ADVERTISEMENT

Not So Good Company

coolonetoo

Junior
May 12, 2003
College baseball season starts two weeks from tomorrow.

On Friday, February 19, 95 games are scheduled between 190 teams. These conferences have no games scheduled for any member teams opening weekend:

Ivy League - Canceled fall and winter sports--spring sports are officially delayed but may be canceled
Metro Atlantic - Season starts March 30
America East - Season starts February 26
Big Ten - No plans announced

Hey now, Bill Moos tried! Really, really, really hard!

RPI is important for hoops, that's why they allowed non-conference games. It is in baseball too, but no answer. Bill Moos' own words, not just sad but embarrassing.

44 conference schedule, no details given or timeline to release schedule. Again, Bill Moos' own words.

Reactions: umpy69er
44 conference schedule, no details given or timeline to release schedule.
There was this from WILX in Lansing last week. Unconfirmed, I suppose, but it sounds less than ideal.

“Games will be played on week ends only, doubleheaders on Fridays and Saturdays, Sundays used for rainouts, for the most part. Games will last nine innings unless first games of doubleheaders go extra innings, then the second games will go seven innings. The schedule will run 12 week ends beginning March 5th and their will be no Big Ten tournament played this year.”

There was this from WILX in Lansing last week. Unconfirmed, I suppose, but it sounds less than ideal.

“Games will be played on week ends only, doubleheaders on Fridays and Saturdays, Sundays used for rainouts, for the most part. Games will last nine innings unless first games of doubleheaders go extra innings, then the second games will go seven innings. The schedule will run 12 week ends beginning March 5th and their will be no Big Ten tournament played this year.”
That sounds terrible.

Wow. Double headers on back to back days every weekend for 10-11 weeks. Talk about a grind. How is this going to be enjoyable to these kids? I predict lots of errors. Probably should let the entire 35 man roster travel.

I've heard it'll be a 1-2-1 weekend. Round Rock, Texas keeps coming up as a possibility for us the first weekend or two.

NCAA also announced pitchers will not be able to lick their fingers or blow in their hands but are allowed a wet rag in their back pocket. No joke, Kendall Rogers tweeted it earlier today.

Thank goodness football, basketball & volleyball players are allowed to do it while baseball isn't.

Ah, 1-2-1 makes a lot more sense.

A wet rag in the back of their pocket? Who wants to do that?

Thought this tweet was interesting.

The NCAA also will allow the MLB extra-inning rule to be used in 2021, a move that was expected. The player starting the extra inning on second base is the player immediately in front of the first batter in the inning. Conferences can decide to use it or coaches can decide before hand if they are going to use it.

I'm putting the over/under on ANY word from the league office at 8 days from now. Tuesday, February 16.

OK, the softball schedule was announced today. Baseball has to be right around the corner, right?

OK, the softball schedule was announced today. Baseball has to be right around the corner, right?
You would think so. Likely similar to softball which is total BS. Big 10 is a complete joke. No conference tourney for a social distanced outdoor sport, but yes for basketball? They obviously don't care about the players or the game. All about $$$.

Must be nice to have an Athletic Director with enough pull to delay the schedule. Or, enough pull to do anything.

Must be nice to have an Athletic Director with enough pull to delay the schedule. Or, enough pull to do anything.
I really don’t understand your continued animosity toward Bill Moos. Are you actually blaming the no-schedule mess on him?

No, the schedule isn't on Moos. It's controlled by the idiot commissioner.

I would bet that the majority of the AD’s are getting very tired of how Warren has been running things his first year...

Been nothing but a $&it show from the start....

Reactions: trwebe
Glad we're at least hearing rumblings of something happening with the schedule now. I was beginning to wonder whether the conference would just pull the plug on the season entirely. I wouldn't have put it past this joke of a commissioner to do it.

Reactions: scarletred
No, the schedule isn't on Moos. It's controlled by the idiot commissioner.
The B1G clearly isn't considering the well being of baseball players here. NU could easily get in a bus and drive to KSU, KU, Creighton and Omaha. With 2-3 game series that could easily add 8 to 12 games to NU's schedule with virtually no more risk that holing up in Lincoln during that time. It's ludicrous and from the conference standpoint could cost them some TV money.

Round Rock & Minneapolis first two weekends, March 5 opening.

Testing protocol of other conferences seem to be the reason we're limited to B1G play only. At least that's the excuse given. Funny part about that; bowl games, and all other NCAA tournaments (hoops, volleyball, bowling, gymnastics, etc) doesn't have the same, or higher, testing requirements like the B1G.

Again, Kevin Warren is a failure.

Last edited:
Round Rock & Minneapolis first two weekends, March 5 opening.
Perhaps you're referring to this from the Detroit News today:

The Big Ten Conference held a Zoom call Wednesday to discuss scheduling and is expected to announce soon that teams will play 44-game conference-only slates, starting March 5, according to Michigan coach Erik Bakich. "We're all staring at our computers, waiting for the schedule," Bakich said with a laugh.

And this from Kendall Rogers:

Hearing that @B1Gbaseball will host an early season tournament at Dell Diamond in Round Rock, TX on March 5-7. Teams involved in the tournament are expected to be
@Husker_Baseball, @UIBaseball
, @umichbaseball and @PurdueBaseball.

Let's assume both are accurate. That means...

PLAY BEGINS IN THREE WEEKS, 3-5 STATES AWAY FROM CAMPUSES, AND TEAMS ARE STILL WAITING ON SCHEDULES!!!

This is beyond ridiculous. It's insane.

Last edited:
It wasn't in reference from any of those, but appreciate the RR confirmation from Kendall.

Last edited:
It doesn't sound like Kendall has it correct. Word is 4 games against Purdue in Round Rock.

Maybe it'll change again tomorrow.

ADVERTISEMENT