ADVERTISEMENT

Notre Dames quality loss is as good as Georgia’s

This would mean that Utah (Pac12 champs) who had 3 regular season losses would get in over 3-4 other schools who had 2 or fewer losses (in a 8 team playoff).

Doesn't make much sense to me.
I have no problem with that...That is a feature not a bug.

Winning a conference should be a big deal....

Since there is so little crossover games, 3 losses in one conference might not mean anything....where as 2 losses in a another conference could mean you suck.

I have no problem with that...That is a feature not a bug.

Winning a conference should be a big deal....

Since there is so little crossover games, 3 losses in one conference might not mean anything....where as 2 losses in a another conference could mean you suck.
3 losses mean you suck in any conference.

Reactions: HuskerO
and If you can't win your conference, you aren't a champion, so why should you compete for a national championship.
Not all conferences are equal.

2017 Pac12, the entire conference had 3 teams ranked in the Top 25 (one came from the South division). The SEC West division alone had 4 teams finished ranked in the Top 25.

These things matter & the entire season matters especially if you're in a tougher conference. Not just the conference championship game.

Not all conferences are equal.

2017 Pac12, the entire conference had 3 teams ranked in the Top 25 (one came from the South division). The SEC West division alone had 4 teams finished ranked in the Top 25.

These things matter & the entire season matters especially if you're in a tougher conference. Not just the conference championship game.
I agree not all conferences are the same...but sometimes the perception is one conference is superior to another but since there are little to no crossover games, that perception could be wrong.

That is why ratings to me are the worst way to put teams into a playoff. Ole Miss has a good record in the SEC and that seems great, but as far as we know, there record could be worse in other conferences....we just don't know, because they don't play each other.

Use the regular season to eliminate all but on team from each conference and play a tournament of conference champions to determine the best team....All teams had a chance to win their conference....yeah, some conferences are better and worse, but using the eye test isn't the way to pick a champion, IMO.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT