ADVERTISEMENT

NU Coaching Candidates (D1Baseball.com)

I really have a hard time seeing what problems A&M have with Childress. I mean he's had them in the CWS twice, most recently just two years ago. I seem to recall hearing just a few years ago that there was some rumblings of discontent at Arkansas about Dave Van Horn when they had gone through a bit of a down period. That certainly disappeared quickly with what they've done the last two years. I think A&M would be crazy to just let him leave now, but I'd certainly be more than happy to take him if that's how they feel.
A&M always thinks they can and should get better. They also have the money to spend. Sometimes that combination can work for you and sometimes it can work against you. I agree they'd be dumb to let him go but from the sounds of it he is getting the Tim Miles treatment regarding contract extensions.

I'm still a skeptic that he ends up at Nebraska as well but a few closer than I am seem more confident.

I really have a hard time seeing what problems A&M have with Childress. I mean he's had them in the CWS twice, most recently just two years ago. I seem to recall hearing just a few years ago that there was some rumblings of discontent at Arkansas about Dave Van Horn when they had gone through a bit of a down period. That certainly disappeared quickly with what they've done the last two years. I think A&M would be crazy to just let him leave now, but I'd certainly be more than happy to take him if that's how they feel.

Seems like they can't handle the success that Texas Tech has had recently.

Didn't link it up
But today over on D1Baseball.com (June11)
In the "Assistant Coach Carousel" section.
It lists, Ted Silva and Mike Kirby as being "Out" of Nebraska.
News to me.

It appears there may be some smoke on the horizon.

Didn't link it up
But today over on D1Baseball.com (June11)
In the "Assistant Coach Carousel" section.
It lists, Ted Silva and Mike Kirby as being "Out" of Nebraska.
News to me.

It appears there may be some smoke on the horizon.

Did you think the new HC was going to retain them? Nobody to this day can figure out what Kirby ever did to begin with.

I'm always of the mindset
prepare for the worst, hope for best.

Had someone today come up to me saying they read Ed Servais on a Facebook something or something. I just smiled, politely. Nodded my head.
Smokin

Heard on sports nightly that A&M has a very large buyout hanging over Childress. May be too big of a pill for Moos to swallow.

A&M stepping up to the plate. Which I was afraid of. Not saying the door is closed but it appears Childress is taking the road less traveled which is understandable. Forcing A&M’s hand.

With that said, local media really has no clue what’s going to happen so take anything they say with a grain of salt.

Kendall Rogers tweet... June 11
@Husker_Baseball has interviews throughout the week.I'll have more concrete info soon. I can tell you that the Rob Childress rumors are false at this juncture. Barring a change of heart, Childress is not leaving A&M without being let go and having the #Aggies pay a hefty buyout.

Itchy Burts...
Wonder if that's his given name?
I can only think his folks were fans of "Itchy and Scratchy"

Reactions: RobsterMobster
Kendall Rogers tweet... June 11
@Husker_Baseball has interviews throughout the week.I'll have more concrete info soon. I can tell you that the Rob Childress rumors are false at this juncture. Barring a change of heart, Childress is not leaving A&M without being let go and having the #Aggies pay a hefty buyout.

Itchy Burts...
Wonder if that's his given name?
I can only think his folks were fans of "Itchy and Scratchy"
The rumors weren’t false. Kendall got his info from some A&M AD peeps. He seems to be leaning towards staying but the offer, discussion, and consideration by Childress was real.

DVH goes 0 and 2 in the CWS, he's already in Nebraska, takes the short drive to Lincoln and they announce our new head coach on Monday. Welcome back Dave!

That was a beautiful dream. I like Heefner. He has done really well at Dallas Baptist. Always puts teams in the tournament.

DVH goes 0 and 2 in the CWS, he's already in Nebraska, takes the short drive to Lincoln and they announce our new head coach on Monday. Welcome back Dave!

That was a beautiful dream. I like Heefner. He has done really well at Dallas Baptist. Always puts teams in the tournament.

Anyone a member of d1baseball.com to post a summary of the Nebraska coaching buzz?

https://d1baseball.com/coaching-buzz/college-coaching-buzz-running-scoop/

Childress won't leave an SEC job unless he gets canned. Ags would owe him over a million if they fire him, so prob not going to happen. Lot of smoke with Bolt right now - interview could be late this week. Heller is another name they're hearing - they're hearing interest is mutual. Thinks we'll have our guy in the next few days.

Childress won't leave an SEC job unless he gets canned. Ags would owe him over a million if they fire him, so prob not going to happen. Lot of smoke with Bolt right now - interview could be late this week. Heller is another name they're hearing - they're hearing interest is mutual. Thinks we'll have our guy in the next few days.
I’d prefer Heller with a bigger assistant salary and scheduling options than Bolt. But, nothing would shock me. At least it won’t be a volunteer assistant this time.

Still smoke around Childress...there is one thing for certain no one knows anything to this point one way or the another..hoping for a BIG NAME, come on MOOS.
The fact that childress won’t just come out and deny it keeps his name alive. I think they are using us to get a better contract at this point. Would love to be wrong. He got a lot of peeps excited though, including me.

Attention seeker or ?

Supposedly Will Bolt but me thinks Moos struck out with every high profile coach he had.

I remember articles/podcasts where Moos stated:

- Proven Power 5 head coaching resume

- Elite pitching coach

- recruiting ties to Texas

This screams NOT WB to me.

Oh well. Better hold off on Moos statue, even though I thought we would get a big name. First underwhelming hire by Moos.....

Reactions: TheNewNU
I'll be honest, I'm not too excited but at least he does have some head coaching experience, albeit at a lower level. He also does come from the VanHorn/Childress tree of success. I hope nothing but the best for him and hope even more that Moos gives him a competitive assistant coach pool to work with.

At least we know our hitting can't get any worse. Pitching coach will be crucial though. I'll be bummed if he keeps any of the current assistants however.

If it is Will Bolt, I wish I knew why we went with him. Did we really strike out with everybody else, did we even interview that many other candidates, did Bolt really impress in the interview, or did Moos have someone in his ear that was pushing for Bolt? Got to be honest-not all that excited about this one. He does have real coaching experience and Erstad had one year of volunteer coaching experience, so that is one thing he has over Erstad, but still pretty underwhelming.

If it is Will Bolt, I wish I knew why we went with him. Did we really strike out with everybody else, did we even interview that many other candidates, did Bolt really impress in the interview, or did Moos have someone in his ear that was pushing for Bolt? Got to be honest-not all that excited about this one. He does have real coaching experience and Erstad had one year of volunteer coaching experience, so that is one thing he has over Erstad, but still pretty underwhelming.
It was a combo of everything you stated. We struck out with some (Childress being the obvious one) but they did choose to hire Bolt over some other decent options it appears. My guess is Nebraska ties and many involved recommending him (i.e. Childress, VanHorn, Erstad, etc.) being the main reason why he was chosen. Heck, maybe he will be successful, we can only hope.

Shock so many people aren't calling this a homerun hire by moos.
SEC coaching experience✔️
Texas recruiting experience ✔️
mini DVH✔️
Coached under Childress✔️
Nebraska ties✔️
At this point if Nebraska didn't get him someone in the SEC would have. Nebraska fans are ridiculous. Can't wait for Bolt to get us back to Omaha!

Shock so many people aren't calling this a homerun hire by moos.
SEC coaching experience✔️
Texas recruiting experience ✔️
mini DVH✔️
Coached under Childress✔️
Nebraska ties✔️
At this point if Nebraska didn't get him someone in the SEC would have. Nebraska fans are ridiculous. Can't wait for Bolt to get us back to Omaha!
He very well could be but I'm not understanding the need for so many posters to act as if it was the obvious and best choice all along. I'm also not sure what "mini DVH" means but that doesn't seem like an item I'd have on my checklist when doing a coaching search.

Regardless I'll root for him and will be excited to start a new era. If he keeps any of the current assistants I'll be bummed though.

He very well could be but I'm not understanding the need for so many posters to act as if it was the obvious and best choice all along. I'm also not sure what mini DVH means but that doesn't seem like an item I'd have on my checklist when doing a coaching search,
DVH had much more head coaching experience when we hired him, including 3 years of D-I experience. Calling Bolt "mini DVH" is just someone's subjective analysis comparing the two's styles. There's no objective criteria that would indicate Bolt is on a similar trajectory. Doesn't mean he can't or won't be similarly successful, but calling him "mini DVH" at this point seems pretty empty of any real meaning. I'm thinking what most people like about him is the last item on the checklist. Take that one out, and I don't think anyone is calling him a homerun hire. Nebraska ties are nice, but should be very low on the list of importance.

DVH had much more head coaching experience when we hired him. Calling Bolt "mini DVH" is just someone's subjective analysis comparing the two's styles. There's no objective criteria that would indicate Bolt is on a similar trajectory. Doesn't mean he can't or won't be similarly successful, but calling him "mini DVH" at this point seems pretty empty of any real meaning. I'm thinking what most people like about him is the last item on the checklist. Take that one out, and I don't think anyone is calling him a homerun hire. Nebraska ties are nice, but should be very low on the list of importance.
Truthfully the hire of Bolt alone doesn't bother me. Seeing who he hires as assistants and who he recruits is what will get me excited about the hire at the end of the day. Hoping he hits up the JUCO ranks like he has in the past.

If it is Will Bolt, why wait to announce it? Is that supposed to be a major headline during the CWS? Not to many outside of Nebraska I wouldn’t think. Why not announce it today when you don’t have CWS or NBA headlines to compete with?

If it is Will Bolt, why wait to announce it? Is that supposed to be a major headline during the CWS? Not to many outside of Nebraska I wouldn’t think. Why not announce it today when you don’t have CWS or NBA headlines to compete with?
Probably because he wasn't the first choice and we just now made it down the list to him.

Probably because he wasn't the first choice and we just now made it down the list to him.
I completely agree with that assessment. I would just think if that’s where we’ve landed it would be more beneficial to get the deal done and announce today Rather than get lost in all of the CWS news. Just my humble opinion though.

Reactions: grayhairedfreak
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT