Novavax Vaccine

lost_in_office_space

Senior
Gold Member
Jul 2, 2007
@damcde

Any thoughts on this new vaccine? Seems a more traditional tech using moth cells to generate the protein to be immunized against.

Maybe those that are hesitant with the mRNA technology could be more likely to take this vaccine?

steinek11

All-American
Gold Member
Dec 1, 2014
@damcde

Any thoughts on this new vaccine? Seems a more traditional tech using moth cells to generate the protein to be immunized against.

Maybe those that are hesitant with the mRNA technology could be more likely to take this vaccine?
Yea. Real smart

2e7db9a5daea3a1cea8fe96d6479cbc2.jpg

damcde

All-American
Gold Member
Oct 22, 2007
It uses techniques that have been used in other vaccines. Insect cells are used for HPV vaccines and one of the Influenza vaccines (Flublok). Similar to viral vector technology, insect cells have been used for a few decades in the lab setting.

Then the adjuvant, which is saponin based, is also used in the Shingles vaccine (Herpes zoster).

So hopefully those two things combined will make people more confident to get it vs. the mRNA vaccines. The clinical trial results looked really good.

HUSKERinLA

College Football Hall of Fame
Gold Member
Nov 25, 2007
@damcde

The people who are hesitant to take the vaccine are ... F**K**G STUPID!

1) Untested? Bullshit! 163 Million Americans have gotten the vaccine. That's a massive test in and of itself, and it's clearly safe.

2) Long term side effects? No vaccine has ever had side effects occur after more than a few weeks, and this one has been around for months with none. You know what does have proven, extensive, and large numbers of side effects? F**kin* COVID!

Dumbf**ks!

IM4NUalways

Nebraska Legend
Gold Member
May 31, 2005
Hermitage, Arkansas
The people who are hesitant to take the vaccine are ... F**K**G STUPID!

1) Untested? Bullshit! 163 Million Americans have gotten the vaccine. That's a massive test in and of itself, and it's clearly safe.

2) Long term side effects? No vaccine has ever had side effects occur after more than a few weeks, and this one has been around for months with none. You know what does have proven, extensive, and large numbers of side effects? F**kin* COVID!

Dumbf**ks!
Well I think you have an opinion......I am not agreeing or disagreeing but you do realize it is a free country and they can choose. Call people stupid or dumb F's but hey it is a free country to choose.

Reactions: Jaemekon

Jim14510

Nebraska Football Hall of Fame
Gold Member
Dec 19, 2017
It uses techniques that have been used in other vaccines. Insect cells are used for HPV vaccines and one of the Influenza vaccines (Flublok). Similar to viral vector technology, insect cells have been used for a few decades in the lab setting.

Then the adjuvant, which is saponin based, is also used in the Shingles vaccine (Herpes zoster).

So hopefully those two things combined will make people more confident to get it vs. the mRNA vaccines. The clinical trial results looked really good.
So you're saying this one might actually work?

OneBadHuskerFan

Recruiting Coordinator
Gold Member
Dec 2, 2014
Austin, TX
@damcde

People "hesitant" to take the current vaccines will think of more excuses to not take any other ones. They'll just believe whatever the next round of misinformation is on their Facebook pages anyways.

Reactions: HUSKERinLA

HUSKERinLA

College Football Hall of Fame
Gold Member
Nov 25, 2007
Well I think you have an opinion......I am not agreeing or disagreeing but you do realize it is a free country and they can choose. Call people stupid or dumb F's but hey it is a free country to choose.
We can also ridicule their choice and make them social outcasts. We can prevent unvaccinated morons from going to restaurants, stores, stadiums, and concert halls. We can make it criminal to pretend to be vaccinated. We can fire them for being unvaccinated. We can prevent them going to school for being vaccinated.

Yes, it's a free country, but freedom ends when it endangers others, and it's time for unvaccinated morons to pay severe consequences for their selfish endangerment of public health.

They are not just dumb f**ks, they're dangerous dumb f**ks.

#NoMercyForIdiots

Reactions: kimaniismyffriend

damcde

All-American
Gold Member
Oct 22, 2007
So you're saying this one might actually work?

Should work as well as the mRNA vaccines.

One of the disadvantage of protein subunit vaccines historically has been that they don’t stimulate as strong of a T cell response. So they rely mostly on an antibody response. But the Shingles vaccine that uses a similar adjuvant technology induces a good T cell response. I don’t think that Novavax has released data for CD8 T cells, but I imagine it will be good.

IM4NUalways

Nebraska Legend
Gold Member
May 31, 2005
Hermitage, Arkansas
We can also ridicule their choice and make them social outcasts. We can prevent unvaccinated morons from going to restaurants, stores, stadiums, and concert halls. We can make it criminal to pretend to be vaccinated. We can fire them for being unvaccinated. We can prevent them going to school for being vaccinated.

Yes, it's a free country, but freedom ends when it endangers others, and it's time for unvaccinated morons to pay severe consequences for their selfish endangerment of public health.

They are not just dumb f**ks, they're dangerous dumb f**ks.

#NoMercyForIdiots
So your against freedom. I get it.

Jim14510

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2017
Should work as well as the mRNA vaccines.

One of the disadvantage of protein subunit vaccines historically has been that they don’t stimulate as strong of a T cell response. So they rely mostly on an antibody response. But the Shingles vaccine that uses a similar adjuvant technology induces a good T cell response. I don’t think that Novavax has released data for CD8 T cells, but I imagine it will be good.
I think you missed my sarcasm there.

On a serious note explain this spin to me.

damcde

All-American
Gold Member
Oct 22, 2007
I think you missed my sarcasm there.

On a serious note explain this spin to me.

I feel betrayed and embarrassed now Laughing.

This tweet is a perfect example of why I fvcking hate people sometimes. So the paper in question is looking at natural infection. So in this case, all of the viral proteins are available to make an immune response to. CD4 T cells tend to spread across different proteins relatively evenly. But CD8 T cells tend to recognize specific proteins more than others (called immunodominance). In this case, the main protein CD8 T cells bind to is the Nucleoprotein (which is not in the vaccine). However, as the tween fails to mention, the next common is the Spike protein. Additionally, there have been several papers showing that you get a CD8 T cell response from the mRNA vaccines.

Last edited:
Reactions: zar45 and Jim14510

Jim14510

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2017

This tweet is a perfect example of why I fvcking hate people. So the paper in question is looking at natural infection. So in this case, all of the viral proteins are available to make an immune response to. CD4 T cells tend to spread across different proteins relatively evenly. But CD8 T cells tend to recognize specific proteins more than others (called immunodominance). In this case, the main protein CD8 T cells bind to is the Nucleoprotein (which is not in the vaccine). However, as the tween fails to mention, the next common is the Spike protein. Additionally, there have been several papers showing that you get a CD8 T cell response from the mRNA vaccines.
I'm not sure that makes any more sense than the article did to me but I figured it was a bullshit spin. If nothing else you confirmed that.

Reactions: zar45

Oldschool1964

Offensive Coordinator
Gold Member
Jun 27, 2009
Your mom's house

This tweet is a perfect example of why I fvcking hate people. So the paper in question is looking at natural infection. So in this case, all of the viral proteins are available to make an immune response to. CD4 T cells tend to spread across different proteins relatively evenly. But CD8 T cells tend to recognize specific proteins more than others (called immunodominance). In this case, the main protein CD8 T cells bind to is the Nucleoprotein (which is not in the vaccine). However, as the tween fails to mention, the next common is the Spike protein. Additionally, there have been several papers showing that you get a CD8 T cell response from the mRNA vaccines.
You're a doctor and you hate people?

damcde

All-American
Gold Member
Oct 22, 2007
You're a doctor and you hate people?

Firstly, I meant to put sometimes at the end. Secondly, I am pretty sure that there isn’t a requirement to be a doctor and like everyone. Thirdly, I am a PhD, not an MD, so my feeling towards people really doesn’t matter. Fourthly, the fact that this is what you pick out of all of this shows me what you want to believe.

• Haha
Reactions: zar45 and Jim14510

Oldschool1964

Offensive Coordinator
Gold Member
Jun 27, 2009
Your mom's house
Firstly, I meant to put sometimes at the end. Secondly, I am pretty sure that there isn’t a requirement to be a doctor and like everyone. Thirdly, I am a PhD, not an MD, so my feeling towards people really doesn’t matter. Fourthly, the fact that this is what you pick out of all of this shows me what you want to believe.
All this time I thought you were an MD because that's how you presented yourself. What's your PhD in?

First through Fourthly, yeah, having what I thought was a doctor saying that he hates people is out of the ordinary and is very revealing. But you're a liberal PhD, so I'm not surprised by you saying that. There's a ton more hatred on the left than there is on the right for your fellow man. So yeah, not surprising.

damcde

All-American
Gold Member
Oct 22, 2007
All this time I thought you were an MD because that's how you presented yourself. What's your PhD in?

First through Fourthly, yeah, having what I thought was a doctor saying that he hates people is out of the ordinary and is very revealing. But you're a liberal PhD, so I'm not surprised by you saying that. There's a ton more hatred on the left than there is on the right for your fellow man. So yeah, not surprising.

I have never said that I was an MD. In fact I have said several times that I am a PhD and that it is in Immunology (although I study host microbe interactions).

Do you really think that all PhDs are liberals? I hate to tell you this, but political affiliations has absolutely zero to do with PhD in science. I have worked with people on the left, people on the right, in the middle, people with no political affiliation because they aren’t even from this country. And none of it matters because science doesn’t give a shvt about political affiliation like you want to try and believe it does.

Reactions: zar45

Oldschool1964

Offensive Coordinator
Gold Member
Jun 27, 2009
Your mom's house
I have never said that I was an MD. In fact I have said several times that I am a PhD and that it is in Immunology (although I study host microbe interactions).

Do you really think that all PhDs are liberals? I hate to tell you this, but political affiliations has absolutely zero to do with PhD in science. I have worked with people on the left, people on the right, in the middle, people with no political affiliation because they aren’t even from this country. And none of it matters because science doesn’t give a shvt about political affiliation like you want to try and believe it does.
I'm talking about YOU, a PhD liberal.

And I agree, but politics DOES give a shvt about political affiliation of the science. That's why you see grant money flowing toward "hot political topics" and minimally toward topics that don't have a political angle to them.

damcde

All-American
Gold Member
Oct 22, 2007
I'm talking about YOU, a PhD liberal.

And I agree, but politics DOES give a shvt about political affiliation of the science. That's why you see grant money flowing toward "hot political topics" and minimally toward topics that don't have a political angle to them.

Once again my political affiliation has nothing to do with my PhD (which I am way more in the middle than I am on the left). I am an adult and I can separate my political feelings from my job.

What political topics impact grant money? The grant process is completely separate from rest of the federal government, with other scientists reviewing and deciding what grants to approve.