ADVERTISEMENT

NU 3 over the 85 Scholarship Limit...

TheBeav815

Nebraska Football Hall of Fame
Feb 19, 2007
Chicago Suburbs
...and seeking a JUCO for the Back 7 this fall per rivals article.

Will some graduations take care of that scholarship numbers crunch? Or are some guys going to have to "matriculate elsewhere" to make that happen?

I was surprised the article mentioned them looking for a Safety or corner. LB I was not surprised. There seems to be a ton of depth at corner, and I figured we could expect some combo of Alexander, Gerry and Cockerell (sp?) at safety.

Interesting. We do lose some CBs after this year, not sure on safety.

I like that they are looking for guys to add if we have more attrition than expected. Hopefully a spot opens for Mittermeier this fall
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by ssmith84:
Interesting. We do lose some CBs after this year, not sure on safety.

I like that they are looking for guys to add if we have more attrition than expected. Hopefully a spot opens for Mittermeier this fall
Is he the JUCO tackle? They'll make a spot for that position. Tackle is a big need.

They're expecting Alexander and Gerry to both go pro after the 2015 season.

smokin.r191677.gif

Sutton & Whitaker are 2 names that kind of pop out. Are these guys even physically ok to play football?

Although a lot of talent in the DB field, there have been health issues with Davie, Jackson, Rose and now Gerry and Cockrell. Players that are hurt, tend to get hurt for some reason. But up until now thought our deepest positions talent wise might have been the defensive backfield and WR. The youngsters like Kalu, Jones and Mosley all seem to be on the come at CB and K. Williams and A. Williams seem to be there at safety. With veterans Gerry, Cockrell, Jackson and Alexander holding down the safety positions and veterans, Davie, Rose, Jackson and Cockrell in the mix for the starting CB and nickle positions.

5-7 kids will move on after the semester ends. Some by their choice, some by coaches choice. Coaches will be meeting one-on-one with each player over the next couple of weeks.

With those two leaving; it would seem it would be because they expect to be in the top two rounds of the draft- that means we expect them to perform at AA levels. Setting up to be a great D; lb's include 6 on scholie, they want 12 - so juice and recruits seem most likely a need here. I love our young cb's. I think we are being coached up; and I feel Warren was good.
Its good we help kids play here or elsewhere in a measured way. Get your shot; learn a lot - make the most of offered opportunities; even a transfer.

Now with 4-year scholarships, B1G coaches aren't simply allowed to run off scholarship players anymore -- just because they don't pan out.

At least that's what Delany says...

Originally posted by Cornicator:

smokin.r191677.gif
Neither is close to ready.

When has not being ready stopped a kid from declaring if they think they can get the money? I would be shocked if they went early though.

Originally posted by dinglefritz:
When has not being ready stopped a kid from declaring if they think they can get the money? I would be shocked if they went early though.
Not sure how much money they think they can get in the later rounds.

Originally posted by rrthusker:

Originally posted by dinglefritz:
Not sure how much money they think they can get in the later rounds.
Some kids get bad ideas though and think they will go higher than they will. Davison doesn't help when he repeatedly says that Alexander and Gerry are NFL talent. I've heard several people say on the radio that Gerry is NFL ready now.

Did I forget something? Isn't there an advisory and rating panel to give them an Idea where they will be drafted? Think so ; so no brainer if its a first round prediction. I haven't checked the numbers; but the dollars drop dramatically and surely the guarantees as you go through the second round - So if you are on an uptrend; I would guess you a fool to go early if the money isn't really there. GBR

I think you all missed the sarcasm in that post. It was a joke that Alexander and Gerry would be declaring. IMO both have the upside to be drafted when it's said an done given proper development. But next year is likely too soon.

BUT, strangers things have happened. Ask the Bullocks bros.

Not sure why people think we have a wealth of talent in our DB. Gerry appears good in pass coverage but struggled in run fits last year. Alexander - who knows since he has been out a year. Banker is a top notch DC and knows far better than any of us what he needs for his defense.

Originally posted by Sooner_or_Later:
Not sure why people think we have a wealth of talent in our DB. Gerry appears good in pass coverage but struggled in run fits last year. Alexander - who knows since he has been out a year. Banker is a top notch DC and knows far better than any of us what he needs for his defense.
I'm not sure the bold is indicative of Gerry's ability as an overall player. Simplification of the D will lead to the secondary playing lights out, IMO.

Yeah I hear that. He may think that we need someone that can tackle a running back before the end zone does it for them. I don't think we are "loaded" back there. "Loaded teams in the secondary should be capable of tackling a running back, or at the very least making some contact before he racks up 400+ yards.

Originally posted by ssmith84:

Originally posted by Sooner_or_Later:
I'm not sure the bold is indicative of Gerry's ability as an overall player. Simplification of the D will lead to the secondary playing lights out, IMO.
Possibly...and hopefully a simpler system will be helpful. I don't know how many times Gerry filled the wrong hole last year. In this case simpler will be better. However, there were also numerous times when he simply was left flat footed after a bit of shake and bake by a running back. Some of that can be fixed with coaching but frankly a lot of instinct.

Originally posted by rrthusker:

Originally posted by Cornicator:

smokin.r191677.gif
Neither is close to ready.
Co siqn rrt. Not even close. Talk about improving big time. I honestly laughed when I read the post.

Holla

If your defense is frequently in a position to be relying on the safety to make a TD-saving tackle one-on-one in the open field, that's the symptom, not the disease. I can't imagine that the run defense won't be better this year.

Originally posted by kakdawg
Co siqn rrt. Not even close. Talk about improving big time. I honestly laughed when I read the post.

Holla
If we're going after a JUCO safety, corner, linebacker etc, something tells me that at least one guy in this past class isn't going to make it to Lincoln. Probably a DB/nickel would be my guess. Lazy recruiters and lower tier programs have to live on high risk recruits.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT