ADVERTISEMENT

Not sure it’s on a plate more now for NU to rejoin big 12

We go back to the Big XII and in a few years Texas decides to put to us again and takes OU with them to $EC we are dead forever. The conference would need a network and bring Arkansas, Arizona and ASU with us to make it worth the risk.

This is funny because that WVU fan in the other thread said Big 12 fans really weren't desperate to have NU return.

NU is staying in the Big Ten. Aside from this punch in the nuts this Fall, the Big Ten is a far superior place for the University as a whole than any other league. Once NU starts playing better football, these topics will end.

This is funny because that WVU fan in the other thread said Big 12 fans really weren't desperate to have NU return.

NU is staying in the Big Ten. Aside from this punch in the nuts this Fall, the Big Ten is a far superior place for the University as a whole than any other league. Once NU starts playing better football, these topics will end.
Agree. And when Alvarez leaves his role as defacto commissioner the environment will improve as well

Reactions: HuskerHackFraud

WVU needs to join the B1G and get out of that awkward marriage with the texass run league.

We go back to the Big XII and in a few years Texas decides to put to us again and takes OU with them to $EC we are dead forever. The conference would need a network and bring Arkansas, Arizona and ASU with us to make it worth the risk.

zero % Chance Texas does that again. Karma is a bitch.

you guys are dumb. Hard to reason with you. I’m telling you like it is. It will be I told you so again in 5 years. I’m saying I told you so now from leaving originally. I want NU brand of football back. Trust me. It’s good for CFB. But only will happen in the league where it belongs.

Forget my school allegiance. grew up liking NU actually in big 8...I’m telling you what everyone In America and every NU alumni I’ve talked to is saying. For some reason this board has some idiots who can’t see what’s right in front of them

zero % Chance Texas does that again. Karma is a bitch.

you guys are dumb. Hard to reason with you. I’m telling you like it is. It will be I told you so again in 5 years. I’m saying I told you so now from leaving originally. I want NU brand of football back. Trust me. It’s good for CFB. But only will happen in the league where it belongs.

Forget my school allegiance. grew up liking NU actually in big 8...I’m telling you what everyone In America and every NU alumni I’ve talked to is saying. For some reason this board has some idiots who can’t see what’s right in front of them

You and every other person in America that cares, including NU fans, need to get it through your heads that this isn’t just about football. If I’ve said this once, I’ve said it a hundred times. NU is first and foremost an institution of higher education. While football may have been the catalyst to move to the Big Ten make no mistake, there was a financial motivation on the academic side as well. The BILLIONS of dollars that funnel through CIC research grants make football money look like chump change. Nebraska will not walk away from the BIG and it’s academic prestige and resulting finances for .0005% of the student population just because they miss a few games one fall and for some nostalgic alumni longing for the good ole days. Nebraska is in the Big Ten and that will not change anytime in the foreseeable future.

From somebody who was sure Ryan Leaf was going to be a better pro than Manning...I find it very satisfying to see so many people come around to my way of thinking all these years later about our move to the B1G.

Networks are overrated. P12 doesn't have a network (technically it does, but it is a worthless shitshow.)

Arkansas won't come back. UA and ASU probably won't. Maybe a package of CU and CSU would work. Maybe Mizzou.

Reactions: ozsker
It boggles my mind that threads suggesting NU leave the Big Ten gets any traction at all. Our grandchildren would curse us forever if we turned our back on the best thing to happen to the University of Nebraska outside of hiring Bob Devaney. Leaving the B1G would be like hiring Mike Riley again.

Reactions: scarletred
It boggles my mind that threads suggesting NU leave the Big Ten gets any traction at all. Our grandchildren would curse us forever if we turned our back on the best thing to happen to the University of Nebraska outside of hiring Bob Devaney. Leaving the B1G would be like hiring Mike Riley again.

What's so great about it? Academics?? Nobody confuses Northwestern with Nebraska. TV payouts? An enhanced B12 will get you just about as much $ as the B10 after the next round of negotiations.

Why would you want to be remain in a conference where you are an afterthought in the crappy division? The B10 is about OSU, Michigan, Penn St, and Wisconsin...everyone after that is noise.

Reactions: wholeo
It took Nebraska 100 and some years to get close to its first billion dollars in endowment in the B8/B12. Its taken only 10 to get close to its second in the B1G basically.

Last edited:
It took Nebraska 100 and some years to get close to its first billion dollars in endowment in the B8/B12. Its taken only 10 to get close to its second in the B1G basically.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_colleges_and_universities_in_the_United_States_by_endowment

Where are you getting those figures? I'm sure not seeing any hugely impressive endowment increase for NU that appears to be due to the Big 10 in the link above - in 2007, NU's endowment was $1.277 billion; in 2019, it was $1.436 billion - a $159 million increase. In comparison, KU's endowment increased $578 million ( $1.239 billion to $1.817 billion) in the same period. Iowa State had an endowment of $1.102 billion in 2019 (it was under a billion in 2007).

Reactions: scarletred
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_colleges_and_universities_in_the_United_States_by_endowment

Where are you getting those figures? I'm sure not seeing any hugely impressive endowment increase for NU that appears to be due to the Big 10 in the link above - in 2007, NU's endowment was $1.277 billion; in 2019, it was $1.436 billion - a $159 million increase. In comparison, KU's endowment increased $578 million ( $1.239 billion to $1.817 billion) in the same period. Iowa State had an endowment of $1.102 billion in 2019 (it was under a billion in 2007).

In the OWH today I think McKewons article said it was under a billion in 2009 and 1.7 something in 2018-19

I don’t know how you screw this up now.

on a platter for both sides to make things right again.

not a fit. Not a fit. Not a fit. X1000
I agree 100%.

NU had a chance, one shot to reverse course, and they didn't have the stones to do it.

Nu will not return to its former glory. It's been put out to pasture.. retirement style.

TO would roll over in his grave.. oh wait. what a travesty for him to see what he has done to the program by making a rush to put us in this miserable conference.

Reactions: SheldonJoe2215

Lol....no, nothing could be worse than that.

Reactions: SheldonJoe2215
Oh yes, this has just been wonderful.....

What's so great about it? Academics?? Nobody confuses Northwestern with Nebraska. TV payouts? An enhanced B12 will get you just about as much $ as the B10 after the next round of negotiations.

Why would you want to be remain in a conference where you are an afterthought in the crappy division? The B10 is about OSU, Michigan, Penn St, and Wisconsin...everyone after that is noise.

You’re not thinking big picture. The dollar difference for sports now is 15 million a year. Every year. No way the Big 12 ever bridges that gap.

And yes, academics is a HUGE part of it. That’s why your grandkids will be pissed if we abandon the B1G. Every year that goes by, NU’s academic cred grows a little bit. NU will never be Northwestern. They don’t have to be. But they can be among the best state universities in the country.

On the field, the struggles are all Nebraska. Not the Big Ten. Nebraska.

Think of the children.

Pales in comparison to the treatment we get from the B1G constantly. But this is what we have signed up for, for eternity.
You're entitled to your opinion, I just disagree. I don't see how you can say the way Texas and their cronies treated us pales in comparison. To what specifically? Because the Big 12 literally robbed us of a conference championship that we rightfully won.

You’re not thinking big picture. The dollar difference for sports now is 15 million a year. Every year. No way the Big 12 ever bridges that gap.

And yes, academics is a HUGE part of it. That’s why your grandkids will be pissed if we abandon the B1G. Every year that goes by, NU’s academic cred grows a little bit. NU will never be Northwestern. They don’t have to be. But they can be among the best state universities in the country.

On the field, the struggles are all Nebraska. Not the Big Ten. Nebraska.

Think of the children.
You are wrong on your numbers and you do not understand the teir 3 money that each Big 12 school gets in addition to the conference payout. The Big 12 is the only conference where each team has their own teir 3 money.

You are wrong on your numbers and you do not understand the teir 3 money that each Big 12 school gets in addition to the conference payout. The Big 12 is the only conference where each team has their own teir 3 money.

Help me understand. Is NU losing money by being in the Big Ten?

There is a point to the Tier 3 money. However, you aren't looking at the fact that Nebraska, the university, has an ownership stake in BTN. That is a tangible asset that if sold would bring in a profit much greater than the amount of the current Big 12 Tier 3 money. Point being if, for whatever reason, Fox decided they wanted to buy the schools, and the league, out of their roughly 50% ownership in BTN, the schools would get that windfall. The first several years of the lower conference payments was for Nebraska to purchase their ownership in the BTN. Not to get too much into the weeds, but the value of the ownership of the BTN is much greater than the amount Nebraska paid for it, and much larger than the amount K State earns from having their own Tier 3 rights.

Not necessarily true. Technically, the BTN is a tier 3. Each school gets their prorated portion of that tier 3 income.

You and every other person in America that cares, including NU fans, need to get it through your heads that this isn’t just about football. If I’ve said this once, I’ve said it a hundred times. NU is first and foremost an institution of higher education. While football may have been the catalyst to move to the Big Ten make no mistake, there was a financial motivation on the academic side as well. The BILLIONS of dollars that funnel through CIC research grants make football money look like chump change. Nebraska will not walk away from the BIG and it’s academic prestige and resulting finances for .0005% of the student population just because they miss a few games one fall and for some nostalgic alumni longing for the good ole days. Nebraska is in the Big Ten and that will not change anytime in the foreseeable future.

Hear about these massive grants a lot but couldn’t find any info on it, you have a source for that? Everything I found basically just says it helps foster general collaboration, not necessarily leading to any grants that preferentially go to the member institutions, and certainly not billions as you’re claiming. Here’s a link from UNL when they changed the name from CIC to BTAA which says members get specialized faster internet, expanded library and collaborative purchase agreements. https://news.unl.edu/newsrooms/unltoday/article/cic-becomes-big-ten-academic-alliance/ Nothing extremely overwhelming.

Hear about these massive grants a lot but couldn’t find any info on it, you have a source for that? Everything I found basically just says it helps foster general collaboration, not necessarily leading to any grants that preferentially go to the member institutions, and certainly not billions as you’re claiming. Here’s a link from UNL when they changed the name from CIC to BTAA which says members get specialized faster internet, expanded library and collaborative purchase agreements. https://news.unl.edu/newsrooms/unltoday/article/cic-becomes-big-ten-academic-alliance/ Nothing extremely overwhelming.

This is 2016-2017 reporting, but $10 billion in funded research. More than Ivy League and California research systems combined. $10 BILLION in a single year. While it’s not divided equally, if it was that would equate to over $714 million a year. That’s almost 13 times what football brings in. Football was the catalyst, but academics played a huge role.

https://www.btaa.org/docs/default-source/reports/btaa-annual-report-16-17-accessible.pdf

They did for the first 10 years they have been in the BIG. Read the thread $$$ Nebraska has made in the BIG.

It boggles my mind that you can’t see the big picture. NU will continue to earn more in the Big Ten. Every year. Until the end of time. That’s only sports. That doesn’t include the other, EXTREMELY LARGE, part of the equation, which is enhanced academic credibility.

I know the Big 12 is hopelessly desperate for NU to return. It won’t happen. It would be like hiring Mike Riley again. Pure foolishness.

ADVERTISEMENT