ADVERTISEMENT

NU BSB: Statement from Pat Kelly

Mike Matya

Nebraska Legend
May 29, 2001
Bellevue, Nebraska [formerly Omaha]
Nebraska second baseman Pat Kelly announced on Tuesday morning that he will forego his senior season at Nebraska and instead sign a professional baseball contract with the Minnesota Twins.

A native of Red Wing, Minn., Kelly was selected last Saturday in the 12th round of the MLB First-Year Player Draft by his home state Twins.

"My last three years at Nebraska have been some of the best years of my life, but after talking with my family I have decided that it is time for me to pursue my dream of playing Major League Baseball."

"It was an honor to be part of a special group of guys that put Nebraska back on the national baseball map this season. The guys I played with were not only great ball players, but also friends that I will never forget."

"I can't say enough about the coaching staff at Nebraska. They have helped me become the player I'm today and wouldn't be in the position I'm without them."

A three-time All-Big Ten performer and two-time first-team selection, Kelly has led the Huskers in hits each of the past two seasons. He ends his three-year career ranked 20th in school history with 212 career hits. A career .319 hitter, Kelly roped 28 doubles, four triples, 14 home run and drove in 125 runs.

Kelly started Nebraska's last 135 games and was one of the top defenders in the nation. He posted a .990 fielding percentage in 2014, as he committed just three errors, and he leaves Nebraska ranked seventh in school history with 468 assists.

"I'm going to miss playing in front of the greatest fans in college baseball and the memories I made at Hawks Field will be something I'll never forget."

This post was edited on 6/10 2:28 PM by Mike Matya

Huge loss, but congrats to PK. He needs to get in somebody's ear and have Minnesota sign Pritchard to a free agent deal.

Good for Pat and tough to blame the guy, how many of us would jump at the chance to play for our favorite team we grew up watching?

Been a tough draft for the Huskers.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

"...one of the top defenders in the nation. He posted a .990 fielding percentage in 2014."

Well there goes my favorite Husker. Battling back from injuries and freshman mistakes at shortstop to starring at second base - he was terrific. Best of luck, Pat.

He will definitely be missed. honestly I will always equate pat kelly with the resurgence of husker baseball.

A lot of great posts in this thread so there really is noting left to say other than good luck Pat and it's been a privilege watching you grow as a ball player over the last three seasons. GBR!
Posted from Rivals Mobile

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT