ADVERTISEMENT

NU coach comparison

While we're talking about thinking like a child, consider that we're talking about the B10 NOW verses the B8 in the 70s and 80s. What the B10 was like in the 70s and 80s is irrelevant.

The 1,2,3 year was 1971, before Osborne. From the time I started college in 1978 to 1996 (the end of the B8), Osborne never had more than 2-3 of his 7 opponents in any year that even had a pulse.

Colorado - from 1978 to 1987, they won 40 games in 10 years, they got good after that until 1995. It's pretty astounding because during the time that they won 4 games a year, they could literally schedule 4 guaranteed wins in the NC season if they wanted to.

Oklahoma State - Probably the best team other than OU over the era, but had 12 losing seasons in the 25 years of TO.

Missouri - Had a couple decent years in the late 70s early 80s, but had 16 losing seasons and played in 6 bowl games during the TO Era.

Iowa State - 19 losing seasons and 2 bowl games in the 25 years of TO.

Kansas State - 18 losing seasons and 6 bowl games in the 25 years of TO. 6-one or zero win seasons. When Snyder took over in 1989, he had losing seasons for 3 of his first 4 years, but they started to win more games later with a combination of emphasizing JUCO transfers, gangster attitude, and scheduling 4 NC games that were guaranteed wins. He essentially forfeited one season by redshirting everyone who had not done so previously before that year.

Kansas - 18 losing seasons and 4 bowl games in the 25 years of TO.

Nebraska's schedule also included 3 really easy NC games a year instead of just 2 now.

Every team now has a sophisticated nutrition and strength training program when for the most part we were one of the only ones back then. It allowed us to play on par with OU for most of the 25 years of TO despite the fact that from 1973 to the late 80s, OU usually had way more natural talent.

There is NO question that TOs schedules in his 25 years were far less challenging than any Nebraska coach faces now. It's not even close.
Your assertions that, “Nebraska’s schedule included 3 really easy NC games a year …” and “There is no question that TO’s schedule in his 25 years were far less challenging than any Nebraska coach faces now. It’s not even close.”, are laughably ignorant.
TO never scheduled or played a division II or FCS opponent. In his 25 year career, TO played 3 teams in the NC schedule that won the national championship (1978 Alabama, 1982 Penn State, 1991 Washington). In his 25 year career, TO played 7 BIG teams for a total of 22 games (MN-6, Wisc-2, Indiana-4, Iowa-5, NW-1, Illinois-2, MSU-2). He played 7 PAC-10 teams for a total of 23 games (UCLA-6, Arizona State-6, Washington-3, Wash St-2, Oregon-3, Oregon St- 2, Cal-1).
He played 4 SEC teams for a total of 8 games (Alabama-2, Auburn-2, LSU-2, S. Carolina-2).
In addition, TO played Independents Penn St 5 times and Fl St 4 times and Syracuse 2 times.
In the non conference schedule, TO coached against Hall of Fame coaches, Don James, Hayden Fry, Terry Donahue, Bobby Bowden, Joe Paterno, Bear Bryant, Pat Dye, Lou Holtz and soon to be Hall of Famer Nick Saban.
The 1973 non conference schedule included #12 UCLA and #14 North Carolina St.
The 1977 non conference schedule included #2 Alabama
The 1981 non conference schedule included Big Ten champion, Iowa, Florida St, #3 Penn State and Auburn
The 1982 non conference schedule included Iowa, #1 Penn State and #14 Auburn.
To assert that 25 years of “easy” non conference schedules was important for TO to win at least 9 games every year is both non factual and demonstrably stupid.

9-3 was the worse TO ever had and you call that mediocre
Technically, 9-3-1 was the worst he had, in 1976. I'd still call that good, just like 9-4 or 10-4. Solich was fired after essentially a 10-3 record, which is crazy to me no matter what.

Your assertions that, “Nebraska’s schedule included 3 really easy NC games a year …” and “There is no question that TO’s schedule in his 25 years were far less challenging than any Nebraska coach faces now. It’s not even close.”, are laughably ignorant.
TO never scheduled or played a division II or FCS opponent. In his 25 year career, TO played 3 teams in the NC schedule that won the national championship (1978 Alabama, 1982 Penn State, 1991 Washington). In his 25 year career, TO played 7 BIG teams for a total of 22 games (MN-6, Wisc-2, Indiana-4, Iowa-5, NW-1, Illinois-2, MSU-2). He played 7 PAC-10 teams for a total of 23 games (UCLA-6, Arizona State-6, Washington-3, Wash St-2, Oregon-3, Oregon St- 2, Cal-1).
He played 4 SEC teams for a total of 8 games (Alabama-2, Auburn-2, LSU-2, S. Carolina-2).
In addition, TO played Independents Penn St 5 times and Fl St 4 times and Syracuse 2 times.
In the non conference schedule, TO coached against Hall of Fame coaches, Don James, Hayden Fry, Terry Donahue, Bobby Bowden, Joe Paterno, Bear Bryant, Pat Dye, Lou Holtz and soon to be Hall of Famer Nick Saban.
The 1973 non conference schedule included #12 UCLA and #14 North Carolina St.
The 1977 non conference schedule included #2 Alabama
The 1981 non conference schedule included Big Ten champion, Iowa, Florida St, #3 Penn State and Auburn
The 1982 non conference schedule included Iowa, #1 Penn State and #14 Auburn.
To assert that 25 years of “easy” non conference schedules was important for TO to win at least 9 games every year is both non factual and demonstrably stupid.
Listen dipshit, you quote the one good NC team they played every year and then say that's evidence that the other 3 were good too.

So before you use words like "demonstratively stupid" maybe you should look in the mirror. You have no idea what you're talking about and yet you respond with calling people stupid. Cherry picking certain years and ignoring the years when we played Cal, Hawaii, and Indiana or Wyoming, Minnesota, and Syracuse or North Texas, Texas Tech, and Colorado State is the definition of stupid. Won't read any more of your lame responses.

Listen dipshit, you quote the one good NC team they played every year and then say that's evidence that the other 3 were good too.

So before you use words like "demonstratively stupid" maybe you should look in the mirror. You have no idea what you're talking about and yet you respond with calling people stupid. Cherry picking certain years and ignoring the years when we played Cal, Hawaii, and Indiana or Wyoming, Minnesota, and Syracuse or North Texas, Texas Tech, and Colorado State is the definition of stupid. Won't read any more of your lame responses.
The big ten today is as soft top to bottom as any major football conference has ever been

Don’t forget Utah State

Looks like I hit a nerve. Just for the record, I’ve forgotten more about Nebraska football history than you’ve ever known. I will debate you any time, dipshit. 😁

Looks like I hit a nerve. Just for the record, I’ve forgotten more about Nebraska football history than you’ve ever known. I will debate you any time, dipshit. 😁
You'd be the guy with spit wads verses me with an AR-15.

dipshit

You'd be the guy with spit wads verses me with an AR-15.

dipshit
You’re the one that started this spit wad contest.

Did you also forget Nebraska playing teams like Washington, Arizona St, Alabama, Auburn,LSU,Penn St, Florida St, and South Carolina etc etc ….

Reactions: Minn1954
If an NU team of 70s/80s quality with TO as a coach existed today, it would routinely win the West and compete with the marquee teams of the East. I count TO's record against B1G competition during his tenure as 22-5. The OOC schedule rountinely included 2-3 teams from major conference.

If an NU team of 70s/80s quality with TO as a coach existed today, it would routinely win the West and compete with the marquee teams of the East. I count TO's record against B1G competition during his tenure as 22-5. The OOC schedule rountinely included 2-3 teams from major conference.
I haven't looked, but does that 22-5 record include any losses to Penn State?

Technically, Penn State didn't join the Big10 until 1990.

In the 70s/80s NU went 3-2 against Penn State.

2 of the five losses are to PSU, plus one each to Wisconsin, Michigan and Iowa.

You’re the one that started this spit wad contest.

Did you also forget Nebraska playing teams like Washington, Arizona St, Alabama, Auburn,LSU,Penn St, Florida St, and South Carolina etc etc ….
No I didn't. But in most cases, those were the one good team we played in the NC season.

Look, if you guys want to believe that the B8 circa 1985 was as tough as the B10 in the 2020s, then knock yourself out. I went to Nebraska KU or KSU games when I was in college and many of their players looked like normal college students like me.

How TO did against the B10 has nothing to do with how good the schedule is now verses in 1985. If we still had the same quality football program we had in the 1990s, we would probably win the west most of the time and win the conference 1/2 of those times, but in the mid 1990s, we only had to run through 1 really good team to win the conference (OU most of the time, CU some of the time). In the current B10, to win the conference, you have to win at least 2 of those games and sometimes as many as 4-5.

I challenge you to find any year under Osborne or Devaney where we had to play the schedule we had to play in 2021.

• Haha
Reactions: king_kong_
How TO did against the B10 has nothing to do with how good the schedule is now verses in 1985. If we still had the same quality football program we had in the 1990s, we would probably win the west most of the time and win the conference 1/2 of those times, but in the mid 1990s, we only had to run through 1 really good team to win the conference (OU most of the time, CU some of the time). In the current B10, to win the conference, you have to win at least 2 of those games and sometimes as many as 4-5.

I challenge you to find any year under Osborne or Devaney where we had to play the schedule we had to play in 2021.
the best team we played last year got blown out in the playoffs & finished outside the top 5

No I didn't. But in most cases, those were the one good team we played in the NC season.

Look, if you guys want to believe that the B8 circa 1985 was as tough as the B10 in the 2020s, then knock yourself out. I went to Nebraska KU or KSU games when I was in college and many of their players looked like normal college students like me.
It's not that, it's that with the exception of OU (the tOSU of its day) and OOC teams like PSU and Bama, NU was more than a level above the other P5 teams it played. And of course the comparison isn't apples to apples, as athletes have obviously changed since from 25-50 years ago.

And Barney Cotton is still the only Nebraska head coach to never win a game. Scott Frost thanks you for your sacrifice, Barn.

OMG, you are an expert on Nebraska football because you watched Nebraska beat up on KU and KSU while you were in college? I truly wish you were able to appreciate what a joke you are 😂
I attended several Nebraska, KU and KSU games in the 1980s including two at the high school stadium in Manhattan. Nebraska destroyed both teams in those games, but unlike you, I didn’t focus my attention on the size of the football players because I guess I’m not that kind of guy … not that there’s anything wrong with that.

OMG, you are an expert on Nebraska football because you watched Nebraska beat up on KU and KSU while you were in college? I truly wish you were able to appreciate what a joke you are 😂
I attended several Nebraska, KU and KSU games in the 1980s including two at the high school stadium in Manhattan. Nebraska destroyed both teams in those games, but unlike you, I didn’t focus my attention on the size of the football players because I guess I’m not that kind of guy … not that there’s anything wrong with that.
OMG, are you a freaking valley girl?

everyone who looks at Solich’s tenure with rose-tinted glasses fails to explain why he was never even considered for another P5 job

even guys like Rich Rod & Todd Graham got multiple cracks

ADVERTISEMENT