ADVERTISEMENT

NU coach comparison

4-3 D

Athletic Director
Jan 15, 2007
Was watching an old husker DVD of NU beating KU when Solich was HC and they showed a ranking of NU's HC's after 47 games. Guess they used 47 games as a 4 season average back then.

Devaney 41-6
Solich 40-7
Osborne 35-10-2

I added some others

Pelini 34-13
Callahan 26-21
Frost 16-31

Was watching an old husker DVD of NU beating KU when Solich was HC and they showed a ranking of NU's HC's after 47 games. Guess they used 47 games as a 4 season average back then.

Devaney 41-6
Solich 40-7
Osborne 35-10-2

I added some others

Pelini 34-13
Callahan 26-21
Frost 16-31
Pelini had almost the same record as Osborne over 47 games bring back Pelini he is our savior

Well that cant be right. Nebraska is not a place for first time head coaches. We have to double check the records, no way a first time head coach did that good at Nebraska.
I checked. Solich and TO's numbers are right. I didn't check the other ones.

Well that cant be right. Nebraska is not a place for first time head coaches. We have to double check the records, no way a first time head coach did that good at Nebraska.
Haha. It’s all that’s ever been good at Nebraska outside of Devaney.

In reality Frank was never an OC before Tom turned over the reins and Frank was a shitty recruiter. Just shows that Mickey with his recruiting skills could run the program. He would need good coordinators.

andoh yeah, Frank had Eric Crouch. Without Crouch Frank’s record would look vastly different

Reactions: itseasyas1-2-3
In reality Frank was never an OC before Tom turned over the reins and Frank was a shitty recruiter. Just shows that Mickey with his recruiting skills could run the program. He would need good coordinators.
The question is, would Mickey go out and get the best coordinators or would he hire his drinking buddies like Scott Frost?

It's also a higher bar with more games than yesteryear.

Devaney had a superb record as a head coach and had 5 years in the head position before taking the NE job. 77.78 win percentage not including ties. If you consider a tie good enough as a win then his win % was 80%. Then he went on to prove he kicked ass at Nebraska.

Tom O I'm sure could have kicked ass at Colorado had he left for the Buffaloes HC position.

Frank and Bo proved indicate they weren't going to get Nebraska to a championship level by their records post Nebraska.

The bar is higher, there are more games. I think that only stresses that if you want championship level football and you're not selling your nuts off to get a high % win coach @NU then get comfortable being Iowa west.

devaney was the 4th choice for the hc at ne at the time. 3 others turned down the job.
That lays bare the nature of picking a HC. Bob was choice 4 and Frost was considered a lock. Outside of a few sure things (remember Frost!), picking the guy is a crapshoot.

Reactions: zrob and huntered

andoh yeah, Frank had Eric Crouch. Without Crouch Frank’s record would look vastly different
Frank went 17-10 with Jamaal Lord at QB.

But saying it's because of Crouch is like saying that if we never had Tommy Frazier or Turner Gill, then TO's not a good coach. TO had some mediocre records with mediocre QBs too.

During Solich's tenure, we recruited better than Riley, or Frost ever did.

DeJuan Groce
Chris Kelsay
Jeremy Selecta
Toniu Fonoti
Trevor Johnson
TJ Hollowell
Daniel Bullocks
Josh Bullocks
Richie Incognito
Barrett Ruud
Stewart Bradley
LeKevin Smith
Adam Carriker
Matt Herian
Jay Moore
Fabian Washington
Demorrio Williams

Not great for 6 years, but past Palmer, name one player on this year's team that as good as any of these players. Also, there's 7 really good OL/DL players on this list, not just the latest list of potentially hot WRs. There are also 5-6 All American talent level players on this list.

Pelini had almost the same record as Osborne over 47 games bring back Pelini he is our savior

2 of Pelini's losses were in Championship games.

10-3

Looks better than 10-4...lol

Probably finishing top 10 if no championship games had to be played.

And 2 conference championships had it been Osborne's era.

Reactions: RiLLLLLLLLey

But saying it's because of Crouch is like saying that if we never had Tommy Frazier or Turner Gill, then TO's not a good coach. TO had some mediocre records with mediocre QBs too.

DeJuan Groce
Chris Kelsay
Jeremy Selecta
Toniu Fonoti
Trevor Johnson
TJ Hollowell
Daniel Bullocks
Josh Bullocks
Richie Incognito
Barrett Ruud
Stewart Bradley
LeKevin Smith
Adam Carriker
Matt Herian
Jay Moore
Fabian Washington
Demorrio Williams

Not great for 6 years, but past Palmer, name one player on this year's team that as good as any of these players. Also, there's 7 really good OL/DL players on this list, not just the latest list of potentially hot WRs. There are also 5-6 All American talent level players on this list.
9-3 was the worse TO ever had and you call that mediocre

That lays bare the nature of picking a HC. Bob was choice 4 and Frost was considered a lock. Outside of a few sure things (remember Frost!), picking the guy is a crapshoot.
One thing we know for sure however, is that MJ would recruit well, which is essential for the next hire imo.

Reactions: headcard
9-3 was the worse TO ever had and you call that mediocre
Yes, it was mediocre. I lived through that time and to be honest, TO had some teams that were very lucky to finish 9-3, and it only happened because he was literally guaranteed wins over KU, KSU, Colorado, Missouri, and Iowa State for 75% of his seasons.

1974, 1976, 1977, 1985, 1989, 1990, and 1991 were all seasons where if Nebraska had played in a conference that was as competitive as the current B10, they would have struggled to win 6-8 games in an 11 game season.

Yes, it was mediocre. I lived through that time and to be honest, TO had some teams that were very lucky to finish 9-3, and it only happened because he was literally guaranteed wins over KU, KSU, Colorado, Missouri, and Iowa State for 75% of his seasons.

1974, 1976, 1977, 1985, 1989, 1990, and 1991 were all seasons where if Nebraska had played in a conference that was as competitive as the current B10, they would have struggled to win 6-8 games in an 11 game season.
i lived thru those years also and remember dumbasses in the stands calling for osbornes firing. guess you were one of them

Classic.

”Frank couldnt recruit…”

”Frank had crouch without him his record…”

Frank recruited Crouch. Twice actually.

Reactions: moralvictories
It's a lot easier to get his point if he'd use a sarcasm emoji. He's apparently on the "give me Mickey Joseph or give me death" wagon. Or maybe I misread.
Neither. It was sarcasm. I do want to see how the MJ saga plays out, unless we have a ringer waiting in the wings. I just hope TA doesn't get someone for the sake of it. And where is the sarcasm emoji? 🤔

Neither. It was sarcasm. I do want to see how the MJ saga plays out, unless we have a ringer waiting in the wings. I just hope TA doesn't get someone for the sake of it. And where is the sarcasm emoji? 🤔
Oh, the sarcasm emoji is up to you... could be :Cool:... could be :cool:, could be 😏...

Those years you mention the same could be said for the Pac 8, Big 10, SW Conference, SEC. THEY all had their two, three top teams and the rest were just like the Big 8. And against teams from those leagues during the years mentioned Nebraska was more than competitive when they played them. Those teams were much better than you give them credit for.
Mediocre? Hardly.

DeJuan Groce
Chris Kelsay
Jeremy Selecta
Toniu Fonoti
Trevor Johnson
TJ Hollowell
Daniel Bullocks
Josh Bullocks
Richie Incognito
Barrett Ruud
Stewart Bradley
LeKevin Smith
Adam Carriker
Matt Herian
Jay Moore
Fabian Washington
Demorrio Williams

I agree on your list, we’d love to see players of their talent on this years team.

The question is, would Mickey go out and get the best coordinators or would he hire his drinking buddies like Scott Frost?
Mickey doesn’t have drinkin buddies. His buddies are high performing assistants and head coaches. Trev would be very involved with any assistant hires just as he was with MJ, BB and Applewhite.

Reactions: headcard
i lived thru those years also and remember dumbasses in the stands calling for osbornes firing. guess you were one of them
Where in my post did I ever indicate that I was calling for TO to be fired? I only remember one time that anyone seriously talked about that (after the 1977 season) and it was something just a few people talked about for a short time.

No, I never called for TO to to be fired, and frankly when he was struggling early in some years, I was still a child. Tom Osborne was a great coach, one of the greatest of all time. But it's quite likely that if he was coaching Nebraska today on the current landscape of 50-60 teams who have money and really great strength/development programs, that he probably wouldn't win at least 9 games every year, especially in this conference. That status is now reserved for teams who recruit at a level way above the level that TO ever recruited, and unfortunately, Nebraska is not in that club.

I really don't understand people who don't seem to be too astute in reading comprehension.

….. and today ( and the last 4 years) you be guaranteed a win if you played Nebraska .

We all look back with rose colored glasses. People were calling for TO to be fired twice. Once in the 70s when he kept losing to Oklahoma and didn’t seem to be able to get over the hump. In his first 7 seasons he was 1-7 vs Oklahoma and had a hard time beating good teams.

The second was late 80s/early 90s when his nickname was 2-8-1 before changing his defensive style and modifying his offense.

Where in my post did I ever indicate that I was calling for TO to be fired? I only remember one time that anyone seriously talked about that (after the 1977 season) and it was something just a few people talked about for a short time.

No, I never called for TO to to be fired, and frankly when he was struggling early in some years, I was still a child. Tom Osborne was a great coach, one of the greatest of all time. But it's quite likely that if he was coaching Nebraska today on the current landscape of 50-60 teams who have money and really great strength/development programs, that he probably wouldn't win at least 9 games every year, especially in this conference. That status is now reserved for teams who recruit at a level way above the level that TO ever recruited, and unfortunately, Nebraska is not in that club.

I really don't understand people who don't seem to be too astute in reading comprehension.
let's review, you called TO mediocre with a 9-3 record playing in the big 8 during the 70's and 80's'. while admittedly not the sec with alabama during the last 15 years, easily comparable to the rest of sec of today. the big 10 of those years was just another also ran. come to think of it they still are.

let's review, you called TO mediocre with a 9-3 record playing in the big 8 during the 70's and 80's'. while admittedly not the sec with alabama during the last 15 years, easily comparable to the rest of sec of today. the big 10 of those years was just another also ran. come to think of it they still are.
Again, when did I call for TO to be fired? Please review that.

Also, it's indisputable that it's tougher to win now in this conference than in the B8 in the 70s or 80s. Saying that the B8 in the 70s is comparable to the SEC (less Alabama) now is laughable.

When Nebraska played a B10 school in the 70s and 80s, it usually was one of their worst teams, like Minnesota or Indiana. I remember one year when we were in the top 5 and went into Madison Wisconsin and got our asses kicked. As long as I've been alive, we NEVER played Ohio State or Michigan before we joined the B10 except in a bowl game.

Also, it's indisputable that it's tougher to win now in this conference than in the B8 in the 70s or 80s. Saying that the B8 in the 70s is comparable to the SEC (less Alabama) now is laughable.

When Nebraska played a B10 school in the 70s and 80s, it usually was one of their worst teams, like Minnesota or Indiana. I remember one year when we were in the top 5 and went into Madison Wisconsin and got our asses kicked. As long as I've been alive, we NEVER played Ohio State or Michigan before we joined the B10 except in a bowl game.
big 8 typically ranked 1 or 2 at season end. one year they were ranked 1,2,3 and 7. big 10 never were. two different era's however big 8 clearly out performed big 10. overhyped big 10 didn't play anybody outside the overhyped pac and then they usually lost.

you admitted you were a child during that time and clearly you thought like a child.

big 8 typically ranked 1 or 2 at season end. one year they were ranked 1,2,3 and 7. big 10 never were. two different era's however big 8 clearly out performed big 10. overhyped big 10 didn't play anybody outside the overhyped pac and then they usually lost.

you admitted you were a child during that time and clearly you thought like a child.
While we're talking about thinking like a child, consider that we're talking about the B10 NOW verses the B8 in the 70s and 80s. What the B10 was like in the 70s and 80s is irrelevant.

The 1,2,3 year was 1971, before Osborne. From the time I started college in 1978 to 1996 (the end of the B8), Osborne never had more than 2-3 of his 7 opponents in any year that even had a pulse.

Colorado - from 1978 to 1987, they won 40 games in 10 years, they got good after that until 1995. It's pretty astounding because during the time that they won 4 games a year, they could literally schedule 4 guaranteed wins in the NC season if they wanted to.

Oklahoma State - Probably the best team other than OU over the era, but had 12 losing seasons in the 25 years of TO.

Missouri - Had a couple decent years in the late 70s early 80s, but had 16 losing seasons and played in 6 bowl games during the TO Era.

Iowa State - 19 losing seasons and 2 bowl games in the 25 years of TO.

Kansas State - 18 losing seasons and 6 bowl games in the 25 years of TO. 6-one or zero win seasons. When Snyder took over in 1989, he had losing seasons for 3 of his first 4 years, but they started to win more games later with a combination of emphasizing JUCO transfers, gangster attitude, and scheduling 4 NC games that were guaranteed wins. He essentially forfeited one season by redshirting everyone who had not done so previously before that year.

Kansas - 18 losing seasons and 4 bowl games in the 25 years of TO.

Nebraska's schedule also included 3 really easy NC games a year instead of just 2 now.

Every team now has a sophisticated nutrition and strength training program when for the most part we were one of the only ones back then. It allowed us to play on par with OU for most of the 25 years of TO despite the fact that from 1973 to the late 80s, OU usually had way more natural talent.

There is NO question that TOs schedules in his 25 years were far less challenging than any Nebraska coach faces now. It's not even close.

Last edited:

Losing 20-21 isn’t getting your ass kicked..We happened to only pass 13 times in that game and two those were intercepted..Wisconsin passed for 242 yards and won the game on 77 yard TD pass..

The following 2 weeks Nebraska beat NW 49-7 and Minnesota 54-0..

Missouri played Illinois quite open and usually beat them..

You still sound like a child. And this is honestly one of the dumbest posts I've ever seen on here. Yes, TO was one of the greatest coaches of all time. And he would be dominant in any era, maybe especially in this soft era where most teams don't even know what an I-formation is.

Reactions: Minn1954
While we're talking about thinking like a child, consider that we're talking about the B10 NOW verses the B8 in the 70s and 80s. What the B10 was like in the 70s and 80s is irrelevant.

The 1,2,3 year was 1971, before Osborne. From the time I started college in 1978 to 1996 (the end of the B8), Osborne never had more than 2-3 of his 7 opponents in any year that even had a pulse.

Colorado - from 1978 to 1987, they won 40 games in 10 years, they got good after that until 1995. It's pretty astounding because during the time that they won 4 games a year, they could literally schedule 4 guaranteed wins in the NC season if they wanted to.

Oklahoma State - Probably the best team other than OU over the era, but had 12 losing seasons in the 25 years of TO.

Missouri - Had a couple decent years in the late 70s early 80s, but had 16 losing seasons and played in 6 bowl games during the TO Era.

Kansas State - 18 losing seasons and 6 bowl games in the 25 years of TO. 6-one or zero win seasons. When Snyder took over in 1989, he had losing seasons for 3 of his first 4 years, but they started to win more games later with a combination of emphasizing JUCO transfers, gangster attitude, and scheduling 4 NC games that were guaranteed wins. He essentially forfeited one season by redshirting everyone who had not done so previously before that year.

Nebraska's schedule also included 3 really easy NC games a year instead of just 2 now.

Every team now has a sophisticated nutrition and strength training program when for the most part we were one of the only ones back then. It allowed us to play on par with OU for most of the 25 years of TO despite the fact that from 1973 to the late 80s, OU usually had way more natural talent.

There is NO question that TOs schedules in his 25 years were far less challenging than any Nebraska coach faces now. It's not even close.
One of the reasons those teams had losing seasons is because both Nebraska and Oklahoma were pretty much automatic losses for them.

you are sadly misrepresenting the TO years by picking and choosing the records of big 8 schools during toms time. here is one example. iowa state during the time that earl bruce coached during a 3 year run in the mid 70's had the best record in college football. how is that possible?
you are trying to match two different eras and say it was just easier back then. start comparing apples to apples and nuts to nuts. get off the booze or get some help. you are not a victim and are capable of clear thinking

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT