ADVERTISEMENT

NU Coaching Candidates (D1Baseball.com)

Alum-Ni

Administrator
Gold Member
Aug 29, 2004
https://d1baseball.com/coaching-buzz/coaching-buzz-nebraska-candidates-to-watch/

Article requires subscription, but Kendall Rogers says the "Hot Board" for Nebraska candidates is or should be:

Rick Heller, Iowa
Rob Childress, Texas A&M
Matt Deggs, Sam Houston State
Dan Heefner, Dallas Baptist
Nate Thompson, Arkansas (assistant)
Will Bolt, Texas A&M (assistant)
Justin Seely, Texas A&M (assistant)

Also keep an eye on but less likely candidates.....

Ed Servais, Creighton
Nate Yeskie, Oregon State (assistant)

Rick Heller, Iowa
That reminds me of The Office episode where (Danny Cordray) Timothy Olyphant is pummeling Dunder Mifflin, so Michael Scott decides to hire him.

Also, is our AD also evaluating where Iowa's program is at? :D

In my opinion, we need to pay big-boy money for this hire. Like in the $800k range that Rob Childress and Dave Van Horn currently receive. Announce to the college baseball world we are serious about competing at a high level.

Bill Moos has shown he’s not afraid to pay market rates to get the best possible coach. I just hope he values the baseball program highly enough to do it in this case.

Childress would be amazing or how about talking Casey out of retirement.

I know people are really high on Rob Childress, but regardless of how much he loved his time here before, I just can't see him leaving Texas A&M unless he's being pushed out there. I could be wrong, but I think people that have their hearts set on him coming back here are setting themselves up for disappointment.

In my opinion, we need to pay big-boy money for this hire. Like in the $800k range that Rob Childress and Dave Van Horn currently receive. Announce to the college baseball world we are serious about competing at a high level.

Bill Moos has shown he’s not afraid to pay market rates to get the best possible coach. I just hope he values the baseball program highly enough to do it in this case.
From what I hear that is the plan. I'm a skeptic though and will believe it when I see it. Fortunately a few big boosters have high expectations so I don't feel money will be the deciding factor.

However, I'd cross any assistant off the list. Moos will be hiring a head coach.

Reactions: GoBigBlob
If they're throwing big money like that around then it's officially Childress or bust.
That is why I'm s skeptic because I just don't see us doing that. You'd be paying a head baseball coach more than some football assistants. Heck I'd be ok with it but not sure many boosters and regents would. Luckily Hawks is all about it.

Childress then a couple others.. Heller however took over a program that had never been to a regional and had two winning seasons in the previous ten and turned them around completely. They have been much more successful than the Huskers have been since Van Horn with little or no spending. I appreciate feedback but do it with facts rather than supposition. Sorry but Rick Heller would make a very good coach at Neb if someone like Childress is not available!

Why the O’Connor hate?
Oh it's not hate, not at all. I know a few guys in his family and they're all good, decent people, very fine people actually. I'd have a beer with those guys anytime.

Just think that Childress is that much better coach. And I might have snuck in a bit of anti Creighton bias what with them being a death rival and all.

So let's do the IF. IF childress bights Moos bait, would he bring staff with him. That would be HUGE .

Nate Thompson is indeed a real up and come in the baseball world. His wife is from Nebraska so there's that. I would be totally shocked if he would get offered. IF offered he probably doesn't say no.

The State of Iowa would really hate us even more than they do now if Heller came here and we snatched Hoieberg from ISU...

Reactions: saluno22
I think unfortunately that the smoke is coming from Bolt.

Gross lol.

Would not fit any criteria that Moos expressed he wants:

- Power 5 Head Coach experience that is proven
- Elite pitching coach
- Deep recruiting ties to Texas

To me that doesn’t ring Bolt at all, last I checked his wife hates it here and is not all that good. I’d take Nate (Arky) or Seeley (sp) instead.

Gross lol.

- Elite pitching coach

To me that doesn’t ring Bolt at all, last I checked his wife hates it here and is not all that good. I’d take Nate (Arky) or Seeley (sp) instead.
I missed Moos expressing these things. When and where did he say so?

Gross lol.

- Elite pitching coach

Believe it was in a article a while back I’ll see if I can find it.

Below is what I could find from the new article. I believe in a podcast he went on to use the word “Texas recruiting ties” and pitching expert.

“Moos said he’ll be looking for a proven winner and recruiter, preferably with head-coaching experience. Nebraska ties are “nice, but it’s not a prerequisite,” and the salary will be “competitive” with other top jobs nationally.”

I remember reading it in the JournalStar the day after Erstad stepped down.
And even though brnred1989 is correct with what Moos did mention...
I don't necessarily believe Moos this time.

I mentioned Bolt
after the second day of the Northwestern series.
Sticking to my prediction.
But even I am a little concerned, since Texas A&M's season ended the same time ours did, I would have thought there would be a little more smoke by now. Whether it is Childress, Bolt or Seely.
So... is our new coach still currently coaching???

Gross lol.

- Elite pitching coach

Yep. After some thought, even though Moos mentioned head coach experience, as I posted on Husker board, I would go after Nate Thompson. The kids been successful wherever he's been. Trust me, his stock is moving and the direction is up. Van Horn connection as well. Wife is from Nebraska so you don't have to sell that!!

He's going to be a head coach soon. Question is where. I'd roll the dice and take him

Here's my theory, not necessarily a conspiracy...
To my knowledge, even with the great fan support, the baseball program does not turn a profit.
So I am basing my theory on that last statement.
As much as I want to believe our AD will throw the checkbook at a Pat Casey....
How much, is too much? For a program already in the red?
I understand the B1G money rolling in. Even then, when is it too much?
There is no guarantee, that a Pat Casey or even a Rob Childress can live up to some of the expectations expressed. Both have had trouble living up to the high expectations of those respective fan bases over time... I just want people to remember that..

Wait until the new coach gets the pressure from those holding CWS season tickets, who so desperately want the Huskers to go deep, so they can sell off their tickets, and pay off their car.
(had to throw in one conspiracy theory Smokin)

I believe the baseball program is worth whatever financial loss the University is willing to accept. I believe the pride this program brings out in the fans, and people of this State, is immeasurable. And is also needed!

So when I said, I didn't necessarily believe Moos's comments about the next coach's qualifications....
It's not that I don't trust Moos or this department, I do.
It's just that we have been given a pretty good sampling of Moos's hires.
The kind of people he wants representing University.
And that's why I stick to my prediction.
Of the potential names being thrown around...
I don't think there really is a bad hire.

My only qualification for the new Nebraska Baseball head coach would be...
This is the job you want.
Not the job that gets you somewhere else.
And you will have my support.
Go Big Red

I’ll take another VanHorn even if he leaves. Preferably everyone should want a guy to stay forever but that isn’t always possible. I just want national success.

At the end of the day the best way to make it hard to leave is to pay someone what they’re worth. If we treat the pay like a stepping stone job then our odds of being just that is much higher.

I'm not sure the "we don't turn a profit" line really matters much, because I don't think there are but a few baseball programs that do turn a profit, and I'm pretty sure we come closer to turning a profit than many programs do. I also come back to the response I give people who think that we shouldn't expect much from our baseball program because we're in the B1G. Other teams in the B1G with less fan support, facilities that are on par with ours at best, and less history than us are doing better than us. I would extend that to say that those teams for the most part are going out and hiring established head coaches. If that's good enough for them, then I think it should be good enough for us.

On another note, I'm a little wary right now of hiring any current assistant, no matter how good they are supposed to be. The main reason is because of the experience of Todd Butler at Wichita State. He had long been talked about as an assistant who was ready to be a head coach. I remember his name coming up frequently as a possible hire for us before we hired Erstad. He just finished 6 years at Wichita State and never got them to a regional. He only managed two winning seasons. Frankly, I'm surprised he lasted there as long as he did. If a guy widely considered to be an assistant ready to be a head coach couldn't get it done at a school with the fan support and history that Wichita State offers, it makes me skeptical of any assistant. Now I know there are other assistants that have done well in their first head coaching job at a major school, but I think those are more the exception than the norm. I just feel like we are big enough in just about any sport, especially baseball that we should expect to hire somebody with head coaching experience. But saying that also doesn't necessarily mean that it has to be a "big name".

I’ve still be bearing Childress according to some
Highly respected posters
Still having a hard time believing this will happen. If Bill Moos pulls that off, it's even more amazing than hiring Frost or Hoiberg. Regardless of all the ties that Childress has to Nebraska, the fact is going to Nebraska would be a step down from A&M.

Reactions: LonghornInOmaha
Still having a hard time believing this will happen. If Bill Moos pulls that off, it's even more amazing than hiring Frost or Hoiberg. Regardless of all the ties that Childress has to Nebraska, the fact is going to Nebraska would be a step down from A&M.

It helps that a lot of people down there seem to want to run him out of town.

How’s it look Robster?!
Silent. Which tells me they have their guy. The speculation on who that coach is in the focus now. The couple guys I asked feel Childress is a real possibility but A&M admins can still change things (not that I think they will). Those close to Childress (non family) are pushing him to stay at A&M as well.

Another guy I asked says its a done deal, but he has let me down in the past so I don't take what he says and run with it by any means, but still provides good info from time to time.

One thing everyone I've asked has agreed with is how good this AD is at keeping things close to the vest so most things are speculative or 3rd party info at best.

How’s it look Robster?!
Silent. Which tells me they have their guy. The speculation on who that coach is in the focus now. The couple guys I asked feel Childress is a real possibility but A&M admins can still change things (not that I think they will). Those close to Childress (non family) are pushing him to stay at A&M as well.

Another guy I asked says its a done deal, but he has let me down in the past so I don't take what he says and run with it by any means, but still provides good info from time to time.

One thing everyone I've asked has agreed with is how good this AD is at keeping things close to the vest so most things are speculative or 3rd party info at best.

Thank you. I wouldn’t expect anything below a home run hire from Moos especially in a major sport. He showed us twice with football and basketball. Can he do it again?

Reactions: RobsterMobster
I really have a hard time seeing what problems A&M have with Childress. I mean he's had them in the CWS twice, most recently just two years ago. I seem to recall hearing just a few years ago that there was some rumblings of discontent at Arkansas about Dave Van Horn when they had gone through a bit of a down period. That certainly disappeared quickly with what they've done the last two years. I think A&M would be crazy to just let him leave now, but I'd certainly be more than happy to take him if that's how they feel.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT