ADVERTISEMENT

NU -4.5

down to 4 at Bookmaker. If you have faith in the offense, pound it now.

The offense will bounce back in a HUGE way. We know what type of offense we have and we all know what type of QB we have in Adrain Martinez. They simply had an off game. Plus side is, we seen our defense do a 180. Even against cupcake teams our defense didn’t play as well as it did this Saturday. If that continues and our offense wakes up...look out. But having off games, It happens to every team...every QB. To bad I’m not into betting, I’d jump.

Reactions: blackshirts25
My only concern I have is still the secondary. Yes I know but they had interceptions yea yea... I got it but even with that I felt the coverage left a lot to be desired. There were a few very obvious passing downs ie 3rd and 12s and longer you know they are passing either get into a zone or have you best cover corners in... but I know USA doesn’t have any WRs that are the quality of what we will see this coming Saturday and their WRs were beating man coverage on a regular.... now they did do good on creating turnovers from the blitzes or when we were sitting in zones... but once we lined up in man we got burnt

My only concern I have is still the secondary. Yes I know but they had interceptions yea yea... I got it but even with that I felt the coverage left a lot to be desired. There were a few very obvious passing downs ie 3rd and 12s and longer you know they are passing either get into a zone or have you best cover corners in... but I know USA doesn’t have any WRs that are the quality of what we will see this coming Saturday and their WRs were beating man coverage on a regular.... now they did do good on creating turnovers from the blitzes or when we were sitting in zones... but once we lined up in man we got burnt
I agree with you, however, I think Montez is going to be running for his life a lot of the time. I hope we come at him out the gates and get in his brain a little.

Well those DBs only allowed 19-35 which is 54% completion rating and had 3 INTs and a number of pass deflections. A few of the longer pass plays where on our LBs...not DBs. I know one was a wheel route that beat Alex Davis (250-260 pound OLB) on coverage. I remember hearing Matt Davison saying thats not a good match up having A Davis on a player like that.

Sure, the QB found a few WRs and RBs that found wholes in the zone but our CBs where not burnt very often. A few times our CBs had the WR blanketed but the QB put it on the numbers. There isn’t much you can do on passes like that. A lot of those bigger plays where passes out in the flat or screen passes.

On the Plus side, our defense as a whole only allowed 91 total yards in the first half. Had our offense showed up at all, even more so in the second half.....S Bama wouldn’t have gotten much of a rhythm at all the 2nd half. We only had 15 offensive snaps the 2nd half.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/playbyplay?gameId=401112238

Here’s how S Bamas offensive series looked....
Drive 1: 6 plays 23 yards
Drive 2: 9 plays 41 yards
Drive 3: 3 plays 22 yards
Drive 4: 5 plays 8 yards
Drive 5: 5 plays 26 yards
Drive 6 3 plays -2 yards
Drive 7: 1 play 4 yards
Total of 122 yards
End of half
Second half
Drive 1: 4 plays 17 yards
Drive 2: 3 plays 7 yards
Drive 3: 6 plays 12 yards
Drive 4: 3 plays 13 yards
Drive 5: 6 plays 58 yards
Drive 6: 2 plays -11 yards
Drive 7: 5 plays 14 yards
Drive 8: 8 plays 37 yards
Drive 9: 2 plays 8 yards
Drive 10: 8 plays 56 yards.
Total of 211 yards

As you see, our defense held up very well. They where far from being burnt at all. But in the second half when S Bama kept getting the ball back...it did eventually wear down our defense a bit and sure...then they gave up a few more yards.

Last edited:
Well those DBs only allowed 19-35 which is 54% completion rating and had 3 INTs and a number of pass deflections. A few of the longer pass plays where on our LBs...not DBs. I know one was a wheel route that beat Alex Davis (250-260 pound OLB) on coverage. I remember hearing Matt Davison saying thats not a good match up having A Davis on a player like that.

Sure, the QB found a few WRs and RBs that found wholes in the zone but our CBs where not burnt very often. A few times our CBs had the WR blanketed but the QB put it on the numbers. There isn’t much you can do on passes like that. A lot of those bigger plays where passes out in the flat or screen passes.

On the Plus side, our defense as a whole only allowed 91 total yards in the first half. Had our offense showed up at all, even more so in the second half.....S Bama wouldn’t have gotten much of a rhythm at all the 2nd half. We only had 15 offensive snaps the 2nd half.

Those are all great points, I’ll have to go back and watch some of those longer plays... and I absolutely agree with the d in general showing improvement, I wasn’t overly concerned about the yardage the D gave up... when your offense isn’t on the field in the second half the d is going to surrender yardage...

With that said I still have concerns about the DBs and I’ll go back to take a closer look but initial thought was our man coverage was not very tight, our interceptions came when it looked like we were playing in zone coverage. I just know the quality of WR we will see against the buffs, their WR1 (can’t think of his name) is a projected high 1st round pick next year... and I don’t think their QB will be running for his life like the other poster mentioned... again it seemed like the only time we generated pressure Was when we sent in a QB blitz... but I must say I haven’t got to watch the whole game yet I listened to the whole thing on radio and have went and watched only a few clips of plays from the calls I heard and I wanted to see what was going on... so you may have a better understanding and a better break down of that aspect then I may have

Drive 6 3 plays -2 yards
End of half
Second half

As you see, our defense held up very well. They where far from being burnt at all. But in the second half when S Bama kept getting the ball back...it did eventually wear down our defense a bit and sure...they gave up a few more yards.

Nice break down there, that really does a good job of showing how the d as a whole played... and man they were out there a lot... I just want to take a closer look at the DBs to see if my concerns are warranted, because listening on the radio made it sound like the DBs got beat on quite a few plays that you’d like to think they’d know a pass was coming and would be able to lock their man up...

Reactions: huskerssalts
Those are all great points, I’ll have to go back and watch some of those longer plays... and I absolutely agree with the d in general showing improvement, I wasn’t overly concerned about the yardage the D gave up... when your offense isn’t on the field in the second half the d is going to surrender yardage...

With that said I still have concerns about the DBs and I’ll go back to take a closer look but initial thought was our man coverage was not very tight, our interceptions came when it looked like we were playing in zone coverage. I just know the quality of WR we will see against the buffs, their WR1 (can’t think of his name) is a projected high 1st round pick next year... and I don’t think their QB will be running for his life like the other poster mentioned... again it seemed like the only time we generated pressure Was when we sent in a QB blitz... but I must say I haven’t got to watch the whole game yet I listened to the whole thing on radio and have went and watched only a few clips of plays from the calls I heard and I wanted to see what was going on... so you may have a better understanding and a better break down of that aspect then I may have

Just look at my post above this one...it gives a better idea and also has a link to the play by play of the whole game. You can even click on the drives and see what happened during said drive...

They cherry picked those int's, too easy. Terrible reads/throws by the USA QB. No QB we play this year will be making those mistakes. There were moments of some really bad coverage and tackling by the secondary. Not discrediting the overall performance of the D but there were a couple concerning moments.

They cherry picked those int's, too easy. Terrible reads/throws by the USA QB. No QB we play this year will be making those mistakes. There were moments of some really bad coverage and tackling by the secondary. Not discrediting the overall performance of the D but there were a couple concerning moments.

Which drives do you mean? I listed every single drive and how many yards they got on said drive? Forgive me for not taking anything away from Lee Jr and Cam Taylor on their picks. They earned ever bit of those. Our defense only allowed two drives over 50 yards. Outside that..S Bama was held to 8-23 yards per drive most times.

Without watching the game and just listening to it that was the impression that I had as well, and just going back over and looking at the stats for pass break ups there were only 4 listed total and two were by bootle... so I went and then looked at their pass attempts/ completions they were 19/35 with 3 picks... one pick was just a bone head call by their coach, you had a back up QB come in for what was going to be only one play while your starter had to sit because of his helmet and you have him try and toss a deep out... that’s a pro through not a backup college QB through... but I digress the point is it doesn’t seem like our DBs forced those incompletions as much as it seems that their QBs just didn’t make the best of throws

Which drives do you mean? I listed every single drive and how many yards they got on said drive? Forgive me for not taking anything away from Lee Jr and Cam Taylor on their picks. They earned ever bit of those. Our defense only allowed two drives over 50 yards. Outside that..S Bama was held to 8-23 yards per drive most times.

And again I want to stress I’m right there with you on this, I won’t take anything away from those two on their picks, they made great plays to get the ball and they made those plays when we needed them to... I just would like to see the secondary as a whole play tighter coverage and force more incompletions especially on third and longs when we need to get the D off the field... that was an issue for us last year as well and it seems like it’s been that way for a few years, where the D will get to a 3rd and long for the offense to be bailed out by a long completion or an untimely penalty...

Ok, after watching the highlights I have to say on Eric lees pick 6 that was one of the best all around plays I’d seen from one of our DBs in a long time. I watched only him on that play and he read that thing like a book and made a hell of a break on that ball... impressed by that play along with the other two interceptions... but without being able to watch the whole game which I’ll try to do tomorrow I still don’t know how I feel about that secondary as a whole, those three interceptions were only three plays from the whole game... and I’ll break it down to it was only 3 plays of the 35 total pass plays... I’m not saying our secondary is complete garbage but I am saying I don’t have complete confidence in them yet...

Reactions: SC_'sker
Back to the line- that line lets me know at least Vegas is optimistic about us. This is the old Vegas rope-a-dope. Vegas set the line high on Nebraska per the general public perception and they expect major money to roll in on CU. Easy money, right? He’ll most people should be tempted to bet CU money line and get even better odds.

That’s the rope-a-dope. Vegas totally expects us to destroy Colorado. They are begging people to bet CU.

DLine is a bigger concern than are the DBs

Reactions: SC_'sker

giphy.gif

Reactions: dinglefritz

You need to revisit Montez’s career of horrible reads and bad throws

I thought the D Line played a solid game, remember in a 3-4 D it’s not the lines job to create pressure, it’s the lines job to eat blocks, QB pressure in a three 4 is a better indicator of how our linebackers played, running yardage is a solid indicator of how well the line played, I do think there is room to grow for the line but all and all I thought it was a solid outing for them... not all world but solid

I thought the D Line played a solid game, remember in a 3-4 D it’s not the lines job to create pressure, it’s the lines job to eat blocks, QB pressure in a three 4 is a better indicator of how our linebackers played, running yardage is a solid indicator of how well the line played, I do think there is room to grow for the line but all and all I thought it was a solid outing for them... not all world but solid

I didn’t think it was terrible. My expectations were pretty high, especially out the gate. Didn’t think they were holding their ground very well, but this is based on watching it live.

Reactions: oldjar07
The D ends weren't good at all. Darrien is a stud though, one of the best players on the team. Damien isn't far behind him.

The D ends weren't good at all. Darrien is a stud though, one of the best players on the team. Damien isn't far behind him.
I thought the younger Danniels might have played ever better than his brother. NT was a bright spot, for sure.

Reactions: huskerssalts

Drive 6 3 plays -2 yards
Total of 122 yards
End of half
Second half
Total of 211 yards

As you see, our defense held up very well. They where far from being burnt at all. But in the second half when S Bama kept getting the ball back...it did eventually wear down our defense a bit and sure...then they gave up a few more yards.
I would wait until we play a real team to make a judgement about our defense. The following teams held South Alabama to the following points last year:

Okie state held them to 13
Appalacian state held them to 7
Georgia Southern held them to 13
Troy held them to 17
Arkansas State held them to 14
LA-Monroe held them to 10

South Alabama is a really bad team.

you weren't a wee bit concerned with the inability to block very well?

I would wait until we play a real team to make a judgement about our defense. The following teams held South Alabama to the following points last year:

Okie state held them to 13
Appalacian state held them to 7
Georgia Southern held them to 13
Troy held them to 17
Arkansas State held them to 14
LA-Monroe held them to 10

South Alabama is a really bad team.

Yep and that there was year 1 for them under their current Head Coach. I’d hope teams last year would have played them strong or better. I repeated over and over again I know it’s S Bama...but compared to how our defense has been in the PAST, our defense has improved. Our defense the past couple years would have allowed S Bama to put up 500-600 yards or something ridiculous. Along with almost 40 points. I’m not trying to claim this was an outstanding defense and we are back in anyway. But compared to how we done in the past, at least the past several years...our defense has turned a corner, at least a small corner.

Last edited:
More likely of an outcome than many would like to admit.

once again, it seems you're the only who thinks this outside of the buffs board.

vegas and hell even iowa fans think we right the ship.

hoping for a heaping helping of crow on your plate saturday night

Reactions: headcard
once again, it seems you're the only who thinks this outside of the buffs board.

vegas and hell even iowa fans think we right the ship.

hoping for a heaping helping of crow on your plate saturday night

Hope so man. Hope so.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT