasons to be effusive about the future.

OLB and pass rusher will still be a concern though.

Our Junior and Senior classes SHOULD have 50 flippin players ready to suit up and dominate....guys with 3 to 4 years of development in a consistent system. Lets say there is 20% attrition...that means we should have 40 guys who are ready...we aren't anywhere near that...you can't even point out 20 guys from those two classes who we will rely on...that is pathetic. Having to get jucos, grad transfers, and rely on sophomores and freshman is a big deal and can't be overlooked. Pointing out the recruiting rankings of gutted and pathetic classes is pointless and only drives expectations beyond ridiculous. If we win this year it won't be because we are a particularly whole team, it will be because we are in a weak conference with teams in flux as well.

Another thing is, as fans,we've been led to believe four stars are more of a crapshoot than they really are, as our previous staffs struggled to develope them, and most the team for that matter.
Too much focus on starters,not enough on the rest,and often top guys starting early in their career because of needs that were never corrected, where another year of good developement and possible redshirt would have really helped those players and the team.
So you're saying we're done "putting stars on players"? Winking:D

Our Junior and Senior classes SHOULD have 50 flippin players ready to suit up and dominate....guys with 3 to 4 years of development in a consistent system. Lets say there is 20% attrition...that means we should have 40 guys who are ready...we aren't anywhere near that...you can't even point out 20 guys from those two classes who we will rely on...that is pathetic. Having to get jucos, grad transfers, and rely on sophomores and freshman is a big deal and can't be overlooked. Pointing out the recruiting rankings of gutted and pathetic classes is pointless and only drives expectations beyond ridiculous. If we win this year it won't be because we are a particularly whole team, it will be because we are in a weak conference with teams in flux as well.

If we win this year, it may also be the result of having one of the best QB's in the country. The right QB can overcome a lot.

85 players, 21 or less per class,minus redshirts.
Then you have injury, then you have attrition, as the others are unavoidable.

The shifting seen is in part bad roster management by previous staffs as well.
As time goes along, its only natural that your senior class is more often than not, the smallest, then the juniors.
The key is having those seniors in key positions of leadership to help keep the younger guys on script.
Listen to SF's words, he wants leadership and toughness, both acquired by long stints of hard work and staying power.
I dont think this is what we'll see going forwards,or,not as much.

I understand the year one mulligan but elite coaching at elite/blue blood programs win early at elite levels usually year 2-3. Not some crazy 5 year plan.

This is Frost’s team and his record. We should win the west this year.

I can’t remember which coach was quoted as saying “there is a scoreboard in life. We shouldn’t run from it”

Reactions: Tuco Salamanca

I should have a bigger bank account, a nicer car, and Peter North's dick hanging between my legs, but sometimes the World isn't fair.

If you want to argue those classes faded and were relatively worthless, that's one thing and accurate. But claims that Nebraska will be relegated to a "tough time" on defense next season, due to those classes, are off base. I think you're being over dramatic because you're acting a tad reactionary. Its not ideal, but Frost has completely overhauled his roster in much quicker fashion.

They're going to be returning 14 third year defensive players next season who will be apart of the 2 deep in 2019. And by 3rd year, I'm meaning 2020 will be their 3rd years in this system. And on top of that, dudes like Garrett Nelson, Ty Robinson, Luke Reimer, Jackson Hannah, Myles Farmer, Noa Pola Gates, and Quentin Newsome will all see PT in 2019.

The holes left by those classes hurt the 2018 and 19 teams much more. And they will still feel the sting a bit at linebacker this season if injuries creep up. But Frost and staff, particularly on the front and back ends of the defense have completely adapted and those spots are set up very well for the next few years.

And hell... if you want to talk about poor recruiting, take a look at a program like Colorado. In 2019 their defensive line 2-deep is going to include a former 2-Star Greyshirt starting at Nose, two very lightly recruited true freshmen, and a JUCO transfer who chose CU over Nicholls State.

I understand the year one mulligan but elite coaching at elite/blue blood programs win early at elite levels usually year 2-3. Not some crazy 5 year plan.

I can’t remember which coach was quoted as saying “there is a scoreboard in life. We shouldn’t run from it”
Agreed, just not sure why some are playing chicken little because of attrition from guys mostly that are, to quote Chins, are turds, or were turds,since theyve been flushed.
Some other guy also said, it's my job to go and get better guys than the current guys.

Last year depth on D was pretty much an issue across the board. The Dline was mix and match at times. This year that is only the case at LB. ILB is pretty solid barring injury, but OLB is still a mixed bag. The Dline is pretty much a 180 in terms of depth from last year.
And there are some very promising young guys waiting for their turn.

Reactions: saluno22
If we win this year, it may also be the result of having one of the best QB's in the country. The right QB can overcome a lot.

AM is great but we won't win without guys stepping up, especially on the oline. And we are completely forgetting about the special teams. I just saw a stat where the 2010 Seahawks were #1 in total offense and #1 in total defense and did not even make the playoffs...they were dead last in most special teams categories. There has been nothing in the koolaid about KR, PR, attacking punts, punting, or FGs. I actually think we will see our depth problems show in the return games like we did last year...we were a 6 or 7 win team who dropped to 4 because of pathetic STs...

Was rewatching the 2017 Northern Illinois game. Damn, that line was super terrible and Mikale was poor as well.

I'm a masochist I guess.

You left out Nebraska in your "win early and win often"...Tom Osborne took over for a National championship team and it took 22 years for him to win big. The NCAA climate is little different from the 80s or 90s...elite talent is still concentrated far away from us, we are still going to win with a gimmick college offense and an aggressive defense and S and C. We are still going to dominate the regions around us, and we are still going to feast on weaklings in our division year after year. That being said we aren't likely to make the playoff more than once a decade even when things are rolling and they certainly are not considered rolling at this point. These ignorant high expectations poison this board and the fan base. There is not another team that won a full national title within 800 miles of us in the modern era. That means it is really hard to win big anywhere other than California, Ohio and the southeast. Even Texas has a poor track record of championships. We can't expect more than a sniff at a title every 10 years, and we should expect to at least be in the running for the DEC championship every november.

Was rewatching the 2017 Northern Illinois game. Damn, that line was super terrible and Mikale was poor as well.

I'm a masochist I guess.
I do the same thing at times, but usually it's the games against decent teams we lost to that I watch (1992 UW, 1996 Texas, 1998 and 2000 Kansas State). You, sir, take this to a different level.

I do the same thing at times, but usually it's the games against decent teams we lost to that I watch (1992 UW, 1996 Texas, 1998 and 2000 Kansas State). You, sir, take this to a different level.
I am shocked that Nick "Swinging" Gates wasn't drafted. Shocked I say.

We sometimes forget just how shit the teams were until we rewatch these dumpster fire games.

You left out Nebraska in your "win early and win often"...Tom Osborne took over for a National championship team and it took 22 years for him to win big. The NCAA climate is little different from the 80s or 90s...elite talent is still concentrated far away from us, we are still going to win with a gimmick college offense and an aggressive defense and S and C. We are still going to dominate the regions around us, and we are still going to feast on weaklings in our division year after year. That being said we aren't likely to make the playoff more than once a decade even when things are rolling and they certainly are not considered rolling at this point. These ignorant high expectations poison this board and the fan base. There is not another team that won a full national title within 800 miles of us in the modern era. That means it is really hard to win big anywhere other than California, Ohio and the southeast. Even Texas has a poor track record of championships. We can't expect more than a sniff at a title every 10 years, and we should expect to at least be in the running for the DEC championship every november.

And somehow I get talked about for not being a Husker fan and for being a Debbi Downer.

I think if we moved the uni east or west it might help us win a natty. Ok,that's sarcasm.
Notice how teams that climb the mountain often stay there,or close to it?

If we get there, those players dont just disappear the next year, and your staff usually has some guys in the wings.
The teams that have fallen off, just like us, it has happened due to coaching changes.
Prime example,usc, still recruits killer classes, but they havnt come close to putting a flag atop mount cfb.

Also, okies been there several times, oh, and its thousands of miles from the west coast, depending on how far back you go.

I think if we moved the uni east or west it might help us win a natty. Ok,that's sarcasm.
Notice how teams that climb the mountain often stay there,or close to it?

If we get there, those players dont just disappear the next year, and your staff usually has some guys in the wings.
The teams that have fallen off, just like us, it has happened due to coaching changes.
Prime example,usc, still recruits killer classes, but they havnt come close to putting a flag atop mount cfb.

Also, okies been there several times, oh, and its thousands of miles from the west coast, depending on how far back you go.

Is Oklahoma within 800 miles??? Lol. When is the modern era??? Haha

I’ve posted something similar several times. Every elite program that fell on hard times can trace their downfall to the coaches that replaced and followed a legend. Most get back to the level they were at, it just depends on how many frogs they have to kiss before they find the next prince.

Reactions: NorthwoodHusker
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT