ADVERTISEMENT

NU Facilities Upgrades?

When I see people brag about how much better our facilities are than others I cringe. First of all, none of us have seen ALL of the facilities we are being compared too. It is an endless game that only the rich schools can play. As the top schools progress, those with fewer resources get left behind so the competition is at the top schools. You can be top flight one year and down the list a few years later. That is the nature of the beast.

Nebraska use to own the facilities race and probably were the first to have many of the things we see today. But as of 2018 I would put Nebraska maybe 3th or 4th just in the B1G West if we are just talking about training facilities. Iowa's is only 3 years old and will look old compared to what Minnesota and Purdue are building.
49c_Lg.jpg

49_717_feat2.jpg

7c9e181bb1ad6f83bfb248bbfaa69407.jpg

aquatics416_feat.jpg

B9317875666Z.1_20150626172430_000_GQHB6KCU8.1-0.jpg

Reactions: saluno22
That’s about how it works these days. When you finish building, you’re number one for about 3 years. Then others catch up. Then they pass you. In 10 years, you need another upgrade. Good news for athletic architects and contractors.

Reactions: saluno22
Nebraska use to own the facilities race and probably were the first to have many of the things we see today. But as of 2018 I would put Nebraska maybe 3th or 4th just in the B1G West if we are just talking about training facilities. Iowa's is only 3 years old and will look old compared to what Minnesota and Purdue are building.
49c_Lg.jpg

49_717_feat2.jpg

7c9e181bb1ad6f83bfb248bbfaa69407.jpg

aquatics416_feat.jpg

B9317875666Z.1_20150626172430_000_GQHB6KCU8.1-0.jpg
Funny, where is Iowa's trophy case???RollingLaugh

After the spring game, NU will be installing LED lights to replace the old ones and are putting more bathrooms and concessions in North stadium. I believe there are future plans to renovate south stadium. As far as training facilities, I'm not sure of anything right now.

I may not be a fan with deep pockets but I will be N when AD Moos and Coach Frost state it is time for helping fund new football facilities!!! Winking

cash-02.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: RiLLLLLLLLey
AR-151209714.jpg&MaxH=500&MaxW=900

This thing around somewhere collecting dust since it hasn't moved in years.
heroesgametrophy.jpg

Have fun with that now because that thing will change fast. You guys benefited the most from Mike Riley and one of those years, us having a torn up QB with crap for back ups. Just remember, he’s gone now. We now have a top notch coaching staff. You guys are still sitting with the same ole staff that can’t get over the hump.

Last edited:
Reactions: HuskerDana
I can’t wait until Nebraska fans can point to the scoreboard when “talking” with Iowa fans instead of having to resort to trophy case discussions. Trust/hoping Scott Frost will put an end to this soon. Winking

And how does a question about our facility upgrades turn into a post about Iowa’s crap show?? Are Iowa fans really this freaking board they live on Husker sites, in hopes to try and say “hey, look at us, look at your little SISTER Iowa and how we have grown a bit” Sorry but dam, gets old when we are trying to talk about our team on our site and the Suckeye fans keep try to gloat there crap fest.

I can’t wait until Nebraska fans can point to the scoreboard when “talking” with Iowa fans instead of having to resort to trophy case discussions. Trust/hoping Scott Frost will put an end to this soon. Winking

Amen!!! Or the 90’s which we still seem to hold onto. It’s 2018!!! Very sad.

Facilities now don’t matter when that used to be our best recruiting tool. It’ll matter again when we upgrade

With our built-in recruiting disadvantages it is absolutely imperative that Nebraska has some of the best facilities in the country.
Do we need upgrades?
Yes
I disagree. With the money in college football everybody has good or at least decent facilities these days. Your facing diminishing returns now where in the past facilities upgrades would have given you a huge advantage in recruiting, etc. now not so much.

After the spring game, NU will be installing LED lights to replace the old ones and are putting more bathrooms and concessions in North stadium. I believe there are future plans to renovate south stadium. As far as training facilities, I'm not sure of anything right now.
I have heard talk of something in south stadium for quite awhile. Any idea as to what? Suites like north, or not as extensive. When you look at the skyline, I think top of south is about as high asthea suites on the north. Do you think they would go up or elininate some seats for suites?

I disagree. With the money in college football everybody has good or at least decent facilities these days. Your facing diminishing returns now where in the past facilities upgrades would have given you a huge advantage in recruiting, etc. now not so much.
You might be right. At some point there is a saturation and what more can be added? But there are small things that can be done that mean a lot to a student athlete that aren't necessarily grandiose. I remember when I was in college they added a taco bar to our dorm's food service. I thought that was the greatest thing ever. lol. It's the little things that matter the most.

You might be right. At some point there is a saturation and what more can be added? But there are small things that can be done that mean a lot to a student athlete that aren't necessarily grandiose. I remember when I was in college they added a taco bar to our dorm's food service. I thought that was the greatest thing ever. lol. It's the little things that matter the most.

Maybe the Nebraska Student Union will replace Runza and add a Chick-Fil-A/Steak N Shake combo? That will bring in the recruits. Winking

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
as others have stated with the big money conferences pay out facilities have undergone massive upgrades throughout the country. It is very difficult to have facilities that are going to be head and shoulders above many other successful or marginally successful power 5 programs.

Look at NW new indoor facility built right along Lake Michigan. The net worth of the land alone is staggering.

Last edited:
Big Ten University Endowments

Michigan 10.9 billion
NW - 10.5 billion
OSU 3.6
MSU - 3.6
Illinois - 3.5
Minnesota - 3.2
Wisc - 2.7
PSU - 2.6
Purdue - 2.3
Indiana - 2

Neb - 1.5
Iowa - 1.3
Rutgers 1.2
Maryland - 542 million

We aren't going to win an arms race

Those must have been some tacos! Wonder if Barry Switzer had anything to do with it? Us old guys know what that refers to, right, Pennsy? :Cool:

Big Ten University Endowments

Michigan 10.9 billion
NW - 10.5 billion
OSU 3.6
MSU - 3.6
Illinois - 3.5
Minnesota - 3.2
Wisc - 2.7
PSU - 2.6
Purdue - 2.3
Indiana - 2

Neb - 1.5
Iowa - 1.3
Rutgers 1.2
Maryland - 542 million

We aren't going to win an arms race

Maybe Mr. Buffet can endow a few billion towards UNL. Not for athletics, but for education, infrastructure, salaries, equipment, etc.

Reactions: TFrazier and jlb321
I believe they will be improving the weight room before too long. Its not near as big as it needs to be.

Last edited:
Could be a long wait.

Reactions: TFrazier
as others have stated with the big money conferences pay out facilities have undergone massive upgrades throughout the country. It is very difficult to have facilities that are going to be head and shoulders above many other successful or marginally successful power 5 programs.

Look at NW new indoor facility built right along Lake Michigan. The net worth of the land alone is staggering.

Not gonna lie, that view to the lake is pretty sweet

I know this isnt popular but I wish they would have built a new stadium instead of putting lipstick on that pig that is memorial stadium. My issue with memorial stadium is the way the stadium seating is. 80% of the seats are either in the endzones or in the corners. I would have prefered three tiers that are very close to the field which would of created more and better seats and kept the crowd noise inside and directed at the field. I know stadiums are crazy expensive but they are not getting cheaper. On top of that like 10 or so years ago they saw the foundation in the south endzone was fractured. It was a long time ago. I know it will never happen but the stadium (not the facilities around the inside of the stadium) is, IMO, really bad.

Northwestern new football facility are very impressive to say the least, with Fitz there they will be a program to reckon with in the West besides Wisconsin and Iowa...

Reactions: jlb321
Nebraska needs to do something before any talk about upgrading facilities IMO. Inferior facilities are not the reason why Nebraska couldn't compete last year, it was because of how soft & complacent with defeat the team had become under Mike Riley. A head coach that is soft & has little to no fight in him will field a team that is soft & has no fight when facing adversity. That's why Nebraska sucked, the facilities were not the reason IMO.

It feels good to see Scott Frost in charge, I feel like the team will be lean mean & competitive again.

But til then there's no reason to talk about needing a upgrade in facilities; because facilities are not the problem IMHO

Reactions: Bugeater
ADVERTISEMENT