ADVERTISEMENT

Notre Dames quality loss is as good as Georgia’s

The perception is that SEC teams are more talented because the higher rated recruits are from the south. The betting lines would favor Georgia and Alabama over anyone else in the country. Why not get the best teams in the playoff?

But who needs a conference championship game or even a conference for that matter if two teams from the same conference are put in?

And that's part of my argument with an 8 team playoff. Go to 8 teams and those four extra teams will usually be a couple teams that got 2nd in their conference or a 3rd place, two loss SEC team.

I don’t like somebody losing their way into the playoff. Need a rule that you cannot lose your last game and get into the playoff.

I am for 12 or 16 teams where the top 6 conference champs get in (I'd actually make it 8 conferences and only allow 8 total conferences in FBS).

Conference Championship weekend could be one of the best sports weekends of the year, if conference champs made the playoffs...but I watched about 12 minutes of football this weekend, because most of the games didn't matter much.

College football...where they tell you every game matters, but in reality, very few games actually matter.
Wait a minute….

You think going to a 12 or 16 team playoff would make conference title games matter more?

The logic of people wanting expanded playoffs baffles me. It makes the refular season and conference title games less relevant, not more.

Bama-Georgia ended up meaningless but they didnt know that when they were playing. With a 16, 12, 8, or heck even 6 team playoff format, that conference title game would have been entirely pointless going in to it.

Ditto with OK state vs Baylor.

Regular season games would lose meaning too.

NOT ONE of the expanded playoff pushers has ever been able to answer me this: Why should a team potentially have to beat another team THREE times to win a national title? Because with expanded playoffs beyond 4 teams, that scenario could have happened multiple times in the past five years alone. Can you answer that question for me?

Listen up idiots who can’t figure it out: The playoff is the reason people are calling some conference title and big bowl games “meaningless”. Expanding the playoffs would only make it more likely, not less likely, that conference title games would be meaningless. Further, the reg season would become less exciting.

If people really want to put meaning back in the conferene titles and bowl games you have to get rid of the playoff and go back to the wild west days that made cfb great to begin with. Or, you have to eliminate conference losers from the playoff, which then opens up the possibility of a Georgia type team being left out of a 4, 6, 12, or 16 team playoff and allowing a 7 or 8 win team in (again, rendering the regular season games meaningless.) so that cant happen either.

Most years there arent 4 worthy teams, let alone 12!!

Ban the playoff, and certainly dont expand it!

(And to the SEC or Notre Dame haters….hahaha you guys think an 8 team or more playoff would help thngs?? Hahaha they’d be guaranteed extra spots before the season even began.)

You wouldnt have an issue with making coference title games even more meaningless?
No I wouldn't to be honest. I have no problem with wildcard teams in the NFL so I don't see why it's a problem in the NCAA. If you're going to implement a playoff then do it right or don't do it at all.

I pick Notre Dame to the CFP
Because they are a better football team than Georgia
But if you consider the better TV market , Georgia is the pick. and I’m sure this is where the committee will go.
it sucks , but TV calls the shots.
I hate ND but I would have put them in over CINN. Both would get killed by Bama so I guess it will not matter. Bama gets a bye basically.

I get tired of the SEC too. But if Ohio State had taken care of business against a mediocre Oregon team - at home - then proceeded to lose to Michigan, the Buckeyes would almost certainly be in the playoff. And the same people who are crying a river over Georgia getting in would be all in favor of it, and singing the praises of the mighty Big Ten.

I get tired of the SEC too. But if Ohio State had taken care of business against a mediocre Oregon team - at home - then proceeded to lose to Michigan, the Buckeyes would almost certainly be in the playoff. And the same people who are crying a river over Georgia getting in would be all in favor of it, and singing the praises of the mighty Big Ten.
That would of been fun to watch. 1. Alabama vs 4. OSU; 2. Mich vs 3. Georgia

Yes. early in the year. ND is still a better team if we are basing things off the nest teams at the time of the decision.
How do you figure? Did ND beat one team that finished the season ranked? I’m too lazy to look it up, but their schedule was pretty weak.

That would of been fun to watch. 1. Alabama vs 4. OSU; 2. Mich vs 3. Georgia
Yeah it would have been interesting. But when you lose at home to a team that lost to 3-9 Stanford and got shit-stomped twice by Utah, you have to run the table after that. If Georgia had a similar stain on their early-season schedule, they'd be staying home.

How do you figure? Did ND beat one team that finished the season ranked? I’m too lazy to look it up, but their schedule was pretty weak.
Not sure but I just think at this point from the eyeball test they always talk about ND is better. It would be so funny to see them select ND and watch the Cinn implosion.

Notre Dame beat three bad teams by three points apiece. Complain all you want about Georgia’s schedule, they at least crushed everyone besides Bama.

Reactions: HuskerO
Georgia had the #2 strength of schedule. Notre Dame's was #18.
Hmm interesting. Georgia has proven they can pummel fringe top 25 teams, but can’t compete against top tier teams. Maybe they can beat Mich and prove my eyes wrong.

ND hasn’t beaten ONE (currently) ranked team. Their best win is Wisconsin.

Reactions: huntered
Georgia had the #2 strength of schedule. Notre Dame's was #18.
What? Something don't add up with Georgia at #2. I would think Nebraska had a more difficult schedule considering OU, Michigan, Ohio State and Michigan State were the top teams we played. Georgia played Kentucky and Alabama.

What? Something don't add up with Georgia at #2. I would think Nebraska had a more difficult schedule considering OU, Michigan, Ohio State and Michigan State were the top teams we played. Georgia played Kentucky and Alabama.
I think Georgia gets bonus points for squeaking by #3 Clemson in week 1. Clemson was obviously garbage this year.

Hmm interesting. Georgia has proven they can pummel fringe top 25 teams, but can’t compete against top tier teams. Maybe they can beat Mich and prove my eyes wrong.

ND hasn’t beaten ONE (currently) ranked team. Their best win is Wisconsin.

What makes Michigan top tier? They beat one team with a pulse (OSU). The same OSU that got clobbered by an average Oregon team.

Wait a minute….

You think going to a 12 or 16 team playoff would make conference title games matter more?

The logic of people wanting expanded playoffs baffles me. It makes the refular season and conference title games less relevant, not more.

Bama-Georgia ended up meaningless but they didnt know that when they were playing. With a 16, 12, 8, or heck even 6 team playoff format, that conference title game would have been entirely pointless going in to it.

Ditto with OK state vs Baylor.

Regular season games would lose meaning too.

NOT ONE of the expanded playoff pushers has ever been able to answer me this: Why should a team potentially have to beat another team THREE times to win a national title? Because with expanded playoffs beyond 4 teams, that scenario could have happened multiple times in the past five years alone. Can you answer that question for me?

Listen up idiots who can’t figure it out: The playoff is the reason people are calling some conference title and big bowl games “meaningless”. Expanding the playoffs would only make it more likely, not less likely, that conference title games would be meaningless. Further, the reg season would become less exciting.

If people really want to put meaning back in the conferene titles and bowl games you have to get rid of the playoff and go back to the wild west days that made cfb great to begin with. Or, you have to eliminate conference losers from the playoff, which then opens up the possibility of a Georgia type team being left out of a 4, 6, 12, or 16 team playoff and allowing a 7 or 8 win team in (again, rendering the regular season games meaningless.) so that cant happen either.

Most years there arent 4 worthy teams, let alone 12!!

Ban the playoff, and certainly dont expand it!

(And to the SEC or Notre Dame haters….hahaha you guys think an 8 team or more playoff would help thngs?? Hahaha they’d be guaranteed extra spots before the season even began.)
How many games this weekend actually had an impact on who made the title game.

four?

Big 12, AAC, SEC and Big ten

no other game mattered...and in three of those games it only mattered to one team...imagine if in all the conference championship games, the winner made the playoff....now every game down the stretch to get into your conference championship game is a meaningful game....

The thing I have always disliked about college football, is you can lose a game or two early and the season is over...Teams evolve throughout a year and the best teams get better and improve.

I am in favor of more automatic bids...I think that makes the playoff better, that way you have to win a championship to get in...throw in a some at larges to appease everyone (I would prefer no at large bids) and you have significantly more meaningful games throughout the season.

ND played to ranked opponents and went 1-1 against them (0 wins against end of season top 25 teams). Georgia played 5 ranked opponents and went 4-1. Enough said.

ND fan... Georgia deserves to be in over them. This was a rebuilding year for the Irish... replaced 10+ starters including 4 OL, QB, TE.

But, I still have no idea why anyone thinks ND needs to join a conference to make the playoffs? They routinely play a harder schedule than most... they play coast to coast.... they have never played a AA (FBS) program..

In all honesty, why would ND ever join a conference? Is this just envy from teams wishing they could be independent?

Also, ND may have been blownout in the CFP, we will never know. But I think 75% of all CFP games have been a blowout.... hell ND only getting beat by 17 last year against Bama was one of the 'closer' ones.... before they went on to embarrass the best of the Big 10 in the NC.

Go Irish.

Don’t know what’s so hard to figure out here.

Cincinnati beat Notre Dame in South Bend..
End of story.

Reactions: HuskerO
I am in favor of more automatic bids...I think that makes the playoff better, that way you have to win a championship to get in...throw in a some at larges to appease everyone (I would prefer no at large bids) and you have significantly more meaningful games throughout the season.
This would mean that Utah (Pac12 champs) who had 3 regular season losses would get in over 3-4 other schools who had 2 or fewer losses (in a 8 team playoff).

Doesn't make much sense to me.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT